Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2014, 11:27 AM   #1
anniemae
Either she is eating a delicious meal, or she keeled over in starvation

Birthday party question

My DS5 was invited to a birthday party that was supposed to be last weekend. We replied that we would go, but the birthday boy got sick and the party was canceled. The party was rescheduled for this Saturday and unfortunately we cannot make it.

My question is, should I still get a gift for the birthday boy? Usually we do not get a gift for a classmates party if we decline the invite, but since I accepted the original invite, should I still get a gift and give it to his mom at drop off?
anniemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:29 AM   #2
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniemae View Post
My DS5 was invited to a birthday party that was supposed to be last weekend. We replied that we would go, but the birthday boy got sick and the party was canceled. The party was rescheduled for this Saturday and unfortunately we cannot make it.

My question is, should I still get a gift for the birthday boy? Usually we do not get a gift for a classmates party if we decline the invite, but since I accepted the original invite, should I still get a gift and give it to his mom at drop off?
It would be nice if you still gave a gift, but I don't see anyway it would be expected. Have you already let the parents know you can't make the new date?

Of course, if this is a good friend, that might increase the odds of giving a gift, but again, I don't see it as anything other than "nice to do".
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-14-2014, 11:29 AM   #3
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

Quote:

Yes.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:53 PM   #4
Jedana
Have to learn to budget somehow. Want the latest video game? Save up. Want a new Beyblade? save up. Want a new Dooney and Burke? Grab the credit card out of DH's wallet...

Quote:

I would.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:19 PM   #5
anniemae

Thanks everyone, I guess I'll run out tonight and get a gift! Wasn't sure of the proper protocol, but I guess it makes sense since I was going to go originally.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:38 PM   #6
roliepolieoliefan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks everyone, I guess I'll run out tonight and get a gift! Wasn't sure of the proper protocol, but I guess it makes sense since I was going to go originally.
Im sorry but I wouldnt.

My DD missed a very good friends birthday party this summer and I bought a gift anyhow, but for just a classmate who probably invited the whole class , nope I woukdnt.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:40 PM   #7
anniemae

Yes, it is just a classmate who invited the whole class, not a close friend if that makes a difference in anyones opinion.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:07 PM   #8
BadgerGirl84
I think my biggest pet peeve is when a weird toe pops out the side

I think you could go either way on this one, especially since it was a whole-class invite and not a good friend of your child. A small gift would be a nice surprise, but not expected in any way, IMO.

BadgerGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:29 PM   #9
havaneselover
DIS Veteran

I did once when my dd got sick and missed a party. But I knew the little girl's parents were going through a divorce and the mom had been out of work so I sent a small gift card. Generally I probably wouldn't.

I had one girl RSVP yes and not show up two years in a row and not send a gift. And another boy who couldn't come at the last minute and the mom was very apologetic and said she'd drop off a gift and never did.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:36 PM   #10
dizluvah
DIS Veteran

my daughter just turned 4 so I am just beginning to navigate birthday party etiquette but I would not give a gift in the situation you described. The date of party you rsvp'd yes to was changed and you cannot make the new date - so no gift required imho.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:52 PM   #11
bellebud
DIS Veteran

no, I wouldn't go out and get a gift for a party you can't attend. I understand you were going to attend the first one, but it not being a good friend, I wouldn't.
bellebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #12
mtemm
Doubly blessed
Ever just have one of those days?
I occasionally make a split breast for dh

honestly based on what you wrote, I wouldn't bother. during those "invite the whole class" years, kids get so much stuff. It would be a nice gesture, but totally unnecessary and I'm guessing unexpected.
mtemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 03:11 PM   #13
Stephaniesue
Mouseketeer

If this isn't a child your son is very close to, or you aren't close to his parents then I wouldn't worry about it.

Sounds like they just invited the class (I guess those are the rules now). It's not your fault they had to reschedule.

If you had already purchased a gift I would say go ahead, but it sounds like you are making a special trip to get it- I wouldn't do that.
Stephaniesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 03:26 PM   #14
disneychrista
BL6 Red Team Captain
Disneyland is my Home
Birthdays are for kids of all ages
I have always been a big Kermit the Frog Fan

Quote:
Do you or your son socialize with this boy outside of school ?

How do you plan to get the gift the boy? I would NOT do it at school.
disneychrista is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 04:01 PM   #15
vikster1
DIS Veteran

I would if the kids are good friends and play outside of school.

If it is an "in school" friend I would not.
vikster1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: