Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2009, 08:04 PM   #1
kellymonaghan

DIS Veteran
Definitely not a woman
Buy his books so he can get a royality check

Parking $3 from 6 to 10pm

Just heard that Universal is now charging $3 for parking between 6pm and 10pm. Not sure is it's more for vans and campers like with "regular" daytime parking.

I'm not sure I understand the logic behind this, what with everyone and his brother telling us that people will be counting every penny in the days and months ahead.

Seems to me inevitable that the Cineplex and the restaurants will take a hit.

Your thoughts?
Old 01-02-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

I think it stinks. Even though I have an AP and don't have to pay to park, lots of people are going to be very upset with this new policy...and like you mentioned, CityWalk WILL take a hit. I have friends who don't have AP's that enjoyed going over for a movie or dinner and not having to pay parking fees. Well...they will probably start going somewhere else. After PI closed and Universal decided to honor their AP's until mid-year, I thought that was a tremendous thing to to...and now this. Just pitiful!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2009, 11:25 PM   #3
phamton
Proud Redhead
My husband is right...It is all about me!Shooting your own exhaust is like cheating at solitaire

DISboards Moderator

I'd rather see them charge for parking rather than cutting the staffing in the parks. Extra revenue means more upkeep, more staff, and more new rides.

I have to admit that I am more vested in keeping the parks running smoothly than the night life at Citywalk. I would think if restaurants, movie theater, and clubs see a decline, maybe they might consider validating parking.

Having an annual pass (with free parking) is starting to look better and better.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:51 AM   #4
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I think that it's a strange decision. With money tight, you want to lure people and a parking fee seems to be a big turnoff for many people.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:07 AM   #5
Metro West
Proud Redhead
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
I think that it's a strange decision. With money tight, you want to lure people and a parking fee seems to be a big turnoff for many people.
That's very true.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:35 AM   #6
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Personally, if it was me trying to decide where to go and the only drawback to Universal was that there was a $3.00 parking change, I wouldn't give it a second thought. $3.00 doesn't seem to be a deal breaker to me.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 03:56 PM   #7
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!

Ummm, I agree with those who are unhappy about this..

Have to pay to park just to go spend your money to eat or go see a movie at their establishments.

This is not a positive 'welcome'.
This is not a positive 'invitation'.
It is a very very negative opening impression.
I agree with the poster who used the term 'turn-off'.

My DH is one where this kind of thing just really burns him and rubs him the wrong way. It is nickle and diming... It is like a pick-pocket.

We'll have to pay the $3.00 if we do end up with no choice but to hit Citywalk on a non-park day... But...
Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:18 PM   #8
Metro West
Proud Redhead
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing on a star View Post
Ummm, I agree with those who are unhappy about this..

Have to pay to park just to go spend your money to eat or go see a movie at their establishments.

This is not a positive 'welcome'.
This is not a positive 'invitation'.
It is a very very negative opening impression.
I agree with the poster who used the term 'turn-off'.

My DH is one where this kind of thing just really burns him and rubs him the wrong way. It is nickle and diming... It is like a pick-pocket.

We'll have to pay the $3.00 if we do end up with no choice but to hit Citywalk on a non-park day... But...
Universal doesn't own those restaurants so it's not their establishments...including the theater. It's this day and age with the economy I guess. I saw on the news tonight where Lynx raised their fares "to pay the bills" so now we've turned into a nickel and dime you to death society because of the economy.

I agree with Phamton about trying to make more money so Universal won't have layoff workers. The same thing is happening at my job right now. Budgets are being tightly monitored and sometimes cut to keep the jobs.

I don't think a lot of people will know about the parking charge in all honesty. Unless you're in the know, people will continue to pay it not knowing it used to be free.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:10 AM   #9
Jason71
Brother to pirates and corsairs...

I can say from personal experience with friends the movie theater is going to take a hit from this--DTD is still free to park, and Pointe Orlando at least validates. I know a group of Uni AMC regulars who switched to DTD this weekend. Can't imagine the restaurants will be that thrilled, either.
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:45 AM   #10
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
I can say from personal experience with friends the movie theater is going to take a hit from this--DTD is still free to park, and Pointe Orlando at least validates. I know a group of Uni AMC regulars who switched to DTD this weekend. Can't imagine the restaurants will be that thrilled, either.
Once the restaurants and theatre feel it, they will start validating parking.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:45 PM   #11
grumpydawg
Disney Dawg Dude

parking fee

We went this past Friday without knowing of the new change. I usually go to City Walk every time I'm in town, but no more. I won't be back unless it's a park visit. Too bad, because I really enjoy eating at Margaritaville. $3 doesn't seem like much, but I received nothing in return for it. I parked in the lowest level in the farthest parking area. Oh well, life is all about choices. They chose to institute a parking fee. I choose not to go back. No anger, just fact.
grumpydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:02 PM   #12
Jason71
Brother to pirates and corsairs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
Once the restaurants and theatre feel it, they will start validating parking.
It's a lot easier to validate when you collect money as people are leaving rather than when they are arriving. I guess the AMC and restaurants could hand out $3 refunds (or offer a $3 discount?) but enforcement would be a problem, and it will still be a sticking point to a lot of people to come up with $3 in cash just to enter in the first place. This is a debit-card society, I know a lot of people who don't necessarily have cash.

This just seems like a lot of hassle for what, on a typical weeknight, can't be that much money.
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:55 PM   #13
GuestServicesMonkey
Earning My Ears

The parking fees can be paid with a debit or credit card.
GuestServicesMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:51 PM   #14
7165red
DIS Veteran

Smile Parking $3 from 6 to10pm

We were there on Dec,29-08 after 6pm and we had to pay $5 parking, I was told here on disboards that parking is free after 6pm. Will someone out there keep is up to date on parking fee.
7165red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:13 PM   #15
donaldduck352
Proud Redhead
What ever ya do try it, you wont be disappointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7165red View Post
We were there on Dec,29-08 after 6pm and we had to pay $5 parking, I was told here on disboards that parking is free after 6pm. Will someone out there keep is up to date on parking fee.
OK now I'm confused.You paid $5 when it was only supposed to be $3!!Was this for prefered parking??

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: