Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2014, 02:13 PM   #1
TheIncredibles!
Winner (?) of the Crazy MIL Award!

Idiot neighbors

We have a Facebook page for the community I live in. One moron just posted saying that her "outside cat" had kittens on July 4th and she found where her "outside cat" had them on her property back at the end of July and now that those kittens are 8 weeks old and she has homes lined up for them she is having trouble finding them and wants to know if anybody has seen them.

I feel like responding and telling her that she should have been worried about them 8 weeks ago and by now they have either died or somebody else found the poor kittens living outside and took them or gave them to somebody else.

And WTH is an "outside cat"??????
TheIncredibles! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:18 PM   #2
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

In the city an outside cat is one the owners don't care about. When we found a feral cat and it's babies in our laundry room we brought them in to live and got the babies used to people and being touched. Most likely those kittens are feral now

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-20-2014, 02:29 PM   #3
superme80
DIS Veteran

In our defense we always had outdoor cats growing up. They were neighborhood cats who adopted us. We took them to the vet, fed them, and let them sleep in the basement when it rained or was cold. They mainly stuck to our yard, but would make the neighborhood rounds.

Now this person should have kept better tabs on the kitties before promising them to home!
DH-42 ME-34 DS #1-5 DS #2 3 DS #3 11 months old
superme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:32 PM   #4
pls5286
DIS Veteran

I live on a farm. We have outdoor cats to help control the farm pest population...ie rats. We do have an indoor cat too which helps control the outdoor pest population that runs inside whenever the fields are bush hogged (cut).
Old 08-20-2014, 02:37 PM   #5
kmb584
DIS Veteran

Why in the world would she assume that the kittens would still be there after 8 weeks?

Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:33 PM   #6
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIncredibles! View Post

And WTH is an "outside cat"??????
A outside cat is one that belongs to irresponsible pet owners. I am so glad that in my area we do not have anyone that thinks it is ok to let a cat go outside and do its business in neighbors shrubs gardens etc.
At work we do have 3 feral cats-my job backs up to a wooded area and there are a few cats that live in there and we feed them. We have trapped each one and had it spayed or neutered and then released it back there again. You can't possibly make any of them inside cats at this point but at least they won't be reproducing and we do make sure they are fed.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:36 PM   #7
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

One pregnant outside cat can turn in dozens pretty quickly.
okeydokey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:42 PM   #8
MEK
DIS Veteran

I found a stray cat who had 5 kittens in my back yard. We found the kittens and brought the mother and kittens inside. I built them a hut out of cardboard boxes, like one I saw described in a book on raising kittens. The kittens and mom basically stayed in there, in my laundry room, until the kittens were eating solid food. At this point the kittens starting using the litter box and the mom spent more time outside, but would come back in to nurse.

I took the mom to the vet, had her spayed, and got all her shots. I found a home for her and separate homes for the rest of the kittens. Because I had two of my own elderly cats, I could not keep any of the kittens, which was sad.

It was a great experience for my kids to see the kittens for 24 hours post birth to 8 weeks old.

That's what you do when you want to raise kittens and find them a home.

Kittens have to be held by humans or they will be feral. Those 8 week old kittens are now feral cats. Your neighbor did not handle the situation well.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:43 PM   #9
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat

You are right; your neighbor is a moron.

Outside, un-spayed cat = tons and tons of kittens.

Quote:
In seven years, one female cat and her offspring can theoretically produce 420,000 cats.

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:45 PM   #10
bdcp
DIS Veteran

My DS and DDIL's cat was the result of a feral cat having a litter. Someone my son works with owns a farm and people dump animals there. He found the mother and the litter when the kittens were only a couple of weeks old. He took them from the mother at about 4 weeks (before she taught them to hunt, etc) and had the mother spayed and released her as she was really feral and wanted nothing to do with people. The kittens are all indoor cats now and do not act the least bit feral. By 8 weeks, the mother has taught those kittens to be feral and hunt, fear people, etc. They also don't get taught to use a litter box. My son's friend taught the kittens how to use one plus he has another indoor cat so they had an example. DS and DDIL have a dog they rescued almost 2 years ago and they get along great.

I can't imagine why anyone would think those kittens would still be there at 8 weeks. They're probably roaming the area unless a fox or something got a hold of them.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
bdcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:00 PM   #11
Luv0fDisney
DIS Veteran

my neighbor has 2 cats he lets out every day but i see that he keeps them inside at night. we have other cats roaming around all the time though. not too many though.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:10 PM   #12
LisaInNc
Succulent Wild Woman

To further her idiot behavior why not ask WHY was her "outside" cat not spayed? It's just common sense. If you can't afford there are different programs that will help.

Too many animals die in shelters for people to be so irresponsible.

Lisa
LisaInNc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:10 PM   #13
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

We have 3 outside cats.

All three are spayed/neutered, UTD on their shots, fed daily (in addition to the many mice/moles/birds etc they catch and eat). They were born outside in the barn, raised in the barn, and have lived in the barn for 11 years. They can go in to the hay storage loft or in to my office in the barn (door is always open and their are cat beds/blankets in there) anytime they want. They're spoiled rotten, love to be pet, follow me around all day...but I'm allergic to cats so they have to stay out. I've never seen them leave the property.

When we bought the farm, we inherited their mother (who was pregnant with them at the time). When she had her kittens, she hid them in a wall in the barn and kept moving them to "hide" them from me. So I moved the kittens into my office and blocked the door so the mom could come and go but the babies had to stay in my office. The momma cat had been pretty disinterested in people prior to this but after watching me help care for her babies, she really warmed up to me. After she weaned them, we had her spayed. Then we had all the kittens spayed. We kept two and the other two kittens my sister took and made them apartment cats. Her kittens have had a host of health problems...skin issues, allergies, intestinal issues, diabetes (they're so FAT). My cats have been healthy as horses.

Last edited by Jennasis; 08-20-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Jennasis is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: