Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2009, 10:05 PM   #31
DisneyPinDiva
What? There's no more shrimp left? Who could have eaten them all?

Location: Where ever the Magic Wonder Dream or Fantasy takes me....

Great report so far!! Can't wait to hear more. We are on the 2/28 Eastern with St. Croix, so I'm very interested in what you thought of that port.
Your DD is adorable!

Too many cruises to keep track of anymore!! MAGIC x 6, WONDER x 12, DREAM x 4 FANTASY x2 FIRST to
MAGICally cross from Kingdom to Kingdom! DCL Inaugural Panama Canal Crossing - May 2005, ,DVC Member Since 1992
I know where the Magic starts...

DisneyPinDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:21 AM   #32
disney13
DIS Veteran

Love your trip report. Off to read more!

Are we there yet?
disney13 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2009, 06:19 AM   #33
frdeb1999
DIS Veteran

Great TR and pics!! You have adorable kids!!
frdeb1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:27 AM   #34
tinkerbeth
Goin' back soon!!

I can't believe you kept it a secret! I'm such a blabbermouth when I'm excited about something. We're doing the Eastern next March and my ds8 and I are trying to keep it a secret from my dh...at least until it's paid for! it's a surprise 10th anniversary trip for him.

Love the TR. Keep it coming! Your DD is adorable. What a little princess.

Beth
tinkerbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:56 AM   #35
OurOhana
Mouseketeer

Thanks Everyone

Thanks everyone for reading so far. I'm working on the next one right now. I just had to mention that we all slept in until 9 a.m. today- which is unheard of for our 3-year-old. She went to bed at 7:30 p.m. and only got up once around midnight quickly - to tell us she was tired. (We always appreciate hearing the obvious )

When she got up this morning, she said "I think I will have....Chips."
Now let me tell you, never once on this trip did she have chips in the morning. I'm not sure she had chips at all. But the "I think I will have" start was how she ordered most everything on the trip.
She finally settled on "Mickey pancakes" which again, she never had on the trip. My husband is going to try to get creative in a few minutes. We'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyPinDiva View Post
Great report so far!! Can't wait to hear more. We are on the 2/28 Eastern with St. Croix, so I'm very interested in what you thought of that port.
Your DD is adorable!
I promise to devote one of the reports to St. Croix, but I will quickly tell you it was our favorite day. We had a wonderful time and the people on the island were great. I know they had some bad reviews previously, but we have nothing but good things to say - that might be because we spent most of our time on the island in the water. I'll be interested to hear what others had to say about it too.

More to come later.

HAL Maasdam Feb. 16, 2003 * HAL Zuiderdam Sept. 7, 2003
DCL Magic Jan. 31, 2009 * DCL Wonder Sept. 17, 2009 * DCL Wonder Sept. 20, 2009 * DCL Fantasy Apr. 27, 2013

OurOhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:58 AM   #36
OurOhana
Mouseketeer

On the ship - Day One, Part One

If there was one overall negative to our trip – it was something Disney had absolutely no control over – and it wasn’t by any means horrible. But the weather was pretty cold. Again, it didn’t even come close to ruining our trip, but it was something that changed our plans a bit. But we on the Magic, we were thrilled.

So we have just walked through the Mickey ears (which my daughter believed was a slide – not sure why she thought that, but OK) The plan was for me to run back to add a Palo brunch reservation and also a couples massage for our Castaway Cay day. I was a bit worried that we wouldn’t be able to do one or both. But when I got back to the Rockin D Bar (I think that was the name, but to be honest, we never went back in there again after that) there was no one in line.

I stopped first at a table where the lady was taking reservations for the spa treatments. A couples massage was no problem. Then I went to the table to make Palo reservations. There was one person in front of me and then it was my turn. I asked for a reservation for our last sea day, Thursday. I figured I would spread out some of the fun and didn’t want to set it for one of our first two sea days, which were our first two full days. Again, no problem.

DH took DD to Parrot Cay for lunch while I was doing the reservations. We debated on where to go, but we decided we didn’t need to head anywhere near the pool, since DD would want to swim. It was just too cold. (I should say, it was too cold for us. There were a few brave souls in the water – which I heard was pretty warm. But the wind made it not much fun to get out – or even to bring your head up above water – so we decided to wait.)

Lunch was pretty good – better than I had expected. There were really large shrimp, which were good. Plenty of fruit and salad fixings – some pasta dishes, fish, carved beef (which was good) mac n cheese, breads and more.

The desserts weren’t really great – something we found to be a trend for much of the cruise. But we could live without dessert if necessary, and I was willing to keep trying things until I found stuff I liked. I heard later that the buffet at Topsiders sounded like the food was the same.

By the time we got done with lunch, we had a few minutes to walk around the ship before we headed to our room. We did end up going up on the ninth floor – and DD wanted to go in the pool. We explained it was too cold, which she didn’t really understand since there were some children in the pools. I’m sure she wouldn’t have explained that her mommy was born and raised in Florida and believed that temperatures in the 50s were just too cold for swimming.

But I didn’t need to explain, Chip and Dale saved the day. They were the first characters she saw and she loved them. They spent quite a few minutes with her – even dancing with her and playing ring around the rosy. She even wanted to play catch, but they weren’t running after her. I didn’t blame them, this was our vacation – no running necessary. She had a blast.

Then she spotted the Ariel View. This is probably a great time to explain that in our home, our DD can’t watch television during the week. The main reason is that it distracts her from important things – such as listening to mommy when I tell her to get dressed, clean her room, whatever. So when DD saw the Ariel View movie screen, well she was in heaven. She hopped on a lounge chair, I grabbed her a towel and she was watched some of the movie (I don’t remember what was on at that moment.)

She was fine sitting there for a while, but I took the opportunity of Donald walking by on Deck 10 to get her up. (I was chilly) Again, she danced with one of the Disney characters.

When we got to the eighth floor – where our room was – 8014 - the ropes were still up blocking the room hallways, so while I waited the few minutes, DH took DD to the club to give it a quick look. We had thought for some reason that we couldn’t check her in on the first day, just visit the club. So he didn’t leave her there when they said he could.

While they were off, I decorated the door. I told DH I was doing magnets, but I didn’t tell him what kinds. They were a surprise.

They were back a few minutes later and we looked around our room.

I will say, there was plenty of storage. Since I was curious ahead of time how much there was, I decided to take plenty of pictures. We were in a category 4, but I think the other veranda rooms were pretty similar for storage (just a little smaller of a trunk) So hopefully these pictures help you see the storage options.

This is the nightstand on one side of the bed. There was an identical one on the other side

This was one of the bathroom sinks. They both looked the same.

Here was the storage in the bathrooms

The desk area

TV (There was storage above and the beverage cooler below)

The beverage cooler (which didn't keep things very cold, but kept our water from being too warm)

Storage next to the closet

You can see the trunk in the back of this picture

Now DD didn’t eat much at lunch – which is really not like her. I think she was just really excited. And of course, I didn’t need a reason to order room service just 30 minutes after we got into our room, but I used it as the excuse.

Room service menu

It would be the first of many, many times I would talk to Diane in room service. She was wonderful and we all became addicted to room service.
We got a cheese platter and fruit bowl. And just because we could, we got cookies. The chocolate chip cookies were huge – and pretty good. I took the advice of the disboards and brought many $1 bills. Actually, I think I brought 100 of them. I was using them at Starbucks today to try to get rid of the leftovers. We still have quite a few.

After room service, we did the drill (which took no more than 15 minutes)

Then we waited for our bags to show up – which was one at a time up until about 5 p.m. We decided to skip the sail away party. While I would have loved to see it, DD was tired and it was cold. We decided we’d relax for a few minutes. Daddy took that opportunity to take DH on the balcony to watch the ship leave the port. He continued trying to convince her that we were on a boat and it was moving. She wasn’t a believer.

I took that time to read some of the things we found in our room and we picked up when we came on the ship.

Welcome aboard

The Navigator

The movie schedule

I introduced myself to our room steward, just to find out he was only a relief for our real steward, who would join us in a couple of days. I think the first steward’s name was Jho. He was very nice, but quiet. Margaret came later. My husband thought she was shy, but I found her to be pretty talkative. And she loved DD. Since we weren’t sure if Jho would get any of the tip at the end of the cruise, DH tipped him when he asked him to make up the bunk bed, but then asked him to put it back in the ceiling when we realized DD couldn’t navigate the ladder down very well. (I’m sure many 3-year-olds would be fine, but she’s not much of a daredevil on the playground and not really into climbing a lot.)

UP NEXT: The rest of Day 1, including dinner.

DCL Magic Jan. 31, 2009 * DCL Wonder Sept. 17, 2009 * DCL Wonder Sept. 20, 2009 * DCL Fantasy Apr. 27, 2013

Last edited by OurOhana; 02-08-2009 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Enlarging navigators
Old 02-09-2009, 12:28 AM   #37
1stdisneycruise
Mouseketeer

You ar doing a great job. Thank you you adding things I wanted to ask but thought I should not like how long is the boat drill.

YOu little girl is so cute. Believe me write down the cute things she says. I wish now I would have. I have a 9 and 6 year old and they say less and less cute things

I am so happy you got better. I was reading and saying to my self. this is us we are going to get sick. We are only 15 days away. We have two big things and then I think I am going to lock us in the house. Ok maybe I can't but i am thinking it

I can not wait to hear about CC. We are also doing nassau but I do not think that you went there. I am so glad you are adding the navigators

I can not wait to see the menus. How did you get yours. I want them so bad also. I scrapbook
1stdisneycruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:55 AM   #38
lulu0506
Mouseketeer

Great TR!! Anxious to see how your 3 yr. old liked the club.
lulu0506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:41 AM   #39
fairfax
DIS Veteran

First of all, Welcome Back! I am really enjoying your TR so far. Your pictures are fantastic! I'm looking forward to hearing about your day on St. Croix, since I have been wondering what to do with DD5 and DS3 when we are there.

On our last cruise, a Western, we were in a room near 8014 -- that's a great part of the ship and the extra space in the room was awesome! I like your door magnets, and also a big *THANK YOU* for posting the Navigators. I look forward to more!
Old 02-09-2009, 05:52 PM   #40
bellaiah
Earning My Ears

Thanks for your trip report! I am also going on the 2/28 7-day Eastern so this is a lot of help.
Even though this is not my first cruise, it will be a first with my DD(3) and DS(1).

I was wondering if you had any advice about leaving your DD in the Oceaneer Club. My DD just turned 3 last month. I guess I'm just worried about leaving her around older kids (since she'll be one of the younger ones).
I'll be waiting for the rest of your TR!!

(DD - 3)
(DS - 1)

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/jqpgu9epf7qzu28a.png[/img]

Disney Magic 7night Eastern 2/09
Disney Wonder 7night Land & Sea 2/04
bellaiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:52 PM   #41
3Charbys
Looking forward to Cruise #3 in March 2014 on the Fantasy!

I too am enjoying your TR! Keep it coming... I would love to hear about your St Croix day and excursions as well!!!

3Charbys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:57 PM   #42
OurOhana
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaiah View Post
Thanks for your trip report! I am also going on the 2/28 7-day Eastern so this is a lot of help.
Even though this is not my first cruise, it will be a first with my DD(3) and DS(1).

I was wondering if you had any advice about leaving your DD in the Oceaneer Club. My DD just turned 3 last month. I guess I'm just worried about leaving her around older kids (since she'll be one of the younger ones).
I'll be waiting for the rest of your TR!!
Hi there - I'm so excited for you, and jealous at the same time. I want to go back NOW. We loved the club. Malia was 3 last August, but there were some children younger than her. The club splits children up by age group, so she was just with 3 and 4 year olds, most of the time. Sometimes, she was merged with the 5-7 year olds. But even when she was with her smaller group or the larger one, they often split up to enjoy different activities. For instance, on the last night when I went to get Malia, she was in the computer room playing dress up with other girls. Many other children were doing an activity with a counselor. They had a lot of counselors on hand too, who I really liked. There was one male counselor, Fabrice, who was great with Malia. But I also saw the counselors playing with the kids. They were very interactive. It was great. I'll post pictures of the club in one of my future posts. The counselors also are good about paging you if there is a problem or just if your children are tired and want to see you. I'm sure every child is great, but if yours are usually good with a babysitter or child care center or play groups, I would imagine they'd love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairfax View Post
First of all, Welcome Back! I am really enjoying your TR so far. Your pictures are fantastic! I'm looking forward to hearing about your day on St. Croix, since I have been wondering what to do with DD5 and DS3 when we are there.

On our last cruise, a Western, we were in a room near 8014 -- that's a great part of the ship and the extra space in the room was awesome! I like your door magnets, and also a big *THANK YOU* for posting the Navigators. I look forward to more!
Thank you! We loved St. Croix and will tell you more later. But for your question about your children, I was also concerned ahead of time. Our fears were eased. The club opened earlier than usual so people could go on land or on excursions early. The pager didn't work when we were off the boat (except on Castaway Cay) but we were really near the boat and only gone for 3 1/2 hours. By that day, we'd spent two full days on board and we knew she loved it. I don't think she noticed we were gone. And the next day, when we went to St. Thomas, she said she wanted to go back to the club. We took her back and we left again to go shopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu0506 View Post
Great TR!! Anxious to see how your 3 yr. old liked the club.
She loved it! She wants to go back right now, and would if we let her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stdisneycruise View Post
You ar doing a great job. Thank you you adding things I wanted to ask but thought I should not like how long is the boat drill.

YOu little girl is so cute. Believe me write down the cute things she says. I wish now I would have. I have a 9 and 6 year old and they say less and less cute things

I am so happy you got better. I was reading and saying to my self. this is us we are going to get sick. We are only 15 days away. We have two big things and then I think I am going to lock us in the house. Ok maybe I can't but i am thinking it

I can not wait to hear about CC. We are also doing nassau but I do not think that you went there. I am so glad you are adding the navigators

I can not wait to see the menus. How did you get yours. I want them so bad also. I scrapbook
Thanks. Don't worry too much about getting sick. I think the trick for us all getting over it was making sure we kept up on sleep and took our vitamin C. I never usually do that, but I figured if I got too tired, I would get really sick.
I'll continue posting navigators and menus for each day as I write about them. The way I got them was just by going to guest services and asking for a copy. They were great about it and made the copies right away. I also wanted them possibly for a scrapbook one day. Plus, I hoped they would be useful for those who haven't seen them yet, or for those looking to see if things have changed since their last trip.

Thanks for reading. I'll update more later.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:20 PM   #43
OurOhana
Mouseketeer

Day One continued

We had dinner at Lumineer’s the first night. It was a pretty restaurant and we met our tablemates from New Jersey. I’ll be honest, we were most worried about who we would be seated with at dinner. When we went on Holland America the first time, we sat by ourselves. The second time, we sat with family members. This would be the first time we would sit with strangers all week.

Turns out there was nothing to worry about. We became fast friends. Our DDs became even faster friends. They really made our trip much more memorable and fun. In fact, we got a big laugh at the end of the first night when the husband of the other family told my husband that he had been concerned when he first sat down because he thought my husband had large hoop earrings in his ears. (It was the way the band that he wore around his neck to keep ahold of his sunglasses looked.) We all got a giggle out it.
The food on the other hand – well, it was just OK. In some cases, it was less than OK.

Day one menu

That night, I had the shrimp medley, (which was pretty good,) I had the Boulllibaise soup, (which was ok but had only a couple pieces of seafood in it, but I didn’t expect much in the soup,) I had Coquilles St. Jacques, (which had scallops, mushrooms and shallots in white sauce. They were baked with mashed potatoes on top. I really like seafood, but it wasn’t good at all. I will say though that there was quite a bit of scallops in this dish.)

DH had the duck appetizer, (which was mostly an empty pie shell.) DH had tomato and basil soup, (which he really disliked because it was very salty, said it tasted like it was made using sea water). DH had the roasted beef tenderloin – (he said it was pretty good.)

DD had hamburger from the kid’s menu. She hardly touched it. She did, however, have some of the pasta from the plate of our 3-year-old tablemate. She seemed to like it. To be honest, though, she was just tired and not interested in sitting still for two hours. We skipped dessert that night.

OK, so I know we sound like complainers when it comes to meals. It gets better for food later on, when we figure out what we think the ship does best when it comes to food. Now, even this first night, it doesn’t mean that hubby goes hungry. We couldn’t let that happen. He went to Pluto’s Dog House and got a hotdog and hamburger. The hamburger was nothing special, but the hotdog was good – He would have quite a few more later in the trip. I had some of the fries, which were really good.

Now, about that forgotten birthday. No one actually forgot DH’s birthday. But the ship was going to give him a cake that night, when I had requested it. But they forgot. I felt a little bad for him, in part because I didn’t want him to think I forgot him. So I told him what was supposed to happen and told him we’d probably get a cake later in the week. No big deal.

Before we went snacking, we went by the club with DD. She asked if she could stay for a little bit, which we said was fine. We went exploring and then went back to get her about an hour later. I actually went to get her, while DH went back to the room. So didn’t know the club had paged us. So when I showed up, I was in shock when they told me DD had an accident. Now she’s been potty trained since just after Christmas 2007. She hasn’t even used pull-ups at night for about 10 months. But the counselors were really nice about it. They said she was just excited. DD wasn’t phased at all. But she was fine about leaving the club that night.

The Oceaneers Club for 3-4 year olds, though sometimes also older children

I think we had an elephant towel animal that night, but we didn’t get a picture. We were all just so tired.

Before we went to bed, we filled out the breakfast menu for 8 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. the next day. I know we got coffee and chocolate milk for DD (she lived on the chocolate milk that week. She will have a tough time adjusting to white milk again.) I know I also got croissants, which were pretty good and staple for me most of the week. We loved doing room service every morning, so we didn’t have to rush out of our room. If we were still hungry, we went to a restaurant later in the morning.

Room service breakfast menu

We were probably asleep by about 10 p.m. – all of us.

UP NEXT: A birthday remembered, our first seat day, a visit with some more favorite characters.

Last edited by OurOhana; 02-09-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:47 PM   #44
DisneyPinDiva
What? There's no more shrimp left? Who could have eaten them all?

Location: Where ever the Magic Wonder Dream or Fantasy takes me....

You are doing a great job with the trip report!!! Looks like a few menu items have changed.. but thank goodness I still see my Creme' Brulee!!!

I had to laugh when you mentioned the large shrimp at the embarkation buffet... I live for that stuff!! See my tag? The Tag Fairy knows I am a shrimp addict! One cruise they didn't have the shrimp in Parrot Cay and I almost fainted! I think the Tag Fairy must have been on that cruise... I found it later on up at Topsiders thank goodness!!!! Now I check the line before I sit down to make SURE it's there!!

Keep up the great report... Thanks for the navigators and menu and movie schedule especially.. we're looking forward to seeing Bolt!

Too many cruises to keep track of anymore!! MAGIC x 6, WONDER x 12, DREAM x 4 FANTASY x2 FIRST to
MAGICally cross from Kingdom to Kingdom! DCL Inaugural Panama Canal Crossing - May 2005, ,DVC Member Since 1992
I know where the Magic starts...

DisneyPinDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:48 PM   #45
tgropp
DIS Veteran

We loved ordering the continental breakfast at 7 every morning. We would order orange juice, a pot of coffee and some pastries. They always insisted on taking it out to the balcony, so I would open the door, tip him, climb back into bed for another 20 minutes and then we would go and have our coffee,etc on the balcony. Great trip report. Keep it up and Thanks for helping me relieve our cruise again.
Feb 2012: DCL Mexican Riviera Cruise Dec 2011: VWL/BCV
Christmas 2010: VWL
Nov 2009: BC Villas Dec 2008: VWL/AKV/ Dolphin
Dec 2007: BWV/VWL Feb 2007: Dolphin/DCL Eastern cruise/OKW/VWL
Christmas/New Years 2005: WL/Dolphin
Dec 2002: AKL/WL
Christmas/New years 2000: BC/WL Christmas/New Years 1998: WL/BC
Christmas 1996:WL Junior Suite Christmas 1994: WL
Dec 1992:CBR Dec1989, April 1983, Jan 1980: OffSite
tgropp is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: