Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Countdowns and Live Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2009, 05:54 PM   #901
Tropigal
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4prez View Post
I am going absolutely nuts here in Ohio. It's freaking cold as could be(single digits as high's) and we had a foot of snow this past weekend and we are expecting several more inches tonight. I cannot wait for 10 more days. I'm hoping the long term forcasts of warm weather will turn out to be accurate. Ohhh I hate winter up here. LOL
Where in NE Ohio are you? We are just west of Cleveland. I hate this COLD!
I can't wait till Friday!

1 1/2 more days to go til DISNEY!!!

DVC Owner!!

Tropigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:06 PM   #902
Dancegrl624
DIS Veteran

I feel so bad for my DH right now. He's been home since 1pm and he's pretty much just been sleeping. He still hasn't gotten sick (knock on wood!) but he has a pretty bad headache and body aches. I have to teach dance tonight at 7:20pm and our DD doesn't go to bed until 8pm. I just gave her a bath and got her bed all set up. I put in one of her new Disney cds (the ones I got on ebay) because she likes to listen to music as she falls asleep. She is always wonderful whenever one of us is sick. She's very compassionate and kinda takes care of herself. I feel so bad leaving, but I can't get a sub on this short notice. Besides, I'll already be missing a week when we're gone. I'm sure that they'll both be fine tonight, I just worry!

Completed Trip Reports
A Sept 2013 Solo Trip to the World It's A Cat World After All A Sept 2012 TRCelebrations Galore & Free Dining Too! A Sept 2012 PTR
Take Small Children By The Hand...a Sept Trip Report "I Want To Go Back!!!...a Sept 2010 PTR
Heat,Headaches but So Much Fun! My June Birthday TR Wishes Do Come True!...a Birthday PTR A Surprise Fit for a Princess...PTR and TR
1984-1st trip, 1987-offsite, 1991-offsite, 1992-Contemporary (won that trip!), 1997-ASMu, 2002-offsite (DH's 1st trip),
2006-offsite (DD's 1st trip), Jan 2009-offsite, June 2009- Birthday trip at Pop,Sept 2010-Pop Century,Aug 2012-Boardwalk Inn,Sept 2012-POFQ (DS's 1st trip),Sept 2013-CR (Earmarked Conference), March 2014-DCL AEP on the Magic
Dancegrl624 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2009, 06:16 PM   #903
dundeehunter
Mouseketeer

Extreme cold in WI

DD's came home from school announcing that school has been cancelled for tomorrow.... due to sub zero weather and -25 windchill. We live in a rural area and the buses don't get warm. Some children stand/walk to school and it's just too darn cold. My girls will be going to school until 4th of July if this continues...but the god news: We will be in WDW next week!!

I'm still mending with an ear infection. Hoping that the pressure goes away soon.

As for autographic, we have always taken the clickable sharpies. But whatever you take....take something. A pen in WDW is like $4.75 Something you will NOT want to purchase there.

Safe travels for all of the Snowbirds leaving in the next couple of days...

January 20-27, 2009 Pop Century
no more ticker no trips planned...
dundeehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:37 PM   #904
MAGGIED
DIS Veteran

MAGGIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #905
duncansnickers
Duncansnickers

I miss being a snowbird! (used to live in S.E. WI). It's sunny and in the mid- 70's here. (Phoenix). It gets tiresome being warm all the time, even in the middle of winter when I want to wear a big sweater and Uggs, but can't! I know, all of you people in sub zero temps want to punch me, but I swear, living in an always warm climate gets tiresome!
I know I'm intruding on the "Snowbird" post, but I am one at heart, and I still go visit WI twice a year! And listening to all your winter weather discussions makes me feel at home!

Last edited by duncansnickers; 01-14-2009 at 07:35 PM.
duncansnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:59 PM   #906
dundeehunter
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGGIED View Post

This is too darn sweet! I saw this also on her trip report!
Maybe we have to plan a Snowbirds reunion trip for ladies only...
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncansnickers View Post
I miss being a snowbird! (used to live in S.E. WI). It's sunny and in the mid- 70's here. (Pheonix). It gets tiresome being warm all the time, even in the middle of winter when I want to wear a big sweater and Uggs, but can't! I know, all of you people in sub zero temps want to punch me, but I swear, living in an always warm climate gets tiresome!
I know I'm intruding on the "Snowbird" post, but I am one at heart, and I still go visit WI twice a year! And listening to all your winter weather discussions makes me feel at home!
I totally understand what you are saying. I love the snow..how it looks on the trees. I HATE driving in it. We were in WDW in Dec, 2007 and the decorations were beautiful, but I missed the snow...
Anytime you want to "switch houses" during January, I'm game! I'm in the Middle of Wisconsin in Fond du lac County. Arizonia would be great this time...but Disney will be WONDERFUL

January 20-27, 2009 Pop Century
no more ticker no trips planned...
dundeehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:10 PM   #907
duncansnickers
Duncansnickers

Yeah, a house switch would be awesome!! Too bad my H is a huge baby, and is cold when it hits 60 degrees out! He would never survive WI in winter!
I am in the huge minority here (don't hate me), but I am actually hoping for a cool front once we get to WDW, so I can wear jeans and sip hot cocoa for a change!
Don't freeze out there in WI. I just watched our forecast here, and we are going up to 77! Bust out the flip flops!
I'm from Sussex, WI...not sure if you are familiar w/ that part of WI. It's a small town. Well, aren't they all?
duncansnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:12 PM   #908
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncansnickers View Post
I miss being a snowbird! (used to live in S.E. WI). It's sunny and in the mid- 70's here. (Pheonix). It gets tiresome being warm all the time, even in the middle of winter when I want to wear a big sweater and Uggs, but can't! I know, all of you people in sub zero temps want to punch me, but I swear, living in an always warm climate gets tiresome!
You are always welcome here. You are not intruding on the Snowbirds and you don't have to be from the north! We welcome all!
Momof2Disneyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:13 PM   #909
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Bye Jen! Have a safe and wonderful trip!
Momof2Disneyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:08 PM   #910
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Got our crocs today!! YAY! Mine fit snug but good. The girls' are a little big, and DD5 says, these will still fit me when I am 6! (that's in March!) They don't care - they love their Tink MJs! We're all walking around the house in them!
DD5 got her flumist today - has to get a second dose in a month because apparently this is her first time! I could've sworn she had one before...

DD7 got her hair cut today too - It's almost all one length now. Her bangs have about an inch to catch up. The rest is about chin length. She looks so much older - we made the mistake of telling her that and she spent 10 minutes staring at herself in the mirror!! Jeez.

Waiting to hear if they're going to delay or cancel school tomorrow because of the cold. I guess they are in rural areas already. We live in the suburbs, so they may not. Well, then the kids will just have to run errands with me in the subzero temps!! I'm supposed to work too! We shall see...
Mndisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:16 PM   #911
PrincessDez
Mouseketeer

Oops, I never put my return date...........I am there from 24-31..........
Thanks for adding me to the list Momof2boys...............hey, I am the mom of two (Disney) boys as well. It's a great adventure.
Oct 99~DCL Magic~ASM; Oct 00~Old Key West; Oct 02~Polynesian; July 03~Swan; Feb 04~DCL Magic; Nov 05~Beach Club Villas; Jan 08~Yacht Club; Jan. 09~Yacht Club Concierge; April 10~ASMusic: Nov 10~Bay Lake Towers; April 11~Boardwalk Villas/Yacht Club

PrincessDez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:34 PM   #912
PrincessDez
Mouseketeer

I understand DuncanSnickers, totally! I would LOVE a nice white Christmas! We live in Northern California and it gets cold (ok not as cold as for some of ya'll) but it's been as cold as 32 degrees some days. If I am cold and bundled up it would be nice to have some snow with it.

All of you who are sick (including DH's and DD's/DS's) please feel better soon. Sleep, drink lots of fluid and just do nothing! Get a lot of rest. You have some fun ahead of you and you'll need your energy. Please take care!

Btw,

Thanks for letting me join.........
Oct 99~DCL Magic~ASM; Oct 00~Old Key West; Oct 02~Polynesian; July 03~Swan; Feb 04~DCL Magic; Nov 05~Beach Club Villas; Jan 08~Yacht Club; Jan. 09~Yacht Club Concierge; April 10~ASMusic: Nov 10~Bay Lake Towers; April 11~Boardwalk Villas/Yacht Club

Old 01-14-2009, 11:45 PM   #913
PrincessDez
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancegrl624 View Post
Time is crawling along way too slowly! We still have 10 days and I haven't started packing yet. I'll probably pack next week on Thursday and Friday. I have NO place to secretly pack, so that's a problem. I think our suitcases may fit under our bed, but I have to check. If I didn't still have packing to do, I would be losing my mind!

I have a tip:
We did a surprise trip last year, and I had to keep it secret from my two boys. I ended up getting a few laundry baskets and packing in them. The kids just thought I was being lazy and not putting clothes away........ The night before we left, I just transferred it all to the suitcases while they were asleep.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:48 PM   #914
retromaven
Earning My Ears

Hi guys! Nice to see a "dedicated" thread just to snowbirds. I am one of those wacko's who loves the cold weather and snow (I'm a skier) and so going to Disney when it is cool and less crowded would always be my choice (although I'd never pass up a Disney vacation any time of year) given the choice.

Thanks Mindy for posting the Wilderness Lodge photos. I will be there in 7 days, so the pics and the report that the parks are relatively uncrowded despite the 4/3 promotion was really great to hear. I kind of suspected that might be the case, as we booked this trip relatively last minute (end of Nov '08) and I got ADR's at all the restaurants I wanted on the days times I wanted, no substitutions (and even the Disney woman who did my ADR's was shocked I got prime times at prime restaurants) so I figured if that was the case, the parks would have light to more reasonable crowd levels.

If it warms up to 72 during the day, in the heated pools (we are pretty hardy) would you say we would be able to take a dip in the pool during the height of the day?

Thanks in advance!

retromaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:02 AM   #915
drakes
DIS Veteran

Hello Snowbirds... I have one more day of work!
Looking at the weather forecast our first few days it will be cooler than expected.

We've cleaned the house... last load of laundry is in the dryer.

Today of course the unexpected happened... after work i take DD directly to get her hair cut. She wanted it short. I said no, at least below the shoulders. So it gets cut and looks "ok", we get home and I didn't like it... so i cut it some more... it looks alot better, dd said I should be a hair dresser, she loves it - she was crying at the salon She also won;t stop looking in the mirror...

anyway so we get home... and I see some drops of blood on the floor
I go on a search for the cat. I find her hiding. I pick her up and look all over her and there I see it , an abscess on her little behind. It was not there yesterday because I know I specifically looked at her behind because she was walking a bit gingerly. So this must have been the cause and it ruptured... off we head to the pet er... they just called at midnight... she had to be sedated to clean it up and they've discharged her. Dh went to go pick her up. We leave in just over 24 hours... and now this Poor kitty. She is 18 years old but behaves like a kitten. She is strictly indoors , so we don't know how it happened. I'll have to phone our cat sitter while we're away... poor dd was in tears because we just lost our dog at the same clinic in October. DD was afraid kitty would die too.
What a day!!!!

So we spent a few hours at pet er!

while I waited for the phone call to come pick her up I was able to sort through the clothes into piles by person... I'll have to pack it all tomorrow... I usually pack the night before to ensure I have everything on the list. Right now it is all in totes, so I will fold and roll and transfer into the cases tomorrow... for some reason I am more panicked about it this time. Probably because I have bought ALOT for this trip...

Well let's hope kitty gets home soon!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: