Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 03:38 PM   #1
Pumbaa_
Hakuna Matata!
My first attempts at gravy required slicing
It probably got lost in the scrolling

DISboards Moderator

Question The Disney Tipping Info Thread *Updated 9.1.09*

New tipping thread policy

Tipping threads here on the Restaurant Boards have consistently turned into debate threads with lots of arguments. They all tend to get closed in the end once they cross the line.

The Restaurant Board mods are willing to create one thread where tipping questions can be asked and answered. HOWEVER, this is NOT the debate board.

Here are the basic guidelines
1. No fighting, name calling or debate on people's personal tipping habits. This includes but not limited to:
• I will not tip my server more than I tithe the Lord
• I will not give a server more than I make an hour
• Everyone knows servers make 100k a year, why should I tip them
• Servers should be paid a living wage and not have to depend on tips to support themselves. hence tipping should be abolished.
2. No flaming anyone for any reason.

3. Any post deemed off topic or in anyway against the posting guidelines will be deleted without comment and the poster will receive an infraction.

4. Any other thread started on the restaurant board for the "tipping" topic will be closed with a note to see this thread (This includes DDP board).

5. No personal tipping habits are to be discussed. Generally speaking, what you tip at Disney is entirely up to you. To figure out what your meal will run, check out the menus here on the DIS at (insert link here). This will give you an idea of the meal cost. Disney does provide 18% and 20% calculations on the dining receipt. What you actually tip, is up to you with the exceptions below.

The exceptions to this are those using the Tables in Wonderland (TiW) Discount Card and parties of 6 or more. If you are in either one of these categories, you will have an auto gratuity of 18% added to your bill. Adjustments to this would need to be discussed with a manager.

Parties of 6 include everyone at the table, including children under 3 and infants. If you are dining with another group and paying separate, you are still subject to the 18% gratuity added to the bill. Each group at the table can get their own bill with their portion of the gratuity split out.

Please note – Disney does not differentiate between types of Table Service – buffets, all you care to eat and menu ordering locations are all treated equal and subject to the same guidelines by Disney.

There is always concern expressed about a set gratuity and service. Your option is to talk to the manager at the time of the incident. The only adjustment possible is done by the restaurant manager. Better to speak to the manager early on and receive improved service than to complain at the end to request redeuced gratuity

6. You may pay the gratuity in many different forms. You may use:
• Disney Dollars
• Disney Visa (or any credit card)
• Disney gift cards and Disney Reward cards
• Disney room charge (KTTW card)
• Cash (Just write cash on the tip line and leave the $$ in the folder)

7. The gratuity is included in the dinner shows Hoop Dee Doo Review, Spirit of Aloha and at Cinderella’s Royal Table. You can always leave additional 

Please abide by these guidelines - and everyone can get the info they need for planning their magical Disney vacations.

If this does not work, we will ban this topic from the restaurant boards.

Thank you and we appreciate your cooperation,
The Restaurant Board Mods

Last edited by Pumbaa_; 09-05-2009 at 11:33 AM. Reason: added faq into policy
Old 06-28-2008, 07:01 PM   #2
squirrel
DIS Veteran

So glad there is now a sticky on this topic.

These are the things I have read so far:

When dining in a WDW restaurant your bill will have an amount that is suggested for the tip.

If dining with a party of 6 or more (includes infants and children) there is an automatic 18% gratuity.

You may pay in cash, have it added to your KTTW card (if you have charging on it), or pay with a credit card.
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-28-2008, 08:11 PM   #3
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

The following will have an automatic 18% gratuity added to their restaurant bill:

1) Disney Dining Experience members regardless of party size

2) Any party of six or more (including infants and people who are not eating). If you have a large party that is separated into 2 or more tables of fewer than six people, the automatic gratuity will not be added if each table has a different server. If your party's tables have the same server, you'll get the automatic gratuity added.

If you wish to have the automatic gratuity reduced for service issues, you must contact a restaurant manager and request it.

If you are using the Disney Dining Plan (which is a different program from the Disney Dining Experience mentioned above), neither of the 2008 plans (basic and deluxe) includes the gratuity in the dining plan price. DDP users will be charged an automatic tip of 18% only if there are six or more persons in their dining party. If you have a party of five or less, there will be "suggested" tip amounts printed on your bill.

Last edited by TDC Nala; 06-28-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
ekidwell0001
Always thinking about DISNEY!

So im guessing this is the board i should ask my question!! Okay, We are using the DDP this september during free dining for the first time ever, yay! but i am worried about the tip part. DBF and I usually just bring cash on vacation, and we will not use the charging option on our room key. In this case, will the server give us the bill with a suggested tip amount, or what will happen since we are paying cash? I dont necessarily like the fact of someone just putting it on there, but is this what happens? If anyone can clear that up for me that would be awesome!!

Me (Liz) DH (Dustin)

Engaged at WDW Sept. 14th 2010!!
Married 3-24-12!
Old 06-29-2008, 02:04 PM   #5
squirrel
DIS Veteran

I think they give you a suggested amount at the bottom of the receipt. So a meal that costs $100 would have $15-$20.
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
Old 06-29-2008, 03:42 PM   #6
kimsuenew
DIS Veteran

OK, I know that the DDP no longer includes gratuity and I am fine with that/clear about that part... my question is in regards to CRT. We were fortunate to get breakfast ressies there during our upcoming trip (by the way it's me that wants to go... a 41 year old , I just really want to see the inside of the Castle, DH & DS have no idea about this ADR tee hee). I know this TS breakfast takes 2 TS credits per person, and that we get a package of pictures included (I think of our group with Cinderella ). My question is this: I have heard it is and I have heard it is not, so is the gratuity truly included in this meal or is it like all other WDW TS locations? Thanks in advance Dis Friends!

Old 06-30-2008, 06:25 AM   #7
relcx4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimsuenew View Post
OK, I know that the DDP no longer includes gratuity and I am fine with that/clear about that part... my question is in regards to CRT. We were fortunate to get breakfast ressies there during our upcoming trip (by the way it's me that wants to go... a 41 year old , I just really want to see the inside of the Castle, DH & DS have no idea about this ADR tee hee). I know this TS breakfast takes 2 TS credits per person, and that we get a package of pictures included (I think of our group with Cinderella ). My question is this: I have heard it is and I have heard it is not, so is the gratuity truly included in this meal or is it like all other WDW TS locations? Thanks in advance Dis Friends!
I would be interested in knowing this answer too...good question.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:27 AM   #8
gigi1313
DIS Veteran

my question echoes the post above... is gratuity included for HDDR, CRT and SoA?

please and thank you!

good job w/the guidelines pumbaa!
PC & GF CL Jan '11POR Nov '11 DCL Fantasy May '12 BWalk&ASM Jan '13 PC Sept '13
DCL Magic B2B Jan '14DCL Magic May '14 DCL Dream August '14
Old 06-30-2008, 07:39 AM   #9
Tricia1972
I love late night snacks
Libra who loves peace and harmony

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekidwell0001 View Post
So im guessing this is the board i should ask my question!! Okay, We are using the DDP this september during free dining for the first time ever, yay! but i am worried about the tip part. DBF and I usually just bring cash on vacation, and we will not use the charging option on our room key. In this case, will the server give us the bill with a suggested tip amount, or what will happen since we are paying cash? I dont necessarily like the fact of someone just putting it on there, but is this what happens? If anyone can clear that up for me that would be awesome!!
You just write in the word CASH on the tip line. That way the server knows you are tipping with cash and won't need to verify anything for you before swiping your KTTW card for dining credits.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:40 AM   #10
Tricia1972
I love late night snacks

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
I think they give you a suggested amount at the bottom of the receipt. So a meal that costs $100 would have $15-$20.
Actually they show the suggested tip amounts for 18% and 20% rather than 15% and 20%.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:44 AM   #11
Tricia1972
I love late night snacks

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Gratuity is included at this location.

Gratuities are also included for dinner shows such as the Luau and Hoop Dee Doo
Old 06-30-2008, 08:03 AM   #12
Lehuaann
Lehu hu Boo Boo

Quote:
DDP - http://adisneycruise.disney.go.com/m...DiningPlan.pdf

Deluxe DDP - http://adisneyworld.disney.go.com/me...luxeDining.pdf

Gratuities are included for the following:

Character Dining (CRT only)..."Two (2) Table Service meals for each person dining at Cinderella's Royal Table will be redeemed from your meal plan balance. Gratuities are included."

Dinner Shows (HDDR/Mickey's BBQ/SoA)..."Two (2) Table Service meals for each person dining at a Dinner Show will be redeemed from your meal plan balance. Gratuities are included."

Private In Room Dining/Pizza Delivery..."Two (2) Table Service meals for each Private In-Room Dining meal ordered will be redeemed from your meal plan balance. Two (2) Adult Table Service meals will be redeemed from your meal plan balance for Pizza Delivery. Gratuities are included for both."

Gratuities are also included for Grand Gathering Experiences.

DL & WDW * FW Cabin 3x * AKL CL 2x * Poly CL * CR CL * AKL Arusha * POFQ * POR

Last edited by Lehuaann; 06-30-2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:14 AM   #13
disneyfav4ever
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.

First of all I am so glad to see a sticky on this topic.

Ekidwell - I am also on the DDP this year, and I too plan to carry cash, and not use my key as a charge card. I believe there are suggested 18% and 20% amounts for tips, and I plan on just leaving whatever is the closest dollar sum.

So if I have say a $50 meal, and the suggested amounts are $9.50 and $10.00, I'd leave $10, just so I wouldn't have to deal with change. Unless the service were bad, then I'd leave a little less, but if the service were excellant, I'd leave more. That's just my personal tipping style.

I went through the menus on All Ears, to figure out how much my meals would be worth at the TS restaurants, and I got a total of $1,050, so I'm budgeting just over $200 for tips.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:06 AM   #14
Mackey Mouse
Me read the Navigator? I don't think so

tsk, tsk said in my best Bahsten accent

Tommy made Flubber

DISboards Moderator

Thanks for the great reception to this thread.... we do try to moderate fairly but sometimes the squabbling can get to be a bit much and hopefully this thread with good questions and even better discussion will alleviate any issues..

Now back to your discussions... and thanks for the nice words..

Co-Moderator Restaurant Boards
Moderator, Coping and Compassion Board

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein
Old 06-30-2008, 04:57 PM   #15
Tink_Or_Belle
Want to come to my High Meat party?
I'd hate to be Glazin Raisin

My question is about the Breakfast in Norway. when I made reservations I made both this and the castle the woman on the phone told me the tip is included on both since they added the photo package to Norway. was she correct or not. Thank You
Closed Thread

Tags
percentage, tipping

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: