Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2014, 10:39 AM   #1
ADisneyQueen
DIS Veteran

I'm so mad about dd's senior pics

I can't put any of them on facebook to share with friends and family. The photographer has put them on her web page and I have a password to view them but you can't "share" them, it's disabled. I did give the password to some family, but dd wants them for her twitter and facebook. That's what all the kids/ moms are doing. Photographer doesn't sell the copyrights to the pics either. We are only allowed to buy prints. If I had know this, I wouldn't have chosen her. I just assumed I could put them on facebook b/c all the other photographers in the area allow it, even though some have a watermark. BTW, this lady has 20+ years experience and is the one of the best in the area.
Christmas 2009-CBR and RI Seaworld,June 2012-POP
Aug 2013- CSR and AOA
ADisneyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:53 AM   #2
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADisneyQueen View Post
I can't put any of them on facebook to share with friends and family. The photographer has put them on her web page and I have a password to view them but you can't "share" them, it's disabled. I did give the password to some family, but dd wants them for her twitter and facebook. That's what all the kids/ moms are doing. Photographer doesn't sell the copyrights to the pics either. We are only allowed to buy prints. If I had know this, I wouldn't have chosen her. I just assumed I could put them on facebook b/c all the other photographers in the area allow it, even though some have a watermark. BTW, this lady has 20+ years experience and is the one of the best in the area.

What photographer did "all the kids/moms" use? Maybe book a sitting with them.

TY Kook
Trip planning is half the fun! Ad astra per aspera ~Ginny~
gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2014, 10:54 AM   #3
xlxo
DIS Veteran

To clarify... is this a Disney photographer?

If a private photographer.... what was on the contract? Was there a different price for the digital files?
xlxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:57 AM   #4
AnAmericanInDisney
Mouseketeer

That's usually in the contract. Some people charge extra. Our photographer did not.
AnAmericanInDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:03 AM   #5
ADisneyQueen
DIS Veteran

OP here: This is a private photographer. There was not contract, I think she forgot to give me one as it does mention contracts in her website. I am going to ask her about digital copies but they are not in her price lists (BTW the prices are so much higher than the other photographers!)

I am thinking about hiring a different one in the spring and just order a few pics from this one. It's hard to pick the pics b/c on the website they are very small pics to look at and when I increase the size they are fuzzy.. I guess I will have to go back to her office to see them larger.
Aug 2013- CSR and AOA
Old 11-18-2014, 11:03 AM   #6
kamik86
DIS Veteran

What are the size of the images on the website? If they are large enough (the side you want them on facebook/twitter or larger) on your screen you can just printscreen and save them.

The images won't be high resolution images that way, you wouldn't be able to print from those files and have it come out decently, but it gives you digitial files to use digitally.

You could also scan your prints to get digital files. Again your prints will only come out at a resolution directly related to how big the photo you scanned was, so again you couldn't decide to go to Target or shutterfly and get larger images printed but it would give you files to use online.

Some photographers charge more for the high resolution (the ones that you get directly from the camera that are really large) images. Because those images can be used to make your own prints with other places for much cheaper then your photographer is probably charging. So once they sell the high res images they know you are 99% likely not ordering anything else on those pictures.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:03 AM   #7
MOpGrad2013
DIS Veteran

The regular school photographer started putting a "@" over all the proofs. Even when we changed the backgrounds on the website, it still remained on there so I was unable to see whether we should get the face touch up package. Erred on the side of caution and added the $3 charge.

The church photographer also has a watermark. She gave us facebook photos for free with our minimal order ($15). Perhaps, you can get a very small order and receive the photos.

OP, I am sorry for your disappointment, but I'm afraid this is the future.

MOpGrad2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:04 AM   #8
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!

Are you sure that posting a pic on a PERSONAL web-site is a breach of copyright????

I know that one cannot copy photos (have to buy prints from the photographer)... And, especially could not use them for any official business or reason.

But, how can they control what one posts on their own personal web-site??? Hhhhhmmm???? Do you not have these digital? Do you have access to a good scanner?
Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:05 AM   #9
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Most of the photographers around here just ask you to share with the watermark intact and not to crop the photo. They let you share them as a great way to advertise.

I usually ask after I order prints if I can share them. Its it possible that she wants to make sure you order from her first? I could understand that as it wouldn't be hard to share the picture, then download it, crop it and print it without her permission. She would lose a sale that way.

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:11 AM   #10
kamik86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing on a star View Post
Are you sure that posting a pic on a PERSONAL web-site is a breach of copyright????

I know that one cannot copy photos (have to buy prints from the photographer)... And, especially could not use them for any official business or reason.

But, how can they control what one posts on their own personal web-site??? Hhhhhmmm???? Do you not have these digital? Do you have access to a good scanner?
Once you buy a print I don't think so, because you can just scan your image and use it.

Its the high resolution images that get protected most of the time.

I know for my wedding photos I ordered one package with very very few prints but a CD with all my high resolution images and a signed letter stating that the images are mine and can be copied/printed as I please. I can get as many prints as I want for as long as I want without having to go through him. I made myself a shutterfly book out of my pictures.

If I ever have another event where I want formal professional pictures I'll use him again and do the same thing.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:13 AM   #11
JanaDee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADisneyQueen View Post
Does she have a Facebook page where she shares images? DS's photographer posted images on their Facebook page a couple days after his photos were taken and I was able to share them on my Facebook page via their page.
JanaDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:39 AM   #12
ADisneyQueen
DIS Veteran

The size of the photos on the website is 2 1/2 inches by 1 3/4 inches. Some photos are a little bigger like 3 x 3. They are so small and many are full body length shots so I can barely see what I want to order.
I did just email her asking her how I could share these on facebook. You would think she would like the free publicity. My daughter is a very pretty girl and could get more business for her.
I will try some of your suggestions. My DH had mentioned scanning them.
Aug 2013- CSR and AOA
Old 11-18-2014, 11:49 AM   #13
JanaDee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamik86 View Post
Once you buy a print I don't think so, because you can just scan your image and use it.

Its the high resolution images that get protected most of the time.

I know for my wedding photos I ordered one package with very very few prints but a CD with all my high resolution images and a signed letter stating that the images are mine and can be copied/printed as I please. I can get as many prints as I want for as long as I want without having to go through him. I made myself a shutterfly book out of my pictures.

If I ever have another event where I want formal professional pictures I'll use him again and do the same thing.
Unless you have a copyright release, you can't scan, download or copy any of the pictures.
JanaDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:19 PM   #14
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

From a legal and moral angle, no one should use images they haven't paid for, unless they get permission from the photographer.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:30 PM   #15
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

I would talk to the photographer and let her know that you assumed that use of digital pictures on Facebook and email would be part of the package you bought. Let her know that this is an important aspect of these senior photos and ask for permission to use them in that manner.

Have you paid for any pictures yet, or just the sitting fee?

If you are truly unhappy with what she's offering and have only paid the sitting fee, I'd tell her that you'll have to decline buying anything from her and will just have to do another sitting with another photographer. See if that changes her tune at all. And go through with it if she won't offer up any digital rights.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: