Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2009, 02:47 PM   #91
Jennifer48
Not a Disney bride but engaged and honeymooned at Disney!

Friday December 5, 2008

EPCOT day. The week was starting to wear us out so we decided to sleep in a bit and didnít get to the park until 11:30. First stop was to hit Soariní for some FASTPASSes and the return time was 4:45! The stand-by line was 55 minutes. Yeah right. We were hungry so we grabbed some sandwiches at Seasons and walked around for an open table. It was crowded.

Dan and I are weather geeks. Iím a degreed Meteorologist and he just loves the weather, so when I heard about Stormstruck in Innoventions, I had to go check it out. Itís a 3D show that puts you in a house during a severe weather event to view the destruction that it can do. You then get to rebuild the home and neighborhood with materials that you believe will be able to withstand the wind, rain and lightning. It was fun.

Mouse Gears was next to make another attempt at finding some engagement pins. Of course there was nothing and nothing at the pin station behind the Fountain of Nations either. We got FPs for Test Track and started our journey through the countries. My plan was to see as many of the Christmas shows as possible before our Biergarten ADR at 5:30. I booked the Candlelight Dinner package which only used 2 TS credits. One per person.

First was Canada but we missed him by a few minutes.

We went inside the shops because I had never been in them. I always bypassed Canada. I figured I live nearby, I can go there whenever

We found these soaps. Those crazy Canadians. Do people really want to smell like this?

Pierre Noel was out and we just got the end of his story

Next was Morocco where we learned about Ashoora. It is a festive, music filled day celebrated once a year throughout Morocco. Ashoora, which means "number 10" is celebrated on the 10th day of the first month of the Islamic New Year. On this day, every household gives a certain percentage of their earnings to the needy. During the afternoon, families gather together for the feast of the Ashoora. Children are given gifts of new clothes, sweets, toys, and often given a special drum called a taarja. For dinner, the whole family gathers together to eat the traditional Moroccan lamb and couscous. One of the traditions happens at sunset. From the largest cities to the smallest, bonfires are built in the streets by children who sing and dance around the fires for hours. From dawn to midnight, the people of Morocco celebrate the joy, color and tradition of the Feast of Ashoora.

Japan was very interesting. They celebrate O-Shogatsu, which lasts from January 1st through January 3rd, which is the traditional Japanese New Year. This peddler is selling the Daruma Doll.

It is an important New Year symbol and good luck charm for the Japanese. The custom is to make a wish and paint in the left eye. If your wish comes try by the end of the year, you paint in the other eye. She said there are a lot of homes with one-eyed Darumas!

We hit up Italy next where we met La Befana who they consider a "good hearted witch."

She is the Christmas giver to climbs down chimneys to fill good children's shoes with treats. Naughty children may find a lump of coal instead! Unlike Santa Claus, who appears on Christmas Eve, La Befana arrives on the eve of Epiphany (January 6). She supposedly wanders the countryside looking for Gesu Bambino (baby Jesus) year after year, and leaves gifts just in case she finds him.

We were thirsty and the other events were not scheduled to appear for a bit so we went to China so Dan could get his mango smoothie. This is a new tradition for him since he first tasted it on our April trip.

China light fixture for my friend LL!

We waited too long sitting watching people meet Mushu that we missed the Monkey King.

The sign said The story of the Monkey King is an ancient Chinese legend that tells an exciting tale of redemption and enlightenment. A monkey raised by humans became the Monkey King when he single handedly defeated a horrific monster in his homeland. Then, the Monkey King acquired incredible powers when he cleverly uprooted a magic stick guarded by the dragon king. With this magic stick and the ability to do just about anything, the Monkey King started to look for adventure and mischief. Buddha was not pleased with this abuse of power and decided to seal the Monkey King inside a mountain for eternity. The Monkey King quickly realized the error of his ways! Fortunately a monk named Thang Seng believed in the Monkey King's redemption and asked Buddha to release him. The Monkey King was then asked to join Thang Seng on a journey to India to bring back Buddha's original teaching texts. The Monkey King proved to be a loyal comrade to Thang Seng. Like many holiday legends, this heartfelt story sends an important message of hope.

When walking out, we saw this sight:

The bridge was up as they were pulling the barges out for Illuminations. It was so weird to see!

to be continued....
Aulani: '13
My Latest Invention: The Traffic-eliminator-inator!
A Road Trip Engagement
Best Friends and New Friends - A MAGICal Tale
My First Disney Cruise Trip Report
Old 01-15-2009, 03:00 PM   #92
Jennifer48

EPCOT continued...

Mexico was next to listen to the Three Kings (Los Tres Reyes).

On January 6th, the day the Three Kings arrived in Bethlehem bringing gifts to the baby Jesus, Mexican children leave their shoes on the doorsteps in a special celebration called Dia De Los Tres Reyes (Three Kings Day). When the children awaken the next morning, they are delighted to see toys and gifts in and around their shoes the next day.

While waiting in Norway, I couldn't help but notice all the kids around. They were jr high/high school age and they all seemed to be wearing the same thing. Skinny jeans with tapered leg and Converse sneakers. When did this style come in? I'm not wearing that

Norway was our favorite. An elf-like gnome named Julenissen, lives in the woods and barns across the countryside. Julenissen is the guardian of every family's welfare, so children leave a steaming bowl of porridge in the hayloft during the holiday period to thank Julenissen.

This girl was unable to see Julenissen but we could! He was teasing her and the children were getting so into it. It was so cute.

We walked through the Fife and Drum tavern to see the gingerbread house before our Biergarten reservations.

to be concluded....

A Road Trip Engagement
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2009, 03:06 PM   #93
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

Wow, amazing updates! You got some great pictures to highlight all the holiday festivities in World Showcase. I am so jealous you got to experience all of that...I really wanted to try to catch some of the story tellers. Oh well.

I also love the one of the bridge up when they were setting up for Illuminations...that is crazy! Oh yeah, and that beaver soap is pretty funny. I love how it says "there's no dam beaver in this soap." haha!
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIP: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
Old 01-15-2009, 03:15 PM   #94
Kimberly815
DIS Veteran
you can call us Mr. and Mrs. ChuckleDoodle!

Great recaps of the Christmas shows in all of the Epcot Countries. That was one of my favorite parts when I was there at Christmas!
Old 01-15-2009, 03:36 PM   #95
NeverlandClub23
Jon Bon Jovi's secret lover
I miss the big talking pile of leaves and trash
It makes me laugh to sing it like a drunk old man would sing it

I LOVE Epcot at Christmastime!! The Santa's Around the World is one of my favorite things to do.

I can't wait to hear your review of Biergarten . We have eaten here a few times and the last time we were sat with two other couples at the same table and had the weird, uncomfortable meal much like you had at Jiko. Our entire table was pretty much silent. The restaurant was practically empty but that's how they were seating everyone. The other times we've gone they'd never done that.

I'm so upset! I didn't even know about the Storm thing at Innoventions! My bf calls me The Weather Channel junkie I would have LOVED that! Next time

What is up with the tapered jeans and Converse?? When we were there in November we counted all the men we saw wearing capri's (they were definitely NOT long shorts). Who makes up these styles?

Great update! Can't wait for more!
Old 01-15-2009, 04:18 PM   #96
mejkjj97
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverlandClub23 View Post
What is up with the tapered jeans and Converse?? When we were there in November we counted all the men we saw wearing capri's (they were definitely NOT long shorts). Who makes up these styles?

We were there at the end of August and at night there were tons of men in carpi's. My DH was like, "am i out of fashion or something. when did men capri's become popular"

Also, Great Pictures!! I don't know if we will ever get down durning the holiday season since DH is a teacher. So i am really enjoying your pictures- the Osburne Lights are amazing.
Can't wait to hear more
, Oct' 11 AKV/BW, May '11 AKV,'10 BLT, '09- SSR, '08- Dolphin, '07- Off site Sheraton Vista Villages, '06- Beach Club, '03- Disneyland Paradise Pier, '01- Hard Rock Hotel, '00- Port Orleans Riverside, 1996- Carribean Beach, 1989- off site, 1986- off site

ME (40) DH (41) : DD (8) DD (4)
Old 01-15-2009, 04:51 PM   #97
Tnkrbelle565
DIS Veteran

The best update yet....you are so lucky to have gone during the holidays. Although I think I'd need a 14 day trip to squeeze it all in
Old 01-15-2009, 05:00 PM   #98
A's Princess
Mouseketeer

Great update!
Old 01-15-2009, 06:31 PM   #99
Lady Lallie
DIS Veteran

On the engagement pin. I have a pin with Mickey & Minnie sitting in a diamond ring. It doesn't say Just Engaged or anything but I got it to symbolize our engagement. Does that make sense? I bought mine off of ebay. Here's a link if you want to take a look. Ring Pin.

What a wonderful update. I've decided when I finally take my December trip that I will need to make it at least a 10 day trip to fit in all the Holiday wonderful-ness!

Thanks for the light fixture picture!!
Old 01-16-2009, 01:23 AM   #100
MistyMoss
Earning My Ears

Loved the pics from Epcot, Jen!!! That is one of the reasons we want to go for a few days in early Dec. sometime. Since we belong to BCV we can just walk on over the Epcot and hang out. You will never catch DH drinking a mango smoothie though. Probably just a beer, and maybe another beer, and maybe another beer!! If Dan likes the mango smoothies he should check out the margarita stand at the Mexico pavillion. He could get one of these:
Fiesta Margarita - combination of lime, strawberry, mango & kiwi
Lime Margarita
Strawberry Margarita
Mango Margarita
I can personally vouch for both the Fiesta and the regular lime ones. Both are very yummy.

Keep the report coming.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:31 AM   #101
Jennifer48

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwgirl03 View Post
Wow, amazing updates! You got some great pictures to highlight all the holiday festivities in World Showcase. I am so jealous you got to experience all of that...I really wanted to try to catch some of the story tellers. Oh well.
Thanks! I think that if one wants to do all the EPCOT story tellers, either be there when the World Showcase opens or plan 2 days. I was glad we got to fit in a lot of them. You'd think though, that they would have the times set up for someone to walk around to see each one and there were quite a few that over lapped. Go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly815 View Post
Great recaps of the Christmas shows in all of the Epcot Countries. That was one of my favorite parts when I was there at Christmas!
I loved learning how other countries celebrate Christmas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverlandClub23 View Post
I LOVE Epcot at Christmastime!! The Santa's Around the World is one of my favorite things to do.

I can't wait to hear your review of Biergarten . We have eaten here a few times and the last time we were sat with two other couples at the same table and had the weird, uncomfortable meal much like you had at Jiko. Our entire table was pretty much silent. The restaurant was practically empty but that's how they were seating everyone. The other times we've gone they'd never done that.

I'm so upset! I didn't even know about the Storm thing at Innoventions! My bf calls me The Weather Channel junkie I would have LOVED that! Next time

Biergarten review coming up! You totally have to check out Stormstruck. Jim Cantore narrates it while you are in the queue line. It will bring you right back to The Weather Channel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejkjj97 View Post
We were there at the end of August and at night there were tons of men in carpi's. My DH was like, "am i out of fashion or something. when did men capri's become popular"

Also, Great Pictures!! I don't know if we will ever get down durning the holiday season since DH is a teacher. So i am really enjoying your pictures- the Osburne Lights are amazing.
Can't wait to hear more
We did see "man capri's" but not as much as the skinny jeans and Converse. I just felt like I was never told and felt out of the loop. Not that I'd wear skinny jeans, ever! Hopefully one day you can get down there during Christmastime. It was my first and I'm so glad I did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnkrbelle565 View Post
The best update yet....you are so lucky to have gone during the holidays. Although I think I'd need a 14 day trip to squeeze it all in
Thanks! I agree. You would need more time than my one week. Then you won't feel rushed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A's Princess View Post
Great update!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
On the engagement pin. I have a pin with Mickey & Minnie sitting in a diamond ring. It doesn't say Just Engaged or anything but I got it to symbolize our engagement. Does that make sense? I bought mine off of ebay. Here's a link if you want to take a look. Ring Pin.

What a wonderful update. I've decided when I finally take my December trip that I will need to make it at least a 10 day trip to fit in all the Holiday wonderful-ness!

Thanks for the light fixture picture!!
Thanks for the pin LL! I actually got that same pose as a Christmas ornament this year! Its more 2D than flat (if that makes sense).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMoss View Post
Loved the pics from Epcot, Jen!!! That is one of the reasons we want to go for a few days in early Dec. sometime. Since we belong to BCV we can just walk on over the Epcot and hang out. You will never catch DH drinking a mango smoothie though. Probably just a beer, and maybe another beer, and maybe another beer!! If Dan likes the mango smoothies he should check out the margarita stand at the Mexico pavillion. He could get one of these:
Fiesta Margarita - combination of lime, strawberry, mango & kiwi
Lime Margarita
Strawberry Margarita
Mango Margarita
I can personally vouch for both the Fiesta and the regular lime ones. Both are very yummy.

Keep the report coming.
I'm sure your DH wouldn't drink any kind of froofroo drink unless it had alkeyhol in it right?! I've had the Fiesta Margarita but I didn't know about the Mango! I'll have to tell him, for next time
A Road Trip Engagement
Old 01-16-2009, 06:51 AM   #102
Jennifer48

EPCOT concluded...

Biergarten is an indoor German "courtyard" featuring a German Oktoberfest buffet. Items include a variety of German sausages, sauerbraten, and red cabbage. They had a small stage show with yodelers, dancers and other lederhosen-clad musicians that performed during the meal.

I was happily surprised at how much I liked the food. I was a bit worried but it was really good! We were seated with another couple and a family of 4. The other couple was strange. The husband didnít show up until we had already gone up to the buffet once. She only got a salad and mac and cheese and he only ate a roll? Weird. The family of 4 had a daughter that was allergic to dairy and they notified our server. The chef came out within minutes to talk to the parents and she was served her own dairy free meal! He kept bringing food out to her personally and mom was overwhelmed. Ahh Disney magic! They were so nice to talk to. Mom kept telling us how great its been to vacation to Disney when they are able to prepare food for her daughter where most places aren't. So great!

After dinner, we jumped in line for the Candlelight Processional. We waited about 30 minutes before being let in. Our narrator was Brian Stokes Mitchell. He performed on Broadway and most people would recognize him from his short roll on ďFresh Prince of Bel-AirĒ as Trevor, Hillary Bankís love interest. He was a great narrator though because he had a deep voice that just seemed to bring the story to life.

Neither Dan nor I are big Illumination fans so we decided to skip this and head to the front of the park to get EMH bracelets. On the way I saw a CM and asked her where we could get them. She said that they donít do bracelets anymore and that we just use our room keys as ID. Díoh! I didnít know that. Didn't anyone else here on the DIS know that? Thatís ok. So we headed over to Test Track and got right on. Itís a much more thrilling ride in the dark. Iíve always done it during the day. Danís hand is blocking my face!

Next was Figment. That was walk on also but there were these 2 couples in front of us and they were in the car ahead of us. All they did was make out (I think they were drunk) and it was so annoying. One of the men was singing very loudly some random song and I actually blocked one ear so I couldnít hear him. Grrrr.

Soariní was next and since we had FPs to use, we walked to the return line. Since there were no more FPs for the real return time, she instructed us to follow the group to our right as there was a CM that we were to follow. Umm ok. There was a family of about 6, one in a wheelchair and then a mother and son. We asked them if this was the FP return and they all said yes as we thought they were being taken in the back way due to the wheelchair.
The CM comes out and takes us up the exit ramp and then into an unmarked door. In this door, through a dark hallway, through another door that led us outside! It was dark, no one was around and the CM says, ďplease wait here.Ē He heads inside and we all look at each other like weíve just been punkíd because it didnít seem right. Of course the camera was put away because we were going on a ride and I didnít think to take it out during our backstage detour. The CM came back shortly and let us in through another door. Dan and I were last behind everyone. We ended up right in front of the line where they break off the groups into the loading area. Cool! He left us and another CM took over. She said to turn around as we were to be loaded into the first area which meant Dan and I got row 1! It was a first! We asked the larger family if they wanted to switch but they declined. We felt bad as they were ahead of us. It is such a different experience being in the top row. No dangly feet in front of you. The little boy next to me did talk the WHOLE time but it was his enthusiasm for the view that didnít bother me as much.

We hit Spaceship Earth on our way out. I love this ride now that itís been refurbed. Your ďfutureĒ at the end is so much fun!

As we were leaving, they were "writing" good night in different languages with a laser onto Spaceship Earth. I wonder if they consider this EPCOT's "kiss goodnight?"

A Road Trip Engagement
Old 01-16-2009, 07:16 AM   #103
tinkerbell87512
I would love to hear all about these secrets!

I'm all up to date! Yay!

Looks like you had a fantastic time at EPCOT! I wish all those story tellers were out when I was down there. Oh and the lights of winter look beautiful. Thats such a cute picture of you two infront of the tree.

Can't wait for more!

June 1992 August 2000 February 2002 July 2004 July 2005 June 2006 July 2007 October 2007 May 2008 & DCL November 2008 May 2009 Sept/Oct 2010 & DCL November 2011 August 2013 October 2013 Tower of Terror 10 Miler!
Old 01-16-2009, 07:59 AM   #104
Lady Lallie
DIS Veteran

I have to say that the food from Biergarten doesn't really appeal to me but it looks so nice inside. I might have to try it someday.

I think I want to ride Test Track when it's dark too, I bet it's even better at night.

I've never heard of them writing Good Night on Spaceship Earth, that is so neat! You took a good picture of it too.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:15 AM   #105
Jennifer48

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell87512 View Post
I'm all up to date! Yay!

Looks like you had a fantastic time at EPCOT! I wish all those story tellers were out when I was down there. Oh and the lights of winter look beautiful. Thats such a cute picture of you two infront of the tree.

Can't wait for more!
Yay! Now you have to finish yours so I can read more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
I have to say that the food from Biergarten doesn't really appeal to me but it looks so nice inside. I might have to try it someday.

I think I want to ride Test Track when it's dark too, I bet it's even better at night.

I've never heard of them writing Good Night on Spaceship Earth, that is so neat! You took a good picture of it too.
Dan and I are not adventurous food people but we both enjoyed Biergarten very much. If you can tolerate sausages, you can eat here, IMO. You should ride TT at night. Its like BTMRR, much better in the dark.
A Road Trip Engagement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: