Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 09:16 AM   #1
HappyTogether
Mouseketeer

Thumbs up Fed-up Documentary!!!

Got to see the documentary "Fed-Up" last night about the effects of toxic sugar on our society. It is so great and an eye-opener. I hope someone has the guts to go after industry the way they did after big tobacco!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7A2RylUTiw
Old 05-10-2014, 09:44 AM   #2
denisenh
All I can do is lie down
It has a thing hanging off the end
When i get the urge to show off, a tiny voice inside my head says "resist the urge". So i shut my mouth and stand still.

Thanks for that! I find so many foods way too sweet so I agree that there is too much sugar in most processed or "messed with" food and beverages.
Find a good source of drinking water and basic fresh foods, meals from scratch and we will be much better off than if we are consuming fancy trendy this or that.

I think people want to fit in and be part of the group, for example star bucks drinkers.

For pete sake, just grab a cup of water, do yourself a favor. Body fuel doesn't have to be entertainment.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-10-2014, 09:56 AM   #3
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

Soda carry's way to much sugar in a can . I like the 10 sodas which is limited on the sugar. I drink one cup of regular coffee with trivia. To many kids are getting nothing but sugar high and sit in front of electronics all day. I like cooking fresh at least I know what is in my food. But it all comes down to making your own choices.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:48 PM   #4
mhfrau
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisenh View Post
Thanks for that! I find so many foods way too sweet so I agree that there is too much sugar in most processed or "messed with" food and beverages.
Find a good source of drinking water and basic fresh foods, meals from scratch and we will be much better off than if we are consuming fancy trendy this or that.

I think people want to fit in and be part of the group, for example star bucks drinkers.

For pete sake, just grab a cup of water, do yourself a favor. Body fuel doesn't have to be entertainment.
I haven't seen the documentary, but I'm confused by this statement. What does going to Starbucks have to do with wanting to "fit in"? I go through the drive thru at least 3 mornings a week for a tall, black dark roast coffee, no sugar, no flavoring, nothing. I just like their coffee and I'm not making a pot for just one cup.

I don't think the problem with processed food is that it has too much sugar, salt or whatever. I think the problem is that too many people grab it for convenience and because it's easy. I know I did when worked. I cook mostly from scratch now. I even made my own butter in my KitchenAid last week because I saw it on Pinterest and was curious if it really worked, but since I'm home all day and have a teen who drives, I have lots of time to do it.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:53 PM   #5
ILUVALASKA
DIS Veteran

I gave up sugar last July. I eat nothing with sugar or flour, except for the occasional piece of chocolate. I have dropped from a size 16 to a size 10-12. I also walk one hour a day. Processed sugar is poison. Most people are clueless about this.

me:DHDS

CMU Tartan Family
Old 05-10-2014, 07:26 PM   #6
PeterPanic
DIS Veteran

I have often wondered about why people see a documentary about anything and they assume it's gospel truth. Every Documentary regardless of it's topic is by nature biased. It's only half the story. What was there might be true, but, unless we have a vast background in the topic, we are just taking their word for everything.

I have always felt that too much of anything can be poison. Making people feel like criminals because they like sweetened things is totally without merit. From the moment we are born we start the process of dying. Everything we do and everything we touch, eat or consume can and probably does contribute to our demise. No one has yet to find a way to avoid it. Studies are biased based on what we are trying to prove, so the three types of lies are Lies, Damn Lies and Documentaries. IMHO!
Old 05-10-2014, 08:58 PM   #7
HappyTogether
Mouseketeer

Maybe you should see the film before you decide to put it down.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:17 PM   #8
Tiggeroo
Grammar Nazi
is looking for a funny tag to put under her name
How about..Eats all the peanut butter out of the chocolate ice cream?
Showed BestBuy her Best Pink Lace

what you have to realize is that the problem is not really about having a spoon of sugar in your coffee or making a cake sweetened with sugar for a birthday. It is about the prevalence of sugar currently in everything you eat. Odds are if it is a packaged product it has sugar. Sugar is something that we increase tolerance for so the more sweet you have, the more you want. I am going to see the movie. Um, I take all documentaries with a grain of salt. Of course they have some bias. But I would love to see their viewpoint and look into what they say further. I have been mostly sugar free for several months. Lost weight and feel good. I don't do artificial either.

Flamingo Restored by Dan Murphy
Old 05-10-2014, 09:24 PM   #9
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

"Toxic sugar" is a silly phrase. Added sugar isn't good, obviously. But "toxic"?

See how long it takes for the word to crop up in some new health product. It's a marketing term, same as "superfood".

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR

Last edited by FlightlessDuck; 05-13-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:47 PM   #10
momz
DIS Veteran

I haven't seen the documentary. But my understanding is that natural sugar is not so much the problem in comparison to high fructose corn syrup. There are many many products with this in it that are surprising. Things that make no sense. For example...Apple sauce. The leading brands of applesauce contain high fructose corn syrup. You can get it without, but you have to read the label to know what you are getting. Most salsas have it too. There's no need for it.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:48 PM   #11
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
"Toxic sugar" is a silly phrase. Added sugar isn't good, obviously. But "toxic"?

See how long it takes for the word to crop up in some new health product. It's a marketing term, same as "superfruit".
Don't waste your breath (or I guess in the case of an online forum, time). We've already tried once, remember? http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3266931
Old 05-10-2014, 10:15 PM   #12
HappyTogether
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by momz View Post
I haven't seen the documentary. But my understanding is that natural sugar is not so much the problem in comparison to high fructose corn syrup. There are many many products with this in it that are surprising. Things that make no sense. For example...Apple sauce. The leading brands of applesauce contain high fructose corn syrup. You can get it without, but you have to read the label to know what you are getting. Most salsas have it too. There's no need for it.
Exactly. This toxic poison is why this generation is not expected to outlive their patents. This toxic poison that added sugar is is the reason 1/3 of America s will have diabetes!

People can choose to have heir head in the sand but the companies will have the last word laughing all the way to the bank as they continues he to poison America s with toxic added sugar in our food supply!
Old 05-10-2014, 10:27 PM   #13
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I do wish that people would distinguish between real sugar and HFCS before making blanket statements.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:17 PM   #14
Disneychick75
DIS Veteran

I worry way more about GMO foods and HFCS that I do about sugar. Check labels and you will see a lot of corn sweetener as opposed to cane or beet sugar.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:06 AM   #15
dazeddaisy
Mouseketeer
Barbie put me in the ER!

I think the problem is, we all know about standard products with sugar; cake, fruit etc but there are many products people would be surprised had sugar. Bread for example. How many regular Joe's realise there is sugar in bread?

Then there is the foods like ketchup, that has a boat load of sugar in it. This is something many people may not realise. Many fat free products have lower fat content, but contain more sugar than the full fat version.

It is about education and better labelling. Sugar is everywhere and in places people do not expect to see it. For us to understand, there needs to be clear labelling, and people need to be educated on the new style food pyramid.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: