Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2009, 05:32 PM   #106
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydusted View Post
I was thinking that same thing as everyone else... the photo in dress up clothes. I know you don't have to be super fancy for the Cali Grill. When we went it was EMH at MK and we went over after dinner and walked around and then got some really fun photopass pictures with the castle lit up in different colors. It was nice in to be in dress clothes for some of of our photopass pictures. I suspect that the hours will be late when you are there even without the EMH.
OR... you could just say you have a surprise for everyone and they have to be dressed up for it... lead them on a guessing game with clues so they can figure it out??? That could be fun too.
This made me think of a scavenger hunt. Make up little clues in envelopes or something like that.
POR July 2006;POR June 13-21 2008;ASM Sept 26-28 2008;RPR July 14-16, 2009;POR July 16-21 2009;CBR Sept 4-7, 2009, POFQ Thanksgiving 2009, AKKV June 5-6, 2010, POFQ July 2010, AS Sports Sept 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, BLT Feb 2011, POP Apr 2011, SoG May 2011, POR July 2011, POR and POP Aug 2012, CSR Oct 2012, POR Sept 2013, GF Sept 2014

My DH wants another trip to WDW?!?! MNSSHP, F&W, and Diagon Alley A PTR for Sept 2014

Minions take over the MK and cause havoc at Gringott's
Old 03-30-2009, 07:58 PM   #107
DisneyFreak06
DIS Veteran

I would be careful what you say you are doing, because I've heard of people getting upset when they are excited about doing something and end up with something else. I love the idea of a surprise, although I have no idea what to tell them! I surprised my nephew with a breakfast at Chef Mickey's and just told him I always wanted to see the Contemporary and the GF and wanted to take some pictures. He had no problem with that. Then I just wandered into the line and he asked me "Tina, why are we here?" I ignored him and he repeated his question, getting all excited when he realized what was up! It was my favorite memory of our trip. Hopefully you'll be able to pull something great off!
Tina the F.I. Kindergarten Pop Century (06) Pop Century (07) POFQ (09) All Star Music (09) All Star Movies and Grand Floridian(10) DL HoJo Anaheim (12) Port Orleans Riverside (12) DL Carousel Inn (13) Art of Animation and Pop (13)Sports and POR (14)

My Trip Reports:
Someone left their inside b*** on the toilet (WDW, July/Aug 2014) Dorothy and Blanche: a tale of leftover shoes and lost things! My Club 33 Disneyland trip! July 2013A Blast from the Past (2009!)The trip to make up for the cold (WDW, July 2012) I'm never staying home for March Break again (Disneyland, March 2012) You little sneak, a TR with lies and pictures (WDW, July/Aug 2010)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-31-2009, 11:10 AM   #108
ScotsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Thats the only thing isn't it. I don't want to tell the girls about the boat as they will be miffed if we don't go on one!!!

Planning a surprise is too hard!!!
Old 03-31-2009, 01:51 PM   #109
tinkgurl
Life is what happens in between trips to WDW
Those "flying cookies" flying through space can be seen
I'm hoping that the little guy likes them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsMinnie View Post
Thats the only thing isn't it. I don't want to tell the girls about the boat as they will be miffed if we don't go on one!!!

Planning a surprise is too hard!!!
How about, just tell them to dress nice because you guys are doing a photo pass thing on the "observation deck outside the Cali Grill because it has an amazing view of the MK" and then when you get to the Cali Grill level tell them the surprise!
Old 03-31-2009, 03:11 PM   #110
DisneyFreak06
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkgurl View Post
How about, just tell them to dress nice because you guys are doing a photo pass thing on the "observation deck outside the Cali Grill because it has an amazing view of the MK" and then when you get to the Cali Grill level tell them the surprise!
That's a great idea!
Tina the F.I. Kindergarten Pop Century (06) Pop Century (07) POFQ (09) All Star Music (09) All Star Movies and Grand Floridian(10) DL HoJo Anaheim (12) Port Orleans Riverside (12) DL Carousel Inn (13) Art of Animation and Pop (13)Sports and POR (14)

My Trip Reports:
Someone left their inside b*** on the toilet (WDW, July/Aug 2014) Dorothy and Blanche: a tale of leftover shoes and lost things! My Club 33 Disneyland trip! July 2013A Blast from the Past (2009!)The trip to make up for the cold (WDW, July 2012) I'm never staying home for March Break again (Disneyland, March 2012) You little sneak, a TR with lies and pictures (WDW, July/Aug 2010)
Old 03-31-2009, 03:47 PM   #111
ScotsMinnie
DIS Veteran

That would be a fantastic idea but what my Mum does know for sure is that I hate getting my pics taken and avoid photopass photographers and never get the CD done. Not sure she would buy it. She doesn't know Disney but she does know me!!!!!

What about teling her the boat story but saying it is a surprise for the girls so not to tell them. Then the kids won't get excited about a boat trip that is not going to happen. And Mum and Dad won't mind at all about missing out on that.

tricky!!!

Well just been on the phone to make another ADR and the wait is 25 minutes! From the UK that is one expensive wait! Will try tomorrow!
Old 04-03-2009, 12:23 PM   #112
lmillercrew
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsMinnie View Post
That would be a fantastic idea but what my Mum does know for sure is that I hate getting my pics taken and avoid photopass photographers and never get the CD done. Not sure she would buy it. She doesn't know Disney but she does know me!!!!!

What about teling her the boat story but saying it is a surprise for the girls so not to tell them. Then the kids won't get excited about a boat trip that is not going to happen. And Mum and Dad won't mind at all about missing out on that.

tricky!!!

Well just been on the phone to make another ADR and the wait is 25 minutes! From the UK that is one expensive wait! Will try tomorrow!
We've never done a photopass either.

Good luck with the phone waits!

Me DH, DD15 Family 1982, 1989 HS choir trip, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2014
Old 04-06-2009, 09:07 AM   #113
disneydusted
DIS Veteran

Did you get the ADR's you had hoped for?
Old 04-10-2009, 04:36 PM   #114
The Moonk's Mom
DIS Veteran

Hey! I haven't checked in with you in a while...how are your plans coming...mine feel so out of wack this year! I feel like I am forgetting something! Oh well, my 60 day countdown starts in just a few days!
Old 04-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #115
ScotsMinnie
DIS Veteran

My poor little Pre-trippie. I have seriously neglected it! Sorry!

I have loads and loads to update! Been a busy bee getting plans made. Can't wait to share it all with you all.

I am sitting here watching the 11th season finale of Americas Next Top Model so multi-tasking (I know we are months behind you guys so don't tell who wins! - personally I like Annelie but the one I like never wins!!!

Firstly I think I mentioned on here that I was seeing a consultant about a lump on my thyroid gland. Well I saw the consultant tonight and have been told that he is almost 100% sure that it is nothing to worry about. They are going to do an ultrasound to double check and if there is anything abnormal do a biopsy but I feel much relief at the outcome of today. I had a real fear I would get bad news.

(ah I told you! Annelie has just been eliminated! I'm a bad luck charm!)

So with all that stress behind me I can concentrate on my disney plans!

Our ADRs are complete!!!

Bear in mind we are staying off site and are not on the Dining Plan.

We have booked:

Day 1 (25th June) - Whispering Canyon Cafe for lunch

Day 5 (29th June) - California Grill for dinner

Day 7 (1st July) - 1900 Park Fayre breakfast

Day 9 (3rd July) - California Grill for dinner

Day 14 (8th July) - Crystal Palace for dinner (our last night)

So that's it. We have booked the California Grill twice as we are not sure about when they will be running the preview of the 4th July fireworks and thought it would be great to see them from up there. It will be a surprise - I told Mum that we are going to the Boardwalk for dinner on the boat but not to tell the girls as its a surprise for them as we might catch the electrical water pageant on the way home!!!!!! She said "that's a great idea - sounds good get it booked!!! I knew she would fall for it. They trust my implicitly when it comes to Disney stuff. Good job eh?

Katie is looking forward to the 1900 Park Fayre breakfast as she is Mary Poppins daft (or Maryam Poppins as she calls her!). We wanted to try something we hadn't done before - we were planning to do Chef Mickeys for breakfast but we have done that on every trip so far so time for a wee change.

All other meals we will wing it and see what we fancy at the time. We have a few places we like to eat offsite. I am sure we will be visiting the Outback (a real favourite), Bahama Breeze and a few others. Maybe the Golden Corrall (). We will also eat a lot in our villa. We find the portion size in the States huge and struggle to eat out for even 2 meals a day. We would burst!!! I also plan to take some chopped up fruit and other snacks with us. Last time my Dad had a constant supply on gummi bears in his pocket and Emma was constantly dipping in! Not too good for her so trying to ban him from having them in a place she can reach this year. He is gummi bear daft so I don't like my chances. When we got back last year some of her shorts didn't fit!!!! Took her a few weeks of running around with her friends to fit them again!!!!!! A real sign of too many sweeties!!!

The other plan we have put into action is for autographs. We have decided to repeat something that we did 2 trips ago for autographs. I got record cards which are the size of a photograph and printed each one with a little picture (clip art) of a character and on the bottom of each I will put "Emma and Katie's Trip to Walt Disney World 2009". Te problem is making sure you have one for each character you might encounter. In my next update I'll list the ones we have thought of and you can add any I have missed!

In the meantime I have 4 days of my Easter holiday left. Not being at work is a dream - I was needing a break from the pressure of work. The girls are off school and playgroup so we have enjoyed a week and a bit with Daddy at home. Sadly he goes back to work tomorrow so its just the 3 of us. We will probably take my Mum with us and visit a big craft shop near us. I make some jewelery as a hobby and need some bits and bobs. Emma looking for bracelets to match her holiday outfits () so need to stock up a bit.

I'll leave you with a few up to date pics from our Easter holidays.
Hope you are all well

My 2 girls at a local safari park - its nothing like AK!!!!!!

What are you looking at?

The wrinkliest elephant in the world.

Emma at the Pineapple House. You can just see the top of the pineapple in the background!

Katie at the Pineapple House.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:02 PM   #116
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

Glad you were able to make your ADR's. I was telling a friend about the wait times to make ADR's and how you were calling from overseas.

I like the idea of California Grill on July 4th, you won't want to be in the park.

Love the pics. The Meerkat is so cute and I just love that wrinkly old elephant. I love elephants!

The girls looked so cute. What is the pineapple house?
POR July 2006;POR June 13-21 2008;ASM Sept 26-28 2008;RPR July 14-16, 2009;POR July 16-21 2009;CBR Sept 4-7, 2009, POFQ Thanksgiving 2009, AKKV June 5-6, 2010, POFQ July 2010, AS Sports Sept 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, BLT Feb 2011, POP Apr 2011, SoG May 2011, POR July 2011, POR and POP Aug 2012, CSR Oct 2012, POR Sept 2013, GF Sept 2014

My DH wants another trip to WDW?!?! MNSSHP, F&W, and Diagon Alley A PTR for Sept 2014

Minions take over the MK and cause havoc at Gringott's
Old 04-13-2009, 07:14 PM   #117
ScotsMinnie
DIS Veteran

hehe The Pineapple House is near us and its a lovely place to go for a walk through the woods. It was built in about 1760 something by a man who later became to Governor of Virginia. Its a lovely building and the girls are fascinated by it. Katie wanted to go in but you can't. I think it is now rented out as holidays accommodation - at least it used be. But the grounds are open to the public to walk in. Here it is...

Old 04-13-2009, 09:01 PM   #118
lmillercrew
DIS Veteran

I LOVE how you put your Scottish rogue into your updates! "wee" love it!!!
See, I'm the exact opposite of you and your thinking of gummy bears. I love them too and then I think that they are lower in fat than chocolate, PLUS they have gelatin in them which helps your nails grow!! Soooo, then they are a health benefit, right?? My favorite are the Harabo, from Germany. It's funny, because I can buy them at Wal-Mart in the US for $.97, but when I go to Mexico they are like $3-4 for the same size bag! I'm thinking it has something to do with import taxes, maybe????
Congrats on making your ADR's!! There's something about making them that makes the trip seem real. We're staying on property, and we're not doing the dining plan either. Can't fathom spending that kind of money on food. We plan on eating at Crystal Palace and Tony's Town Square.
I absolutely enjoy looking at old architecture! The Pineapple House looks SO cool!! And the grounds look beautiful and so GREEN! Love the little boots that Katie was wearing.
Enjoy the rest of your break. Mine ends today ba bye kids, have a nice day at school tomorrow!!!

Me DH, DD15 Family 1982, 1989 HS choir trip, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2014
Old 04-14-2009, 08:50 AM   #119
disneydusted
DIS Veteran

I am enjoying your Scottish way of speaking in your PTR too! It's fun to hear the way you refer to things!
That Pineapple House is most unusual, especially that sort of architectural detail in the late 1700's... wonder why he wanted a pineapple on his roof?
I agree with you about portion size here in the states... huge! We end up splitting a lot of dinners, but maybe not the desserts!
The green in your photos is wonderful! The trees are finally getting that lime green color here and the flowering trees are all beautiful, still pretty chilly though, it's been below average temps here lately.
Your ADR's will be great fun, can't wait to hear about the California Grill surprise when you do it.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:55 PM   #120
tinkgurl
Life is what happens in between trips to WDW
Those "flying cookies" flying through space can be seen
I'm hoping that the little guy likes them!

Your ADR's look great!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: