Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2008, 06:53 PM   #1
Tracy J
Earning My Ears

Mystery Woman w/Teddy Bears at Grand Floridian Mystery Solved!!

Sorry the other 'thread' was closed. That is a new term to me.

The lady who is always at the Grand Floridian Hotel is my sister, Lynn, who lives near there and is definitely Not homeless.

Her late Husband, Bruce, used to be there often, too, but would often go off and do other things while Lynn listened to the music.

She takes her bags of teddy bears with her everywhere and has for many many years.

Lynn has a terrific sense of humor, but she does hear the beat to a different drummer, as the old saying goes.

Bruce suddenly passed away from a brain aneurysm October of 2007, which was a shock to all of us. He had a fantastic sense of humor as well, and the two of them couldn't have been more perfectly matched.

Lynn will be 67 in March, so she isn't as old as some thought. I am 65, and at times, websites like this one are somewhat of a struggle for me to figure out how to use, so I hope you will be patient with me.

Even as a child Lynn was rather overly imaginative. I remember when one night she got me to drag her into our closet so she could pretend she was a doll and 'catch' all of the toys come 'alive' when the rest of us were asleep. She was probably around 7 or 8 at the time. She was dissappointed the next morning that none had come to life, but she reasoned it all out that the toys must have realized that she was really a human and not a real toy.

So, Lynn is not homeless, but she is OCD. One day she will no doubt tire of going to the GF and go off into something else.

She and Bruce used to love to hand out teddy bears to children, but only after asking the children's parent's permission first. They have been going to Disney since it opened, and have spent a small fortune there, taking 4 kids there very often, spending almost more time in the place where people camp than at their own home, renting golf carts. So, if anyone thinks either of them were or are freeloaders, they are very wrong.

The person who wrote #43 on the original site about my sister needs to learn compassion for those less fortunate than she is. With the way the world is today, she could be homeless right now. I hope that is NOT the case, but if it is, I can't help but wonder if she would even give a thought to what she wrote about homeless people when many thought Lynn might be, and she really didn't like the idea of Lynn being in the hotel if she was homeless. I seem to remember that she didn't even want Lynn there if she wasn't a guest at the hotel. My goodness, don't you think there are literally thousands of people that go into these hotels to eat in the restaurants, or listen to the music, etc. It is a public place.

Lynn has a LOT of friends at the hotel, as well as a few like the above person, who resent her being there daily.

Who is she hurting? No one.

At any rate, I hope this satisfies everyone's curiosity. Thanks to all of you who were kind in your remarks about her.

Lynn's Sister,
Tracy Joan
Nashville, TN

Last edited by Tracy J; 12-28-2008 at 12:52 PM.
Tracy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:25 PM   #2
LindyN
DIS Veteran

Thank you for your post.

I have visited the GF many times and believe I have seen your sister. I don't have much of an imagination, but had created my own story about her, and why she was there. I imagined that Lynn was a well-to-do lady who enjoyed the genteel environment of the GF, who was quite the grand dame in her youth! I imagined her in her 20's, out dancing until the wee hours of the morning with many gentlemen swooning at the sight of her beauty, until finally a very handsome and exciting man swept her off her feet, and they lived happily ever after until she was widowed. Then with her alone, she decided to visit the GF and revisit her younger days.

So it appears that part of my story is correct.
LindyN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-27-2008, 07:26 PM   #3
slduck
DIS Veteran

Thank you for sharing this! I hope that I get the opportunity to meet her one day!

slduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:42 PM   #4
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

Great story! #43 be darned! I'm taking my teddy bear, Dimples, over to meet your sister and her bears next month!
Old 12-27-2008, 08:00 PM   #5
bavaria
Makes the best of both worlds
And to think that I was just starting to like you!
No, I'm not in trouble, I'm naturally signatureless!
Ein Prosit!

Thank you for sharing. I have always been uncomfortable with the posts about your sister as I felt that many were prying as to why she was there. It is certainly no business of ours, but I do thank you for coming to post.

I hope that your sister continues to have pleasure in the future.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.... - Mark Twain
bavaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:02 PM   #6
yankeepenny
YANKEE Sock Crocker

I like to visit at the GF on trips and will look for your sister.

Gleeker in every sense.

Thing 1 & Thing 2
yankeepenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 09:15 PM   #7
JulyGirl
DIS Veteran

I have seen your sister and she always seemed like a sweet woman. Next time, I will go up and introduce myself to her.
JulyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:50 PM   #8
mlholster
DIS Veteran

Thank you for explaining about your sister. I have met her and visit her every time we visit, which is every couple of months. I have even introduced her to my family this past September. She is a lovely woman.

DD DS DD DD DS

Happy Blessed Grandmother of 9

Our Grand Gathering in September 08 was Wonderful!
Family cruise Dec/Jan 2010
2010 Family summer vacation all 18 of us.
2010 SS Member Cruise
Our daughter is a Disney Bride!
mlholster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:21 PM   #9
thesupersmartguy
DIS Veteran

We frequent the GF, and just this last trip had the pleasure of meeting your sister. We enjoy her company, and look forward to talking with her again in February. We love that she comes and sits there everyday.

Thank you for sharing,

Super.

Happily living in Celebration, FL

Recent Trips To Disney:

8/08 YC Club Level Turret Suite and CBR Check Out My Trip Report UPDATED 1/28 with Turret Suite Pics!: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1922686

12/08 DTD Hilton CL and GF RPC Details Here:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2029616
thesupersmartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:22 PM   #10
Tracy J
Earning My Ears

Hi Linda. I loved your imaginative story about Lynn and her genteel earlier life. She would get a kick out of that!

I have just now figured out how to Answer all of you who have sent such Nice emails about Lynn. I will try to get to each before I go to bed, but if not, I will answer all tomorrow.......12/28/09

And, yes, Linda, you did get part of Lynn's story right! I will tell all of you a few funny things that have happened to Lynn later, if any are interested. Just let me know.

A Belated Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays.
Joan

Thank you for your post.

I have visited the GF many times and believe I have seen your sister. I don't have much of an imagination, but had created my own story about her, and why she was there. I imagined that Lynn was a well-to-do lady who enjoyed the genteel environment of the GF, who was quite the grand dame in her youth! I imagined her in her 20's, out dancing until the wee hours of the morning with many gentlemen swooning at the sight of her beauty, until finally a very handsome and exciting man swept her off her feet, and they lived happily ever after until she was widowed. Then with her alone, she decided to visit the GF and revisit her younger days.

So it appears that part of my story is correct.
Tracy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:28 PM   #11
thesupersmartguy
DIS Veteran

Tracy!

Glad I caught you up, I would love to hear more stories about Lynn. I feel I forgot to mention something about Bruce, I heard he got his hair cut at the barber shop on the second floor???

Happily living in Celebration, FL

Recent Trips To Disney:

8/08 YC Club Level Turret Suite and CBR Check Out My Trip Report UPDATED 1/28 with Turret Suite Pics!: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1922686

12/08 DTD Hilton CL and GF RPC Details Here:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2029616
thesupersmartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:36 PM   #12
annie1995
I have not used mine outside the house yet
CM's always tell me that's not how it works

Quote:
Originally Posted by slduck View Post
Thank you for sharing this! I hope that I get the opportunity to meet her one day!
I hope someday to be able to meet your sister!! Thank you for sharing this!!!
Old 12-28-2008, 08:50 AM   #13
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait
Is on a hunt for the best Creme Brulee!

We have seen your sister many times on our visits to the Grand. I always felt there had to be a story behind her continued visits to the Grand. I never wanted to bother her, but now that you have shared her story, we will definitely introduce ourselves next time. Thank you for explaining what is really no one's business!
Old 12-28-2008, 08:58 AM   #14
Cool-Beans
Flippin' PINK
Finally admitted it’s her flippin' cat
I always had a thing for Agent Almeida
Queen of the Crow

I missed all of this, so let me get it straight...

A woman is hanging out at the GF and gives teddy bears away to little kids. People are upset about it.

Is that right?

Sounds like a nice thing to do, IMO.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:00 AM   #15
rcraw45425
I'm a 43 year old mom with a scar on my navel!

Tracy, thank you for taking the time to come here and fill everyone in on your sister. My family and I had the pleasure of seeing her last month during our visit. As others mentioned, we too assumed that she simply enjoyed sitting in the lobby enjoying the music, as we do. I hate that there were posters here who felt the need to say cruel things about her without knowing her true story. When we glimpsed her sitting on a settee close to the entrance to 1900 Park Faire she in no way whatsoever appeared homeless or destitute. Quite the opposite, in fact. People sometimes feel the need to be unnecessarily cruel when posting "anonymously" on message boards. There truthfully is no excuse for bad manners. We hope to see her again during our June visit!
offsite '71,'86,'95,'04,Swan'98,CR'98,GF'99,CR'01,CR'03,WL '04,Polynesian'04,YC'05,GF'05,POFQ'05,CR'05,YC'06, PBH'06,CR'07,AS Sports,YC CL1/08,GF11/08, HRH 07/09, WL CL 11/09, PBH 1/10, CR Tower Club 1 bedroom suite 5/10,Royal Pacific Resort Club 12/10, BWI,Disney Dream 4/11,CSR/Grand Floridian 12/11,CR tower 10/12, AKL 1/13, Polynesian 6/13,Polynesian 10/13, PBH CL 11/13, BC 3/14 (2 BR suite), Hard Rock Hotel for Diagon Alley Opening Day (7/14)
rcraw45425 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: