Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-01-2008, 03:53 PM   #31
Angielou1079
Mouseketeer
 
Angielou1079's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 431

Weird they count my newborn LOL...being a server myself I usually tip 20% anyways but I do think its silly to count my newborn I guess they do it because they are taking up space where they can seat an adult...although if I have a problem with our service I will definately be speaking with a manager...we went to eat at an outback and with a party they automatically do gratuity which I understand to an extent...the problem was our waitress had messed up 6 of the 10 meal orders and also was rude and did not refill our drinks...we had to walk to the bar or get another server to get our refills...luckily after we explained to the manager we did not have to leave the 18% gratuity but it was only because the other server and bartender who repeatedly got our refills verified our story...we left a small tip for our original server and gave the rest to the other server who helped us and the bartender...
Angielou1079 is offline  
Old 07-01-2008, 04:09 PM   #32
Lehuaann
Lehu hu Boo Boo
 
Lehuaann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: TN - from So Cal
Posts: 2,429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney8704 View Post
Yes I know this for a fact. I HAD PSD booked for breakfast this August but then cancelled it. But when I made my ADR, the CM was very clear that the tip and tax WAS included in the price along with CRT. Now granted I booked this back in Feb. so things might have changed between now and then.

This is the way it was explained to me yesterday:

If you are an oop guest then tax and gratuity is included by being pre-charged automatically to your CC.

If you are on the DDP then tax is included, gratuity is not.

Like I said, I'm sure to find out in Sep!!
__________________
"'Ohana means family. Family means no one gets left behind ...or forgotten."
Lehuaann is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-02-2008, 01:50 PM   #33
DW0rBust
Thank You Walt
 
DW0rBust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: kannapolis nc
Posts: 6

Question about buffets

When you dine at buffets such as Chef Mickey's is that considered self service? Would there be a waiter that would need a tip? If all they do is serve us drinks are we required to give them the 18% tip?
DW0rBust is offline  
Old 07-02-2008, 01:54 PM   #34
bicker
DIS Veteran

 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Burlington, MA
Posts: 45,628

Buffet service does warrant a gratuity. The standard (in society) is 10% (as compared to 15% for full-service). Disney, however, makes no differentiation between buffets and full-service, pegging their standard at 18% for both.
bicker is offline  
Old 07-02-2008, 02:22 PM   #35
Tricia1972
I love late night snacks
Libra who loves peace and harmony
 
Tricia1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI
Posts: 9,724
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
Buffet service does warrant a gratuity. The standard (in society) is 10% (as compared to 15% for full-service). Disney, however, makes no differentiation between buffets and full-service, pegging their standard at 18% for both.
Yes.

The only addition to make to this is that Disney only requires an 18% tip when using the DDE card or if you are a party of 6 or more.

For parties of 5 or less who are not using the DDE the suggested tips are listed for 18% and 20% and you are free to tip at your discretion. (As previously mentioned at the beginning of this thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
The following will have an automatic 18% gratuity added to their restaurant bill:

1) Disney Dining Experience members regardless of party size

2) Any party of six or more (including infants and people who are not eating). If you have a large party that is separated into 2 or more tables of fewer than six people, the automatic gratuity will not be added if each table has a different server. If your party's tables have the same server, you'll get the automatic gratuity added.

If you wish to have the automatic gratuity reduced for service issues, you must contact a restaurant manager and request it.

If you are using the Disney Dining Plan (which is a different program from the Disney Dining Experience mentioned above), neither of the 2008 plans (basic and deluxe) includes the gratuity in the dining plan price. DDP users will be charged an automatic tip of 18% only if there are six or more persons in their dining party. If you have a party of five or less, there will be "suggested" tip amounts printed on your bill.
Tricia1972 is offline  
Old 07-04-2008, 12:40 PM   #36
got2luvtink
DIS Veteran
 
got2luvtink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 595

Tipping on a Visa gift card....

Is there any reason why this wouldn't be possible? Since the tip is not included in the dining plan. I would like to do this, instead of carrying the money around with me everyday. I've never purchased a Visa gift card before. Ideally, I would be able to create a pin for it, so if it gets lost, I won't have to worry about my money being stolen.

Also, I haven't used a KTTW card before, but, what about putting the total tip amount on that? I just know that tips are going to be somewhere around $200.00, and I really don't want to worry about dividing up the money each day. Help anyone?
got2luvtink is offline  
Old 07-04-2008, 04:30 PM   #37
DiszyDean
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Carrollton, Tx
Posts: 449

Quote:
Originally Posted by got2luvtink View Post
Is there any reason why this wouldn't be possible? Since the tip is not included in the dining plan. I would like to do this, instead of carrying the money around with me everyday. I've never purchased a Visa gift card before. Ideally, I would be able to create a pin for it, so if it gets lost, I won't have to worry about my money being stolen.

Also, I haven't used a KTTW card before, but, what about putting the total tip amount on that? I just know that tips are going to be somewhere around $200.00, and I really don't want to worry about dividing up the money each day. Help anyone?
You can leave a tip using a Visa gift card (basically the same as money) or by using your KTTW card.
DiszyDean is offline  
Old 07-05-2008, 11:12 AM   #38
got2luvtink
DIS Veteran
 
got2luvtink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 595

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiszyDean View Post
You can leave a tip using a Visa gift card (basically the same as money) or by using your KTTW card.
Thanks!!
got2luvtink is offline  
Old 07-07-2008, 07:59 PM   #39
joeandjenn
Earning My Ears
 
joeandjenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 18

Sounds like it's going to save us money in the long run, then. We are on the basic DDP and most of my ADR's are for buffets! It takes a lot of food to feed three boys!!
__________________
joeandjenn
Jennifer
Mom to 3 wild boys!
Dreaming of WDW!
joeandjenn is offline  
Old 07-09-2008, 01:59 PM   #40
suzyqqq27
Mouseketeer
 
suzyqqq27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 119

Kttw?

What is your KTTW card? Is that your room key? I'm a DVC member but planning on using the Dining Plan in October. Will I be able to put my tip on my room key and charge it to my room? I hate to carry cash...especially American dollars which I sometimes confuse for the wrong denominations...why are they all green?

Thanks,
Suzanne
__________________
suzyqqq27 is offline  
Old 07-09-2008, 03:08 PM   #41
Tricia1972
I love late night snacks
Libra who loves peace and harmony
 
Tricia1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI
Posts: 9,724
DISboards Moderator

Yes, you'll be able to put the tip on your room card. We are also DVC and never had a problem charging back to the room. (Of course your room key has to have charging privileges on it.)
Tricia1972 is offline  
Old 07-09-2008, 11:15 PM   #42
tweedlemom
DIS Veteran
 
tweedlemom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,024

We started saving Disney Dollars months ago to pay for our WDW meals. We were then lucky enough to get free dining. Is it acceptable to use Disney Dollars for tipping? I know they are accepted as good as cash in WDW, but I just want to make sure that goes for tipping as well. Thanks.
tweedlemom is offline  
Old 07-10-2008, 06:48 AM   #43
Tricia1972
I love late night snacks
Libra who loves peace and harmony
 
Tricia1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI
Posts: 9,724
DISboards Moderator

Disney Dollars for tips can be a hot button sometimes. Some say yes, and most say no because essentially you are giving them a gift certificate for where they work as a tip.

Would you give your Applebee's Gift Certificate to your server at Applebee's? Yes the certificate at Applebee's can only be used for food and Disney Dollars can be used for merchandise. Maybe Cracker Barrel would be a better example, where they have food and merchandise.

Essentially with Disney Dollars you are giving them a tip of a gift certificate that they can't use for groceries, to pay the rent, the fuel bill, daycare, etc.
Tricia1972 is offline  
Old 07-10-2008, 08:33 AM   #44
lilyv
I'm looking for a place that's nice
It is an exciting time, isn't it?
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia1972 View Post
Disney Dollars for tips can be a hot button sometimes. Some say yes, and most say no because essentially you are giving them a gift certificate for where they work as a tip.

Would you give your Applebee's Gift Certificate to your server at Applebee's? Yes the certificate at Applebee's can only be used for food and Disney Dollars can be used for merchandise. Maybe Cracker Barrel would be a better example, where they have food and merchandise.

Essentially with Disney Dollars you are giving them a tip of a gift certificate that they can't use for groceries, to pay the rent, the fuel bill, daycare, etc.
I think you explained this very well. I believe, as you do, that most servers need tips to help pay for groceries, rent, daycare, gas, and other expenses of daily life.
A gift certificate amount, while kinda nice, isn't the same thing by a long shot. I'll stick with cash tips.
lilyv is offline  
Old 07-10-2008, 09:44 AM   #45
JLKennedy
DIS Veteran
 
JLKennedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 875

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehuaann View Post
This is the way it was explained to me yesterday:

If you are an oop guest then tax and gratuity is included by being pre-charged automatically to your CC.

If you are on the DDP then tax is included, gratuity is not.

Like I said, I'm sure to find out in Sep!!
ALL TIPS ARE INCLUDED ON ALL DINNER SHOWS.

It says it in Disney's dining brochure. It is a "price-fixed" meal so all is included, EVEN ON THE DINING PLANS.
__________________
JLKennedy is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
percentage, tipping



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.