Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2014, 03:46 PM   #1
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

What are you reading now? (Book suggestion thread)

Would anyone be interested in a book suggestion thread? Sometimes I'm at a loss at what to read next and end up scouring the reviews on Amazon for ideas so a thread on here would be so handy.

I've just finished reading Light a Penny Candle by Maeve Binchy. I first read this when it was first published in the 80s but purchased it again in a job lot from the Book People last year after hearing about the sad passing of Maeve.

It's about two girls, one English and one Irish, who meet when the English girl is evacuated during the second world war to stay with the Irish girl and her family and their turbulent lives as they grow up.

I love Maeve's style of writing, she just has this knack of making you feel comforted - like a hot bath when you've got caught out in the rain or a nice cup of tea.

Hoping lots of you will join in .....
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:53 PM   #2
PrincessJo
Mouseketeer

I'm reading Divergent.

I thought the movie looked interesting, but almost always the book is better. I picked it up and I'm loving it and sailing right through it.

I'm just not sure if I want to see the movie now... can't decide.
Nov 2010 (Caribbean Beach Resort) -- Nov 2012 (Villas at Wilderness Lodge) & Universal (Hard Rock Hotel) -- Jan 2014 (Boardwalk Inn) -- Sept 2014 Universal (Royal Pacific) -- Nov 2014 (PO French Quarter)

Magic, March 9-15, 2013 (Western Caribbean)
Dream, Nov 21-24, 2014 (Bahamas)

DH Me DS(17) Sophie Maggie
PrincessJo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2014, 05:26 PM   #3
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

I just finished Dust by Patricia Cornwell, which was a fantastic read, but quite graphic at times.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:25 AM   #4
irongirlof12
Am I the only one who loves Quorn Sausages?
I would love to be at Ghiradelli's ice cream parlour with a massive choc sundae

Light a Penny Candle by Maeve Binchy - love this book

I am reading Inferno by Dan Brown, someone gave it me and I wasn't sure that I would like it, but I am hooked.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:32 PM   #5
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

I really enjoyed Inferno too but then I've enjoyed all Dan Brown's books - once I start one I can't put it down.
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Old 04-19-2014, 02:37 PM   #6
tennisfan
Was told off for sliding down the banister at the SL
South Africa or California for me
Popped to the Boots

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ware Bears View Post
I really enjoyed Inferno too but then I've enjoyed all Dan Brown's books - once I start one I can't put it down.
I'm like that once I get into them I find some slow at the start and then can't put them down. My fave is Angels and a Demons

Trips:
DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, October, 1994, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 1998, DLRP - Hotel New York, June, 1999, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 1999, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 2000, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 2001, Walt Disney Studios preview, February, 2002, DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, August, 2002, New York City, Easter 2004, DLRP - Hotel New York, August, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, November, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, September, 2005, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, Easter 2007, DLRP - Kyriad, June 2007 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2009 DLRP - Day trip, November 2009 New York City, February 2010 DLRP - Disneyland Hotel, June 2010 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, September 2010 Stratosphere Hotel, Las Vegas, October 2010 DLRP - Day trip, January 2011, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, August 2011, DLRP - Day trip, January 2012, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2012, DLRP - Santa Fe, November 2012,
tennisfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:28 AM   #7
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

I just read the first part of Conn Iggulden's new trilogy about the War of the Roses, looking forward to the next part which comes out in September.

I haven't read any Maeve Binchy but that sounds like a book I'd like. Have you read any Lesley Pearse? You might like them as they sound like similar authors.

Other authors I like are Susan Lewis, Penny Vincenzi, Marian Keyes, Philippa Gregory, Alison Weir, Matthew Reilly, Clive Cussler, Lindsey Kelk, Sophie Kinsella, Cathy Kelly, Fiona Walker, Kate Thompson and I'm sure there's more!
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:31 PM   #8
A Small World

I always like to give a little royal wave whilst Im up there
Not even looking at it til I get some housework done

I love Maeve Binchy books and have got them all and have read some of them over and over again - although I much prefer her earlier ones (The Glass Lake is my favourite I think as it was the first one I read)

I also like Jeffrey Archer novels (but not his short stories) - he has a knack of keeping you hanging on til the very last page and theres often a twist even on that last page
WDW - Christmas 1991 -Off site; WDW - Christmas 1992 -Off site; WDW - Summer 1996 - All Stars; WDW - Summer 2003 -All Stars; DLP - Easter 2006- Santa Fe; DLP- Easter 2007 - Santa Fe + Explorers; DLP - Summer 2007 - Holiday Inn; DLP - Christmas 2007 -DCR; DLP - Easter 2008 - Cheyenne; DLP Summer 2008 Explorers + Sequoia Lodge; Nov 09 DDs surprise birthday trip- Kyriad; Feb2009 Disneyland Hotel; Easter 09 Kyriad; Summer 09 Newport Bay; Oct 10- DL ; Dec 11 - DL: Dec 12 DL

A Small World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:22 PM   #9
Kilted_Yank
Mouseketeer

A shot 'em up thriller by Lsrry Correia and Mike Kupari, called Dead Six! Quite good fun.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:07 PM   #10
Mrs Doubtfire
DIS Veteran

61 Hours by Lee Child. part of the Jack Reacher series, one was made into a film that Tom Cruise starred in based on the book One Shot. I just read that one a few weeks ago
Old 04-26-2014, 03:41 PM   #11
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

Lots of great suggestions.

I'm about to read A Dark and Twisted Tide by Sharon Bolton, the fourth thriller featuring a detective called Lacey Flint. I was lucky and won a proof copy in a give-away by the author and can't wait to start it.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:18 AM   #12
willeve
Mouseketeer

I love Harlan Coben! His books are thrillery/crimes books, always a twist in the tail. Easy reads, nice short chapters so you can grab a fix quite easily! Loads of books already, now addicted so have to buy them as soon as they are released. Also love Bernard Cornwell, especially the Kong Arthur trilogy. Just recently read all of the Game of Thrones books, need to re-read now as there was so much going on I can't remember everything!
willeve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:36 AM   #13
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

I am getting rather excited. I am flying to the USA on Thursday and there the 7th book in the Kingdom Keepers series has been out for nearly a month. So I am hoping that I will be able to pick this up during our layover at New York JFK.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:36 AM   #14
BudgieMama
DIS Veteran

I'm currently just over half way through Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes.

I won a whole box of books from our local radio station, and this was amongst them. It's her first novel, and as there are three books by her, I thought I'd give it a go before I decided what to do with them (keep or donate).

It tells the story of Cathy, a woman with a traumatic past, who is living with severe OCD in the "present" as a result. The narrative alternates between telling the story of her past, and her present, both in a linear fashion but interwoven wit each other, so as you read more of her past, you discover and understand more of her in the present.

I'm finding it gripping- tense at times, and heartbreaking at times (I used to have OCD myself, so really appreciate how realistic the author's depiction of Cathy's disorder is), and enjoying the way the story is unfolding.
Upcoming: October 2014: Yorkshire/Blackpool * February 2015: Iceland
Lifelong Dream: PTR Report *** Living the Dream Trip Report *** http://longsdisneytrip.blogspot.co.uk/
BudgieMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:39 AM   #15
Mike Jones
....nothing clever to say... just daft about Disneyworld!
I was right not to touch my own tag!!
Victim of a drive-by tag attack!

Currently reading my way through Janet Evanovich's 'Stephanie Plum/Bounty Hunter' series... funny!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephanie_Plum
Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: