Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2008, 05:07 PM   #1
luvnmy2bys
Mouseketeer

Unhappy My Beagle brought me an unwanted "present"

My beagle is a housedog. We have had her since she was 7 weeks old. She has never been trained to hunt. I took her for walk this morning and she yanked her way off the chain. My boys tried to chase her down but she went into a wooded area behind our subdivision. When she came out ten minutes later she very proudly presented me with a rabbit. I was mortified. Of course the bunny was dead. My Chloe girl was so excited wagging her tail and proud of herself. She could not understand why mommy was screaming. She has been looking at me all sad now ever since.
Luvnmy2bys
luvnmy2bys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:10 PM   #2
hereyago
DIS Veteran

She is a dog. Her ancestors did it, it is still engrained in her. My one dog would bring me possums. yuck.
hereyago is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
glitterkittyy
I Disney
I'm afraid what I'll find if I search myself
(sorry, couldn't resist - SPTF)
but I think one time I heard him say "Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

My border collie did that once. He actually killed the bunny by chasing it. I guess it got scared and had a heart attack or something. He brought it to me just like yours did. He never did it again, thank goodness! So hopefully yours is a one time "present" as well.
glitterkittyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
EmmersIsTheMommy
Ew maybe the dolls dance all night. *shudder*
... and she shall be called Epic Emily (per Crush)

haha I still remember the day my poor Papillon (a 'mouser' by birthright) brought me a mouse.

Poor thing looked at me like "DON'T YOU LOVE IT???!?!!!"

I'm afraid I freaked out.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:12 PM   #5
Aimeedyan
Why get all excited about something as silly as a fake celebrity? Or getting a tag?
Jello is not meant to be chunky

She's a dog - that's what she does! She doesn't have to be trained to hunt, it's ingrained in her.

I have a Min Schnauzer, bred to hunt small rodents. She has killed more bunnies than I can count and has met me at the door many times with a limp one in her mouth. It's gross, and it makes me terribly sad, but it's just who she is. I don't scream at her - I just tell her to drop it before she comes inside and then I go dispose of it.
1982 & 1990 ~ trips as a child ~1997 ~ Caribbean Beach ~ 2002 ~ Vacation Home ~ 2003 ~ Stayed with Family ~ 2004 ~ Port Orleans Riverside ~2006 ~ Pop Century & Disney's Vero Beach ~ 2007 ~ Wilderness Lodge & Yacht Club ~ 2008 ~ Carnival Cruise & All Star Music ~ 2009 ~ All Star Sports & Downtown Hotel ~ 2009 ~ All Star Music, Comfort Inn & Boardwalk Villas
Aimeedyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:12 PM   #6
TheZue
DIS Veteran

rofl...we have been considering a beagle as our next dog and heard about their urge to run after anything they smell...I had no idea they could actually do anything once they found it! I pictured them standing and waiting for their human to come get it On the bright side, the rabbits in your area should have no problem replacing the one your dog got.

World didn't end, I'm going back!

Past Disneyland visits: 1983, 1995, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2012
How the heck do I not have a tag yet???
TheZue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:15 PM   #7
merryweather20
DIS Veteran

Its times like these I'm glad I have a sheep herding dog. He has a crazy sense of boundaries and will herd us whenever the family is on a hike, but thats about it
Old 12-29-2008, 05:17 PM   #8
pfishgirl
In Loving Memory of Our Son 5/6/90 - 5/13/09

Awwww... and Ick....

I don't have a dog but when my cat gave me a chipmonk, I didn't praise him, and hoped he wouldn't do it agin.. I also didn't yell at him, as a cat is a natural born hunter.. I felt so bad my Cat was all proud and I couldn't even share in his excitment..

I Love You
pfishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:19 PM   #9
luvnmy2bys
Mouseketeer

I had no idea she would know what to do with it either. It was limp but there was no blood. I know I know TMI. But my guess is she shook it to death. Her sense of smell is incredible. She smells the coffee as soon as it starts every morning and nudges me that it is time to wake up.
luvnmy2bys
luvnmy2bys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:22 PM   #10
Aimeedyan
Why get all excited about something as silly as a fake celebrity? Or getting a tag?
Jello is not meant to be chunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnmy2bys View Post
I had no idea she would know what to do with it either. It was limp but there was no blood. I know I know TMI. But my guess is she shook it to death. Her sense of smell is incredible. She smells the coffee as soon as it starts every morning and nudges me that it is time to wake up.
luvnmy2bys
Rabbits are very frail - just being caught and grabbed likely killed the little guy. Baby bunnies, esp, are very frail! I've tried to save a couple and it just doesn't work.
1982 & 1990 ~ trips as a child ~1997 ~ Caribbean Beach ~ 2002 ~ Vacation Home ~ 2003 ~ Stayed with Family ~ 2004 ~ Port Orleans Riverside ~2006 ~ Pop Century & Disney's Vero Beach ~ 2007 ~ Wilderness Lodge & Yacht Club ~ 2008 ~ Carnival Cruise & All Star Music ~ 2009 ~ All Star Sports & Downtown Hotel ~ 2009 ~ All Star Music, Comfort Inn & Boardwalk Villas
Aimeedyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:32 PM   #11
Luv Bunnies
DIS Veteran

Luv Bunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:47 PM   #12
WDWBarb
It was, in fact, *I* who was sounding like a loose fan belt
I need to put some distance between my coffee, my mouth and my monitor

My German Shepherd once chased a rabbit and caught it. She didn't know what to do with it so the rabbit has lived in my house for over a year now. We love her so.

Someone had dumped this poor bunny in my back yard. Don't think I'm crazy - she was domesticated! She's 17 lbs.

If she had hurt this bunny, I would have been very upset. Yes, it's "nature," but that doesn't make me feel better about it.
WDWBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:42 PM   #13
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

My dog won't even fetch his toy, much less an animal One of my cats on the other hand loves my Dh's dirty socks NASTY. He get one almost everynight and lays outside my bedroom door and cries and makes funny noises

Suzanne
Old 12-29-2008, 06:52 PM   #14
Luv Bunnies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWBarb View Post
My German Shepherd once chased a rabbit and caught it. She didn't know what to do with it so the rabbit has lived in my house for over a year now. We love her so.

Someone had dumped this poor bunny in my back yard. Don't think I'm crazy - she was domesticated! She's 17 lbs.

If she had hurt this bunny, I would have been very upset. Yes, it's "nature," but that doesn't make me feel better about it.
Good for you for rescuing the giant bunny and giving her a home!
Luv Bunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:56 PM   #15
CathrynRose
R.I.P. Possibly Un-PC Tag, R.I.P.
Back away from the cheesecake, lady!!!
I had ponytails so tight, I couldn’t move my head
I can't stop sniffing me

Two Proud Doggie Mommy Moments:

#1 - We always do a once over before we let Charley out the door. One Sunday morning, shortly after we adopted him, my husband missed the bunny in the dead center of the yard, and when Charley went out the door, Charley went STRAIGHT for it.

He grabbed it - he got it. My husband yelled 'CHARLEY! NO!! DROP IT!!!' By this time I was out the door too, and it was all in slow motion. The bunny flailing around in his mouth, my husband's "NooOOOooOOoooO!" like the movies. LOL! And Charley looked at us, Bunny in mouth, leaned his head down and.......

DROPPED IT!!!

The bunny took off, Charley began to go again - and again, we said NO! And then he stopped, gave us the evil eye, but let it go.

#2 - Wasnt as proud. Well sort of. Charley got himself a squirrel, and after my husband grabbed his collar, he let it go, but the squirrel was too riled up and was going after Charley once he let it go! Charley was getting attacked!!! My husband had to let Charley go, as to not be slaughtered by the crazy kung-foo squirrel.

Charley still has battle wounds from that dude.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: