Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2009, 08:30 PM   #16
OurOhana
Mouseketeer

Accola, I just posted on the meet thread for our trip. Thank you for letting me know about it. I swear, I'm getting more giddy by the day. I can't believe it's just two weeks from tomorrow. We live in Florida, but we're also going through quite a cold snap. But it doesn't bother me at the moment, because it won't be long before I'm on CC and the other islands!!

OK Fairfax, I was already excited. But I have to say that picture is really beautiful. I can't wait to see that view for myself. And your kids are adorable too! I'm glad to hear they enjoyed it. Since your youngest is my daughter's age, I hope that's a sign my DD will enjoy it too.

HAL Maasdam Feb. 16, 2003 * HAL Zuiderdam Sept. 7, 2003
DCL Magic Jan. 31, 2009 * DCL Wonder Sept. 17, 2009 * DCL Wonder Sept. 20, 2009 * DCL Fantasy Apr. 27, 2013

OurOhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:13 AM   #17
TammyNC
WISH Biggest Loser/Red Team
Would rather be her own person than share a tag
Always shares her Pixie Dust!

Loved reading your pre-trip report, will be back to follow along. Our first cruise is still over 400 days away but I'm surviving by reading so much on the boards.

Your daughter is beautiful!!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2009, 08:20 AM   #18
OurOhana
Mouseketeer

It all started with a Minnie.

When we adopted our little girl three years ago, my DH made a purchase that would have a lasting impression - It was a stuffed Minnie Mouse. A huge one, if I remember correctly, though I'm sure one of the smaller ones could have come first.

So with that Minnie, and dozens more to follow in the form of other stuffed animals, collectibles, clothes, etc., we had created a third Disney fan in our family.

We spent much of her first three years watching all things Disney on the TV. Mickey Mouse Clubhouse has been a favorite for a long time. Princess just started to become the rage last year. Now she believes she's a beautiful big pink Cinderella. (We think this is because she prefers a pink dress to the traditional Cinderella blue.)

We haven't told DD where we are going and don't plan to before we get there. Now, this won't be quite the same as if she were a year or two older. We caught on that she doesn't really understand what a "trip" is when we went to stay in our family cabin in October, but had to leave it when we discovered a water leak. DD kept asking if our "trip" was broken. So we decided we'd just wait until we showed up at the ship and let it all sink in for her. Of course, I'm sure she'll want room service and Mickey ice cream bars for the weeks, if not months, after we get off the ship, but we'll deal with that when the day comes.

Here are a few oldies, but goodies, from our photo albums:

Our little Minnie (she was 1 at the time)

Our little Donald (2 at the time, and Donald was her fav)

DCL Magic Jan. 31, 2009 * DCL Wonder Sept. 17, 2009 * DCL Wonder Sept. 20, 2009 * DCL Fantasy Apr. 27, 2013

Old 01-17-2009, 08:23 AM   #19
OurOhana
Mouseketeer

Thanks TammyNC. I've been doing the same thing, enjoying the boards to help me pass the time. It helps that we booked late, but I have a feeling I'll have a longer wait next time.

You live in Burlington? I used to live there too. I went to college at Elon (before it was a university) and then worked in Burlington for a few years. I absolutely LOVED Burlington. It's a beautiful area.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:52 PM   #20
BeccaGrace
Reads Disney Menus When She's Sad

Thanks for posting on my trip report...I love yours too!
Your dd is too cute...and our dh's have the same birthday!
Can't wait to hear all about your trip

Upcoming Trips:
Moving to Orlando in Summer 2012!
BeccaGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:41 PM   #21
All Things Simba
Can't stop taking photographs!

Smile Magnet for "OurOhana"

Hi there!

Me and another Disboard person created a special magnet just for our 1/31/09 cruise! And... Happy B-Day to your DH!

Go here: and look at Post #1 .. Enjoy!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2009013
8/99-CSR, 1/02-CBR, 2/04-POP, 8/05-DCL Panama Canal Cruise!, 12/07-AKL & POLY for Christmas, 1/09-POFQ & DCL Eastern w/St. Croix!, 10/09 POFQ WDW for Halloween & DCL Halloween Cruise, 4/13-POP Girls trip to WDW for the Epcot F&G Festival!, 10/13-WDW for Halloween and DCL Eastern for niece's wedding on Castaway Cay! 2/14-1st trip to Disneyland!, 1/15-2nd trip to Disneyland.

All Things Simba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #22
jbuckent
DIS Veteran

I'm enjoying your pre-trip report. Can't wait to hear more when you return! We will be on the cruise heading to St Croix the first week in March.
2/2011 Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean | 2/2012 Five nights at Port Orleans French Quarter and 2/2012 Disney Dream 3-night Bahamas
3/2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean with San Juan

11/2014 Wine & Dine half marathon followed by
11/2014 Disney Dream 4-night Bahamas
jbuckent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:49 PM   #23
OurOhana
Mouseketeer

All things Simba - Thank you for the link to the magnet. In all of the other planning I've done, I've thought about doing magnets, but I haven't started them yet. I think you've convinced me to at least do a few. I've already saved a few ideas from the threads. This will be the one I start with when I stop by the office depot for paper.

Jbuckent - Thanks for reading. I'll be sure to post as soon as I can when we return.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:42 AM   #24
OurOhana
Mouseketeer

We are on our way!

The gps says we'll arrive at 9:47 am. Of course with a 3-yr-old who knows. We think we remembered everything. If not we think we can live without it. We are beyond excited - especially since we had some little dramas in the last couple of weeks. I'll fill you in on more when we return only because I'm not that great typing long posts on my iPhone. I hope everyone has a great week and we'll try to take lots of pics.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:38 PM   #25
Melcatfish
In full planning mode!
Just one more victim of a drive-by tag attack

Looking forward to your trip report - I hope your cruise gets off to a wonderful start

Mel
x
Melcatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:07 AM   #26
mumom95
DIS Veteran

I was just thinking about you today, your cruise will end tomorrow

But I am looking forward to hearing all about it. Hope you had a safe trip home.

1990 High School band trip - stayed offsite, 1996 Honeymoon - Carribean Beach Resort, 2007 Thanksgiving - Wilderness Lodge, 2008 Christmas - Port Orleans Riverside , March 2009 Disney Cruise on the Magic, August 2009 Disney cruise on the Wonder
mumom95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:37 AM   #27
OurOhana
Mouseketeer

We are back

And it was fantastic. My husband wanted it to last longer. Our daughter truly believes she's a princess now and wants to know when she can go on another trip and back to the club. We met new friends and we are planning our second Disney cruise later this year. More to come later... Still on iPhone so I need to get to my laptop when we get home.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:53 PM   #28
OurOhana
Mouseketeer

Last-Minute planning/packing/worrying and finally EMBARKATION day – Jan. 31

Well, I'm on laundry load No. 5, but we are completely unpacked. Still have to put the luggage away. And my daughter took her longest nap in a week - 2 1/2 hours. We already miss the Magic. It was really a great vacation.

I promise you plenty of photos. Also, I kept every navigator and got copies of the menus. (I think many are the same I've seen before, but there may have been some changes.) I tried to keep copies of most everything we got, so if you have questions about something on the boat (anything from drycleaning or spa costs to workout schedules - not that we did ANY workouts) I might have copies of the forms. I'm happy to look to see if I have the answer - at least for our cruise. Please don't hesitate to ask questions.

First, let me backtrack a bit to before the trip:
So about a week and a half before the big day arrived, my DD comes into my room in the middle of the night making a very odd sound.

“Mommy, I have a bark,” she said just before she actually barked, at least it sounded just like a bark.

When she went to bed, she was fine. So this was a little odd. I couldn’t sleep after about 6 a.m., so I got up and called the doctor’s office around 7 a.m. (we have a 24-hour pediatrician – very nice perk to being patients there) The doctor could see her around 7:30 a.m. I brought with me all of her asthma medicine, since I had some older medication because she rarely had a coughing fit anymore. I wanted the doctor to tell me what was still good, so I could toss out the old stuff and also so I could pack it in case she started coughing on the trip.

But it wasn’t asthma. It was the croop. Am I spelling that right? My husband was planning to return to town that afternoon, so I called him and told him what was going on. I got my daughter some medicine for the croop and began to worry that this was the beginning of her getting really sick.
Turns out I was wrong. She didn’t get really sick, just a normal cold.

Here's our princess before we left for the trip

But my husband got home just in time to catch her little cold. His cough didn’t sound like a bark, thankfully, but he was sick over the weekend. I figured I was definitely going to get sick – I just hoped it was sooner rather than later. The cruise was one week away.

On Wednesday, I started getting sick. Darn it. I knew I had time to get over it, but when I get a cold, I sometimes get one of those nagging coughs that lasts for two weeks or more. It’s gone during the day for the most part, but starts up in the middle of the night and makes it hard for me to sleep. I was so worried I was going to get that.

I worked Wednesday and then most of the day Thursday, but headed home early Thursday afternoon. I tried to rest, while I finished up some work from home. I went to bed early, took tons of vitamin C and tried every other medication known to mankind, or at least it felt like it.

Friday, I stayed home. My husband took my daughter to school and I slept in a little. I did the rest of my work from home, and we continued the packing.
I tried to move most of what we would need into a spare bedroom the weeks leading up to the trip. But we still had more to move in to there, and then of course put it all in suitcases, after some last minute laundry.

We packed a ton of stuff (despite all of the advice I read on the boards to not over pack.) But it could have been worse. We had four bags, including our hang-up bag and 20-bottles of water in one of the bags. We knew we’d have plenty of room to bring back most of the stuff we’d buy.

We finished packing that night and went to bed a little early. We wanted to get up around 6 a.m. and get on the road by about 6:45 a.m. My husband agreed with what I read on the boards about getting there as early as possible. So we wanted to get to the port around 10 a.m., if possible. We live 2 ½ hours away away, but with a 3-year-old old, there would be at least one potty break. Plus, we needed to make a breakfast stop. I think ended up with a second potty stop.

Before we got to bed, we had our last bit of drama.

We heard crying coming from our DD’s room. She was supposed to be asleep, but she had been up playing. Somehow she stuck the antenna from her stereo/cd player in her mouth and it ripped the inside of her cheek. Ouch. She was bleeding a little and very upset. I, of course, worried this was the start of a crazy trip. But she went to bed shortly after. I still never figured out why she put the antenna in her mouth in the first place and how it cut her.

I woke up before the alarm went off that morning – which is unheard of. But I was the kind of kid who on Christmas Eve stayed up ALL NIGHT LONG. So I figured the fact that I slept at all was a plus. But considering I was getting over my cold, I knew I had to get my rest.

We sang Happy Birthday to DH and I told DD we were going on a special trip for Daddy’s Birthday and we got dressed and on the road. (I felt much better, and never got the nagging cough.)

So after a McDonald’s stop, we were on the road. We arrived at the port at 9:47 a.m – give or take a few minutes

Here was our view as we got to the port

We had to wait until about 10:00, I think, before they would let the cars in. My husband dropped me and DD off with the luggage and I almost forgot to give the porter the money in my pocket. I was petrified of this, because I was afraid they would “lose” our luggage. But I remembered, and we went inside.

DD was very excited when she saw the “Mickey Boat.” Remember, she didn’t know what we were going to do, she just knew we were going on a trip. We went inside, got through security no problem went in to check in. Somehow, even though we were the fourth car in, we got a boarding pass No. 3. We saw a lot of buses pulling up as we came in, so I guess a lot of people got in while the cars were checking in. No big deal, from all of my reading, I knew it would all go fast.

When my husband came in, he laughed at me when he realized I forgot to check DD into the Club. Not sure how I forgot that, but I had a lot on my mind. It was still a pretty short line, maybe five people ahead of us. So we went ahead and got that done. My DD wasn’t thrilled to be wearing the band, but we told her it was beautiful and she could wear it all week. She seemed to buy it, and rarely mentioned the band again.

While we waited, DD snacked on goldfish and watched television (though the channels had a lot of static.) She didn’t seem to care. And then she saw Minnie.

Later, Mickey came out.

Finally, 11:45 a.m. rolled around and they were boarding people. At that point, DD and I were in the restroom. When we came out, DH said they had already called No. 1 and No. 2. YEAH, it was almost our turn.

Sometime just before noon, we walked through the ears and on to the boat. Now I do have to tell you that our DD never realized we got on to the boat. For the next three days, she asked when we were going on Mickey’s Boat. My husband tried and tried to explain, but she couldn’t see the bottom of the boat, so she didn’t believe it. She believed we were in a hotel (or as she calls them, Showl ‘n tell) for days.

UP NEXT: DAY ONE ABOARD THE MAGIC
AND COMING UP: OUR DD FINALLY BELIEVES WE’RE ON THE MICKEY BOAT, SHE ALSO PROVIDES ME WITH ONE OF MY MOST MORTIFYING MOMENTS (You know, children say the darnedest things.)WE MAKE NEW FRIENDS, A FORGOTTEN BIRTHDAY? AND MUCH MORE.

Last edited by OurOhana; 02-07-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:26 PM   #29
disneynewbee
DIS Veteran

Lovin your report so far, can't wait to hear the rest.

10/2004 ASMo, 11/2006 POP, 10/2009 POP, 11/2012 POP
disneynewbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:26 PM   #30
mumom95
DIS Veteran

Great start, don't leave us hanging too long!!

1990 High School band trip - stayed offsite, 1996 Honeymoon - Carribean Beach Resort, 2007 Thanksgiving - Wilderness Lodge, 2008 Christmas - Port Orleans Riverside , March 2009 Disney Cruise on the Magic, August 2009 Disney cruise on the Wonder
mumom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: