Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2009, 04:03 PM   #1
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Disney Snobbery on the High Seas...January 2009

To all those who come to this happy, exciting, cruising, pixie dusting trip report: welcome. Disney Snobbery is your snobbery.

Yes. There’s Disney Snobbery in all of us. We’ve all scoffed at lesser theme parks, turned our noses up at ice cream bars that aren’t shaped like a certain mouse, and sighed for a hammock with a view of the castle. My name is Emma, and I am definitely a Disney Snob. On this trip I got to take that snobbery out to sea with the stars charting our way and the waves as our guide…on a Disney cruise!

If you’ve been following along on my pre-trip report (Set Sail on the S. S. Disney Snob) then you’ll have witnessed all the shopping, planning, MHPC-stealing, Ariel counting-upping, magnet making, and general hip hip hooraying that have led up to this Disney World/Disney Cruise trip! Maybe I’d better do a little recap, though; just so you all know the who's, what's, when's, and where's, and don’t get lost at sea (haha) as we continue on this trippie.

THE CRUISE: Well, really it was more than a cruise. First it was a jaunt to everybody’s favorite laughing place: DISNEY WORLD! After a week or so of pixie dust at the four parks, we departed for a more nautical form of the Disney magic on the Disney cruise! Just a short one – three nights on the Disney Wonder. Still, incredibly fun!

THE ACCOMMODATIONS: The Disney World component of the trip included a stay at the Polynesian. <long, contented sigh>. I love everything about the Polynesian: the hammocks, the tonga toast, the tropicalness (hmmm...that may not be a word, but you know what I mean!). We also stayed the last two nights before the cruise at the Beach Club (to get us in a cruise-y mood). Thanks to my lovely CM brother and his lovely discounts, we got to stay club level (ooooo!), which we’ve never done before at the BC.

THE CREW: well, first off there’s:

Emma: That’s me! The Disney Snob! Almost twenty-years-old, sophomore at college. I love basically everything Disney -- the princesses, the parks, the magic. I am hoping to do the Disney College Program at some point in the nearish future. I also love to read - I love Jane Austen. I love older books in general (my major is literature) And if you’ve read my past TR’s, you’ll be familiar with my American Girl doll collecting...aaand my tendency to bring an AG doll to Disney to take pics…But we’ll get to that shortly. First let’s get on to…

Betsy: My lovely mother. The mastermind behind all our Disney trips and loves Disney World just as much as me! I’m the only girl in a family with four brothers, so my mom fulfills the rolls of mom, sister, and best friend all rolled into one. She can make any boring situation into a ridiculously fun time, but she’s an awful tease. She’ll tell some fib with a straight face and I’ll believe her every time.

Joe: The typical Disney Dad – goes along with all the planning and magic, although (given the choice himself) he’d probably take us to some historical place. He’s into the more brainy bits of Disney World at Epcot and such. He was also an incredibly good sport this trip since our last cruise in 2004 made him sea sick. But we were more prepared this time, so it wasn’t bad at all.

Aramis: The Cast Member Brother! He’s a junior in college right now, but he worked all last year in the Disney college program. He’s gone back for a few weeks (he’s actually down there right now!) to keep his temporary CM status (which still gets us the discounts..oh yeah!). Aramis wasn’t at the parks with us everyday, but he did come on the cruise! He’s into video games and anime.

Porthos: Brother number two (and I’m only half way done w/ the brothers!). He’s a junior in high school: the math and science type. Somehow manages to be geeky in a Joe-Cool sort of way. Santa made him very happy w/ all sorts of witty Star Wars shirts and (groan) a towel w/ the ultimate answer: 42 on it. (Yeah, he’s a hitchhiker of the universe). He’s not that crazy over Disney – he spent most of his time reading science fiction books (I know, can you believe it?) but he loves the roller coasters and stuff like that.

Athos: Athos is a character. The twelve-year old Stitch maniac. He’s the Stitch to my Lilo, the Fezzick to my Inigo, the Sancho to my Don Quixote, the Ryan to my Sharpay (and ever since I got the HSM3 cd for Christmas, perfectly willing to break into “I Want It All” with me. ;-) )Athos is tons of fun at Disney…always up for running over to ride Buzz again, or even standing in line to see a character.

Dart: Short for D’artagnon (have you figured out the literary reference yet?). Dart’s just five years old and so cute and sweet. Still likes the characters, although he was less excited to see them on this trip. He’s the youngest, though, so he’d better like them for a few more years yet! Minnie Mouse is still his girl.

And to give the answer: Yes, I have given my brothers code names from the Three Musketeers (although it would’ve been kinda neat if my Mom had named them all like that!). My family’s a little neurotic about safety on the internet, so I use code names and I won’t be posting any pics of faces. However, I still have TONS of pics to post and plenty are fun, nonidentifiable photos, like this:

And there’s one last member of the crew that I almost forgot!

MIA! Yes, I bring my AG dolls to Disney. In fact, I was originally intending to take different doll along, but I got Mia for Christmas and she begged to come along. Disney is so perfect for taking pretty photos of dolls! Like this…

And this…

So are you ready to come along? Across the sea? To a world of fantasy and imagination?

Oh good! Then let the snobbery commence!

Index:

Pre-Disney Fun:
Introduction...right here!
Sing me a travelin' song, to make the miles go by...p.2 post 21
Dad's day (Congaree Swamp)...post p.3 40
Exploring the Ponte Vedra...p.4 post 52
Crashing Waves and Christmas Turtles at Disney's Vero Beach!...p.5 post 71
Sunrise Vero...p.6 post 87
Mia and the Turtles...p.7 post 97

Polynesian:
Come on Disney World!...p.8 post 108
(Polynesian) Bliss!...p.9 post 125
PAAAArty at the Contemporary Time!! (CM)...p.10 posts 140 and 141
No Plan, Plenty of fun (lunch at Roaring Forks)...p.11 post 154
Sparkling Lights...Wishes and Fairies...a Pixie-Dusted Evening!..p.12 posts 167,168, and 169
An AK Morning...Can You Dig It?...p.13 post 184
Grazing for Lunch, AK Style...p.13 post 195
Around the Seven Seas Lagoon (hammock time & dinner at Gasparilla's)...p.14 post 201
The Force Is Strong with This One...p.15 post 212
More MGM Meandering...p.16 posts 226 and 228
Magic Kingdom SuperUpdate!...p.17 posts 243, 244, and 245
Magic Kingdom by TWINKLE light!...p.18 post 260

Beach Club:
The Resort Hop...p.19 post 276
Snob Meet Shopaholic, Shopaholic Meet Snob!...p.20 post 291
Back at the Beach Club...p.21 post 309
Snob and Shopaholic Take on the World!...p.22 post 316
Random Ramblings and DHS...p.23 posts 335 & 336
Mia and the Fabulous Furniture...p.24 posts 356 & 357
Beach Club Bumming...p.26 post 386
Showcase Shoppin'...p.27 post 405
Last day at the MK...p.29 posts 426 & 427
The Great Pajama Debacle...p.30 post 440
The Casual Elegance of Citrico's...p.31 post 451

The Cruise!

Day 1:
January 8...p.32 post 469
At the Terminal!...p.33 posts 490 & 491
Lunching at Parrot Cay...p.34 post 508
The Cruise Cabins...p.35 post 524
On Deck and at the Spa...p.37 post 545
How the Oceaneers Cruise...p.38 posts 558 & 560
Note the Awesome...well...Everything!!...p.39 post 578
Let's Sail Away...p.41 posts 601 & 602
Dinner in Black and White...p.42 post 621
Dinner in COLOR...p.42 post 622

Day 2:
Rise and Shine!...p.43 post 640
Captain Mia on Deck...p.44 post 656
We're in Nassau now, Mon!...p.45 post 669
Atlantis: Aquaventure and Annoyance...p.46 post 680
Disney Pirates...to Infinity and Beyond!...p.47 post 692
Polly wants a Pirate Buffet!...p.48 post 713

Day 3:
Early Morning Adventures and MISadventures...p.49 post 724
Hammock Heaven...p.50 posts 738 & 739
Mia's Castaway Adventures...p.51 post 751
(Castaway Cay) Beach Bummin'...p.52 post 760
Bidding the Wonder Farewell...p.53 posts 786 & 787
Leaving the High Seas, and Back to Real Life...p.54 post 803

Recaps
The Top Tens...Mia and Christmas Decorations...p.55 post 816
Au Revoir!...p.56 post 817

Last edited by AGPrincess; 07-25-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
princess&her4princes
DIS Veteran

Yay Emma, looks like if I post this quick enough, I"ll be #1!! Can't wait to hear all about your trip, off to a great start!!! And love Mia!!! She's beautiful!!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
LouDisney
DIS Veteran

yay!! Can't wait to read your TR.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:43 PM   #4
eyeheartgoofy
DIS Veteran

I'm really looking forward to this report!!!
Old 01-12-2009, 05:03 PM   #5
disneyhockeymad
˚o˚ ˚o˚ Sharing a Little Bit of Disney Happiness! ˚o˚ ˚o˚
Adores Toffee Crisps

Wahoo another snob report
can't wait to read it

Lauraclaireh on twitter

Well you said you wanted to do things differently! A Sept 2012 TR
Just one last time... please? A Sept 2012 PTR
It's Alright I'm Still Alive! July 2008 TR

WDW offsite 2001 (April), DLRP Hotel Cheyenne 2001 (June), DLRP Davy Crockett Ranch 2002 (August), DLRP offsite 2003 (August), WDW offsite 2004 (April), DLRP offsite 2005 (August), DLRP Sequioa Lodge 2005 (December), DLRP School Day Trip 2006 (May), DLRP Sequioa Lodge 2006 (December), WDW offsite 2008 (July), DLRP Sequioa Lodge 2009 (December) WDW offsite 2012 (September) WDW Kidani Village 2013 - our first DVC trip (December)
Old 01-12-2009, 06:03 PM   #6
Dreamer & Wisher
DIS Veteran

Wow you are back! I can't wait to read about your trip.
I love your pictures of your doll. Excellent Photography!

Planning our next trip...
Old 01-12-2009, 06:05 PM   #7
Dancegrl624
DIS Veteran

Yea! Another Emma TR! I'm so excited!

Completed Trip Reports
A Sept 2013 Solo Trip to the World It's A Cat World After All A Sept 2012 TRCelebrations Galore & Free Dining Too! A Sept 2012 PTR
Take Small Children By The Hand...a Sept Trip Report "I Want To Go Back!!!...a Sept 2010 PTR
Heat,Headaches but So Much Fun! My June Birthday TR Wishes Do Come True!...a Birthday PTR A Surprise Fit for a Princess...PTR and TR
1984-1st trip, 1987-offsite, 1991-offsite, 1992-Contemporary (won that trip!), 1997-ASMu, 2002-offsite (DH's 1st trip),
2006-offsite (DD's 1st trip), Jan 2009-offsite, June 2009- Birthday trip at Pop,Sept 2010-Pop Century,Aug 2012-Boardwalk Inn,Sept 2012-POFQ (DS's 1st trip),Sept 2013-CR (Earmarked Conference), March 2014-DCL AEP on the Magic
Old 01-12-2009, 06:10 PM   #8
Hedy
I'm 22 27 and I still kind of stammer
If you're old enough to hold a job, you're old enough to not burn popcorn

Looking forward to more (and even though I know your first TR is almost two years old, I still think "I though Athos was 10....oh snap, he's Mordie's age, duh!"
4/93-Dixie Landings*12/96-Dixie Landings*2/02-POR*DLR-8/05-Royal Stovall's Inn*3/06-POR*12/07-POFQ**8/08-POP/Dolphin*10/09-POFQSwan 12/10*Podcast cruise 12/10*AKV 8/11*AoA 1/13*AoA 4/13 Universal: 7/08 HRH, 7/09 RPR, 8/10 RPR
*A vegetarian and pescetarian do Disney dining 12/07*Hedy and the Carnivores 08/08*Hedy and Lexie Rock Vegas 12/08*
'Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten

Old 01-12-2009, 06:11 PM   #9
irish dancer
DIS Veteran

Signing up to read along and living vicariously through you. We'd love to do a Disney Cruise someday........
Old 01-12-2009, 06:29 PM   #10
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Excellent!! Keep it coming!! And I love the AG pictures!! Dd got her first one this Christmas(she's 5) and we have ....Elizabeth!! I think I may love her more than she does!! I am contemplating whether or not to bring her to WDW. What if she came up missing from my room Just a thought...you never know. I really am riding the fence on this--I haven't mentioned it to her---they don't know we are going yet!!!!!

Old 01-12-2009, 07:07 PM   #11
4boysrus
Proud momma to 4 boys.

You know I'm here!
Old 01-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #12
GreatBiscuit
Golden but never flaky

Any TR With Literary References is a MUST READ.

Note: No trees were killed in the posting of this reply, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:51 PM   #13
eternaldisneyfan
Have an Attitude of Gratitude!
*sadly, no emoticons because my pix max out the limit-my words will have to stand alone*

Subscribing to the Snobbery!

Boo'd!! Frosted , Snowed , Ho ho'd Tree'd!
"Everything in life is a choice. Even if the only choice we have is the attitude with which we embrace each moment." Mattie Stepanek
Old 01-12-2009, 09:58 PM   #14
Halloweenqueen
Whenever Candle Lights Flicker...

Me too! Looking forward to the report!
Old 01-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #15
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess&her4princes View Post
Yay Emma, looks like if I post this quick enough, I"ll be #1!! Can't wait to hear all about your trip, off to a great start!!! And love Mia!!! She's beautiful!!!
Woo Hoo! The first poster! lol -- congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouDisney View Post
yay!! Can't wait to read your TR.
Yay! So glad to see you here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeheartgoofy View Post
I'm really looking forward to this report!!!
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyhockeymad View Post
Wahoo another snob report
can't wait to read it
So glad you've subbed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer & Wisher View Post
Wow you are back! I can't wait to read about your trip.
I love your pictures of your doll. Excellent Photography!
Thanks for checking in! And I have a bunch more doll pics to share...that one pic of Mia in the hammock was from our first afternoon at the Polynesian and the sky and clouds and colors and everything were so gorgeous -- picture perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancegrl624 View Post
Yea! Another Emma TR! I'm so excited!
Welcome, welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedy View Post
Looking forward to more (and even though I know your first TR is almost two years old, I still think "I though Athos was 10....oh snap, he's Mordie's age, duh!"
lol...I know exactly what you mean. The little ones seem like they've grown up so much -- Dart especially. He's so big now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish dancer View Post
Signing up to read along and living vicariously through you. We'd love to do a Disney Cruise someday........
Welcome! The cruise was so much fun. Even though it was just three nights, it was awesome to experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Mommy 3 View Post
Excellent!! Keep it coming!! And I love the AG pictures!! Dd got her first one this Christmas(she's 5) and we have ....Elizabeth!! I think I may love her more than she does!! I am contemplating whether or not to bring her to WDW. What if she came up missing from my room Just a thought...you never know. I really am riding the fence on this--I haven't mentioned it to her---they don't know we are going yet!!!!!
Awww...that's so fun your DD has an Elizabeth. Hmmm...it is a tough choice whether or not to bring the doll. I didn't take Mia into a park this time, but she did stay safe in the room. I see what you mean, though -- five is pretty young, and she might rather concentrate on the princesses and characters and enjoy the doll more on a later trip. Either way, I'm sure you'll have a great time-- this is such a good time to go w/ lines and everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4boysrus View Post
You know I'm here!
Yay!! Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBiscuit View Post
Any TR With Literary References is a MUST READ.
lol...thanks and welcome! (I'm sure there'll be more too... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternaldisneyfan View Post
Subscribing to the Snobbery!
So good to see you! Thanks for posting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloweenqueen View Post
Me too! Looking forward to the report!
Welcome!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: