Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2009, 05:55 PM   #1
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side
very impulsive, which doesn’t bode well for our credit cards!
They don't call me "Clever Claire" for nothing!

Thumbs up Getting ill with the Maguire's!!! Trip report, Day 7…….Security, Police & Busch gdns.

Cast:

Me = Claire (33), massive Disney fan, chief planner…(a little on the OCD side ) obsessive shopper, addicted to scrapbooking and very impulsive which doesn’t bode well for our credit cards!

Hubby = Lee (34), not a massive Disney fan but still enjoys it, adrenaline junkie, easy going and the sensible half of our partnership!

7th December 2008.

Well after not much sleep the previous night we were both fast asleep until about 3am when our neighbour in the room next door decided to have a PARTY! I don’t just mean a few people talking loudly it was a full on party with at least 20 people laughing & shouting with the music blaring!
We both shot out of bed wondering what an earth was going on!! Lee started to get dressed to go and tell them to turn it down but I suggested that we call the front desk instead….you could clearly tell they were all drunk and in this day & age it’s not worth the risk. Lee rang the front desk and they said they would send security straight up. We waited for about half an hour and it was still the same, they were even out in the hallway aswell now. I was getting really mad as I just wanted to get some sleep. With no sign of it stopping Lee called down again to see if security had been up? They had! She said they would come up again immediately….I think she had received lots of complaints by this point. After a few minutes it went quiet and we heard the security guy as he walked back along the corridor. We got back into bed & could still hear them all laughing & talking but at least the music was off……..for about 5 minutes! OMG! We were furious, it was 4am for goodness sake!!!

Lee rang down to the poor lady on the front desk and he wasn’t rude to her but clearly told her to send security again and tell them to clear the people out of the room and then stay in the corridor to make sure they don’t come back! After about 15 minutes the music finally stopped & we heard the rabble leaving as they all went along the corridor laughing & singing. It was about 4.50am by the time we finally got back to sleep then at 7am the alarm went off! ARRHHHHHHH!!!

We got up and showered and we were out by 8am. I drove to the nearby Walgreens to get some more cough medicine and also some soft tissues as I now had a runny nose and was starting to resemble Rudolph! Finally we set the TomTom for Busch Gardens and off we went. I had been driving along the I4 for about 5 minutes…..when OMG!!! a police siren was blaring and I looked in my rear view mirror to see a police car up my backside and a very angry looking policeman pointing me to the hard shoulder. I should point out here that I have never been pulled over in my life and I was so scared! My heart was in my mouth!!! Lee was repeatedly telling me to clam down & pull over. My legs were shaking and according to Lee I was as white as a ghost….even my red nose! I pulled over & watched as he got out and walked up to the passenger side of the car, Lee put his window down and the policeman asked if I knew what speed I was doing….to which I replied No, I’m sorry – I am embarrassed to say I actually didn’t! He then asked me if I knew what the speed limit was….to which I replied No, I’m sorry….. he then told me that the limit was 55mph & that I had disrespected him by overtaking him at speed as he was doing 65! Opps! I apologised over & over. I felt like a little girl being told off. He said I was lucky as he was going to let me off but to pay more attention & stick to the speed limits in future! PHEW!! What a relief. See I told you all I enjoyed the driving at little too much!!!!

Thankfully the rest of the journey to Busch Gardens went without a hitch and we arrived safely at 10.30am….a little later than planned but never mind. Here is the Christmas tree just outside the park entrance.

We entered the park and headed straight to the tour desk to check in for our Saving a Species tour. We are given a map with the meeting point & told to be there at 12.45pm. By now it was 11am & as we hadn’t eaten yet we were starting to feel hungry so we grabbed a cheeseburger & coke each from the Zagora café as it was the nearest place. Once we had eaten we went round to see the alligators.

We then continued up to the Myombe Reserve and watched the apes & other primates, they fascinate me and I could watch them for hours especially this big guy:

On the way up to the elephant enclosure we saw came across Rudolph the red nose…..Zebra? LOL!

We got to the Elephant enclosure just as the keeper was talking about the 5 Asian elephants they have at the park and explaining who was the matriarch & how old they were etc.. I love elephants they are my favourite animals (other than my doggies of course).

It was almost time for our tour so we walked to the meeting point and meet up with our tour guide, Sean. We were slightly early so sat on a bench & waited about 10 mins for the others to arrive. Once the others had arrived we all walked over to the loading point and climbed aboard the back of the truck. It is a bit of a bumpy ride going over the mud so you are advised to hold on tight to the edge. As soon as we headed out onto the Serengeti Plains we are approached by three Giraffes….

This is Dolly:

Cupid:

Finally this is Jafary…he knows where the lettuce is kept!

Sean our guide then gives us lots of information on each of them and he gives us all some lettuce leaves to feed to them. This is my hand feeding Cupid, you can’t tell by this picture but they absolutely slobber you with their extremely long tongue! (We have done this tour before so were aware what to expect this time round!)

Once we had all fed the Giraffe several times we moved on to see a White Rhino called Keyan. Whilst we were there his keeper arrived and gave him a cardboard box to play with, it was so cute to watch as he was scared to go near it as first but soon destroyed it.

We drove further up to see the Black Rhinos. We were very close to a mum & her 8 month old, 800lb baby called Crash!

Cont'd below.....

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - 14n WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - 12n EBTA, Sept 2014 - 14n WBTA, May 2015 - 15n EBTA, Sept 2015 - West Coast Road trip & Disneyland

Last edited by Pinky166; 01-05-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Pinky166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:01 PM   #2
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side

The driver then drove back and on the way we stopped to feed some Eland.

The tour costs $45 per person and takes about 45 mins. It is great fun feeding the Giraffes. Also there is a photographer on board with you the whole time and you can view the photos immediately after. I can’t remember the price to buy just a single print but we bought the cd which has all the pictures of us (approx 15) it also includes lots of photos of the animals for $30.

Next we walked around the Edge of Africa area and saw the Meerkats, Lions, Hyenas, Hippos etc….

I was astonished by one of the facts about Hippos, apparently they usually weigh approx 3,500lbs but the largest Hippo ever recorded weighed 9,900lbs!!!!

A couple of pics:

I felt guilty taking a picture of this guy as he was obviously having a bad hair day!!

We then caught the train from Nairobi Train Station up to Congo Train Station at the top of the park. I was really looking forward to seeing Jungala, the new area and it didn’t disappoint. They had an enclosure for the Orang-utans which had several viewing areas & this rather unique one. A glass section in the floor which has a hammock hanging underneath where your standing…here is a pic but unfortunately it’s not great due to the glare from the glass.

There is also a section with some Tigers and again a very cool viewing area. I don’t know who this little girl but her facial expression says it all!

Unfortunately we didn’t queue to have a look from the viewing area as it was quite long and there was a special Christmas on Ice show that we wanted to see was due to start soon. We made our way over to the theatre and got a drink then took our seat in the middle section.

It was a lovely show, very festive. Considering how small the stage/ice was I was amazed at the jumps & spins the skaters did. It also snowed on the audience at the end.

Afterwards we walked to Lory Landing to feed the Lorikeet birds but it was 5.10 and it had closed at 5pm. We headed towards the park exit stopping in a few gift shops along the way. It took an hour & 10 minutes to get back to the hotel. I was still feeling ill & we were so tired from our wake up call that we ended up ordering room service…..and paying the 22% service charge. I had chicken tenders with fries & Lee had the NY strip steak again. We watched tv in the room & had an early night.

Coming soon…..Day 8 – Our second attempt at a shopping day!

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - 14n WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - 12n EBTA, Sept 2014 - 14n WBTA, May 2015 - 15n EBTA, Sept 2015 - West Coast Road trip & Disneyland

Last edited by Pinky166; 01-05-2009 at 06:06 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2009, 03:49 AM   #3
wicket2005
Hasn't got a clue what a tag is
Christmassyfyed, yes I have had a glass of wine judging by that spelling

Dear me, the day didn't start off too well. What a nightmare having noisy neighbours at least they were eventually sorted out but it is no good when you want to sleep and are not feeling too well. Some people are so inconsiderate.

I would have died if we had been pulled over by the police. I am not sure if my hubbie was speeding on our holiday as there was a policeman biker in the middle hard shoulder with a speed gun. I felt like we were going quite fast but the hubbie said he was within the speed limit. Unfortunately, he isn't always sure exactly what the speed limit is on the I4 because there are different speeds. You did so well driving, it is something I have never fancied doing. The driving in December wasn't too bad but in July it was just crazy with loads of drivers doing really dangerous things. Could be all the worldś tourists as I think every country behaves differently behind a wheel. We found no one would let us in lanes. Well done for driving though.

I am glad you enjoyed your visit to Busch. We went a few yearś ago and enjoyed the day, barring the Gwazi which shook the living daylights out of us. The youngest fancied the giraffe feeding ride so may do that some day.

Never used room service but certainly fancied using it but the hubbie said the meals are always rubbish. I don't know how he knows that because he has never used them. That is the one thing I think the Hard Rock and Royal Pacific lack is a place just to buy takeaway sandwiches/pizzas. We stayed in the Rosen Centre on IDrive and that had a fantastic deli which was so handy on a night.

1996, 1998, 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008x2, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014
wicket2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:35 AM   #4
Snowy-girls
Did you speak to a 'human being'?
As you can see, all I have is a load of gobble-de-gook writing

Oh Claire-you naughty girl ,i think you enjoyed driving a little too much .Good job he let you off+did'nt breathalyse you after all the cough medicine+tabs you were taking .

How inconsiderate some people are-i know there on holiday but do they really need to behave like that.I remember staying at the Quality Inn and next door had a dog in there room-now during the day it did'nt bother me-we wasn't there,but it never shut up in the evenings+mostly thru the night as well .Then they would come in late or early hours+make such a noise with music/tv etc..In the end i complained after 2 days of it+thankfully it was dealt with-if i remember correctly they should'nt have had the dog in there.

You're photos are lovely-i love the Gorilla's as well,so does Emily.The tour sounds very good-we have never been Busch Gardens,maybe when the girls are older+the rides are only really suitable for Tony-he's the dare devil .Is that Lee in the photo with the Eland?(i don't know what you's look like ).x.

Sweet Kitty Dreams La-La,Smudge,Sam+Max.Together Again.11:3:94-20:5:08.x.x.29:4:93-17:3:09.x.x.29:4:93-21:7:10.x.x.11:3:94-2:3:12.x.x.

NOV90Sheraton Anaheim CaliforniaSEP93Quality Inn I-DriveSEP95Holiday Inn I-DriveSEP97Castle Inn+Suites AnaheimSEP98-Best Western AnaheimAUG03Quality Inn I-DriveApr/May04Holiday Inn I-DriveApr09Embassy Suites I-Drive SouthApr11Quality Inn Plaza+Pop.Aug13Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,CSR+AKL With Free QSDP.AUG15Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,RPR+21 nights at OKW With Free DDP.
Snowy-girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:34 AM   #5
raph_b
Proud Redhead

What a nightmare start!!

Fantastic pictures - you have a great eye for a picture Claire
Feb 1999 - DLRP - Sequoia Lodge (4 nights)
May 2007 - DLRP - Daytrip
Sep 2008 - WDW - Offsite (2 weeks)
Mar 2009 - DLRP - Hotel New York (3 nights)
Nov 2009 - DLHK - Daytrip
Sep 2010 - WDW - Last trip before its time to have babies!

Thank you O' great Tag Fairy - You have made this Proud Redhead a very happy bunny!!
raph_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:02 AM   #6
jjk

Pete and I wait and watch some lovely baby lizards
I have always booked myself
"Play Up Pompey"

what an eventful morning Claire,i once managed to set of the alarm in our villa and had the local sherrif at the door I was petrified and hubby was not amused as he had to prove we had the keys and could lock up

I love Bush fantastic piccies especially of the meer cat they are my favourite

2000 Disneyland paris 2003 Ramada inn 2004 Quality inn plaza2005 Cumbrian lakes2006 Emerald Island July and December2007 Emerald Island May and July2008 Emerald Island and Contemporary Resort2009 Saratoga Springs 2010 Animal Kingdom lodge2011HRH Animal KingdomLodge 2012Holiday inn Miami ocean front /Animal Kingdom lodge
jjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:13 AM   #7
Tammy Stringer
I love babies - all milky and baby powdery
Do you knit, Barbara?
Up for the marquee option

What fantastic pictures - I love the one of the little girl and the tigers.

I hope you had a better night's sleep the next night - poor you

Tammy
Tammy Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:24 AM   #8
jen_uk
Eurovision Nut !!

What a stressful start to the day!! Glad it got better! Hope you were soon feeling better

My dis buddy is Carolfoy
jen_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:10 AM   #9
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

Claire you are such a rebel what a stressful day !!

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:54 AM   #10
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

Never had you down as a 'girl racer' Claire!

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
wickesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:17 PM   #11
Claire L
Enjoys a good broadway show
Likes a nice cold glass of White Zinfandel
Has been known to have a blonde moment now and then

::cop: DOH!

Great pictures of the animals and skaters

Claire ::cop:
Aug 90 to Mar 98 - 6 visits to US and 20 states visited, inc 2 trips to WDW and 2 trips to DL Jun 01 - WDW Grosvenor DTD 2wks + TIG St Pete Beach 1wk Jun 02 - WDW WL 2wks Feb 03 - New York 4nts Jun 03 - West Coast 3wks SF to LA & DL for 3 days Oct 04 - WDW AKL 10nts + RPR 2nts Jun 05 - WDW YC 10nts + HRH 4nts + TIG St Pete Beach 1wk! Jun 06 - SF to LV inc Lake Tahoe, Yosemite + the Grand Canyon 3wks Dec 06 - NYE at WDW POFQ 11nts inc RPR 1nt Oct 07 - WDW SSR 2wks inc PBH 1nt May 08 - WDW AKV 15nts inc PBH 1nt + VB 4nts Feb 09 - WDW SSR 1wk + BWI 1wk Jun 09 - Washington DC for 1wk Dec 09 - New York for 6nts Oct 10 - Miami 3nts & WDW AKV KV 13nts inc HRH 1nt Jun 11 - LA to Seattle for 3wks inc 3 days at DLC Oct 12 - WDW AKV KV 2wks inc PBH 1nt Oct 14 - WDW AKV KV 2wks inc PBH 1nt
Claire L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:21 PM   #12
BRobson
Beavers is a dangerous place to be
I will just have to enjoy Food and Wine and skip the running

Oh me Claire what a day

Your pictures are fantastic - I do hope you feel better soon

BRobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:09 PM   #13
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicket2005 View Post
Dear me, the day didn't start off too well. What a nightmare having noisy neighbours at least they were eventually sorted out but it is no good when you want to sleep and are not feeling too well. Some people are so inconsiderate.

I would have died if we had been pulled over by the police. I am not sure if my hubbie was speeding on our holiday as there was a policeman biker in the middle hard shoulder with a speed gun. I felt like we were going quite fast but the hubbie said he was within the speed limit. Unfortunately, he isn't always sure exactly what the speed limit is on the I4 because there are different speeds. You did so well driving, it is something I have never fancied doing. The driving in December wasn't too bad but in July it was just crazy with loads of drivers doing really dangerous things. Could be all the worldś tourists as I think every country behaves differently behind a wheel. We found no one would let us in lanes. Well done for driving though.

I am glad you enjoyed your visit to Busch. We went a few yearś ago and enjoyed the day, barring the Gwazi which shook the living daylights out of us. The youngest fancied the giraffe feeding ride so may do that some day.

Never used room service but certainly fancied using it but the hubbie said the meals are always rubbish. I don't know how he knows that because he has never used them. That is the one thing I think the Hard Rock and Royal Pacific lack is a place just to buy takeaway sandwiches/pizzas. We stayed in the Rosen Centre on IDrive and that had a fantastic deli which was so handy on a night.
Thanks Bev. I must admit that Lee & I have been on all the rollercoasters/thrill rides at Disney/US/IOA/Busch etc with the exception of Gwazi for that very reason. I just don't like wooden roller coasters.

The room service food at the Hard Rock was pretty good, probably one of the better one's we've had. Just think the 22% is a bit steep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy-girls View Post
Oh Claire-you naughty girl ,i think you enjoyed driving a little too much .Good job he let you off+did'nt breathalyse you after all the cough medicine+tabs you were taking .

How inconsiderate some people are-i know there on holiday but do they really need to behave like that.I remember staying at the Quality Inn and next door had a dog in there room-now during the day it did'nt bother me-we wasn't there,but it never shut up in the evenings+mostly thru the night as well .Then they would come in late or early hours+make such a noise with music/tv etc..In the end i complained after 2 days of it+thankfully it was dealt with-if i remember correctly they should'nt have had the dog in there.

You're photos are lovely-i love the Gorilla's as well,so does Emily.The tour sounds very good-we have never been Busch Gardens,maybe when the girls are older+the rides are only really suitable for Tony-he's the dare devil .Is that Lee in the photo with the Eland?(i don't know what you's look like ).x.
- Yeah I was probably over the legal limit on Cough medicine!

There is lots to do at Busch Gardens Michelle, it's not just rollercoasters. There is Pirates 4D & lots of shows & animal enclosures. (Quite like a zoo). I am sure the girls would like it. We didn't do any rides this time as I was feeling ill but still filled the whole day.

That is Lee in the piccie, not a very flattering photo of him though. There was a better one of him on the IOA/US day 3, he is standing infront of one of the Macys parade balloons. I will be posting some Photopass pics in the report aswell when we get to the Disney part so you will get to see us both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raph_b View Post
What a nightmare start!!

Fantastic pictures - you have a great eye for a picture Claire
Thank you very much for your compliments Craig.

BTW wheres the rest of your trip report got too!

Old 01-06-2009, 02:14 PM   #14
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side

Thank you all for reading & for your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickesy View Post
Never had you down as a 'girl racer' Claire!
Who me? Never David....my driving license is as clean as mud.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:22 PM   #15
CustardTart

I am sooo proud, happy, relieved and impressed - it's a great day...

Stunning pics, Claire! We're going to Busch Gardens for the very first time in April!!! Can't wait... Wow - I would have been a nervous wreck if pulled over by the police in Florida!!! I think you handled it well...

We have room service quite a bit - my kids love it and can wax lyrical about which resort has the best burger and fries (Grand Floridian, apparently)!!! I'm afraid I count the surcharge as the tip so the servers don't do too well out of me on that score - just a few dollars for delivering... So good to know it's not bad at HRH - we're there over Easter...
Grand Floridian Resort & Spa - Christmas 1998 * Dolphin/Vero Beach - Easter 2000 * Polynesian - August 2001 * Grand Floridian Resort & Spa - August 2004 * Beach Club/DCL Wonder - May 2005 * Grand Californian Hotel - NYE 2005 * Polynesian - August 2006 * DCL Magic Western Caribbean - September 2007 * Yacht Club - October 2007 * Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa - December 2007 * Villas at Wilderness Lodge/DCL Wonder Double Dip - May 2008 * DCL Magic Mexican Riviera/Disneyland Hotel - August 2008 * Boardwalk Villas - October 2008 * Animal Kingdom Villas/Hard Rock Hotel Club - Easter 2009 * Bay Lake Tower/DCL Magic Eastern Caribbean & Tortola/Villas at Wilderness Lodge - September 2009 * Bay Lake Tower - June 2010 * DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic - September 2010 * Old Key West - October 2010 * Sequoia Lodge/Paris - November 2010 * Boardwalk Villas/DCL Dream Inaugural Cruise - January 2011 * Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa/Villas at Wilderness Lodge - November 2011 * Boardwalk Villas - July 2012 * Animal Kingdom Villas/DCL Fantasy Western Caribbean - November 2012 * Boardwalk Villas/Bay Lake Tower - January 2014...
CustardTart is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: