Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2009, 08:04 AM   #31
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerBelle_325 View Post
Great Reviews so far

I see that you're going to Disney again in just 2 weeks!

You will LOVE the Polynesian It's my all time favorite resort.
Thanks! I really hope I will love the Polynesian. I really love AKL and we decided to go with the Poly this time since we are saving so much with the 4+3 deal that the Poly for the first time comes down to a price that I find half way reasonable. Before my first trip the Poly was the hotel that I dreamed about, but after our first stay at AKL I totally fell in love with AKL, so now I am a bit homesick for my AKL, even though I get to stay at the Poly. I know it sounds very strange and I keep telling me that I will love it there: seeing MK over the lake, taking the monorail to Epcot, enjoying the beach etc....

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellingtonfreak View Post
Great reviews so far! I totally missed that salad at Backlot Express when we were there! Now that we planned our Star Wars Weekends trip, I will HAVE to try it. It looks fabulous!

I am so in for the rest!
Glad that you are enjoying the reviews, I hope to have the salad again in a bit over two weeks time (to be precise, on 1/26 ). I wll report back, whether it is still as good as last year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie08 View Post
Great reviews. I am in. Love to hear more because we love some of the places you dined at!
Welcome! We really enjoyed all of our meals on that trip, it was really hard to figure out where to eat this time, because we wanted to try new places as well as revisit old favourites!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald is #1 View Post
I'm on board!
Welcome! It's great to see so many from the Jambo thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeydust View Post
Really nice pictures and great reviews, I am so looking forward to hearing about these places we haven't been to yet! That salad looks yummy, we will have to try it on our next visit!
Thank you! I am really lucky that Carola is playing along so nicely and patiently waits while I am taking thousands of pictures of our food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFan4Life View Post
Looks nice, less crowded and the food looks yummy

I'll go there someday in our next trip. Thanks
I really like Mara, however, these pictures were taken at "off" times. We (or at least me) are rope drop people, so breakfast there was always before 8 am. Once we were there later and it was getting a bit chaotic. But I never found it unbearable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissiesmum View Post
I can't wait to hear the rest of your reviews...you ate at most of the restaurants I want to try in April
You have a good list of restaurants lined for your trip then! When reading reviews, I find it interesting how different the peoples restaurant choices are. We really like the resort restaurants and eat there a lot, while other people have most of their meals inside the parks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danalee View Post
count me in!
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwthanksgiving View Post
enjoying your reviews...are you on the left ot right in your photo?!
we are going to be at wdw jan 24-jan 27! yippee!!!
thanks for taking the time to post
Sorry, I should have clarified this: I am the one with the pink t-shirt and blond curly hair. I will edit the post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover87 View Post
enjoying your reviiews! were going back in may and then either feb or march and eating at some of those places!!
Welcome! Lucky you that you already have two future trips planned!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahusky View Post
Im in too! Mouth is watering and my mind is wandering to WDW!!!
Welcome, hope you will enjoy the future reviews as well, will post the next one very soon!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:43 AM   #32
Flossbolna

1/30 Dinner at Boma (AKL)

This is the only restaurant we have eaten at for every one of our trips to WDW. We really love the food there. We love all the different tastes we can get there and end up eating as many different things as we can. Our favourites really are the appetizers, the soups, the salads, the bread and dips. While the main dishes are good, we find them to be more “standard” and we rather concentrate on the things that we cannot get anywhere else.

Unfortunately the jet lag really caught up with Carola this evening and she was feeling really bad. Fortunately we were staying at AKL, so she actually went to the room to lie down for about 10 min during the meal and could not really enjoy it as much as she had hoped for. You will not be surprised to hear that we have an ADR for 1/25/09!

I started the meal with drink: a Lemon Drop. I love lemons, so I thought this would be just my drink. It was nice, but too sweet for me.

I have pictures of our plates of food, but unfortunately I don't remember all the dishes anymore. Still, they are nice to look at, here are the pictures:

If you have a specific question, I will try to answer as best as I still remember!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2009, 09:22 AM   #33
jess20k
DIS Veteran

I am enjoying your reviews! We will be staying at AKL for the first time in less than 2 weeks, I cannot wait!

jess20k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:38 AM   #34
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

Great reviews, wish my German was as good as your English you put me to shame!

chocolateMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:52 AM   #35
bonnielynn
DIS Veteran

I'm in...

bonnielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:08 PM   #36
Flossbolna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess20k View Post
I am enjoying your reviews! We will be staying at AKL for the first time in less than 2 weeks, I cannot wait!
AKL is a great hotel, hope you have a fantastic stay there!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolateMinnie View Post
Great reviews, wish my German was as good as your English you put me to shame!
Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnielynn View Post
I'm in...
Welcome, the next review is about to be ready to be posted!

Old 01-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #37
Flossbolna

1/31 Lunch at Teppan Edo (Japan in Epcot)

The next morning, Carola was fortunately feeling much better and we got exactly the same breakfast as the day before. I told you, we really liked it! I also have to mention, that they first wanted to give me apple sauce to go with it, but I had read somewhere on the DIS that people could get grapes, so I asked for them and that was no problem.

Once again we were at Epcot at rope drop (I love the jet lag in this direction: You fell like you slept in when you wake up at 6 am as it is noon for our internal clocks!) and were quite hungry for our lunch at Japan!

Teppan style dining is not very common in Germany and those restaurants are usually extremely expensive. I had always wanted to try this, so was very excited that we would be able to try out the at this time still pretty newly renovated Teppan Edo.

Our ADR was for 12 pm, that was the first seating for lunch. We were one of the first parties to check in and were told to wait in the entrance area. They have small Japanese opening ceremony here, which was a nice start:

We were then lead to our table. There are several rooms behind each other, each with four tables:

Above each table is a huge fume hood ( that's the word my dictionary comes up with???):

At the start of the meal our server brought out hot towels. These were great!

For my drink I got an iced green tea. It was ok, but I have had better iced green teas before:

Carola and I decided to get a couple of appetizers and the split an entree.

We wanted to try something we never had heard of before: Edamame, young soy beans:

They were absolutely delicious!! I have since realized that many Japanese restaurants here offer them and I order them regularly. But very few times, have I gotten ones that were as good as at Teppan Edo!

We also had Assorted Tempura (shrimp, chicken breast and seasoned vegetables with a Japanese dipping sauce). The picture shows it half eaten:

The tempura was nice, but not spectacular. I think we focused so much on the edamame that we did not really notice the tempura.

For our entree we had the sirloin steak and chicken combination. Sharing was no problem, we just got each half a portion on our plates. And we did not have to share the sauces! This was good as the meat itself is rather flavourless in my opinion. But the sauces were fantastic, so we really liked the combination. Our chef made quite a show and I was happily snapping away, so here are lots of pictures:

setting up:

distributing the sauces, while explaining them:

the making of an onion volcano:

the chef making fun of my camera:

serious meat preperation:

my chicken portion (edited to add: I think it must be the steak after closer looking at it, sorry for the confusion!) (that's a quarter of a full meal or half of my split portion)

I totally forgot to take a picture of the chicken, I think I had eaten it by the time I got the steak.

Overall we really enjoyed Teppan Edo, but we found it a bit over prized for what it offers. We are not planning a return trip this year, we rather want to try something new. However, I will happily go there again on another trip. I am really glad I finally got to experience this style!

Last edited by Flossbolna; 01-11-2009 at 04:05 PM. Reason: chicken and steak confusion...
Old 01-11-2009, 03:43 PM   #38
mickeymotto
Where in the "World" am I?

I'm so glad you posted those Mara photos and tips. We will be there this summer and I love seeing the restaurant area. It just gets me more excited about our upcoming trip!

BTW, love your reviews so far....more, more, more!!!!
Old 01-11-2009, 03:46 PM   #39
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post

my chicken portion (that's a quarter of a full meal or half of my split portion)

I totally forgot to take a picture of the steak as I was already enjoying my food when I got it.

Overall we really enjoyed Teppan Edo, but we found it a bit over prized for what it offers. We are not planning a return trip this year, we rather want to try something new. However, I will happily go there again on another trip. I am really glad I finally got to experience this style!
I was glad to see a review for Teppan Edo, I am considering it for a trip this year. But are you sure your picture is chicken and not steak? Either you have your pics mixed up, or that is some nasty looking chicken and I think I'll pass!
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:56 PM   #40
PNO4TE
DIS Musician
Piano Teacher
Can't stay awake at night for the "hen parties"

Quote:
If you have a specific question, I will try to answer as best as I still remember!
Where are your Zebra Domes???

"Music... this is the favorite passion of my soul." ~ Thomas Jefferson
‎"Good wine is a necessity of life for me" ~ Thomas Jefferson

In memory of June. 09/04/06. "Keep the board going for me while I'm gone..."
PNO4TE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:01 PM   #41
Flossbolna

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymotto View Post
I'm so glad you posted those Mara photos and tips. We will be there this summer and I love seeing the restaurant area. It just gets me more excited about our upcoming trip!

BTW, love your reviews so far....more, more, more!!!!
I think Mara is a beautifully themed restaurant, I really like it a lot!! AKL is fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
I was glad to see a review for Teppan Edo, I am considering it for a trip this year. But are you sure your picture is chicken and not steak? Either you have your pics mixed up, or that is some nasty looking chicken and I think I'll pass!
I guess you are right, this is the steak. When I looked at it on photbucket I realized it was only one type of meat, but the picture was much smaller, so I decided it had to be the chicken...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNO4TE View Post
Where are your Zebra Domes???
Elin, pleas don't tell anyone. You have discovered my secret: I don't like Zebra Domes I guess this is the reason why I am not an official member of the Wilbunch Gang

Old 01-11-2009, 04:05 PM   #42
PNO4TE
DIS Musician
Piano Teacher
Can't stay awake at night for the "hen parties"

Quote:
Elin, pleas don't tell anyone. You have discovered my secret: I don't like Zebra Domes I guess this is the reason why I am not an official member of the Wilbunch Gang
Magdalene, I am not crazy about them either. I think it is the flavor of the Amarula Cream Liqueur. I am not an official member either, so maybe that is why!

By the way, I think your flume hood is what we call a vent hood.

"Music... this is the favorite passion of my soul." ~ Thomas Jefferson
‎"Good wine is a necessity of life for me" ~ Thomas Jefferson

In memory of June. 09/04/06. "Keep the board going for me while I'm gone..."
PNO4TE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:38 PM   #43
Flossbolna

1/31 Dinner at Sunshine Seasons (Epcot)

This was our absolute favourite counter service restaurant in 2007. So we really had to make a repeat visit!!

I went with my favourite dish from last year: the salad with seared tuna:

The salad was good but not as great as in 2007 . I found the tuna to be a bit tough to eat. Do you see the white in the meat, that was not chewable. The rest of the meat was fine, though. Carola got the same salad and she had no complaints.

We are planning a return trip again this year, but I think I want to try something else. The sandwiches sound really nice, but so does the caesar's salad. That's another dish not really available in Germany, and I really love it! Carola always says that I would be happy to only eat caesar's salads and ribs while I am on holiday in the US.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:41 PM   #44
Flossbolna

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNO4TE View Post
Magdalene, I am not crazy about them either. I think it is the flavor of the Amarula Cream Liqueur. I am not an official member either, so maybe that is why!

By the way, I think your flume hood is what we call a vent hood.
Thanks for help with the language!

I think for me it is that it is too sweet and possibly the coffee taste. I love Amarula, I once brought a bottle back home from South Africa when it was not yet available in Europe. And me and my friends agreed that it tastes like Bailey's, only better!

Old 01-11-2009, 04:42 PM   #45
Flossbolna

Bonus post: pictures of Backlot Express

Sorry, I totally forgot that I had tried to take quite a lot of restaurant pictures as well as those of the food.

So here are my picures of Backlot Express. I think it is an extremely well themed restaurant. And by the way, there also is a Backlot Express restaurant at the Walt Disney Studios Paris (the second theme park at Disneyland Paris). They nearly are twin brothers!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: