Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2009, 08:54 PM   #136
champagne27
Mouseketeer

Ahh - you brought a tear of joy to my eye (hear the music playing in the background?) with the continuation of your Disney addiction in your loved ones! You must have been so proud!

And the meeting with Snow White - what a great moment that you both will always cherish.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:39 PM   #137
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

I was all ready for your family to say, yes, let's rest! Guess I was wrong about that!

We definitely do rest breaks to nap or swim or shop outside the parks in the afternoons -- it's the only way to keep my DH going, and certainly helps my DD3, too, esp if we want to see the closing evening shows.

Love the fact that you stumbled onto Snow White -- so very cool!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2009, 06:43 AM   #138
joshua4
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the lofty title of NDM#80! As for your epiphany, I think you will evolve to taking that afternoon break. Each year we take our Disney pilgrimage and the last 7 trips or so we have done this. Sometimes we nap, sometimes we chill out by the pool, we just recharge. No one ever really feels like leaving the park at 2 or 3, but we have adopted a "leave before you are exhausted" mantra and we have never regretted those breaks. Of course, our tradition is that Tinkerbell watches over us at the park and if the kids are good all day -- Tink visits our room while we are at the park and leaves goodies for that night for the kids. The kids can't wait to get back to the room to find a pile of pixie dust, a miniature note (to be read with their special Tink magnifying glass) and treat on their bed. Crafty NDM's unite!

Can't wait to read the rest of your report --

Lauren
Old 01-23-2009, 09:22 AM   #139
NDM#1
I am the original NDM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne27 View Post
Ahh - you brought a tear of joy to my eye (hear the music playing in the background?) with the continuation of your Disney addiction in your loved ones! You must have been so proud!

And the meeting with Snow White - what a great moment that you both will always cherish.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:19 AM   #140
NDM#1
I am the original NDM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshay View Post
I was all ready for your family to say, yes, let's rest! Guess I was wrong about that!

We definitely do rest breaks to nap or swim or shop outside the parks in the afternoons -- it's the only way to keep my DH going, and certainly helps my DD3, too, esp if we want to see the closing evening shows.

Love the fact that you stumbled onto Snow White -- so very cool!

Apparently, we are HARD-CORE! My thought is that one day we will evolve, but I think we are still too new into DVC to cross over just yet.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:40 PM   #141
NDM#1
I am the original NDM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua4 View Post
Of course, our tradition is that Tinkerbell watches over us at the park and if the kids are good all day -- Tink visits our room while we are at the park and leaves goodies for that night for the kids. The kids can't wait to get back to the room to find a pile of pixie dust, a miniature note (to be read with their special Tink magnifying glass) and treat on their bed. Crafty NDM's unite!

Can't wait to read the rest of your report --

Lauren
Lauren, this is so fantastic! Seriously, that is a great special touch. I have to steal your tradition. Don't be surprised if it ends up as a part of my next trip report.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:15 AM   #142
NDM#1
I am the original NDM.

The Confessional

Hey everyone! I have a new feature up on the website called the confessional. THE CONFESSIONAL is now open for use of the NDP community. It is a place for those in our circle to purge their souls of the deepest, darkest secrets concerning the Neurotic Disney things that they have done in times of Disney desperation. There is no need to carry the burden of Disney neurosis on your own anymore. Share the crazy things you’ve done for a Disney “fix” in the confessional. You never know . . . some of us may decide to join in on your neurotic activities.

http://thedisneydrivenlife.com/the-confessional
Old 01-25-2009, 07:06 PM   #143
NDM#1
I am the original NDM.

So The Drama

“SO THE DRAMA”

With Snow White’s mention of dinner, I realize that it is time for us to rejoin our precious family and journey to Liberty Square for supper. We have reservations at the Liberty Tree Tavern.

DD8 and I meet the other half of our crew at the train station on Main Street, U.S.A.®. All is well except that DD3 has resumed her withdrawn state of irritation.

We arrive at the tavern a little early. The hostess tells us to have a seat in the waiting area until our table becomes available. I sit on a colonial bench, cuddling DD3 who is in desperate need of unconditional love right now. “We get to see Goofy, won’t that be fun,” I suggest gently. She shakes her head in disagreement. “Well, what about Minnie or Chip and Dale? They are here too, and they are going to visit our table when we eat. Do you want to see any of them,” I ask in a soothing voice. She sadly says, “No. I don’t want to see them.” But after some consideration she partially retracts her statement. “Well, I want to see Chip, the chinkmonk.” I agree that Chip is a pleasant “chinkmonk”, and I look forward to seeing him as well.

We are summoned to our table that is tucked back in the corner with a booth-type bench and a couple chairs. It isn’t long before the Disney characters, dressed in colonial garb come into view. “Oh boy,” I say, “I can see them coming.” DD8 and DS6 contort their bodies in order to catch a glimpse while remaining in their chairs. I can see the excitement beginning to build for them. DD3, however, displays no enthusiasm whatsoever. She remains in her booster seat that rests on the stuffed leather bench and has once again become statuesque while fervently sucking her thumb. “Here we go again,” I think.

The first one to visit our table is Minnie. I am hopeful that DD3 will change her attitude because she responded so well to Minnie earlier in the day. I am sure that DD3 remembers how loving Minnie was at that time, and it seems unlikely that DD3 would completely shun such a great friend.

Minnie is received warmly by DD8 and DS6. They envelope her in affectionate hugs and kisses. But Minnie lays eyes on DD3, who is firmly planted in her booster seat and sucking her thumb. She extends her arms to DD3, suggesting that she would like a hug, but DD3 fails to even acknowledge Minnie’s existence. Minnie is crushed by this overt rejection, and shamefully buries her perky face within her enormous, mouse hands. DD3 is still unmoved. I suggest that maybe Minnie could kiss DD3 on the cheek since this was so effective in lifting her spirits previously. Minnie nods to express her cooperation. She leans in close to DD3 for the gentle, friendly expression. But while DD3 may have been tricked out of her crankiness this way before, she is no fool to be tricked this way again.

As Minnie plants her plastic, black nose squarely on DD3’s cheek, DD3’s eyes roll into the back of her head. In a performance worthy of an Oscar nomination for “Best Actress in a Dramatic Role”, DD3 falls out of her booster seat and onto the bench like a grand tree falls to the ground as the lumberjack yells, “Timber!” She then tumbles off of the bench and lands with a great thud underneath our table.

Minnie is horrified to find that she has delivered the kiss of death to my unfortunate child and covers her blushing cheeks with her huge, white-gloved hands. I assure her that she is not responsible for any trauma DD3 has suffered, and release her to greet children who are more deserving of her cheerful presence.

Once DD3 is recovered from the table underworld, she is sternly seated next to me on the bench. I am determined that we will have no more dramatic performances throughout the rest of our meal.

Goofy is now making his way towards our table. “DD3,” I enthusiastically remark, “Goofy is coming next. Look at how silly he is. This will be the only time that we get to meet him. Don’t you think you want to hug him and let Mommy take your picture?” She huffs in annoyance at my suggestion. “No,” she says firmly, “I only want Chip.”

With her position firmly established, DD3 passes up her chance to be silly with the funniest Disney character. Goofy seems slightly disappointed by DD3’s stubborn rejection of him, but he quickly recovers as he moves to the next table.

Dale is not far behind Goofy. He is very animated and friendly. DD8 and DS6 happily receive him while DH films and I snap photos. DD3 is obstinate though. She will not even glance at Dale. He tries to approach her, but she growls a little bit as a warning to him. I inform Dale that he doesn’t need to bother with DD3 because she is anti-social at the moment. He wisely takes my counsel and backs away.

Finally Chip arrives. DD3 immediately snaps out of the doom and gloom that she has been plagued by since our arrival in the tavern. We are all stunned by the instantaneous transformation that Chip has brought upon our cranky girl, but the change is a welcome one. DD3 leaps out of the booth so that she can bury her face in Chip’s soft fur. He welcomes her with open arms and nuzzles the top of her head. Her smile is so grand; she looks as if she has just entered paradise.

After a few more high-fives and games of pat-a-cake, Chip gestures that DD3 should return to her meal that has now arrived. She obediently climbs back into her seat and announces to us, “That was great. Now I am ready to see the others.”
Old 01-25-2009, 11:04 PM   #144
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

wow, Chip was sure a big winner!! Glad DD3 got to see him!
Old 01-25-2009, 11:14 PM   #145
mla1977
I dream of living in Bay Lake Tower for the rest of my life!

Ok, so I am going to post this on the blog, but I thought everyone here might appreciate it. My Disney obsession has even led my to pick up running. Last June I signed up for the Princess Half Marathon with is coming up soon. I will probably be joining Team in Training for the full Marathon next year. I will probably also be doing either Race for the Taste or the ToT 13k in October. Yes, I have found new excuses to travel to WDW, I just need to keep entering more races.

A link to my not-so-frequently updated running blog is below.
4/87; 12/94; 8/00: DLP; 3/02; 5/06: DLR; 5/07: AS Sports/Dolphin TR; 2/08 SoCal/DLR TR; 6/08 CR/Pop PTR, 3/09 Princess Half; August AS Movies, 1/10: Marathon Weekend ; 3/10 Princess Half; 8/10 OKW; 10/10 offsite; 12/10 Poly; 1/11 BLT/CSR/AKV; 2/11 offsite
Old 01-26-2009, 08:12 AM   #146
NDM#1
I am the original NDM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mla1977 View Post
Ok, so I am going to post this on the blog, but I thought everyone here might appreciate it. My Disney obsession has even led my to pick up running. Last June I signed up for the Princess Half Marathon with is coming up soon. I will probably be joining Team in Training for the full Marathon next year. I will probably also be doing either Race for the Taste or the ToT 13k in October. Yes, I have found new excuses to travel to WDW, I just need to keep entering more races.

A link to my not-so-frequently updated running blog is below.

Megan, I think this is so funny. I can agree that Disney would be the ONLY reason that I would ever enter one of these races. Good luck with that, cutie! I'm cheering you on!
Old 01-26-2009, 11:38 AM   #147
joshua4
DIS Veteran

NDM #1

Glad to see that you are back to the trip report. So, feel free to steal the Tink trick, but for full effect you need to "summon" tink each day by the icon of the park you are in. Say for example, you are in the MK, you need to stand in front of the castle and say magic summoning words. All children, even the 12 year old with an attitude, must say the magic words clearly and loudly, or Tink will not hear you. Of course, you can go with whatever Tink words you think will work. For us it is:

Zippity Zappity Zee

Zippity Zappity Zoom

Tinkerbell, Tinkerbell, come to our room!

This also serves the purpose of having all of the kids gathered in front of the castle for a quick picture AND reminding them that Tink is watching all that they do. I know, we are an odd family. But hey, it works.

Also, as to your DS3, we have another way to deal with bouts of attitude. We all gather around the person in a circle and do the "crazy dance" -- it changes every time, but typically involves a bunch of jumps, spins and gyrations calculated to make the kid in the middle laugh. It also makes the kid with the attitude the center of attention for a couple of minutes. The silliness combined with the extra attention ends the bad mood 9 out of 10 times. Of course, sometimes we actually attract a crowd of people when we do this -- who think we are an attraction or something. Once a woman actually pushed her kid into the circle and we had to do the crazy dance around him (and it worked!). The mom was much appreciative.

In any event -- more trip report!!!

NDM 80
Old 01-26-2009, 12:27 PM   #148
NDM#1
I am the original NDM.

I will absolutely do the full Tinkerbell ceremony. I'm so excited about it, it makes my four months of waiting that much more unbearable.

Your bad attitude circle dance made me almost spit out the water I was drinking. That is hysterical! I'm definitely instituting this on our next trip. Don't be surprised if you find it in this year's trip report. I love it so much, I may even make us do it here at home.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:50 PM   #149
joshua4
DIS Veteran

Harder to do at home because we don't usually travel in a big enough group to do it. At disney, it is usually my sister and I and four kids so there are enough of us to make it work. Try it and let me know how it works out for you. You have to make a really big deal when you do it so that the cranky child really feels the full attention of everyone. Like "OH NO, EMERGENCY, EMERGENCY, DD3 is being taken over by the crankies. WE NEED TO HELP HER NOW!!!!" Then everyone makes the circle and one person calls out the dancy directions ("Everyone jump to the right, everyone jump to the left, tushies in, tushies out, etc, etc.). Once the kid in the middle starts to crack a smile, you know you are almost there. After a successful dance, everyone cheers and jumps around. (as onlookers stare at you with very puzzled looks)

You should have seen the look on my daughters face when I thought of doing this the first time at the MK. She was about 4 and we were standing in Adventureland. The other kids had no idea what I was doing, but they followed along. When it worked, a tradition was born. Now that the kids are a bit older, we usually only have to do it once a trip.

NDM 80
Old 01-26-2009, 02:47 PM   #150
NDM#1
I am the original NDM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua4 View Post
Harder to do at home because we don't usually travel in a big enough group to do it. At disney, it is usually my sister and I and four kids so there are enough of us to make it work. Try it and let me know how it works out for you. You have to make a really big deal when you do it so that the cranky child really feels the full attention of everyone. Like "OH NO, EMERGENCY, EMERGENCY, DD3 is being taken over by the crankies. WE NEED TO HELP HER NOW!!!!" Then everyone makes the circle and one person calls out the dancy directions ("Everyone jump to the right, everyone jump to the left, tushies in, tushies out, etc, etc.). Once the kid in the middle starts to crack a smile, you know you are almost there. After a successful dance, everyone cheers and jumps around. (as onlookers stare at you with very puzzled looks)

You should have seen the look on my daughters face when I thought of doing this the first time at the MK. She was about 4 and we were standing in Adventureland. The other kids had no idea what I was doing, but they followed along. When it worked, a tradition was born. Now that the kids are a bit older, we usually only have to do it once a trip.

NDM 80
I just can't help but laugh everytime I picture this. What an inspirational idea! I think this needs to be included somehow in the diciplines of a Disney Driven Life.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: