Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2009, 11:38 PM   #481
Backstage_Gal
Let me rephrase the dog stew remark
I broke more than I used

Location: On my couch with my laptop and a glass of wine in Florida

Salutes to Grandpa Walter!

Veterans all over the world. My dad was a POW in a russian camp for 3 years and almost died there. They fed him cabbage water for years. He almost died on the way home on the train. (miraculously, he recovered to conceive me later, LOL).

My uncle was shot in russia in the neck and died. Eeery thing is, there was a big 10 x 20 or something picture in my grandparents house, and a bomb attack singed his picture right in the neck where he got shot. didn't burn it,just singed it right where he got shot. 2 uncles had legs amputated in the war.
I have a couple of great pics of my dad in WW II in uniform and my grandfather from WW I with a spike helmet and sworWhen my browas little, like 3 and 4 and 5, he used to cry, please dont dont let any more bombers come. My parents house got bombed out.
Nobody wants fight in wars. Not my father, not my grandfather, and not my son who is in the airforece now. Let's hope all will work out.

Now back to your regularly scheduled GB report. Cant wait! It's a great big beatifulful tomorrow!

What's for dinner? R the world I mean.

Last edited by Backstage_Gal; 05-26-2009 at 12:25 AM. Reason: PS: try flip flops. well, ok, i hate them too.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:37 AM   #482
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Just read the "firsts" post - it will be so fun to be back and see familar things, yet have so much be brand new! And not sure if someone already told you, but yep, they do have the chalet still standing where the skyway was. The World's Largest Fantasyland Stroller Parking is directly below it. The "dock" in Tomorrowland was still there and I believe now Stitch's new dance show is in that area? I think...

Love your post about your Grandpa. And BIG scores on the deals at Kohls!! I just had American Tourister luggage from Kohls-it was a great set, served me well. Well enough to sell it at a garage sale just a few weekends ago - despite MANY trips between NYC and MN. We just had way to much luggage, so some had to go. Good buy!
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-26-2009, 01:24 AM   #483
burly
DIS Veteran

AW GB beautiful memorial of Grandpa!
Only Two more sleeps til i'm home in WDW.
See ya on the flipside.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:51 AM   #484
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

Such a touching, and well-written in memorium! Thanks for the reminder that the country I get to return to permanently someday (because of men like Walter who fought for my privelege to carry a passport saying I can come and go with freedom!), was forged by brave men who sacrificed more than most of will ever know, and take too much for granted!

Both my grandfathers also fought in the War, one was on a ship that was torpedoed, the other won't talk much about his experiences. Also had a great uncle who was with the first wave at Normandy. Again, won't talk AT ALL about that- too much trauma to be relived, I suppose. I think every young man 17 and up should be required to watch Saving Private Ryan.

Great installment!

Liesa

Old 05-26-2009, 09:51 AM   #485
whogirl'smom
Any leftover grumpiness can be taken care of by a little wine
Like a box of Cheez-its, I couldn't put it down

I loved your salute to your Grandpa. My uncle was in the Navy during WWII on a battle ship in the Pacific and, luckily, made it through the war with no injuries. He told me he was on the USS Lyric, but I'm not sure if I'm spelling that correctly because I haven't been able to find a record of it.

Yay for wide shoes--dh has wide feet, too. You know what's shaped like wide feet, don'tcha??? CROCS!

Looking forward to hearing about the food plans!

Old 05-26-2009, 11:31 AM   #486
joleen76
Forever Mickey's Girl

Location: Corpus Christi, Texas (aka retirment training for Disney)

I too loved your post about your grandpa. Mine was also in WWII, he was in the big bombers and ended up loosing most of his hearing because of it. I couldn't be more proud of him and he was proud of our country. He's been gone for many years now, but I am like you and can't wait to see him again.

Kohl's rocks! Always a sale going on. Getting down to the 3 week mark for your trip! I'm so excited for you!

6th grd DL; 7/95 Swan; 5/03 ASMo; 5/04 POP; 5/05 POP; 5/06 POR; 5/07 POFQ; 11/07 BC T-day/MVMCP ;6/08 YC & CR DISNEYMOON ; 11/08 AS Sp. T-day/MVMCP 6/10 Ft. Wild Cab; 6/11 POP; 8/12 ASMo; 6/14 CBR Grad Trip
Mom Dad DS 18 DS 14 DS 12 DS 10
Old 05-26-2009, 08:07 PM   #487
Beka
Goes to 11

Love the tribute. My great uncle was also at Pearl Harbor, but won't talk about it.

Trips to see The Mouse
1984 1988 1992 1994 1995 1996 2009 2010 2012 2013
Old 05-26-2009, 08:08 PM   #488
GreatBiscuit
Golden but never flaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstage_Gal View Post
Salutes to Grandpa Walter!

Veterans all over the world. My dad was a POW in a russian camp for 3 years and almost died there. They fed him cabbage water for years. He almost died on the way home on the train. (miraculously, he recovered to conceive me later, LOL).

My uncle was shot in russia in the neck and died. Eeery thing is, there was a big 10 x 20 or something picture in my grandparents house, and a bomb attack singed his picture right in the neck where he got shot. didn't burn it,just singed it right where he got shot. 2 uncles had legs amputated in the war.
I have a couple of great pics of my dad in WW II in uniform and my grandfather from WW I with a spike helmet and sworWhen my browas little, like 3 and 4 and 5, he used to cry, please dont dont let any more bombers come. My parents house got bombed out.
Nobody wants fight in wars. Not my father, not my grandfather, and not my son who is in the airforece now. Let's hope all will work out.

Now back to your regularly scheduled GB report. Cant wait! It's a great big beatifulful tomorrow!

What's for dinner? R the world I mean.
The stories of POW's are always the most heart rending. Thanks for sharing! The picture story was both cool and a little eerie. Which I like. A salute back to you for the heroes of BSG clan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
Just read the "firsts" post - it will be so fun to be back and see familar things, yet have so much be brand new! And not sure if someone already told you, but yep, they do have the chalet still standing where the skyway was. The World's Largest Fantasyland Stroller Parking is directly below it. The "dock" in Tomorrowland was still there and I believe now Stitch's new dance show is in that area? I think...
I am so eager for all the newbies that I am virtually counting down hour by hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
Love your post about your Grandpa. And BIG scores on the deals at Kohls!! I just had American Tourister luggage from Kohls-it was a great set, served me well. Well enough to sell it at a garage sale just a few weekends ago - despite MANY trips between NYC and MN. We just had way to much luggage, so some had to go. Good buy!
Whatís funny is that I had never been in a Kohls before I met my Minnesota gal. Iíd never even heard of the place. She introduced me to it in college and BOY was I happy when they started building them down here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burly View Post
AW GB beautiful memorial of Grandpa!
Only Two more sleeps til i'm home in WDW.
See ya on the flipside.
Thanks! Have a GREAT time! Canít wait to hear all about your trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
Such a touching, and well-written in memorium! Thanks for the reminder that the country I get to return to permanently someday (because of men like Walter who fought for my privelege to carry a passport saying I can come and go with freedom!), was forged by brave men who sacrificed more than most of will ever know, and take too much for granted!
Thanks and here-here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
Both my grandfathers also fought in the War, one was on a ship that was torpedoed, the other won't talk much about his experiences. Also had a great uncle who was with the first wave at Normandy. Again, won't talk AT ALL about that- too much trauma to be relived, I suppose. I think every young man 17 and up should be required to watch Saving Private Ryan.

Great installment!

Liesa
I donít remember my grandfather talking much about it until later in life. Much of the story I learned from grandmother after he passed and from his photo albums and memorabilia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogirl'smom View Post
I loved your salute to your Grandpa. My uncle was in the Navy during WWII on a battle ship in the Pacific and, luckily, made it through the war with no injuries. He told me he was on the USS Lyric, but I'm not sure if I'm spelling that correctly because I haven't been able to find a record of it.
Thanks! A big salute to your uncle as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogirl'smom View Post
Yay for wide shoes--dh has wide feet, too. You know what's shaped like wide feet, don'tcha??? CROCS!

Looking forward to hearing about the food plans!
Havenít ever tried crocs. Just canít bring myself to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joleen76 View Post
I too loved your post about your grandpa. Mine was also in WWII, he was in the big bombers and ended up loosing most of his hearing because of it. I couldn't be more proud of him and he was proud of our country. He's been gone for many years now, but I am like you and can't wait to see him again.
Another salute out to your grandpa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joleen76 View Post
Kohl's rocks! Always a sale going on. Getting down to the 3 week mark for your trip! I'm so excited for you!
3 weeks and a couple of days. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOPIDY !WOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Note: No trees were killed in the posting of this reply, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:11 PM   #489
GreatBiscuit
Golden but never flaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beka View Post
Love the tribute. My great uncle was also at Pearl Harbor, but won't talk about it.
Thanks! Another Salute out to your Great Uncle!

Note: No trees were killed in the posting of this reply, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:15 PM   #490
Mrs. The King
Jiggler Owner

Three cheers for an American Hero. Your grandfather sounds like an amazing man. What a great guy to have as an ancestor for your children.

The Donald references had me Loved it! Is that how I will recognize you in Disney, The Donald with pants on?
Old 05-26-2009, 09:25 PM   #491
GreatBiscuit
Golden but never flaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. The King View Post
Three cheers for an American Hero. Your grandfather sounds like an amazing man. What a great guy to have as an ancestor for your children.
He was definitely a hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. The King View Post
The Donald references had me Loved it! Is that how I will recognize you in Disney, The Donald with pants on?
You got it! I'll also be the only one taking a photo of the restrooms at the canadian outpost.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:29 PM   #492
chicagoshannon
DIS Veteran

Awesome story about your grandpa. I bet seeing the Pearl Harbor movie really hits home with you.

My dad has super wide feet and always has luck with New Balance shoes.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:39 PM   #493
GreatBiscuit
Golden but never flaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoshannon View Post
Awesome story about your grandpa. I bet seeing the Pearl Harbor movie really hits home with you.
I LOVE that movie. I watch it often. I've even used a couple of clips from it as sermon illustrations when I filled in for our pastor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoshannon View Post
My dad has super wide feet and always has luck with New Balance shoes.
Thanks! I'll have to try some on.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:12 PM   #494
chunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

Hi there!

Hi Greatbiscuit. I'm new posting to the Disboards and I just wanted to say I really enjoyed your super-lengthy-many-years-in-the-making trip and pre-trip report. Can't wait to read what you thought after your trip! My DH and I just got back yesterday from 4 rainy days in the parks, and I remembered thinking to myself how I read your trip report from your honeymoon and how it rained a lot then too. Ponchos do come in handy! I'm in the process of writing a trip report myself over the next few days. But thanks again for the lovely memories!
Old 05-27-2009, 10:08 PM   #495
GreatBiscuit
Golden but never flaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkymonkey View Post
Hi Greatbiscuit. I'm new posting to the Disboards and I just wanted to say I really enjoyed your super-lengthy-many-years-in-the-making trip and pre-trip report. Can't wait to read what you thought after your trip! My DH and I just got back yesterday from 4 rainy days in the parks, and I remembered thinking to myself how I read your trip report from your honeymoon and how it rained a lot then too. Ponchos do come in handy! I'm in the process of writing a trip report myself over the next few days. But thanks again for the lovely memories!
Howdy and (both to my TR and the DIS) Glad to have you here! I appreciate you reading along and I can't wait to hear about your trip! (Sorry to hear it was a bit soggy.)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: