Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2009, 07:48 AM   #31
Jennifer48
Not a Disney bride but engaged and honeymooned at Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoEvilStepmother View Post

That is sooooooooo sweet! I can't believe it. What a wonderful start to the vacation, right?
Thank you! It was! I joked with Dan afterwards and told him that if I said no it would have made for a long, uncomfortable week together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A's Princess View Post
Congrats! Great TR!

Totally impressed you made trek down from Lowell (I went to UMass Lowell way back when!) DH and I have talked about driving down from here (Springfield, MA) but w/ 2 kids I don't think I'm that brave.

Love the idea of watching the 2004 ALCS on the way down! I didn't see the last 4 games either - had to listen on the radio as not to jinx them!
Thank you! I went to UML too! Graduated in 2002. Thanks for not jinxing the Sox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell87512 View Post
Ohhhhhh how sweet!!!!! I love all the pictures! He sure didn't waste any trip time getting to the engagement! Your ring is beautiful.

Can't wait to hear about O'hana!
Thank you! I hope he posts about it but he wanted to get it done and over with so he could enjoy the week without worrying about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnkrbelle565 View Post
You got my dream engagement!!!! Congrats!!! Can't wait to read more!
Well I hope you have one there too! Its very magical especially with the Photopass photographer there to capture the special moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by happybratpack View Post
Congrats!!! LOVE the proposal with the Photopass too!

Great report...
Thank you for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMari View Post
Congradulations..
Thanks for clearing up your ages.
Thank you!
Aulani: '13
My Latest Invention: The Traffic-eliminator-inator!
A Road Trip Engagement
Best Friends and New Friends - A MAGICal Tale
My First Disney Cruise Trip Report
Old 01-06-2009, 08:21 AM   #32
Jennifer48

O'hana Dinner

We made our way up to the monorail station to head back to the Poly for our O’hana dinner.

Train Station

Our ADR was for 7:40 and it was only 6:30 when we got there. We decided to try to check in early just for grins. If not, we’d wander the resort for awhile, no biggie. Well when I got to the check in counter, we were able to check in. I requested a window table to watch Wishes. She said it would be a bit longer and I said that was fine. It was about a 30 minute wait. That’s ok, I was too busy checking out my ring to care.

Our view

Cousin Mandie was our server. She was so cute. She chatted with us a bit and told us now the whole dinner works. We had only been there for breakfast before.

Welcome Bread

Mixed Greens with Honey-Lime Dressing...so good!

The O’hana singer (I forget his name!) asked if anyone was celebrating a wedding, anniversary or engagement. My arm shot up unexpectedly and he called me and DF up. Now I hate being the center of attention so I have no idea why my hand went up. I guess I was just excited to be in that category!

We walked up with another couple who was celebrating their 30th wedding anniversary. He asked the woman what advice she could give to us. She said to just make sure you are marrying "the one." I thought that was kind of odd but I just replied “oh I know he is” awwwwwwwwwwwww. He then began to play “Fools Rush In” by Elvis Presley on his ukulele. It was so cute and thankfully people were eating and not really paying any attention to us. .

Dipping Sauces;House Made Peanut Sauce, Chimichurri Sauce, Pineapple Sweet and Sour Sauce

Pork Dumplings & Honey-Coriander Chicken Wings

Veggies & Noodles

Food was fabulous! Too bad we weren’t completely starving or we could have done real damage. But we paced ourselves in order to stick around for Wishes at 8p. It was the best view in the house! It was so romantic watching this from there as the pump in the music. Everyone was actually quiet and listened. I was kind of worried because I had read in others TRs of kids running up to the windows to watch the fireworks and bothering the diners by the windows. Thankfully, that didn’t happen. Actually we didn’t see any kids at all even move from their tables. It was so perfect. I wish I had asked Cousin Mandie to take our picture with the fireworks in the background but she didn’t come by for a while.

I call this our engagement Wishes

Ok now I understand why people rave about the bread pudding. It was delicious! I was reluctant to try it because bread pudding just doesn’t sound appealing to me but I’m glad I tried it. Dan and I finished the whole thing! So much so that we didn't get a picture!

We thanked Cousin Mandie for everything and she congratulated us again on our engagement and off we went to gas up the car at the nearest Hess station. Can you believe that was the cheapest gas we saw on our whole trip? We figured since it was on Disney property that it would be so much more. Yay!

Once back at AKL around 9:30p, we took more pictures and talked about our eventful day. What a wonderful and memorable first day at the World!

A Road Trip Engagement

Last edited by Jennifer48; 01-06-2009 at 03:17 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2009, 08:34 AM   #33
Lady Lallie
DIS Veteran

Awww, what a perfect evening.

I'm really tempted to try Ohana's now. I have been thinking it over and your description just really makes me want to eat there.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:57 AM   #34
Kimberly815
DIS Veteran
you can call us Mr. and Mrs. ChuckleDoodle!

I had the same chicken wings at the Kona Cafe. They are YUMMY! All the rest of the food looks really good too! I may have to make sure to try O'hana next time!

What a beautiful view of Wishes. . . it makes for the perfect end to a perfect day!

ETA: Do you have any pictures of your itty-bitty AKL room? Just wondering what it looks like in comparison to other rooms there.

Last edited by Kimberly815; 01-06-2009 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:47 AM   #35
happybratpack
Just Maryann :)
Hasn't had a curseless WDW trip in 5 years

What a perfect ending for the perfect day!
Old 01-06-2009, 11:05 AM   #36
lindseynleah
Mouseketeer

I'm onboard!!! Sounds fun so far. We are also in mass and my husband and I have driven to Florida for the past 10 years. I have family in Jacksonville and Tampa and have to say, I love the roadtrips!!! I am not much of a flyer, so the car suits me fine...I can say as we get older they do get more difficult and we are now planning on a stay overnight on the way down and on the way back!! Can't wait to hear more about your exciting trip!!!!
Old 01-06-2009, 11:15 AM   #37
lindseynleah
Mouseketeer

congrats on your engagement!!! That is wonderful and such great pictures too!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer48 View Post
We took the monorail over to MK. I was so happy to be there! I booked this trip last December. Dan and I wanted badly to see all of the holiday decorations after we watched those specials. You know the ones. Samantha Brown’s, the one hosted by Raven, yes, those.

I was so happy we took our pic here today. This was in the main Hub where the flagpole was. This setup was gone the next day as they set up for the Christmas Day Parade that was scheduled to be filmed.

Once inside, we noticed everyone waiting for the 3:00 Parade of Dreams parade so we cut through the stores to make our way up Main Street. Our first priority was lunch since we hadn’t eaten a real meal in over 24 hours! We were going to just use counter service and I wanted to eat somewhere I hadn’t before so we made our way to Adventureland to El Pirata y el Perico for some taco salad. Well, there was a nice sign outside that said ‘El Pirata y el Perico is not serving today. Please enjoy food at Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn in Frontierland.’ Seriously? I didn’t read that anywhere on the DIS or AllEars that it would be closed! The parade was starting in Frontierland too so we were stuck and ended up eating at Pecos Bill’s anyways. Hrumpf. By the way, we were on the Dining Plan also so I kept track of all the prices to see if 2 adults sans children made a difference. I’ll let you know at the end of the report.

I had a taco salad with chocolate chip cookie and Dan had the double cheeseburger and chocolate pudding. They didn't have the chocolate and peanut butter pie! We were shocked and appalled.

Leisure was our plan today. Enjoy the decorations, fill up our pre-purchased PhotoPass CD, fit in a ride/show here and there, and basically just enjoy each other at the Happiest Place on Earth before our dinner at O'hana. Everyone say awww...

We walked around back to Main Street since the parade was coming to an end, and scoped out photographers. **foreshadowing** While walking by Cinderella Castle, Dan said something that kinda made me think; “too bad there weren’t any photographers up by the well.” Why did that make me think? Because Dan just goes with the flow. He lets me plan, and he follows wherever with confidence in me and my fun abilities.

I suggested we head over to ride the TTA to let our lunch settle before doing anything more thrilling. This seems to be a new tradition. I love the TTA, its so relaxing.

On our way to the Tomorrowland entrance, I suggested we stop at the PhotoPass photographer at the Plaza Rose Garden. I made a mental note to come back at MVMCP to take a picture with the Castle all lit with its icicle lights.

After the last shot the photographer says “ok” and Dan replies with, “wait, just one more.”

My classy response “what do you mean ‘one more?’ Let’s go.” I had a park to see! Just then, he gets down on one knee and I LOST IT!

I don’t remember if I breathed at all but I do remember his words to me. Then he pulled out the ring box and asked to be his wife. Of course I said YES! We are in the moment and some fool yells “what did she say?!” I turn around…and say “I said yes!” and there was a gathering of, I’d guess, 15 people all of a sudden and they all broke out into applause.

We gained our composure, gathered our belongings, thanked the photographer profusely for taking as many photos as he could, and left our spot. One woman in line was even crying and her husband says to Dan, “great job!” as if he just made a presentation in front of the class or something .

Here's the ring!

We traveled on the rest of the day. We chatted about how nervous he was and we immediately started calling and texting family and friends. My head was so clouded that I didn’t know what to do! We just wandered around taking more photos and enjoying being an engaged couple for the first time.

I knew I wanted to purchase the Santa Mickey hat so we headed to the Emporium first while on the phone. It was such a strange feeling knowing this momentous occasion just occurred yet we blended in with the crowd that had no idea how special this day was to us. Almost Twilight Zone-esc. Does that make any sense?

This cute older CM was ringing up my purchases and she asked how our day was so far. I showed her the ring; she just about jumped for joy. She said that they have every other pin except for a ‘just engaged’ pin. I was so bummed. That was going to be my next stop, Town Hall. Wouldn’t you know it? When we got back I read on the DIS that they were coming out with new pins for 2009.

I had our stuff shipped back to AKL because we didn’t feel like lugging it around. We bought the hats and a mini monorail for Dan’s son.

Up next, our engagement dinner at O'hana.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:32 AM   #38
Jennifer48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
Awww, what a perfect evening.

I'm really tempted to try Ohana's now. I have been thinking it over and your description just really makes me want to eat there.
The food was really quite delicious. Just make sure you bring your appetite because it is all you can eat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly815 View Post
I had the same chicken wings at the Kona Cafe. They are YUMMY! All the rest of the food looks really good too! I may have to make sure to try O'hana next time!

What a beautiful view of Wishes. . . it makes for the perfect end to a perfect day!

ETA: Do you have any pictures of your itty-bitty AKL room? Just wondering what it looks like in comparison to other rooms there.
I do have pictures of the room. I'll have to upload them to photobucket so I can post them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happybratpack View Post
What a perfect ending for the perfect day!
Thanks for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindseynleah View Post
I'm onboard!!! Sounds fun so far. We are also in mass and my husband and I have driven to Florida for the past 10 years. I have family in Jacksonville and Tampa and have to say, I love the roadtrips!!! I am not much of a flyer, so the car suits me fine...I can say as we get older they do get more difficult and we are now planning on a stay overnight on the way down and on the way back!! Can't wait to hear more about your exciting trip!!!!
You've done that without breaks before? Its so looooooooong! God Bless you! If I do it again, I'll definately take my time and visit more of the "touristy" things along the way. Thanks for reading!
A Road Trip Engagement
Old 01-06-2009, 01:33 PM   #39
squall55
Earning My Ears

Talking

Hello All,

Thanks for reading my fiancee's trip report Sorry it took so long for me to jump in and post.

To say I was nervous and stressed was an understatement. For weeks I had been trying to figure out just how to do it. I went through many different scenarios in my head on how and where. I had bought the ring in the beginning of November and since that day started trying to figure out how. As each day got closer and closer to the trip the more nervous and stressed I got. I knew it would be at the Magic Kingdom and I knew it would be the first day we were there, but that's all I had figured out.

When we left Savannah, I still had not figured it out. The trip from Savannah to the MK, I could not stop thinking about how and getting more nervous about it the closer we got. Then we got to the MK and we started getting Photopass pictures taking and ran into another problem. The ring was in my jacket pocket and the case it was in was huge. So if we got to close in a picture she might actually feel the ring case. So I had to stand funny, so that she would not feel it.

Ultimately it became a last minute decision where I would do it. I knew I wanted a Photopass person there so we could capture the moment. So as we walking around just enjoying the park, we passed the Rose Plaza Garden. There was a short line so we hopped in.

The photographer had started taking our pictures and as he was finishing up, it just happened. He said he was finished and I said "Hang on, can we take one more picture?"

It was not even a place I had thought of but It could not have turned out better. It was perfect and something that I will always remember as long as I live. Nice and sunny, with the castle as a perfect background. It was wonderful.

It was a huge relief to have asked her and the stress and nervousness was gone.

One thing to add and it was something Jen mentioned about being Twilight Zone-esc. I have never her seen so dazed in Disney or anywhere else for that matter. She is organized and knows exactly what she wants to do, where to go, etc. But after I asked her to marry me, she was totally lost for the rest of the day. She was on It was such a wonderful thing to see. It made a special time that much more special. Something I will never forget.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:18 PM   #40
tinkerbell87512
I would love to hear all about these secrets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squall55 View Post
Hello All,

Thanks for reading my fiancee's trip report Sorry it took so long for me to jump in and post.

To say I was nervous and stressed was an understatement. For weeks I had been trying to figure out just how to do it. I went through many different scenarios in my head on how and where. I had bought the ring in the beginning of November and since that day started trying to figure out how. As each day got closer and closer to the trip the more nervous and stressed I got. I knew it would be at the Magic Kingdom and I knew it would be the first day we were there, but that's all I had figured out.

When we left Savannah, I still had not figured it out. The trip from Savannah to the MK, I could not stop thinking about how and getting more nervous about it the closer we got. Then we got to the MK and we started getting Photopass pictures taking and ran into another problem. The ring was in my jacket pocket and the case it was in was huge. So if we got to close in a picture she might actually feel the ring case. So I had to stand funny, so that she would not feel it.

Ultimately it became a last minute decision where I would do it. I knew I wanted a Photopass person there so we could capture the moment. So as we walking around just enjoying the park, we passed the Rose Plaza Garden. There was a short line so we hopped in.

The photographer had started taking our pictures and as he was finishing up, it just happened. He said he was finished and I said "Hang on, can we take one more picture?"

It was not even a place I had thought of but It could not have turned out better. It was perfect and something that I will always remember as long as I live. Nice and sunny, with the castle as a perfect background. It was wonderful.

One thing to add and it was something Jen mentioned about being Twilight Zone-esc. I have never her seen so dazed in Disney or anywhere else for that matter. She is organized and knows exactly what she wants to do, where to go, etc. But after I asked her to marry me, she was totally lost for the rest of the day. She was on It was such a wonderful thing to see. It made a special time that much more special. Something I will never forget.
Oh my gosh you are so sweet!!! You sound like such an awesome guy and such a cute couple!!!! Congratulations!

June 1992 August 2000 February 2002 July 2004 July 2005 June 2006 July 2007 October 2007 May 2008 & DCL November 2008 May 2009 Sept/Oct 2010 & DCL November 2011 August 2013 October 2013 Tower of Terror 10 Miler!
Old 01-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #41
Tnkrbelle565
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer48 View Post
Well I hope you have one there too! Its very magical especially with the Photopass photographer there to capture the special moment
I don't think I'll be getting a castle engagement...especially since I've been married for 6 1/2 years!!!

BTW, don't know if you noticed but we are neighbors...I'm in North Andover

Your O'Hana report just made me so hungry...those appetizers were to die for!

Quote:
Hello All,

Congrasts! You did a wonderful job!!! You've made a lot of your wife-to-be's readers very jealous!!!!!
Old 01-07-2009, 08:11 AM   #42
Kimberly815
DIS Veteran
you can call us Mr. and Mrs. ChuckleDoodle!

Quote:
Hello All,

Great job Dan! It was definitely a wonderful proposal!
Old 01-07-2009, 09:14 AM   #43
Jennifer48

Quote:
Hello All,

Awwwww honey that is so sweet! Thanks for posting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnkrbelle565 View Post
I don't think I'll be getting a castle engagement...especially since I've been married for 6 1/2 years!!!

BTW, don't know if you noticed but we are neighbors...I'm in North Andover
Hi neighbor!! Sorry! I didn't realize you were already married! Well there is always a vow-renewal right?!
A Road Trip Engagement
Old 01-07-2009, 09:34 AM   #44
Jennifer48

Grand Floridan-Gingerbread House

Tuesday December 2, 2008

Phone alarm rang at 7am and we didn’t crawl out of bed until 7:20a. We were super excited to be able to look outside at any animals that could be grazing in our mini-savannah. There were a few out today.

This deer was playing chase with one of the zebras

Showered, dressed and out the door at 9:30am. Today was our leisure day. Plan was to visit the monorail resorts to look at all the Christmas decorations and then MVMCP later that evening.

We decided to drive to the Grand Floridian and take the monorail from there. When I got to the gate, I told the security woman that we came to see the decorations. She gave me this giant smile and directed me to the visitor’s lot. It was like a mile from the front door! All I kept thinking was if I was walking this far and it was in those monsoon rainstorms in the summer, I’d be soaking wet. Thankfully for us, it was only a bit windy which was cool and we skipped to see the house.

Entrance Decorations

Gingerbread House!

Can you see the little Mickey's?!

Dan’s goal was to eat a shingle from the little store inside the giant gingerbread house. See what a mean by being influenced by those specials?! There weren’t as many people here as I expected which was nice so we got to look around the house searching for all the Hidden Mickey’s. I believe we found 9 of them. Dan got his shingle and was very happy. It was good but not great. I’m not a fan of gingerbread much.

Front of Shingle

Back of Shingle

Another view

We said good-bye to the GF and headed out to the Contemporary. On the way out, I saw this:

A Road Trip Engagement
Old 01-07-2009, 09:50 AM   #45
Jennifer48

Contemporary/AKL

New Bay Lake Tower (I wrote BLT but that made me hungry )

Next stop was the Contemporary which was lacking in holiday spirit if you ask me. We did see a tree outside on the Bay Lake side but we didn’t go out to take pictures of it. This was really all we found.

See the Hidden Mickey's?

Bored and disappointed, we jumped back on the monorail to the GF where we ventured back to AKL for lunch. Dan had pizza, I had the chicken nuggets and we got Zebra domes (yummo!) and cheesecake for dessert which we didn’t eat and took back to the room for later. Gotta love the mini fridge in the deluxe resorts!

This is when it really hit me that I was getting married. I kept telling Dan, “I can’t believe I’m going to be a bride.” It just wasn’t making sense in my head. Still really doesn’t .

Since we had time to kill before MVMCP, we decided to do the Passporter Treasure Hunt. I brought this book on my last DCL and we had so much fun finding all the little details that you usually overlook. I highly recommend this book!

While outside at one of the outlooks, we chatted up with one of the cast members. She looked so bored, we felt bad. There was no one around and she was there to answer any questions about the animals. She is from Africa and it was only about 55°F so it was a bit chilly. It was funny how she said she loved this weather but hated it in the summer when you were scorching and melting even in the shade! Earlier that morning we saw a zebra getting chased by a deer outside our balcony and Dan asked her about it. She said they were just playing. You’ll know when the zebra doesn’t want to play anymore because he doesn’t run away and gives the deer a look like ‘ya right I’m not playing with you.’ She was great and I’m sorry I didn’t get her name.

Zawadi Marketplace had our package so we got that and returned to our room to nap. We wanted to be at MK at 4p to get into the party and enjoy the festivities.

Up next..MVMCP!!
A Road Trip Engagement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: