Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #1516
BelleBriarRose
Mouseketeer

I, too, am relieved that Colm Wilkinson will take part in the Les Miserables project, but not as relieved as I am that Taylor Swift will not be playing Eponine. Nothing against Tay Swift, but it takes a certain amount of grit and toughness to pull of a role like Eponine.
BelleBriarRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:25 AM   #1517
Kimberle
WL Vet

Whoo Hooo!! Just downloaded the Newsies CD from Itunes! It's available today!
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level
Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-10-2012, 07:52 AM   #1518
czycropper
DIS Veteran

donac - I just told my DD about that scene and she can't wait to see it, it was one of her favs at the Papermill production!

We're on countdown mode and can't wait! I'm driving in since it looks like its going to be a rainy evening tomorrow but that's my excuse this time I actually don't mind driving in.

The other great news is that my DH got Evita tickets as our anniversary present and so did my BFF DH, so it's going to be a nice adult night out - I guess all the hints that my BFF & I gave our DHs at Easter dinner worked

1972 - 1975 - Offsite; 1976 - Contemporary; 1977-1988 - Off site; 1992 - POR/Swan; 2004 - Poly Concierge; 2005 - off site; 2008 - 6/22-6/26 @CBR for dance with Disney Magical Music Days
2009 - 5/22-27 - quick trip to Discovery Cove & Busch Gardens
2011 - WWoHP

Non-Orlando trips
2006 - Colorado
2007 - Caribbean
2010 - Galapagos
2012 - Cedar Point/Holiday World/Hershey Park/Great Adventure/Dorney Park - aka "The Great Roller Coaster Vacation"
2013 - England & France
czycropper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #1519
MissDisney121
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in IA View Post
Meant to thank you for that link!

Those pictures are fantastic! Can't wait to see the finished product!
I'm so glad Colm Wilkinson is going to be in this movie. Although the rold of the Bishop is usually a bass/baritone, Colm has been a part of this show from the beginning, and it would have been a shame if he had not been in the movie.

Hugh looks like he got a bad haircut!

And so does Anne Hathaway!

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertai...shorter-locks/

They both don't have the best haircuts but it makes sense doesn't it. Back then I don't think hookers or prisoners went to a salon.

Deb, I'm glad your excited about the new broadway season here. I think it looks really good maybe better than this year's season although I am always really excited when there is Wicked and no Wicked this year but everything else is great.

MissDisney121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #1520
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM View Post
Even more set pictures from Les Miserables here, looks like they're filming the Soliloquy song after the bishop scene (there were also pictures of Colm Wilkinson on set yesterday, he's playing the Bishop):

http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Hugh+Ja...es/xxh1V0XfZ3h

Looks amazing!
Here's some video from that same scene.

You can hear Hugh singing at the beginning of the clip!!!

Interesting how the building looks so old, and then when they pull out, you see so many modern buildings right next to it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjvhTXVZROs

Here's a clip of Russell Crowe as Javert:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK8hZ...feature=relmfu

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:09 PM   #1521
My2Cinderellas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDisney121 View Post
Oh My God I am just so excited right now. I just got home from the Announcement event at the civic center here in Des Moines where they announced the 2012-2013 broadway season. I am so excited. I'm gonna list them here to see what you all think of them and for Deb in IA.
Les Miserables, Beauty and the Beast, War Horse, The Book of Mormon, Jekyll & Hyde (pre broadway run with Constantine Maroulis!!!!!), Rock of Ages, Jersey Boys and Million Dollar Quartet (who performed tonight at the announcement and were amazing). I am beyond excited about this whole line up and can't wait to buy my season tickets.
It's a nice mix of old and new looking forward to the season! I'm loving how shows go out on tour much sooner than they used to, but still can't quite believe we are getting Book of Mormon.

"I'd like to stop people from passing off narrow-mindedness and intolerance as family values." - Alan Shore, Boston Legal
My2Cinderellas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #1522
TimeforMe
Remember who you are
It was great taking a nap everyday, wasn't it?
I for one enjoy getting dressed up on occasion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyMickey View Post
Anyway, just went and saw "Once" with my brothers this past week. We're all huge fans of the movie and went in with trepidation since we didn't think it could compare to the great Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova film (who we've also seen live and are fantastic together). Nevertheless, it exceeded my expectations...and it was a huge improvement over Spiderman...the last Broadway show my brothers and I ventured out to see.

Anyway, (in a little bit of self-promotion) my full review of Once can be found on my blog linked in my signature below (my Spidey review can be found there, too by clicking on the Broadway tag on my site).
Hello RyMickey: I just read your wonderful review of "Once". It is at the top of my list for shows I want to see in the near future. (Unfortunately, my theater partner wants to see Jesus Christ Superstar and it's her turn to pick) I, too, LOVED the movie which I consider one of my all-time favorites. I LOVE the music as well and according to your review, I'm happy to hear you weren't disappointed. Thanks for the review!

Anyone see JCS in person yet? Any reviews?
TimeforMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #1523
JenM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Here's some video from that same scene.

You can hear Hugh singing at the beginning of the clip!!!

Interesting how the building looks so old, and then when they pull out, you see so many modern buildings right next to it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjvhTXVZROs

Here's a clip of Russell Crowe as Javert:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK8hZ...feature=relmfu
Yep, saw those...how amazing do they look?? Hugh and Russell are both on Twitter (actually, it seems like the whole cast is). Russell posted this about two weeks ago:

Quote:
Russell Crowe @russellcrowe
5am-12.30am,door 2 door,long day. Had a bit of a sing,released a prisonner on payrole after 19 years...24601...enjoy your hours of freedom
It also seems like being a movie star and an Oscar winner does not protect you from being a victim of auto-correct, going by the spelling.

Hugh also posted what appears to be the first 'official' picture from the movie, and again once he got to get rid of the convict beard:

Quote:
Hugh Jackman‏@RealHughJackman
Very excited about how the first days of filming are going!! Check out my convict look...but its changing soon. http://twitter.com/RealHughJac...392028667904/photo/1
Quote:
Awesome burger at Jamie Oliver's restaurant in Portsmouth last night. After no carbs for ages...heaven! http://twitter.com/RealHughJac...584530292737/photo/1

And yes, the convict beard and hair are gone. Got to shave it off last night
He looks much better now. And that burger looked delicious.

There are more pictures here - apparently they were filming "Do You Hear the People Sing?" this week, and what appears to be General Lamarque's funeral. It also looks like Eponine (dressed as a boy) is there as well: http://westendwendyblog.wordpress.co...erables-film/#

There are also some photos going around of a giant elephant statue - that's from the original novel. It's the Elephant of the Bastille, and it's where Gavroche was living.

It's soooo awesome, I can't wait!
JenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #1524
JenM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberle View Post
Whoo Hooo!! Just downloaded the Newsies CD from Itunes! It's available today!
I haven't stopped listening to it since yesterday! I love it!

I'm seeing it on April 30th, I can't wait.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:42 AM   #1525
czycropper
DIS Veteran

Newsies was absolutely FANTASTIC! I actually liked it better than Billy Elliott (my DD better not see this post or I'll be shot ).

Loved the expanded scenes from the PaperMill production. My only complaint was that there were some teen groupies at the show and they won't shut up during the dance scenes - even my DD14 turned around and said something to them.

My DD14, who's a dancer was saying that she would love to talk to the choreographer since the dancing was such better with this production. My DD12 (the cheerleader) said "Mom, he did a triple backspring with a layout". She didn't go to the PaperMill show so it was all new to her.

1972 - 1975 - Offsite; 1976 - Contemporary; 1977-1988 - Off site; 1992 - POR/Swan; 2004 - Poly Concierge; 2005 - off site; 2008 - 6/22-6/26 @CBR for dance with Disney Magical Music Days
2009 - 5/22-27 - quick trip to Discovery Cove & Busch Gardens
2011 - WWoHP

Non-Orlando trips
2006 - Colorado
2007 - Caribbean
2010 - Galapagos
2012 - Cedar Point/Holiday World/Hershey Park/Great Adventure/Dorney Park - aka "The Great Roller Coaster Vacation"
2013 - England & France
czycropper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:38 AM   #1526
Deb in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM View Post
Yep, saw those...how amazing do they look?? Hugh and Russell are both on Twitter (actually, it seems like the whole cast is). Russell posted this about two weeks ago:

It also seems like being a movie star and an Oscar winner does not protect you from being a victim of auto-correct, going by the spelling.

Hugh also posted what appears to be the first 'official' picture from the movie, and again once he got to get rid of the convict beard:

He looks much better now. And that burger looked delicious.

There are more pictures here - apparently they were filming "Do You Hear the People Sing?" this week, and what appears to be General Lamarque's funeral. It also looks like Eponine (dressed as a boy) is there as well: http://westendwendyblog.wordpress.co...erables-film/#

There are also some photos going around of a giant elephant statue - that's from the original novel. It's the Elephant of the Bastille, and it's where Gavroche was living.

It's soooo awesome, I can't wait!
A huge elephant?!?!?

Other than that, the set, cast, and costumes look FANTASTIC!!!

Thanks for the Twitter news too. I can't get the links to work, but I love reading about what the stars are doing.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #1527
JenM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
A huge elephant?!?!?
Yep - it really existed! Here's more info on the Elephant of the Bastille:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant_of_the_Bastille

Quote:
The Elephant of the Bastille was a monument in Paris between 1813 and 1846. Originally conceived in 1808 by Napoleon, the statue was intended to be created out of bronze and placed in Place de la Bastille, but only a plaster full-scale model was built. At 24 m (78 ft) in height the model itself became a very recognisable construction and was to be immortalised by Victor Hugo in his novel Les Misérables in which it is used as a shelter by Gavroche. It was built at the site of the Bastille and although part of the original construction remains the elephant itself was replaced by the July Column.
Here's the reference from the book - Gavroche was the Thernardier's son in the book, his parents kicked him out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavroche

Quote:
The Thénardiers sell (or rent) their two youngest sons to a woman named Magnon. Due to a freak accident, the two boys are separated from Magnon without identification, and encounter Gavroche purely by chance. They are unaware of their identities, but Gavroche invites them to live with him and takes care of them. They reside in the hollow cavity of a giant elephant statue, the Elephant of the Bastille conceived by Napoleon as a fountain, but abandoned unfinished. This was no imaginary construction; located at the Place de la Bastille, it had been designed by Jean-Antoine Alavoine. The two boys soon leave him the next morning. They are last seen at the Luxembourg Gardens retrieving and eating discarded bread from a fountain. It is unknown what has happened to the two after that.
They were filming "Look Down" earlier this week, and the elephant was part of the set, so the thinking is that's where Gavroche will be for his "How do you do? My name's Gavroche..." intro.

This is the kid playing Gavroche - he also played him in the London production: http://screenterrier.blogspot.com/20...-gavroche.html

Quote:
Other than that, the set, cast, and costumes look FANTASTIC!!!

Thanks for the Twitter news too. I can't get the links to work, but I love reading about what the stars are doing.
There's more! Here's Marius and Enjolras, at what appears to be General Lamarque's funeral: http://hope72.tumblr.com/tagged/eddie-redmayne

Looks incredible!
Old 04-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #1528
Deb in IA

I don't know . . . that elephant butt is hilarious!

Old 04-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #1529
JenM
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I'm hoping that somehow doesn't make it into the final shot...

So there's video of "Do You Hear the People Sing?" being shot. No audio, since security was tight amongst the onlookers, but awesome video nonetheless - looks like the battle starts during Lamarque's funeral.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd0DU...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #1530
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

Quote:

I clicked on the link for this thread, hit the "End" button on my keyboard to get to the last post on the page to scroll backwards to the last post I've read and I'm going, "Huh??? Is that an elephant's butt???

Only on the DIS!
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: