Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2009, 05:37 PM   #1
UKDEB
Found the Tag Fairy's hangout
All whacked up on Scooby Snacks

DISboards Moderator

Sans Friends - Magic Kingdom, The Wave, Epcot and ESPN Club

Preamble
Flight and first evening at the BoardWalk
Mall at Millenia and International Food & Wine Festival

Tuesday, 4th November (Election Day)

I awake after a restless night and, judging by Matt’s tossing and turning, he’s experienced similarly disturbed sleep. We’re up at 5.30am, but don’t rush to do anything.

For the next few days, in the knowledge that the jetlag will have us awake early, the itinerary has us hitting the parks for opening. We leave the room at 8:45am and head for the bus pick-up point. As many of you will know, Matt has a loathing for buses, but a love of the happy juice, so he almost squeals with delight as the Magic Kingdom bus rolls into view at 8:55am. (Now, I’m ahead of the quick-witted amongst you who will be thinking that he’s going to be gutted to discover that MK is bereft of anything remotely alcoholic, but we have a 1pm ADR for the new restaurant at the Contemporary, The Wave, so there’s method to our madness.) I should probably mention that I’m not a big fan of the buses, either, but, like Matt, I’m aware they have their benefits. That they’re one of the few ways to reach the doorstep of the Magic Kingdom without having to contend with the Transportation and Ticket Center is definitely one of them and we’re passing through the turnstiles shortly after opening. We’ve experienced the opening ceremony previously, so we’re not overly disappointed to have missed it. [For anyone who hasn’t caught it, it’s a real crowd-pleaser (as are those at the other parks).]

As one of this trip’s priorities is to seek out the corners of WDW rather than to experience the main attractions, we take a look around Exposition Hall. It’s a few years since we’ve done so and it hasn’t changed any. Conscious of our quest to make good use of PhotoPass, we go for the obligatory Castle shot at the top of Main Street.

We take our time wandering up Main Street and then seek out another PhotoPass opportunity in the Rose Garden before taking the path around the back of the Castle into Fantasyland.

Because it’s something new, I have the notion that it might be nice to take a look at the Fairies “Meet and Greet” in Toontown, but as we approach the area and see the lines, I remember it doesn’t open until 10am. Instead we look around Minnie’s House before heading across to Tommorrowland.

Matt is keen to ride Buzz and, whilst I can take it or leave it, I’m happy to oblige. Knowing that he always spins the car in precisely the opposite direction to the one in which I’m about to shoot, we take separate vehicles. [The fact that I haven’t recorded our respective scores may just possibly suggest that he thrashes me.]

Normally we’d do Carousel of Progress (one of my favourite attractions) and the TTA, but neither of us feels a particular urge to do so - we’re both just enjoying being here and soaking it all up. One of my guilty pleasures is looking around the gift shops, but when we’re with other people I feel I have to control the urge. Whilst Matt doesn’t share my delight in them, he’s always happy to indulge me and, when he’s had enough, is content to sit outside and people watch. These days, I seldom buy anything, but I like to look so I take a quick peak in Mickey's Star Traders.

We loop back through Fantasyland and stroll the length of Frontierland. I’m starving and, bizarrely for me, have a craving for something sweet, so I get a Mammouth Pecan Pattie (chocolate covered pecan and chewy caramel) in Prairie Outpost and Supply. Matt has a Twix ( Don't ask me, I’m as confused as you), plus a share of my pattie.

We round the corner into Adventureland and take advantage of another PhotoPass opportunity near Pirates of the Caribbean.

We mosey around the "Pirates" gift shop , as well as Island Traders before heading back towards Main Street and up through the shops on the Casey’s Corner side.

It’s still very early in relation to our 1pm lunch ADR, but it becomes increasingly apparent that this is very much the focus of today’s activities for both of us, so we board the resort monorail to the Contemporary. We arrive at 11:45am and while away 10 minutes looking around the concourse before heading for the restaurant. As we arrive, they’re preparing to open, so we sit in the lounge-cum-waiting area next to the bar.

I guess we’re not too surprised to find we’re the only patrons. Given the choice of an empty restaurant or an empty bar, the bar is going to win out every time, so we take up position. It doesn’t get busy the entire time we’re here with just two other couples joining us at the bar (albeit not at the same time) and maybe half a dozen parties entering the restaurant.

We’ve read several reviews of this place, together with photos, and we’ve been keeping our expectations low whilst remaining keen to check it out for ourselves. Our impression has been of a pleasant, but very Disneyfied environment and typical Disney fayre. We couldn’t have been more wrong. The restaurant itself possibly fits that bill, but the bar is gorgeous – really grown up in a way Disney doesn’t normally do well. From photos I’d seen of the lounge areas, I’d imagined them to be pretty soulless, but, even empty, I’m pleasantly surprised at how atmospheric they are and I can imagine they’ll have a really good vibe during the evenings.

Our barman is Alan. He’s previously worked at the Territory Lounge at Wilderness Lodge and, more recently, the Pop pool bar, before getting this gig. We comment on how impressed we are with this space and how un-Disney it seems and he tells us what we already suspect; that it comes alive during the evenings when it’s packed with conventioneers in their smart attire.

Determined to make the most of not having to drive, Matt wastes no time in ordering a Yeungling, followed firstly by the Orlando Brewing Company’s porter and then their pale ale. [The Orlando Brewing Company is a tiny firm based in Downtown Orlando and which normally only supplies a few small independents.] I peruse the cocktail menu, but don’t feel inspired, so I order a dark rum mohito before moving on to the Wolf Blass Gold Label chardonnay. All the wines here are from the southern hemisphere, which I’m sure is avant-garde in this context, but very disappointing to me given I can get most of them in my local supermarket. It’s a very small pour for $13.50 and, to add insult to injury, the wines are served in very beautiful, but totally impractical stemless glasses. [Glass stems are there to prevent one’s hand effecting a change in the wine’s temperature – a fact lost on most people who insist on holding the “bowl” of a wine glass. Good grief! Sometimes even I’m stunned by my own pomposity!.]

The food is a revelation. I was expecting theme park mediocracy with a healthy twist, but everything is scrummy. I start with a new menu item of Artichoke and Hazelnut Bisque with a Hazelnut Cream. Matt plumps for the Lump Crab Cake with Papaya Slaw and Balsamic Glaze. I opt for the sustainable fish entre (Atlantic Char with Corn and Edamame stew and Saffron Oil), whilst Matt breaks with tradition (NOT!) in his choice of the Angus Chuck Bacon Cheeseburger.

The Wave has blown our expectations out of the water and we leave commenting that we really must try to make it back for dinner one day next week.

Continued below.

October 1992 ~ Enclave Suites, I-Drive May 1996 ~ Omni Rosen, I-Drive October 1998 ~ Villa-Clear Creek August 2000 ~ Beach Club/Villa-Sunset Lakes July 2001 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge/Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns Christmas 2001 ~ Villa-Formosa Gardens October 2002 ~ Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns May 2003 ~ Portofino Bay/Villa-Cumbrian Lakes January 2004 ~ Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes/Villa-Formosa Gardens July 2004 ~ Grand Floridian/Portofino Bay/Villa-Formosa Gardens December 2004 ~ Villa-Rolling Hills/Disney Wonder Cruise/BoardWalk Grand Villa/Contemporary April 2005 ~ Washington DC, Shenandoah, Blue Ridge Parkway, Charleston, Savannah, Royal Pacific Resort/Villa-Acadia Estates January 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/Royal Pacific Resort April 2006 ~ Celebration Hotel/NCL Jewel Cruise/Hotel Victor, Miami/Beach Cottage-Disney's Vero Beach October 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/BoardWalk Villa/Rosen Shingle Creek August 2007 ~ Saratoga Springs//Reunion Grande January 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs/Beach Club Villas/Reunion Resort November 2008 ~ BoardWalk Villas/Royal Pacific Resort/Saratoga Springs March 2011 ~ Celebrity Cruise/Veness Towers, a stone's throw from the Magic Kingdom November 2012 ~ Bay Lake Tower/Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota/Ritz-Carlton Destination Club, Jupiter/Saratoga Springs September 2013 ~ Kidani Village/Saratoga Springs May 2014 ~ Beach Club Villas/Wyndham Grand Bonnet Creek/Bay Lake TowerJanuary 2015 ~ Four Seasons Golden Oak/Bay Lake Tower

Last edited by UKDEB; 01-11-2009 at 05:44 PM.
UKDEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:38 PM   #2
UKDEB
Found the Tag Fairy's hangout
All whacked up on Scooby Snacks

DISboards Moderator

We decide to make our way back to the BoardWalk via Epcot, so we jump on the monorail to the Transportation and Ticket Center before changing for Epcot. Weve only done this journey a few times over the years and its fun to do the loop of Future World before pulling in at the station.

We take our first ride on the remodelled Spaceship Earth. I'm surprised at just how many scenes have changed completely and we both leave with mixed feelings. Judi Dench is very professional, but her narration just doesnt sit right with the nostalgic within me. As Matt says, her voice doesnt have the desired level of gravitas to pull it off. My disquiet reaches a peak as our time vehicle reaches the top. Jeremy Irons uttering the words Or will we use this power to usher in a new age of understanding and co-operation on this, our Spaceship Earth..." never failed to bring a tear to my eye and a lump to my throat, but the new narration leaves me cold. The new ending, though, is great.

Im keen to take a peek inside the IF&WF Festival Center in the old Wonders of Life pavilion. Its strange to see all the old attractions there, untouched, and very un-Disney to let Joe Public witness it. A surreal experience.

We make our way back to the BoardWalk via the International Gateway, stopping at Canada to pick up a Moosehead for Matt and a glass of wine for me. Its so awful, it goes straight in the bin. Even Matt wont drink it!

Were both flagging and succumb to the lure of the Friendship Boat. On the journey, we discuss the evenings activities, conscious of the fact that the itinerary calls for the Animal Kingdom EMH (one of only two evenings during our trip when it will be a possibility and something were both keen to do having never been there after dark) whilst acknowledging that we probably dont have the stamina. When we get back to the room we establish that a couple of small amendments will allow us to attend the following week without compromising the plans and its with some relief that we spend the next few hours watching the unfolding election results on TV.

A couple of hours of slobbing out and we decide that we can probably make it out for a drink. My preference is Crews Cup Lounge at the Yacht Club (a place we love), but Im mindful that Matt has been itching to get to the ESPN Club ever since we arrived and Im not entirely sure my legs will carry me across to the Yacht Club, so ESPN it is. Its quiet here tonight and Id also noticed that Flying Fish Caf was dead as wed passed by. Matt has a few Yeunglings with a couple of Wild Turkey chasers, whilst I enjoy three glasses of chardonnay. We order the medium wings, but Im not feeling them at all, so Matt lucks out. To our surprise, there are no screens showing election results, so we ask the bartender to change the screen in front of us to ABC News Channel 9.

We return to the room at around 10:30pm and head straight for bed.

Postscript: Its been grey all day today with a high of 69F. The cloud didnt lift at all which was fine for walking around, but not great for photos.

October 1992 ~ Enclave Suites, I-Drive May 1996 ~ Omni Rosen, I-Drive October 1998 ~ Villa-Clear Creek August 2000 ~ Beach Club/Villa-Sunset Lakes July 2001 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge/Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns Christmas 2001 ~ Villa-Formosa Gardens October 2002 ~ Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns May 2003 ~ Portofino Bay/Villa-Cumbrian Lakes January 2004 ~ Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes/Villa-Formosa Gardens July 2004 ~ Grand Floridian/Portofino Bay/Villa-Formosa Gardens December 2004 ~ Villa-Rolling Hills/Disney Wonder Cruise/BoardWalk Grand Villa/Contemporary April 2005 ~ Washington DC, Shenandoah, Blue Ridge Parkway, Charleston, Savannah, Royal Pacific Resort/Villa-Acadia Estates January 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/Royal Pacific Resort April 2006 ~ Celebration Hotel/NCL Jewel Cruise/Hotel Victor, Miami/Beach Cottage-Disney's Vero Beach October 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/BoardWalk Villa/Rosen Shingle Creek August 2007 ~ Saratoga Springs//Reunion Grande January 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs/Beach Club Villas/Reunion Resort November 2008 ~ BoardWalk Villas/Royal Pacific Resort/Saratoga Springs March 2011 ~ Celebrity Cruise/Veness Towers, a stone's throw from the Magic Kingdom November 2012 ~ Bay Lake Tower/Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota/Ritz-Carlton Destination Club, Jupiter/Saratoga Springs September 2013 ~ Kidani Village/Saratoga Springs May 2014 ~ Beach Club Villas/Wyndham Grand Bonnet Creek/Bay Lake TowerJanuary 2015 ~ Four Seasons Golden Oak/Bay Lake Tower
UKDEB is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
suzycute
DIS Veteran

Fantastic report! I love your Photopass pictures! The Wave sounds like a good place to try (now that - today!- I've booked our flights for our trip in September!).

Looking forward to reading more!
Old 01-11-2009, 10:19 PM   #4
SusanEllen
DIS Veteran

I'm certainly impressed with the Churchill park wardrobe. Not only did you choose beautifully compatible outfits to wear for today's photos, Debbie, yours made you look like you belonged in Minnie's sewing room (very matchy-matchy).

I especially like the action Photo Pass shot where you're bravely protecting Matt from Captain Hook.

You know, that Jack Skellington lashed to the gift shop shelf looks suspicioulsy like one in a big box in my garage.

Your comments and photos of the lunch at the Wave certainly make me want to give it a try.

Awfully glad you are writing these reports. They almost make up for the fact that you went without us.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:12 AM   #5
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

The Wave sounds lovely, despite the dodgy wine glass !! i love the disney fairies border you are using

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:31 AM   #6
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

Great photopass pics Deb It sounds like you had a lovely day

mandymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:20 AM   #7
tony64
Should've been a Cowboy
In charge of driving & collecting coffee and doughnuts for breakfast

Great day and pictures, not sure about the effect Planet Earth had on matts head though.
He does make a good Captain Jack.
1995 Paris 1997 Masters Inn 1999 Clarion Floridian 2001 HoJo 2003 Econolodge 2005 HoJo 2006 Sheraton Vistana 2007 Club Sevilla 2008 May Sheraton Vistana 2008 Aug Terrace Ridge 2009 Barefoot'n in the Keys 2010 Villa at Cumbrian Lakes2011 Sheraton Vistana & The Magic 2012KeyLargo, Sheriton Vistana & OKW
The Buckland Disney Stampede August 2005 TripThe S.V.R. 2006 Trip T&T Do Thanksgiving 2007 Trip T&T & 2 1st Timers May 2008 Trip T&T Do the Triple Aug 2008 Trip T&T's 2nd Thanksgiving Trip 1975 & 2010 A double trip Bad Mothers & Others Oct 2011 Key West to Old Key West Nov 2012

tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:06 AM   #8
darthtatty
Been There, Done That, Going Back!

great report, lots of fab pics.
Feb 2005 - Sequoia Lodge @ Disneyland Paris
May 2009 - Holiday@ Disneys Contemporary Resort Trip report
August 2011-Holiday @ Disneys Contemporary Resort Trip report
March 2013-Perth Australia
August 2014- Holiday @ Disneys Contemporary Resort
darthtatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:18 AM   #9
raph_b
Proud Redhead

The wave sounds amazing, and that burger looks great - what was Matt's view of the burger?

And what drink did you throw away in Canada - please don't tell me it was the Moosehead
Feb 1999 - DLRP - Sequoia Lodge (4 nights)
May 2007 - DLRP - Daytrip
Sep 2008 - WDW - Offsite (2 weeks)
Mar 2009 - DLRP - Hotel New York (3 nights)
Nov 2009 - DLHK - Daytrip
Sep 2010 - WDW - Last trip before its time to have babies!

Thank you O' great Tag Fairy - You have made this Proud Redhead a very happy bunny!!
raph_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:23 AM   #10
wicket2005
Hasn't got a clue what a tag is
Christmassyfyed, yes I have had a glass of wine judging by that spelling

Lovely report Debs, nice to just please yourself and just absorb the atmosphere in the parks rather than lining up all the time. I am glad your meal was better than expected and it is nice to see places where I have not been.

1996, 1998, 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008x2, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014
wicket2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:16 AM   #11
jockey
Repeat after me....I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's!!!!!!

Great pics
Old 01-12-2009, 12:55 PM   #12
Tammy Stringer
I love babies - all milky and baby powdery
Do you knit, Barbara?
Up for the marquee option

The Wave looks like a must do for our next trip

Love the pictures taken in Spaceship Earth

Tam
Tammy Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:34 PM   #13
mark&sue
I keep trying to convert everybody, but they just don't want to be converted
I can only get a tag if its near the weekend. a monday, tuesday and some wednesdays are definately no tag days

I'm thirsty just reading these. what a lovely day you both had.

susan
Oct 1992: off site - April 1998: Dixie Landings - Oct 1999: DL California - Oct 2000: Grosvenor Resort - Oct 2001: POFQ - Dec 2001:Disneyland Hotel - Oct 2003: Davy Crockets Cabins - Oct 2004: Grand Floridian -May 2005: SSR (DVC) & HRH - Oct 2005: New York Hotel - Oct 2006: SSR and BCV (DVC) - Aug 2007: SSR (DVC) and 1st Disney Cruise - July 2008: Sequoia Lodge - July 2010: Treehouse Villas - Sequoia Lodge: Oct 2010 - April 2011 Treehouse Villas/Portofino Bay
2012/13: Several trips to our Dream holiday Home in Spain
mark&sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:02 PM   #14
traceycooper
Laughs off her mini dramas
Chickens out of Dr. Doom's Fearfall

I love the micky/minnie snowmen!! soooo cute!
Love DH's shirt
Love you photopass pics
basically i'm just loving your TR
2008 15 nights at POP & 5 nights at Royal Pacific
2010 7 nts at CSR,3 nts Dolphin, 5 nts RPR & 5 nts Renaissance @ seaworld
2012 doubletree universal :banana
2013 1ST CHILD FREE TRIP DOUBLETREE UNIVERSAL
traceycooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:48 PM   #15
Snowy-girls
Did you speak to a 'human being'?
As you can see, all I have is a load of gobble-de-gook writing

Great day Deb.I love your pics,and the Fairies border is great-my girls would love that one.
The food at The Wave looks very delicious .x.

Sweet Kitty Dreams La-La,Smudge,Sam+Max.Together Again.11:3:94-20:5:08.x.x.29:4:93-17:3:09.x.x.29:4:93-21:7:10.x.x.11:3:94-2:3:12.x.x.

NOV90Sheraton Anaheim CaliforniaSEP93Quality Inn I-DriveSEP95Holiday Inn I-DriveSEP97Castle Inn+Suites AnaheimSEP98-Best Western AnaheimAUG03Quality Inn I-DriveApr/May04Holiday Inn I-DriveApr09Embassy Suites I-Drive SouthApr11Quality Inn Plaza+Pop.Aug13Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,CSR+AKL With Free QSDP.AUG15Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,RPR+21 nights at OKW With Free DDP.
Snowy-girls is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: