Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2009, 01:07 PM   #31
ScotsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moonk's Mom View Post
The pictures are great! Not boring at all.

DH is also trying to plan a trip for us to Europe in a few years and he has asked for my input...I said make it so I don't have to cross the water or get on a plane! I have NEVER flown before....and there is that whole crossing water thing...But your pics inspire me....
You should come over - there are so many places to visit and so many different countries to see. The flight over the Atlantic is not actually that long - it passes reasonably fast. To New York is only about 5 hours so I suppose it depends where you are in the US.

Flying is actually not too bad. I always imagine we are just in this large room and have to stay there. i don't like to think about being up in the sky!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmillercrew View Post
subbing! I can't read right now, but I scrolled past some of your beautiful pics and can't wait to read!!
Glad you are joining in!!!
Old 01-24-2009, 01:09 PM   #32
disneydusted
DIS Veteran

Your post about your area was very fun to read! I too didn't know what a cairn was. So I am guessing that anyone who comes upon one adds a rock? Kind of a neat tradition.
Looking at the beach photos I am wondering about your tides. How high are your tides there? We've got a bit of one here but not very high.
My DD is going to have a fit when she sees these pictures! She is often announcing that she needs to marry someone who owns a castle so she can live in it! Not very likely here.... no castles!
Your wedding picture is wonderful! I love that your DH was in a kilt! Is it common for the groom to wear one for his wedding?
You can tell us about where you live any time! I think we all loved hearing about it!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2009, 05:07 PM   #33
lmillercrew
DIS Veteran

Oh my GOSH! I just saw the pictures of your country and I'm not sure how you could think we would get bored of looking at those!! O.K., where I live, the pics are boring. Definately wouldn't think of Scotland terrain as being boring!
I'm supposed to be getting "fit" too. But I only worked out once this last week. I'm running out of time, so I better get a move on.

Me DH, DD15 Family 1982, 1989 HS choir trip, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2014
Old 01-24-2009, 05:21 PM   #34
ScotsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydusted View Post
Your post about your area was very fun to read! I too didn't know what a cairn was. So I am guessing that anyone who comes upon one adds a rock? Kind of a neat tradition.
Looking at the beach photos I am wondering about your tides. How high are your tides there? We've got a bit of one here but not very high.
My DD is going to have a fit when she sees these pictures! She is often announcing that she needs to marry someone who owns a castle so she can live in it! Not very likely here.... no castles!
Your wedding picture is wonderful! I love that your DH was in a kilt! Is it common for the groom to wear one for his wedding?
You can tell us about where you live any time! I think we all loved hearing about it!
Glad you enjoyed my pics. Yes Grooms traditionally wear kilts to weddings in fact most male guests wear kilts. Here is another pic from our day....

and one from my brothers wedding - all the kilted men and my SIL together.

I love the kilt and think all men look great in one. They are worn quite a lot to functions. In fact DH wore his last night to a Burns Supper.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:22 PM   #35
ScotsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh my GOSH! I just saw the pictures of your country and I'm not sure how you could think we would get bored of looking at those!! O.K., where I live, the pics are boring. Definately wouldn't think of Scotland terrain as being boring!
I'm supposed to be getting "fit" too. But I only worked out once this last week. I'm running out of time, so I better get a move on.
I am not doing too well either! Need to step it up a bit or I will regret it when I get to WDW.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:32 PM   #36
disneydusted
DIS Veteran

Wow, I didn't know kilts were worn so often. Seems like I read that each family has their own pattern?? Is that right? The shoes... looks like they are lace up??
I love your wedding picture! Even a hat too! Another crazy question, are the bridesmaids usually younger? Here the bride will have her sisters or future SIL and close friends, usually not younger girls.
Where did you go for your honeymoon?
Old 01-24-2009, 07:06 PM   #37
addictedtothemouse
DIS Veteran

Love, love, love the pictures from your country.

You're right, one can never have too many lists.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:54 AM   #38
ScotsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wow, I didn't know kilts were worn so often. Seems like I read that each family has their own pattern?? Is that right? The shoes... looks like they are lace up??

Every family can trace their ancestors back to a certain clan and each clan will have their own pattern. Some people choose to wear their families tartan but some choose a kilt because they like it. There are also patterns which are not clan related. The shoes are lace up and they are wrapped up the sock a little.It is also traditional to wear a little dagger called a Sgian Dubh (pronounced Skeen an doo) inside the sock.

I love your wedding picture! Even a hat too! Another crazy question, are the bridesmaids usually younger? Here the bride will have her sisters or future SIL and close friends, usually not younger girls.
Where did you go for your honeymoon?
Yes here too people sometimes have their friends or sisters and SILs. Younger children can be bridesmaids or very little girls can be flower girls. I chose to have my cousins little girls as they were the only kids in the family at that time (brother not married) and as they were willing to come from New Zealand I thought it would be nice. Choosing family is sometimes easier than picking which friends you would want to have!!!!

We honeymooned in Malta with a trip to Sicilly in the Med Sea. Two weeks of relaxing - bliss!!!!

I love looking at the wedding pics people post here and the differences in traditions.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:22 PM   #39
The Moonk's Mom
DIS Veteran

Your wedding photos are so pretty...thanks for sharing.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:04 PM   #40
lmillercrew
DIS Veteran

Wow! Cool kilts!! What a great tradition.

Me DH, DD15 Family 1982, 1989 HS choir trip, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2014
Old 01-25-2009, 08:26 PM   #41
disneydusted
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all of the details on weddings over there! It is still so amazing that we are on opposite sides of the Atlantic and can talk so easily and quickly! DH just came by and wanted to know who I was writing to and he was amazed that you are in Scotland!
I had a bit of time so I read your TR from last summer. You guys had such a wonderful trip! So nice that your parents could be there too. Your girls are just darling!
I cringed when I saw the Cottonmouth, they are nasty! My parents live on a lake in North Carolina and there are some there. Sometimes when we are swimming they might show up in the water! They pretty much stay away but they freak us all out! My dad can be such a redneck, he gets the shotgun and shots them! Not quite something we can do here where we live!!
Old 01-26-2009, 12:26 PM   #42
Villainess
Fantasy and reality often overlap - Walt Disney

Such beautiful pictures! I spent some time in Edinburough and Glasgow in high school. Hopefully, I will get to bring the kids there someday!

Old 01-29-2009, 02:55 PM   #43
ScotsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wow! Cool kilts!! What a great tradition.
I'm a sucker for a man in a kilt!!!! Lovely!

Quote:
Thanks for all of the details on weddings over there! It is still so amazing that we are on opposite sides of the Atlantic and can talk so easily and quickly! DH just came by and wanted to know who I was writing to and he was amazed that you are in Scotland!
I had a bit of time so I read your TR from last summer. You guys had such a wonderful trip! So nice that your parents could be there too. Your girls are just darling!
I cringed when I saw the Cottonmouth, they are nasty! My parents live on a lake in North Carolina and there are some there. Sometimes when we are swimming they might show up in the water! They pretty much stay away but they freak us all out! My dad can be such a redneck, he gets the shotgun and shots them! Not quite something we can do here where we live!!
The snake was horrible you are right, My Mum still has nightmares about it being so close to biting DD7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess View Post
Such beautiful pictures! I spent some time in Edinburough and Glasgow in high school. Hopefully, I will get to bring the kids there someday!
I hope one day you get the chance. They would love it!
Old 01-29-2009, 03:14 PM   #44
ScotsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Ok back to our plans!!!!!!

We have decisions to make now and I can't get my head round it at all. As a surprise we have decided to take my Mum and the girls to the California Grill for dinner. We had such a fabulous time there last visit and the food was amazing. Watching Wishes was beautiful and I know my mum would LOVE it! When we were there we did see plenty of kids there and thery do have a nice kids menu with things that my 2 would happily eat so thinking this one is a real possibility. We would like to book reasonably early so we can watch wishes then go home as don't want to be too late for the little one. Any hints on what time to book for? I know if you finish early you can have a seat in the lounge area and wait for them to start. Ideally we would love to sit by the window overlooking Seven Seas Lagoon but I know this is a long shot. Do you think it is worth asking? We would keep this one a total secret from Mum and the girls and just ask them to dress up special. can i keep a scret like that though??? The other things is with the contemporary tower so big now - do you still get a good view of the fireworks and the Castle from that walkway?

From all the reports on here we were also thinking of trying the Wispering Canyon Cafe - most people seem to love it and we have never been. We have however been to the Hoop-de-Doo Review about 10 years ago and loved it. So which one????? I think my girls would quite enjoy the Hoop-de-Doo but I would love to hear about anyone else's experience of it with small children.

I guess the good thing about staying on site and doing the DDP is that you don't really have to choose - you can do it all! We might think about that another trip. I would like to stay onsite at some point. As I mentioned in my last trip report we did consider the DVC. Its just that the cost is extortionate when you have to add the equivalent of $3000 just to fly there. I do envy all the chat of a $300 air fare and Melissa who just jumps in the car!!!!! I would love to stay in the Floridian one day and also the Contemporary with a Magic Kingdom view would be on my wish list!

So as holiday gets nearer my mind is of course turning to the same thing as all womens minds do - shopping! So many decisions to make!!!!!!!!!

I have already picked out so many cute things for the girls to wear - they are easy! DD7 has a thing for turquoise at the moment so wants lots of turquoise clothes. My luck is that she will be into purple by that time!!!!! I usually buy them sandals and trainers (sneakers!!!!) to go and last time I bought them disney crocs in the park which i may get again.

So its just me thats the problem!!!! I never know what to wear at all. i also usually take trainers for comfort and sandals or flip flops of some kind too. I have seen some Nike ones I like but they are cerise pink and not sure they might be a little bright!!! But they look so comfy! I feel some shopping coming on as soon as the shops here get rid of the jumpers and start stocking some nice summer clothes!

erm maybe I should get started on my fitness thing first though. i have been bad!!! I am not doing what I said I was going to and I really should. DH been away which means I can't go at night as i can't leave the girls on their own obviously and work is a bit mad. Excuses excuses!!! I WILL start!

On an exciting note I now have an interview date for teacher training. It is on the 10th Feb so starting to get nervous. Swotting on the curriculum and preparing answers. Really looking for a real sprinkle of pixie dust on this one!!!!

Old 01-29-2009, 03:29 PM   #45
lmillercrew
DIS Veteran

I've never eaten at the California Grill or Whispering Canyon, but I've heard great things about WC. Shopping sounds like fun!! Our stores already have summer/spring stuff. The store I work in already has swimsuits!! Yuck!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: