Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2009, 09:34 AM   #16
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

Hi Laura. Saw you had posted on my TR. Haven't heard from you in awhile. Hope you had a nice Christmas and New Year!

I hope everything goes well with the changing of the jobs. I learned the hard way, do not stay in a job you hate if possible. My last one got so bad, I still have nightmares about it. I'm not kidding, had one just this last week and I left at the first of July.

I haven't posted on my TR yet, but we will be at WDW just a little after you leave. Booked July 17th through the 21st. Of course, being I am so close now, I may make a trip over and see if I bump into you, if that is ok?

I'm another trying to lose weight. I was doing so good walking every morning, but the holidays destroyed that and then I have been sick and know better than to start working out yet. Plus, it is actually chilly here now and I know I will just get sick again.

Oh, one type of exercise I do at home is dance. I love to dance, nothing fancy or anything, but you really do use muscles you don't use everyday. I will go in the bedroom, shut door, put the music on and just have fun. The DH laughs at me, but it works. Are they selling the dance workout videos there? I say, who needs to spend money on a video, just do your own thing.

Oh, would you be willing to post some photos of your area? Another family from Edinburgh did, Dr_Finkelstien (Di and Grumpy) and I just loved them. I am sure others would also.
Melissa
POR July 2006;POR June 13-21 2008;ASM Sept 26-28 2008;RPR July 14-16, 2009;POR July 16-21 2009;CBR Sept 4-7, 2009, POFQ Thanksgiving 2009, AKKV June 5-6, 2010, POFQ July 2010, AS Sports Sept 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, BLT Feb 2011, POP Apr 2011, SoG May 2011, POR July 2011, POR and POP Aug 2012, CSR Oct 2012, POR Sept 2013, GF Sept 2014

My DH wants another trip to WDW?!?! MNSSHP, F&W, and Diagon Alley A PTR for Sept 2014

Minions take over the MK and cause havoc at Gringott's
Old 01-17-2009, 12:58 PM   #17
2ScottishPrincesses
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsMinnie;29673152

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"
Thanks for the good luck vibes! We shall see how things go!

We are also debating changing our money as I am worried the exchange rate gets worse. Last year we got $2 to the £ and right now they are offering $1.42 to the £. Makes things a lot more expensive when you are there. The web forcast looks like it might increase slightly but not sure how much you can bank on that.

Where are you in Scotland?
[/FONT]
Loved the poem Laura and it definately struck more than one chord with me . Paul McKenna promised last week me on tv that he could make me thin and I have chosen to believe him ...we'll see how that works out

We've decided to hold off and see how the rate goes over the next month or so....we will of course combine this with alot of prayer

I live just outside of Glasgow
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2009, 01:13 PM   #18
ScotsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ScottishPrincesses View Post
Loved the poem Laura and it definately struck more than one chord with me . Paul McKenna promised last week me on tv that he could make me thin and I have chosen to believe him ...we'll see how that works out

We've decided to hold off and see how the rate goes over the next month or so....we will of course combine this with alot of prayer

I live just outside of Glasgow
We were in Stirling today and checked some of the travel agents for rates. Seems to be around 1.42 or 1.43. Not fantastic. Think it is just that last year we got 2 to the pound so were spoiled. Don't think we are going to leave it much longer.

We are in Falkirk so not far from you.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:15 PM   #19
ScotsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmskinner View Post
Hi Laura. Saw you had posted on my TR. Haven't heard from you in awhile. Hope you had a nice Christmas and New Year!

I hope everything goes well with the changing of the jobs. I learned the hard way, do not stay in a job you hate if possible. My last one got so bad, I still have nightmares about it. I'm not kidding, had one just this last week and I left at the first of July.

I haven't posted on my TR yet, but we will be at WDW just a little after you leave. Booked July 17th through the 21st. Of course, being I am so close now, I may make a trip over and see if I bump into you, if that is ok?

I'm another trying to lose weight. I was doing so good walking every morning, but the holidays destroyed that and then I have been sick and know better than to start working out yet. Plus, it is actually chilly here now and I know I will just get sick again.

Oh, one type of exercise I do at home is dance. I love to dance, nothing fancy or anything, but you really do use muscles you don't use everyday. I will go in the bedroom, shut door, put the music on and just have fun. The DH laughs at me, but it works. Are they selling the dance workout videos there? I say, who needs to spend money on a video, just do your own thing.

Oh, would you be willing to post some photos of your area? Another family from Edinburgh did, Dr_Finkelstien (Di and Grumpy) and I just loved them. I am sure others would also.
Melissa
Hi! Nice to hear from you! Would love it if we bumped into each other whilst we are over there. We can make a plan!

I will try to load some pics of where we are. Nothing very exciting here I am afraid but we have been out and about over Christmas so I will have a look and add a few of places near here. May be a bit boring though!!!!!
Old 01-17-2009, 01:25 PM   #20
2ScottishPrincesses
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsMinnie View Post
We were in Stirling today and checked some of the travel agents for rates. Seems to be around 1.42 or 1.43. Not fantastic. Think it is just that last year we got 2 to the pound so were spoiled. Don't think we are going to leave it much longer.

We are in Falkirk so not far from you.
That rate is pretty naff isn't it . We last went in June'07 and were getting around 1.95, just need to keep our fingers crossed eh?

Falkirk's not too far from Glasgow, I went to see a fortune teller in Falkirk years ago and it didn't take us too long to get there at all. I have also just revealed myself to be a complete nutter haven't I
Old 01-17-2009, 02:38 PM   #21
ScotsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ScottishPrincesses View Post
That rate is pretty naff isn't it . We last went in June'07 and were getting around 1.95, just need to keep our fingers crossed eh?

Falkirk's not too far from Glasgow, I went to see a fortune teller in Falkirk years ago and it didn't take us too long to get there at all. I have also just revealed myself to be a complete nutter haven't I
I wouldn't worry! I was in Debenhams lift today and when some people got out leaving just me DH, DD7 and DD2 and the doors closed I started to do a little dance to make them laugh. Sadly for me there was a security camera pointing right at me! Some security guards probably laughed at me all day!!!

Sometimes I do wonder about my sanity!!
Old 01-18-2009, 01:23 PM   #22
2ScottishPrincesses
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsMinnie View Post
I wouldn't worry! I was in Debenhams lift today and when some people got out leaving just me DH, DD7 and DD2 and the doors closed I started to do a little dance to make them laugh. Sadly for me there was a security camera pointing right at me! Some security guards probably laughed at me all day!!!

Sometimes I do wonder about my sanity!!
As Anne Shirley (Anne of Greengables) would say "you are a kindred spirit"
Old 01-23-2009, 05:19 PM   #23
ScotsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Melissa
OK, I have tracked down some pics of some ares near us we have been recently. For those who live near me you can ignore this if they are boring!!!!!!! You have probably been a thousand times yourself!!!

Anyway my town is nothing spectacular to say the least. We are about equidistant from Glasgow and Edinburgh - about 30 mins drive to both (25 on the train) so quite central. You have to remember that compared to the US Scotland is a wee country and it doesn't take very long to get anywhere. Last year in my job i covered the whole width of the country from the islands in the west to St Andrews in the East. The great thing is though that there is a such a diversity of scenery in that small space. Until recently we have not really made the effort to go exploring where we live except when we had visitors who wanted a wee tour! If the weather has been OK we are trying to see a bit more.

I will start with my favourite place - St Andrews - which is an hour from us. I have great affection for this place as its where we used to go on holiday when i was little. My Mum and Dad met while at University there and so it was special to them too. From quite a young age I wanted to go tot University there too and I managed to get a place to study Biology. I had the best 4 years you could imagine. It was not an easy place to live mind you. It is a very cold cold place! the flat we lived in had windows which did not fit properly so you could poke your little finger out into the outside world so you can imagine the drafts! It also had no heating except little electric heaters dotted about. We used to plug up the gaps in the window frames with tissue and exist permanently under quilts! For a few months though - nearing summer the weather would be lovely and it was fantastic. To be honest none of that really bothers you at that age does it? I met fantastic friends whom I treasure and had the best time. My brother strangely enough also decided to go there so all 4 of us graduated from St As. Quite unusual. The best bit about St Andrews was that I met my DH! He was a friend of a friend and I am so lucky to have met him. When we return now it has really nice memories for us. Its a beautiful town which is obviously famous for the golf but it is worth a visit for the town and the beautiful beach. No better way to blow away the cobwebs than a stroll down the beach at West Sands! Don't forget your wellies, fleece and hat though!!!!

Here is a view of the town from the beach.

My brood making their castles.

Another trip - this time just DH and DD7 due to the climb being too much for the little one. DH is from a small village at the bottom of the Ochil Hills which is about 20 mins drive from us. It sits at the bottom of the hilss and he used to climb them as a boy. He has taken DD7 up several times and it really is beautiful up there. Here are a few to give you an idea.

This is Castle Campbell.

So peaceful and a great view out over the surrounding towns.

Edinburgh at Christmas - so beautiful at that time of year. We went to the outdoor skating rink and had a lot of fun. DD7 loves to skate and she has been a few times. Sadly she thinks she is a world champion figure skater now and during a particularly energetic arabesque she did fall on her bottom! Thankfully her trousers did not get too wet!!

The skating rink and Christmas Market.

DD7, Me and Granny.

View up towards Edinburgh Castle - photo does not do it justice. The twinkling lights were really lovely up there.

My favourite day out over the Christmas holidays was to a place about 40 mins from us called the Queen Elizabeth Forest which is near to a place called Aberfoyle. We had not been before and chose a short-ish walk to do. sadly for us it happened to be up one side of a big hill and down the other. DD7 managed to get up the hill but it was a bit far for DD2 who we had to carry about half of the way as it was not suitable for a stroller. Heavy work!!

It was a very cold day but it was breathtaking up there. When we got to the top there was a viewpoint and at the viewpoint was a cairn. In case you have not seen one a cairn is a pile of stones usually at the top of a hill. It is tradition to add a stone to the cairn so it builds up over time.

Here is DD7 adding her stone to the cairn.

Admiring the view....

Last one before I bore everyone to death is a very special place for me. It is Airth Castle about 3 miles from us. Some back story here...

My Mum grew up in a cottage at the bottom of the lane which led up to Airth Castle. In those days it was not used for anything in particular. The castle itself dates back to the 14th century and the ruined church beside it even earlier. There is a real sense of history with it as it played a real part in the history of Scotland once belonging to the family of Robert the Bruce. It had an old stable block which was derelict and my Mum used to play there as a child. When i was little I have vivid memories of my Grandad taking me and my brother up there to the old walled garden to play and walk the dog. We used to stop at the burn on the way and the way back and play pooh-sticks.

Anyway, the castle was bought over and it has been restored and turned into a hotel. The old stable block was rebuilt into rooms and also a function suite and restaurant.

So one night DH (or should I say Dbof) and I were at Airth Castle for a meal to celebrate our anniversary of getting together. Must have been our 4 year landmark. Anyway he proposed there and it was perfect.

When it came time to choose a venue it was obvious where we both wanted it to be. We got married in the old Castle and had our reception in the function suite. I loved every minute of it and I still love to see the castle on the hill as i drive by. Good memories.

Now I don't even have a decent picture of it - just this one from our wedding day following the piper down from the castle to the reception but you get the idea....

So there is a wee tour for you. Hope you enjoyed it and didn't get too bored!!!!!!!!

Next time back to business!!!!!!

i have started the list making process so need to share those. Any additions or suggestions for additional lists is welcomed. you can never have too many lists!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-23-2009, 05:31 PM   #24
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Oh wow! Thank you so much for sharing all of those gorgeous pictures and special stories. One day I will get to Scotland.

**NEW TR** S.O.C.K. and Stitch Return to the World with a Dog
Old 01-23-2009, 05:37 PM   #25
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

Thank you for the photos and the history. Ok, I am soooo jealous of your wedding photo. That is just amazing and so cool that your DH proposed there. Wish my DH was home right now because he would love to see these photos. I'll be sure to show him when he gets back. We have always wanted to go to Scotland. DH has traced his ancestory back to the MacGregor Clan and he has all kinds of books on Scotland and its history.

And see, I wouldn't know about the tradition of the cairn if you hadn't told us here. Hopefully we will get to go one day.

Again thank you for the pics.
Melissa
POR July 2006;POR June 13-21 2008;ASM Sept 26-28 2008;RPR July 14-16, 2009;POR July 16-21 2009;CBR Sept 4-7, 2009, POFQ Thanksgiving 2009, AKKV June 5-6, 2010, POFQ July 2010, AS Sports Sept 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, BLT Feb 2011, POP Apr 2011, SoG May 2011, POR July 2011, POR and POP Aug 2012, CSR Oct 2012, POR Sept 2013, GF Sept 2014

My DH wants another trip to WDW?!?! MNSSHP, F&W, and Diagon Alley A PTR for Sept 2014

Old 01-23-2009, 05:45 PM   #26
ScotsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Glad you liked them! Thought they might be a bit boring! You should try to get to Scotland one day. You would love it!
Old 01-23-2009, 06:47 PM   #27
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

Ok, showed the DH, and when I said you thought your pics might be boring his response was, "You live in a country full of castles!!!"

Also, was Rob Roy filled there at Castle Campbell, DH thought it looked really familiar to him.

Again, thanks for the pics, your area is so beautiful!

Old 01-23-2009, 06:55 PM   #28
ScotsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ok, showed the DH, and when I said you thought your pics might be boring his response was, "You live in a country full of castles!!!"

Also, was Rob Roy filled there at Castle Campbell, DH thought it looked really familiar to him.

Again, thanks for the pics, your area is so beautiful!
Aww thanks! Guess you don't always appreciate what is on your doorstep!

I may be wrong but I think Rob Roy was actually mainly filmed in Ireland! Go figure!! It was cheaper to film there apparently!
Old 01-24-2009, 07:47 AM   #29
The Moonk's Mom
DIS Veteran

The pictures are great! Not boring at all.

DH is also trying to plan a trip for us to Europe in a few years and he has asked for my input...I said make it so I don't have to cross the water or get on a plane! I have NEVER flown before....and there is that whole crossing water thing...But your pics inspire me....
Old 01-24-2009, 08:03 AM   #30
lmillercrew
DIS Veteran

subbing! I can't read right now, but I scrolled past some of your beautiful pics and can't wait to read!!

Me DH, DD15 Family 1982, 1989 HS choir trip, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2014

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: