Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2009, 03:36 PM   #106
NDM#1
I am the original NDM.

License To Thrill

LICENSE TO THRILL

There is one final exhibit in Tomorrowland®, and I am certain it will be a tremendous hit with the children—the Tomorrowland® Indy Speedway. We divide into boys and girls for the race with DD8 driving the girls and DS6 driving the boys.

In the girl’s car DD8 does an adequate job on the track. Her driving skills are quite good, and I find myself impressed. Girl time has never been better as all three of us feel the rushing wind blow our hair, and we are filled with contentment throughout our bumpy ride over the asphalt.

When we pull into the pit for our exit, the pit crew asks if we would like to take another lap around the track so that DD3 can have a go at the steering wheel. I hesitate a bit simply because the thought had never occurred to me. But after a brief second, I reason that DD3 should certainly be given the opportunity if it is permitted. So as the boys exit their vehicle, we whiz past them with DD3 in the driver’s seat, leaving them very confused.

DD3 is laughing hysterically. She cannot suppress her giddiness over being entrusted with such a grown-up responsibility. DD8 and I can’t help but laugh with her because it is great fun to see her having such a good time. But then our cruise takes on an unexpected twist. In all of her hearty cackling, DD3 lets go of the wheel to cover her mouth which is wide open and expelling vast amounts of giggles. The car veers out of control and slams up against the strip of metal between our tires that is intended to keep us on our track. The jolt is a huge shock, and DD3 narrowly averts disaster as we are all jarred and shoved in her direction. A shared belt is loosely fastened across our laps, but we experience a brief sensation of being thrown.

My NDM reflexes are automatically engaged. I immediately grab both daughters. All three of us look at each other, feeling that the outcome of that could have been ugly. However, rather than shaking some sense into us, the incident only causes us to erupt into manic squeals of delight. DD3 continues to cover her mouth because her laughter is uncontrollable at this point. The vehicle repels off of the metal strip and veers in the opposite direction, slamming us once again up against the safety strip and delivering another powerful jolt.

At this point we become the most reckless car on the Tomorrowland® Indy Speedway. Due to being unmanned, our vehicle continues to slam against the piece of metal that keeps us on course in a zig-zag fashion. My hands are occupied as I hold on tenaciously to my speedsters. And everytime DD3 attempts to grab the wheel, we are jolted by another impact, causing the steering wheel to spin out of her hands again. I am certain that we will all have severe whiplash by the end of our journey, but we are laughing so hard it doesn’t occur to me I can prevent our injury by releasing the gas peddle.

At some point, I remember that I actually control the motion of the racecar. I take my foot off the gas peddle, allowing us to tighten our belt, regain control of the steering wheel and tame our wild laugh fest. Then we continue our thrilling race in a more controlled manner. In spite of the momentary stall, we finish our lap in record time and rejoin the boys who are patiently waiting near the exit.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:28 PM   #107
mejkjj97
DIS Veteran

I am finally caught up and loving you report. I glad you posted the link here from the "other place" where all the craziness was. I could not believe it.
But I am glad you are still writing. I really love it.

It's also nice to know that there are many others as crazed with planning disney trips and just disney in general. I am currently in the process of planning 3 friends vacations as well as my own. I am all my friends go to person for Disney.

I also have a DD who is 3 and is loves everything Disney. My DH and I were nervous that she was not going to love it as much as us but she is. She remembers our trip in August and can't wait to we take our first DVC trip to "Toga Springs" and she can see her friend Ale (a great CM in mexico who treated her like a princess and gave her all sorts of great things).

Thanks for your great trip report!
, Oct' 11 AKV/BW, May '11 AKV,'10 BLT, '09- SSR, '08- Dolphin, '07- Off site Sheraton Vista Villages, '06- Beach Club, '03- Disneyland Paradise Pier, '01- Hard Rock Hotel, '00- Port Orleans Riverside, 1996- Carribean Beach, 1989- off site, 1986- off site

ME (40) DH (41) : DD (8) DD (4)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2009, 07:18 PM   #108
Jmee
Mouseketeer

Really enjoying this! More please....

Me DH DD11 DS78
Old 01-16-2009, 05:35 PM   #109
NDM#1
I am the original NDM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejkjj97 View Post
I am finally caught up and loving you report. I glad you posted the link here from the "other place" where all the craziness was. I could not believe it.
But I am glad you are still writing. I really love it.

It's also nice to know that there are many others as crazed with planning disney trips and just disney in general. I am currently in the process of planning 3 friends vacations as well as my own. I am all my friends go to person for Disney.

I also have a DD who is 3 and is loves everything Disney. My DH and I were nervous that she was not going to love it as much as us but she is. She remembers our trip in August and can't wait to we take our first DVC trip to "Toga Springs" and she can see her friend Ale (a great CM in mexico who treated her like a princess and gave her all sorts of great things).

Thanks for your great trip report!
LOL. I love it! "Toga Springs"!

Kim, you are definitely NDM material. You should go to our new site:
http://thedisneydrivenlife.com/ to get on the "official" roster .

Thanks for following me over from the craziness! Yikes!
Old 01-16-2009, 05:36 PM   #110
NDM#1
I am the original NDM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmee View Post
Really enjoying this! More please....
Comin' atcha shortly!
Old 01-16-2009, 05:47 PM   #111
NDM#1
I am the original NDM.

FILM ANALYSIS AT ITS BEST

It is now time for a little mid-day meal. I tell DH that we must go to The Pinocchio Village Haus for our noon-time snack. He doesn’t understand this logic since it is quite a long walk to get there, and we are currently standing near the perfectly adequate Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Café. I am a little tempted to give in to his simpler plan. I have only one very vague memory of eating in Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Café, and it might be fun to refresh it. However, I hold firm.

The Pinocchio Village Haus has one wall that is glass, and through this window you are able to view “it’s a small world”. As a child, this single factor gave Pinocchio’s fast-food eatery equal status to a five-star restaurant. There was nothing cooler than being able to eat your individual pizza while watching all the happy people board their boat and float off into the cheerful home of singing dolls. I feel strongly that my own children must have the opportunity to form the same bond with this food facility.

Not being a big fan of “it’s a small world, DH states that he still doesn’t understand the grave importance of being at Pinocchio’s place even after my eloquent argument on its behalf. But, he concedes that if it is so important to me, he will make the extra steps to reach this destination.

We arrive at The Pinocchio Village Haus and find one last table next to the window. I seize it as if my life depended on it. DH gets in line to order our food while I begin to divide up the things we have brought for our little folk.

The kids are fascinated by the view of “it’s a small world” as I knew they would be. But within minutes the focus changes. They begin an in-depth discussion on the huge murals of the restaurant’s walls, depicting scenes from Pinocchio’s movie. DS6 raises questions about the donkey ears and tail that Pinocchio has in one of the paintings, so DD8 elegantly explains the importance of obedience and living a moral lifestyle. Her monologue chronicles Pinocchio’s journey and relays that since Pinocchio failed to be obedient and make good choices in the beginning of his tale, he fell prey to the perils of Pleasure Island and incurred harsh consequences. “All this led to poor Pinocchio growing donkey ears and a tail”, she remarks. She states that she doesn’t quite understand how it caused this, but she is certain that it was a result of his bad behavior. Her detailed exposition of moral standards and the consequences of failing to meet them is inspiring. I find myself completely drawn into this intellectual analysis of the movie’s plot as does DS6, whose eyes are wide with bewilderment. His face gives the impression that he is understanding the events that unravel in Pinocchio’s film for the first time, and the revelation is nothing short of alarming. He remarks that he is going to watch the movie again now that he can follow the logic of it.

DH arrives with a bit of food for the older folk. The kids are nearly done with their morsels, so we do our best to quickly scarf down what we have. As we are wiping our mouths and patting our bellies, I convince DH that he should accompany us on “it’s a small world. He missed our first ride as well as the complete joy that DD3 showed during that cruise. He agrees to this arrangement so that DD3 can once again engage her multi-cultural pals in a sing-a-long as she longed to do the other day.

The attraction does not fail to impress. As before, our troop delights in their ethnic surroundings. This time not only do they proudly sing the cultural anthem but they also find it amusing to call out the names of the countries that they recognize being represented. It is a moment that any home-schooling mother would delight in, and I am no exception. I look at DH who is grinning from ear to ear as he observes our sweet darlings. I nudge him gently with my elbow and whisper, “I told you so.”

This time when the ride ends, DD3 is cooperative in making her exit. She has learned so much in just a few days, and I am proud of how well she has adjusted to following The Sacred Seven. She has finally earned the privilege that all mouseketeers hope to have one day . . . a chance to meet the Big Cheese, himself.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:15 PM   #112
NDM#1
I am the original NDM.

Storming The Barnstormer

STORMING THE BARNSTORMER
It is now time to jaunt over to the last, untouched land of the Magic Kingdom®—Mickey’s Toontown® Fair. As usual, the sun is blaring, and we are sweating buckets in the sauna of Central Florida. DD3 has a subtle, sour expression on her face due to her discomfort, and she reverts to sucking her thumb as a self-soothing activity.

Under these circumstances, it seems logical to get in line for The Barnstormer at Goofy’s Wiseacre Farm. This kiddie rollercoaster moves quickly through the air, providing lots of refreshing wind for hot, sticky bodies. Plus, I suspect that DD3 will cheer up at the thought of getting to ride a “big kid” attraction. But my suspicion is wrong.

DD3 is a personality that can be stubborn at the most inopportune times. Once she has decided that she is not pleased with something, she cannot be coaxed out of her funk. The sole cure for her misery is her own decision to “get over it.” Any attempt by others to subvert her foul mood usually plunges her further into it.

So as we stand in line for a wild spin on Goofy’s aeronautical adventure, DD3 gradually recedes into depression. She doesn’t want to be touched. She doesn’t want to be looked at. She doesn’t want a drink. She doesn’t want a snack. She doesn’t want to ride with Mommy. She doesn’t want to ride with Daddy. In fact, she doesn’t want to ride at all, and she is nearly in tears.

Being familiar with this mind-set of my melancholy midget, I know that allowing her to skip the ride is not going to solve our dilemma. Experience has taught me that as soon as we get out of line, she will regress from “nearly in tears” to “absolutely bawling” because she doesn’t want to be left out either. So we maintain our delicate daughter’s emotional status primarily by ignoring her crankiness as we inch closer to the plane.

We enter a barn in the queque line that has lots of animated, squawking chickens whom are ruffling their feathers. DD8 and DS6 are entertained by this and cheerfully talk amongst themselves about the silly poultry. I sneak a glance at DD3, who looks intrigued but is unwilling to fully release her bitter attitude. She is still sucking her thumb, but her expression has changed a bit. Rather than being truly sour, she now looks as if she is pretending to be sour. This is progress, I say to myself.

At that moment, Goofy’s plane bursts through the barn and buzzes over our heads as it flies on a track just a few feet from where we stand. DD8, DS6, DH and I all laugh at the shocking event, and I sneak another glance at DD3. The thumb is still in her mouth, but she has begun to laugh and smile. Wonderful! She is going to be alright by the time we make it to the front of the line which means I will not have to look like a Disney villain who forces unwilling children onto rides that mortify them.

DD8 and DS6 are fortunate enough to get the very first cart of the coaster. DH, sits directly behind them, and DD3 and I board the following cart. DD3 has completely forgotten her recent disinterest in Goofy’s disastrous flight, and her eyes sparkle as she giggles, “This is going to be fun.” I can’t help but giggle too because I know that she is right.

We take off in flight, and—just as expected—the whole family explodes into happy screams, yells, shouts and big laughs. Looking at DD3, she is every bit as jubilant as she was on the Tomorrowland® Indy Speedway. And I, once again, am so grateful that I get to witness these little milestones in her life.

When the plane lands, all three children begin chanting, “Let’s go again! Let’s go again!” Technically, we have not yet experienced every exhibit in the Magic Kingdom®, so repeating this attraction would break the fourth tenet of The Sacred Seven. However, due to the extra time that our second day has afforded us as well as our expert efficiency this morning in Tommorowland®, there is no logical reason to deny my little pilots another barnstorming trip. So we ride it again, and then we ride it another time. I rationalize that sometimes it’s OK to bend the rules a little bit.

After our third time, the children still plead for another go around the track, but DH and I see the need to end our barnstorming run. We still have not met Mickey, and we are well aware that the line for this special event can be extensive. DD3 is not pleased with our decision to leave Goofy’s barn, so she quickly reverts back to her thumb-sucking, cranky demeanor. More determined than ever to remain disagreeable, DD3 cannot be reasoned with. We tell her we are on our way to go see Mickey Mouse and that this is the climax of every Walt Disney World® trip. But it is all in vain, her disheartened soul will not be moved. She has hardened herself to all future chances at happiness. Even the prospect of meeting one of history’s greatest figures is devoid of meaning now.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:11 PM   #113
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

Yeah for IASW and Pinocchio Village Haus. We took my nearly 3yo there for lunch and she had a wonderful time waving to everyone. It was magical for her!

Goofy's barnstormer is a blast! So glad your 3yo got out of her funk and loved it...and that you broke the rules to ride 2 more times!

(Isn't one of the tenets that it is ok to break the tenets from time to time?!)

Can't wait to hear about the mouse!

- NDM#39
Old 01-20-2009, 08:19 PM   #114
NDM#1
I am the original NDM.

Say Cheese

SAY CHEESE!

We stroll down a path through Mickey’s Country House, past his garden and out to the Judge’s Tent where many harvested, plastic vegetables have been entered for a chance to win a blue ribbon in the Toontown® County Fair. It is past this tent where Mickey greets all of his visitors, so we are anxious to finish this phase of the line as well. However, we are not as fortunate as we have been in the past. The line winds all throughout the tent, and we have a decent wait ahead of us. This event is non-negotiable, though, for the sixth tenet of The Sacred Seven is clear: Thou shalt be photographed with Mickey Mouse when in Walt Disney World®. So there is nothing to be done except put in our time waiting.

More than an hour goes by as we weave back and forth, inch by inch, until we ultimately make it to the door that hides Mickey. Finally, we become the group that is next to be ushered into his presence. I look at my sweet mouseketeers to judge whether they are ready for this memorable occasion, but they are not. They have been through so much to get to this point, and it shows. Both DD8 and DS6 cannot stand up because they are so tired. And it is surprising that DD3’s thumb is still attached to her hand because the force of her sucking action at this point is ferocious. DH looks as if he might appreciate a few drops of cyanide so that he can be put out of his misery. So I am the sole individual of our group who still exhibits any amount of enthusiasm for the great rodent we will soon behold.

I try to instill some motivation in my exhausted crew by stating the obvious, “It is almost our turn to meet Mickey and his cute sweetheart, Minnie.” DD8 and DS6 find some inspiration from my reminder. They muster enough strength to stand once again and paint weak smiles on their faces. DH is not inspired. He is still looking for a source of cyanide amongst Mickey’s prize-winning produce. But for DD3, my happy remark is the straw that breaks the camel’s back. She begins to grunt as she sucks her thumb and shows behavior indicating that she may refuse to enter Mickey’s room. What am I to do? This is her one chance on our trip to embrace His Squeakiness, and she is going to pass it up. Or even worse, she may possibly ruin the opportunity for everyone else as well.

The door opens, and we are cheerfully invited to join Mickey and Minnie for some pictures and playful cuddling. DD3 shows that she has no intention of proceeding forward as she becomes statuesque except for the steady slurping on her thumb. I can see there is no point in trying to reason with her, so I simply pick her up and plant her on my hip. I resign myself to the apparent reality that DD3 will miss her chance to interact with Mickey and have a photo with him for her scrapbook, but I hope that DD8 and DS6 will be able to enjoy his company without a grand disturbance from our irritable dwarf.

DH obediently films every movement as DD8 and DS6 embrace and play with Mickey and Minnie. The two friendly rodents beckon me to bring DD3 to them, but I resist, knowing that their attentions could throw DD3 into a wild fit. They are not convinced that DD3 is beyond their whimsical reach, and so they insist on her introduction. The photographer stationed in the room suggests that I continue to hold DD3 and walk over to the mice with her in my arms. This way she may not feel so apprehensive. I give in to everyone’s request and join my other two children between our beloved, costumed friends. DD3 buries her face in my shoulder. Apparently even setting eyes on such happy creatures threatens her mournful existence. She cannot risk being cheered-up again.

Minnie sympathizes with DD3’s wretched condition. She begins to rub my preschooler’s back in an attempt to communicate her condolences. DD3 flinches in response. I sigh with disappointment. It really has come to this. The pinnacle for our entire vacation rests here—in this moment—and I am doomed to have a picture of a sour-puss kid who looks as if she has lived a tortured existence.
I tell the photographer to just go ahead and snap her pictures. I have lost all hope that DD3 will respond positively to my beloved Mickey, so there is not much point in waiting.

But then something magical happens. Minnie, who has not given up on DD3, leans in and plants a tiny mouse kiss on DD3’s cheek. I brace myself for a terrible upset, but instead I hear a small giggle from DD3. I grasp this thread of hope and ask DD3, “Is Minnie kissing you?” “Yes,” DD3 says while suppressing giggles with her thumb in her mouth. This is all the encouragement Minnie needs, she leans in for more kisses, and she is rewarded with more giggles. Minnie then affectionately pokes DD3 a tiny bit and leans in for a big kiss. As I hear the steady, rhythmic puckering sound, DD3 gives way to loud, delightful squeals and big laughs.

The photographer is snapping pictures at a furious pace. She recognizes DD3’s unpredictable and moody nature, so she is taking full advantage of the big smiles while we have them. I, too, think I should make the most of this by introducing DD3 to Mickey while she is in a more jovial state. Success! Mickey has picked up on the cuddle and kiss game, and DD3 responds equally as well to him as she did to Minnie. It is obvious that DD3 is finally enjoying the brief minutes she has been given with our celebrity pals.

So the memories are made. The scrapbook is saved. Spirits are raised even if it is just for a few minutes. We exit the Judge’s Tent with a definite sense of exhaustion and satisfaction in the afterglow of our banter with Disney’s best. We accomplished what we came to do, and there is a definite sense of completion.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:30 PM   #115
PinkPrincessZ
Mouseketeer

Love this installment! You took me right back to my youngest son's first experience with the characters when he was just a wee lad (and, luckily, he did pose for those pics!). Precious!

Looking forward to more!
Old 01-20-2009, 10:48 PM   #116
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

Hearing that first Minnie-inspired giggle from DD3 was priceless!!
Old 01-21-2009, 07:15 AM   #117
champagne27
Mouseketeer

Can't wait for the next installment! I'm like an addict
Old 01-21-2009, 01:00 PM   #118
msreneau
Work like you don't need the money, dance like no one is watching and love like you've never been hurt!

I'm hooked!!! Great installment!
Old 01-21-2009, 01:58 PM   #119
whogirl'smom
Any leftover grumpiness can be taken care of by a little wine
Like a box of Cheez-its, I couldn't put it down

I love this report! I love that your MIL is my MIL's long lost yard-sale-shopping twin. And I love that your nephew's nickname is the same that we call our cat--Pooter! (How we got that out of Morris, I'll never know...)

Old 01-21-2009, 09:08 PM   #120
Lemap760
Earning My Ears

Just finished reading your trip report so far. This is putting a stitch in my side laughing so hard. Thanks for sharing your adventures and great writing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: