Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2014, 10:21 PM   #1
phred52
I love vacation!

Jacksonville Florida questions

Soo, there's this job offer for Jacksonville, Florida. I am clueless as to where to find info like good schools, family neighborhoods, churches, etc.

Anyone have suggestions where I can find solid info? Which suburbs are promising and why? Thanks for any help!
phred52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:52 PM   #2
sms
DIS Veteran

http://city-data.com

Go to the forums on this website (found at the top of page). You might be able to find some info. Good luck!!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-13-2014, 06:33 PM   #3
gottaluvPluto
I feel like Tink and Tigger

Where is the job and what kind of commute do you want? Jacksonville is very spread out.

St Johns County is a fantastic area. Are you okay with CDD fees?

The greatest gifts you can give your children are the roots of responsibility and the wings of independence.

Last edited by gottaluvPluto; 04-13-2014 at 11:20 PM. Reason: typo--CDD fees
gottaluvPluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:07 AM   #4
cbg1027
I knew I had converted him when he started pointing out hidden Mickeys to me!

I think your best bet is people familiar with the area.

My husband is from Jax and his family still lives there, so here's what I can share what I have picked up from him:

Some of the good areas to live include Southside, Mandarin, Ponte Vedra, and St John's County. I know there are others but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Jacksonville is the largest city in the US in terms of square mileage. It's extremely spread out with some nice areas and some not-so-nice areas. Jax is very racially segregated and as a result the school situation in Duval county isn't the most ideal.

My husband and I don't want children, but we both agree that if we did have them, we would choose to live in Tallahassee FL because of the school situation in Jax. Unless you are affluent enough to live in the nicer areas by good schools and/or can afford private school, most Jax schools are not great. A lot of people choose to live in St. John's County because the school system is much better and they deal with long commutes to work.
cbg1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:18 AM   #5
shortbun
Peacenik

Indiatlantic has good schools and is just a bit south.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:05 AM   #6
Lisa loves Pooh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbun View Post
Indiatlantic has good schools and is just a bit south.
Much too far for a job opportunity in Jacksonville--about 2.5 hours south.

OP--I agree with what was said above about where to live. She my family transferred there in the early 90s, we lived in Ponte Vedra. Nice area--but ...I don't like how they have over developed it. They do now have their own high school from what I have heard. They formerly attended Nease (of Tim Tebow high school football fame).

St Augustine is also lovely. It is also in St Johns County. It will add to your commute, but if you are working more south, it is totally manageable. If my husband gets a job opp in Jax, that is where we will look--but we would not look any further south.

Jax is so spread out because they incorporated all of Duval county many years ago--so they are essentially one and the same. (Though there is Jax Beach, Mayport, and other towns.)

Good luck with the decision.
Lisa loves Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:40 AM   #7
phred52
I love vacation!

Thanks for all the answers, everyone! you've given me a starting place! Exciting time in our house, for sure. In 2 weeks going down for a fact finding/ house hunting/ school check whirlwind trip.
phred52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:50 AM   #8
ChristineNic
Mouseketeer

Clay County schools are supposed to be better than Duval. We don't have kids, so schools were not a factor in our recent search.

We settled on Middleburg, which is SW of Jacksonville. I work in downtown Jax and it takes me 35 minutes door to door, but I work 7:30 to 4:00 so I miss the height of rush hour traffic.

When we were looking at homes in November 2013, all of the existing houses that we were interested in were priced too high in comparison to the realtor's comps. Because we were looking to buy with a mortgage, the inflated listing prices were an issue. We also had a tight timetable, so we ended up buying a "move-in ready" newly constructed home. If you have any questions, please let me know.

A prior poster recommended the City Data boards. I spent some time on those boards prior to moving. The posters are very helpful, but seem to be in two groups -- those that live in downtown Jax and those that live in the planned developments in St John's County. The opinions seems to weighted heaviliy to the areas where the posters live (understandably so).

I had a great realtor who was very helpful to narrow down the wide area. Feel free to PM me if you want her name or any other specific info about my home search.
ChristineNic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:44 PM   #9
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

Check into back issues of Jacksonville Magazine. It's very well written, and will tell you a lot about what kinds of lifestyles you will find in which areas.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:59 PM   #10
doxdogy
Owned by doxies!
I remember the day I turned into my parents

Where will your husband work? As another poster mention Jax is spread out. On the plus side we are surrounded by interstates. I would avoid Duval County schools like the plague. There are a few good schools, but they are located in either Mandarin or other areas of the Southside. St Johns county schools are way above ours.

There are a few subdivisions in St Johns county that do not have CDD fees (just do a Google search).

Only disadvantage to living in Clay County is Blanding or Roosevelt Blvds. They can be a nightmare during traffic and all it takes is one wreck on the Buckman bridge and the commute could be doubled in time.
doxdogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM   #11
tink576
Think of the Happiest Things, Fairies, Princesses and Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaluvPluto View Post
Where is the job and what kind of commute do you want? Jacksonville is very spread out.

St Johns County is a fantastic area. Are you okay with CDD fees?
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxdogy View Post
Where will your husband work? As another poster mention Jax is spread out. On the plus side we are surrounded by interstates. I would avoid Duval County schools like the plague. There are a few good schools, but they are located in either Mandarin or other areas of the Southside. St Johns county schools are way above ours.
I'm the one who's moving Thanks for all your input and advice.

I have no kids so I don't have to worry about that factor. I'll be working in Duval schools, but haven't received my school assignment. Since Jacksonville is so large, I hope to find a place to live soon and then request my assignment be based off of that. Confusing backwards process but that's how they are doing it. I'm looking for a "suburban" area. I'm not interested in the city urban life. It's crazy researching the area with it being so spread out. I appreciate the input from you all who've had experience with the area!

tink576 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: