Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2009, 07:25 AM   #1
Kitty 34
Hums in her sleep, but never when she's awake
I only raise tomatos for those cute caterpillars... but I won't go near a tomato
Never underestimate the TF!!!

How much do substitute teachers make in your school district?

We make $75 a day. Long term is a bit more. Our Super says that that rate is higher than a lot of other schools. Just curious.......
Old 01-16-2009, 07:50 AM   #2
mousetravel
DIS Veteran

In SC, it's $50 per day.
Mom/Daughter Birthday Celebration! June 2012 http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post45286013
Mom/Daughter Christmas TR! 2011http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2851142
Mom/Daughter PTR: Christmas Trip! 2011 http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post42724982
Mom/Daughter Trip Report June 2011: Disney Dream! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2744972
Mom/Daughter Trip Report: Disney & Sea World 2010http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2443520
Mom/Daughter Trip Report: WDW & Disney Cruise 2009 ttp://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2095302
mousetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2009, 07:54 AM   #3
MushyMushy
Marseeya Here!
Drama Magnet
I only make exceptions for chocolate Mickey heads
I'm a big pie freak
I'll always laugh myself silly over the flag pole incident.

$85, then goes up to $90 after 45 days, then $100 after 90 days.

Some districts around us are in the boonies and have a hard time getting subs so they pay more. With the longer drive, it evens out in the wash for me, so I stay local.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:01 AM   #4
BuffettFan
Mouseketeer

Im in Georgia.
Subs get $75/day.
Long term subs (10+ consecutive days in the same position) get $125
BuffettFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:19 AM   #5
monkey68
I instill the fear of manhole covers and those subway grates in people!

In NYC, it was $145/day when I was doing it a couple years ago. But now, they're apparently not hiring subs at all. In NYC, if you don't have a teaching license, you're supposed to be taking at least 6 credits a year towards the teaching degree while you have your sub license if you want to renew it, so I guess that's why we get more.
monkey68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:23 AM   #6
wdwmom2
It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow
Hopefully the Disney magic will kick in
my co-workers made me bath in Scope mouth wash
Fractured Prune is like donut Heaven

Here in PA, the public school in my town is $90/day, I believe $100/day for a long term sub.

DD is a long term sub at a Catholic school here and she makes $100/day.

wdwmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:26 AM   #7
bethbuchall
Had to make sure she was in Disney World on her 40th

Per diem for certified teachers is $114. For non-certified, it's $103. I know it goes up for long-term subs, but I don't know what it is. I also think (but don't know for sure) that only certified teachers can be long-term subs.

bethbuchall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:26 AM   #8
MushyMushy
Marseeya Here!
Drama Magnet
I only make exceptions for chocolate Mickey heads
I'm a big pie freak
I'll always laugh myself silly over the flag pole incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey68 View Post
In NYC, it was $145/day when I was doing it a couple years ago. But now, they're apparently not hiring subs at all. In NYC, if you don't have a teaching license, you're supposed to be taking at least 6 credits a year towards the teaching degree while you have your sub license if you want to renew it, so I guess that's why we get more.
What are they doing when teachers are absent if they're not hiring subs? Are they having other teachers cover? That has to happen a lot here when there aren't enough subs -- especially in the spring.

Where I live, you have to have a teaching license to sub. I don't think that's a statewide thing in PA, but it's definitely the case in my area.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:29 AM   #9
Denise6131
Earning My Ears

my husband subs in a city school in PA and makes $100./day...I think it goes up after 30 consecutive days to $110.
Denise6131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:30 AM   #10
december
DIS Veteran

Anyone can sub here-for $50 a day. If you have a teaching license it is $100. I was a long term sub last year for 6 wks and got $150 a day.
december is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:31 AM   #11
monkey68
I instill the fear of manhole covers and those subway grates in people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushyMushy View Post
What are they doing when teachers are absent if they're not hiring subs? Are they having other teachers cover? That has to happen a lot here when there aren't enough subs -- especially in the spring.

Where I live, you have to have a teaching license to sub. I don't think that's a statewide thing in PA, but it's definitely the case in my area.
I'm not sure of the details, since I only subbed for a year between undergrad and med school, but my mom is still working in the school system, and said basically they have to have the teachers cover. Because of budget cuts, they can't afford to hire subs. So either the teachers cover during their prep, or they combine classes. Combining classes though leads to a huge headache, because this is a special ed school where the kids range from very low functioning to normal IQ but behavoiral problems that don't allow them to be mainstreamed. So if they combine classes, you can have your regular class which is with the kids that can't read, write, don't know days of the week, etc. in the same class as the kids that are actually pretty sharp intelligence wise, but will flip desks over and sell drugs in the back of the classroom. And somehow, you're supposed to teach both of them at the same time

ETA: You don't need a teaching license for a per diem sub, just a bachelors. If you wanted to be a long term sub, you need a license. If you're per diem, you can't work more than 30 days in a row.
monkey68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:31 AM   #12
castleview
I'm on my 103rd attempt to grown my bangs out
I'm too impatient with the skillet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushyMushy View Post

Yes, and it drives the other teachers nuts because it's become so consistent. That's how they save money in DH's system. He's pretty much guaranteed to not have a prep period 2-3 per week.
castleview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:32 AM   #13
Justanopinion
Mouseketeer

Here in my small TX town, it's $50 a day, certified teachers is $65 a day and long term is $85 a day.

Blinkie Maker

I am a mom, step mom, and birth mom.
I am the wife of a veteran, an ARNG mom, and a Navy Sailor's mother in law.
Justanopinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:32 AM   #14
happygirl
DIS Veteran

75 full day/ 35 half a day
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:58 AM   #15
Kitty 34
Hums in her sleep, but never when she's awake
I only raise tomatos for those cute caterpillars... but I won't go near a tomato
Never underestimate the TF!!!

How interesting and how the rates vary!!!

I've been a sub for 26 years. I have a teaching degree and got my Michigan teaching certificate back in the late 80's. But since subbing suited me, I never updated my certificate. However, I still was able to do long terms which I've done quite a few (for just my school district) in the past 12 years. I even subbed a full year in '05-'06!

Unfortunately, the St of MI just changed their rules this year and because I don't have an updated certificate I can no longer sub long term.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: