Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2009, 02:30 PM   #1
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side
very impulsive, which doesn’t bode well for our credit cards!
They don't call me "Clever Claire" for nothing!

Thumbs up Getting ill with the Maguire's!!! Trip report, Day 4…..Seaworld

Cast:

Me = Claire (33), massive Disney fan, chief planner…(a little on the OCD side ) obsessive shopper, addicted to scrapbooking and very impulsive which doesn’t bode well for our credit cards!

Hubby = Lee (34), not a massive Disney fan but still enjoys it, adrenaline junkie, easy going and the sensible half of our partnership!

4th December 2008.

We were awake around 6.30am. Lee went down to Starbucks and got us both a Latte. I was feeling pretty groggy so dozed in bed for an hour then we both got showered & for our day at Seaworld!

We arrived and parked Sally in the second row , we got to the turnstiles just as they opened. I went straight to the Guest Services desk to check in for our Predators tour & Dine with Shamu that we have booked for today. Meanwhile Lee took some pics of the Christmas tree just inside the park entrance.

I also took a photo of Manta, the new ride they are building right by the entrance.

We had a while before the Predators Tour started at 10.45 so we decided to start heading towards the Shamu stadium as that is where the meeting point is & to grab a snack somewhere along the way. We stopped off at Turtle Cove & then the Stingray Lagoon first. After checking the times of the restaurants on the park map they don’t actually open until 10am.

We wouldn’t have time to eat before our tour so instead we went on the Polar Express Experience, which has replaced Wild Arctic (just for the Christmas period).

It was really good and showed a short version of the film, then as you exit and walk through the Beluga Whale, Polar Bears & Walrus exhibits they had lots of Christmas trees & everything was signposted to the North Pole.

Then near the end was Father Christmas!! It was really sweet and all the children nearby were so excited and queued to meet Santa. Unfortunately we were in a hurry to get to the meeting point for our tour so we couldn’t really stop to take pics at the exhibits like we usually do.

We rushed to the meeting point and we were the first to arrive. Our guide appeared shortly after her name was Sand, she was from New York. We waited about 5 mins for the rest of the group to show up. Two ladies arrived, they were from Atlanta & finally a family of 6 (from the UK, somewhere up north but I can’t remember where) arrived to complete our group. We started by going into the backstage area of the Shamu Stadium, Sand told us lots about the Killer whales and the differences between living in the wild & in captivity, we also learned a little about the training program they run and also how they care for the whales. It was very informative and we got to see the whales swimming about in the tanks behind the stage, we were able to take photos but we weren’t allowed to get too close to the pools though.

We then walked over to the Shark area, we went through a gate to the staff area and through a back door into one of the buildings. There was a big mural painted on the wall of lots of different types of sharks. Our guide talked about the differences between shark species. There was also a tank with two sharks in & we were allowed to stroke them! They were about two foot long & felt quite rough which was surprising as we all thought they would be smooth.

Here is a pic of the type of shark but I haven’t got a pic of the actual one we touched…no idea why! I think we must have been so excited to touch it that we forgot!

Sand then spoke about how a surfer can be mistaken for prey….ie a turtle or a Sealion and that is why marine experts believe that sharks attack humans. You can tell by the painting they had on the wall how it easily a surfer could be mistaken from a sharks perspective!

It was then time for the last part of the tour, we got to go upstairs to the top of the viewing tank. It was interesting seeing it from this angle as we had previously only seen it from the Sharks Grill restaurant and from the viewing tunnel. We were on a three foot wide ledge with no barrier between us & the water and could clearly see all the sharks swimming below.

The photos are a bit dark but you can just about see some sharks and in the second one you can even make out the people in the viewing tunnel.

It was just over an hour to do the tour and I thought it was worth every penny, it cost just $12 per person! I would highly recommend it.

We were hungry by the time the tour finished and headed to Voyagers for lunch. Lee had BBQ rotisserie chicken with fries & corn on the cob. I had a slice of pepperoni pizza & fries. Mine was ok but lee's chicken was really pink and he didn't eat much of it.

Cont'd below.....

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - 14n WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - 12n EBTA, Sept 2014 - 14n WBTA, May 2015 - 15n EBTA, Sept 2015 - West Coast Road trip & Disneyland
Pinky166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #2
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side

We had a look in a few of the gift shops as we made our way to Pacific Point Preserve where I fed the Sealions & Seals. I love doing this and can easily spend a fortune feeding them! I got 4 trays for $15 – expensive but it has to be done! Then Lee got 4 trays & he fed them too.

Having a power nap…..

Just as Lee finished & went to wash his hands I noticed that the staff had wheeled out a trolley with lots of buckets of food on up at the top of the exhibit, they were chucking the fish in by the bucket load and it was a massive feeding frenzy. We ran up a bit closer and took some photos it was so much fun watching them!

We headed over towards the Shamu stadium as Believe was starting soon. We had a few games in the arcade on our way. We got to the stadium just as they started letting people in, we grabbed a bottle of water & a Churro each and took our seat. It was a great show as always, I never tire of watching it. They had an 18 month old performing with her mum – too cute!!

After the show it was time for our Dine with Shamu reservation so we walked to ‘The Cove’ which is the entrance point and waited to be checked in & seated. We had table no 13 and it was right against the edge in the middle! Perfect! It pays to book on the day of release. Our server took our drinks order, Budweiser for Lee & coke for me (I was really dosed up on cold & flu tablets) – all food & drinks are included in the price, even the beer. We got some food from the buffet…I should point out that I am really fussy and didn’t really eat anything so I can’t really comment on the food but everyone around us seem to be enjoying it all and going back for more. I did however have some of the deserts, they had lots of mini cakes, chocolate covered strawberries, cookies & sweets for the kids.

Whilst we were all being seated and getting food the trainers put a large blue plastic disk in the water, approx 6 foot in diameter & weighed 100lbs! They then put lots of fish around the edge with barely an inch of the tail hanging off the side of the disk. They then floated it into the middle of the tank and two of the killer whales spent ages pushing it around and gently getting the fish off of it. It was incredible to see how gentle they can be.

One of them got a little bored after a while and tried a different approach…..

Once everyone had been seated & was eating they had a trainer come out and introduce a whale, Tillicom (she is their largest killer whale & the one who does the tail splashes during the shows) we were so pleased that it was Tilly as back in 2003 we did a Trainer for a day experience and she was the whale we met up close – real close!!!

They told us lots of interesting facts about all the whales and Tillicom did lots of jumps, they also sent her over to the edge in various positions so we could all get a closer look & photos.

She was so close here that I could have reached out and touched her (but obviously you are not allowed to.)

You also have the trainers come around to your table and answer any questions you may have. It is a great experience and I would highly recommend it. Cost $42 per person.

Once we had finished it was almost time for the Christmas Special Shamu show….Miracles! I will include this in my report for Day 6 as it was so good we saw it twice!

When the show finished it was park closing time and we headed to the park exit via the Waterfront area to see all the Christmas decorations lit up….it was so pretty. Again I will post pics on Day 6.

We got back to the hotel at 7.30pm and although it was early I had a really bad sore throat & headache so we just chilled in the room watching TV and downloading all the photos to the laptop. I feel asleep about 9.30pm.

Coming soon……Day 5 – SHOPPING!!!!!

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - 14n WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - 12n EBTA, Sept 2014 - 14n WBTA, May 2015 - 15n EBTA, Sept 2015 - West Coast Road trip & Disneyland
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2009, 02:57 PM   #3
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

Great photos Claire, especially the one of the seal looking straight at the camera.

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
wickesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
CustardTart

I am sooo proud, happy, relieved and impressed - it's a great day...

Awesome photos, Claire - can I be cheeky and ask what camera you use?

Looking forward to hearing more about Miracles BTW...

We did the Dine with Shamu experience a couple of years ago and loved it...
Grand Floridian Resort & Spa - Christmas 1998 * Dolphin/Vero Beach - Easter 2000 * Polynesian - August 2001 * Grand Floridian Resort & Spa - August 2004 * Beach Club/DCL Wonder - May 2005 * Grand Californian Hotel - NYE 2005 * Polynesian - August 2006 * DCL Magic Western Caribbean - September 2007 * Yacht Club - October 2007 * Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa - December 2007 * Villas at Wilderness Lodge/DCL Wonder Double Dip - May 2008 * DCL Magic Mexican Riviera/Disneyland Hotel - August 2008 * Boardwalk Villas - October 2008 * Animal Kingdom Villas/Hard Rock Hotel Club - Easter 2009 * Bay Lake Tower/DCL Magic Eastern Caribbean & Tortola/Villas at Wilderness Lodge - September 2009 * Bay Lake Tower - June 2010 * DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic - September 2010 * Old Key West - October 2010 * Sequoia Lodge/Paris - November 2010 * Boardwalk Villas/DCL Dream Inaugural Cruise - January 2011 * Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa/Villas at Wilderness Lodge - November 2011 * Boardwalk Villas - July 2012 * Animal Kingdom Villas/DCL Fantasy Western Caribbean - November 2012 * Boardwalk Villas/Bay Lake Tower - January 2014...
CustardTart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:05 PM   #5
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustardTart View Post
Awesome photos, Claire - can I be cheeky and ask what camera you use?

Looking forward to hearing more about Miracles BTW...

We did the Dine with Shamu experience a couple of years ago and loved it...
Not at all cheeky hun. It is a Canon EOS 20D, it is a couple of years old now the newer version is the 40D I think.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:07 PM   #6
PoppyAnna
Despite the end of tWW I'm still crazy about Josh Lyman

Great photos Claire, like me I think you enjoy your photography?
Not the biggest fan of Seaworld myself but I can see you had a really enjoyable day - Polar Express sounds fun
1982 WDW off site * May 2001 WDW off site * May 2005 DLRP * May 2007 WDW off site * Oct 2007 WDW off site * May 2009 DLRP * DLRP Christmas 09 * April 2011 3 wks Emerald Island, 3nt Dream cruise & Miami Beach * November 2011 SSR & VWL
PoppyAnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:51 AM   #7
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

Fab photos Claire, i love the sealions

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:20 AM   #8
jjk

Pete and I wait and watch some lovely baby lizards
I have always booked myself
"Play Up Pompey"

fantastic photos Claire

2000 Disneyland paris 2003 Ramada inn 2004 Quality inn plaza2005 Cumbrian lakes2006 Emerald Island July and December2007 Emerald Island May and July2008 Emerald Island and Contemporary Resort2009 Saratoga Springs 2010 Animal Kingdom lodge2011HRH Animal KingdomLodge 2012Holiday inn Miami ocean front /Animal Kingdom lodge
jjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:00 AM   #9
wicket2005
Hasn't got a clue what a tag is
Christmassyfyed, yes I have had a glass of wine judging by that spelling

Thanks for posting, I have been waiting for this report since you finished your last one. I am so pleased you went to Sea World as for the first time in December we missed Sea World out with the December holiday being a bonus holiday and saving costs plus only going for 10 days. So I was especially pleased to see the Xmas tree and other festive decorations as I would have liked to have seen them.

Looking forward to your next one.

1996, 1998, 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008x2, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014
wicket2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #10
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side

Thank you all for your kind comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppyAnna View Post
Great photos Claire, like me I think you enjoy your photography?
Not the biggest fan of Seaworld myself but I can see you had a really enjoyable day - Polar Express sounds fun
Both Lee & I love taking pictures Joanne, we take thousands but most end up getting deleted as we are not very good. Infact when we were in Orlando we talked about maybe doing a photography course but haven't had time to look into it yet.

Last edited by Pinky166; 01-02-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:36 AM   #11
florida sun
Mrs Christopher Eccleston wannabe
Don't you know who I am ??? I was on Dr Who
I'm dizzy just reading

DISboards Moderator

Brilliant day and stunning photos, sorry to hear you were not feeling too well

florida sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:02 PM   #12
jockey
Repeat after me....I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's!!!!!!

Great pics, we went to dine with Sahmu last year and loved it. We were pleasently suprised by the food
Old 01-03-2009, 09:56 AM   #13
thelittlemermaid83
My reign will be a super-awesome thing
I will just live in suspense
I'm officially crazy

Wonderful photos Claire.

I love Seaworld. Can't wait to hear all about the Shamu show.
thelittlemermaid83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #14
The Fetherstons
DIS Veteran

Claire your photos are fab, love the christams trees

MY ICE BUDDY IS MICHELLE - SNOWYGIRLS
Me (35) DH Craig (37) DS Adam (7)

1980 Disney0ff Site 1993/7 Disney Offsite, 2001 Honeymoon ASMusic
2005/6 ASMovies, 2007 Pop Century 2008 CBR, 2009 Tuscany Villa
The Fetherstons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:36 PM   #15
Snowy-girls
Did you speak to a 'human being'?
As you can see, all I have is a load of gobble-de-gook writing

Great update Claire,love your pics especially the seal-i love them.
Another churro lover here-i can't get enough of them when i'm over there.x.

Sweet Kitty Dreams La-La,Smudge,Sam+Max.Together Again.11:3:94-20:5:08.x.x.29:4:93-17:3:09.x.x.29:4:93-21:7:10.x.x.11:3:94-2:3:12.x.x.

NOV90Sheraton Anaheim CaliforniaSEP93Quality Inn I-DriveSEP95Holiday Inn I-DriveSEP97Castle Inn+Suites AnaheimSEP98-Best Western AnaheimAUG03Quality Inn I-DriveApr/May04Holiday Inn I-DriveApr09Embassy Suites I-Drive SouthApr11Quality Inn Plaza+Pop.Aug13Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,CSR+AKL With Free QSDP.AUG15Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,RPR+21 nights at OKW With Free DDP.
Snowy-girls is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: