Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2008, 10:16 AM   #1
ateacha
Earning My Ears

2 year old cruising questions

Crib... Does it take up too much space? TA suggests rails to avoid taking up the space in the cabin, but I'm not sure I can imagine that.

Shows... I would love to enjoy the shows at night, but my 2 y/o DS usually doesn't make it past 8-8:30pm before cranky sets in. Am I going to be stuck in a dark cabin while my DH and DD enjoy nightly entertainment?

Safety... He's 2. He's quick. Tips?

Flounders... When can I book this? What are the best times to take advantage of before it fills up?

Any other advice for traveling with a 2 year old are greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
ateacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:24 AM   #2
Andrew DEREK UK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateacha View Post
Crib... Does it take up too much space? TA suggests rails to avoid taking up the space in the cabin, but I'm not sure I can imagine that.

Shows... I would love to enjoy the shows at night, but my 2 y/o DS usually doesn't make it past 8-8:30pm before cranky sets in. Am I going to be stuck in a dark cabin while my DH and DD enjoy nightly entertainment?

Flounders... When can I book this? What are the best times to take advantage of before it fills up?

Thank you!
What type of room are you in? IE Cat no? what cruise? 3/4/7 night?

DCL have pack n play style and they can take up a bit of spcae in the lower Cats, the shows start at 8.30pm for main dinner and 6.15pm for late dinner,

I would suggest you have a verandah room then you can enjoy the sea if your child has a rest, maybe a mid afternoon sleep would help and then less cranky in the evening, there is a lot going on so they need a sleep, Flounders books up fast, try for meal times/show times
Longer cruies have an afternono performance of some shows so you can share with hubby.

Safety the ship is very safe indeed do bring safety inflatables for the pools.

Show Disney character videos and DVD's before cruise so your child gets used to the characters and is not frightened by them.

Last edited by Andrew DEREK UK; 12-27-2008 at 10:30 AM.
Andrew DEREK UK is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-27-2008, 10:32 AM   #3
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

Quote:

DCL provides pack-n-plays and your room steward can set it up and take it down as you wish, or keep it up for naps and such.

If you're sailing on a 7 day, sometimes they have matinees for the shows. That might be another option for you.

The ship is very safe. All rails are are solid or have plexiglass in front of them. I would suggest wearing nonskid soles around the pool as it can get very slippery.

When you can make your online reservations, at 75 days out, you can book up to 10 hours of time at Flounders. If there is space, you can also book additional hours throughout your cruise as needed.

Thank you!
Have a great cruise!
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:06 PM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thank you!
Do you have main or late dinner? If late, your show time would be 6:15. Would the 2 year old go to the dining room in a stroller and fall asleep there? If yes, you might consider feeding him earlier, dressing him for bed, and taking him to the dining room in an umbrella stroller. You'll want to have one along anyhow (smaller rather than large). The ship has too much walking for a 2 year old, but you won't have much cabin space for a big stroller. If you want a big one for excursions, etc. Guest Services has some you can borrow.

Is your 2 year old in a crib or bed at home? If a crib, use the pack and play on the ship. If he's in a bed at home, do the bed with rails on the ship. IN some ways, the pack and play is easier because you'd have to either nap him in your bed or have the steward flip the couch to a bed again.

Flounders--on the Magic, 10 hours booked before boarding at the 75 day point if this is your first cruise. Go there on day 1 and let them know you want more time if it is available--usually on day 2 you are allowed to book as much as you want provided that it isn't filled (it usually isn't). The 10 hour rule is just to let everyone have a chance at some time. It's easier to get time on the Magic than on the Wonder, so if you are having a "Magical" cruise, you can put him in Flounders and enjoy your evening.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:29 PM   #5
ateacha
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew DEREK UK View Post
What type of room are you in? IE Cat no? what cruise? 3/4/7 night?

DCL have pack n play style and they can take up a bit of spcae in the lower Cats, the shows start at 8.30pm for main dinner and 6.15pm for late dinner,

I would suggest you have a verandah room then you can enjoy the sea if your child has a rest, maybe a mid afternoon sleep would help and then less cranky in the evening, there is a lot going on so they need a sleep, Flounders books up fast, try for meal times/show times
Longer cruies have an afternono performance of some shows so you can share with hubby.

Safety the ship is very safe indeed do bring safety inflatables for the pools.

Show Disney character videos and DVD's before cruise so your child gets used to the characters and is not frightened by them.
We're on a 3 day Magic cruise, Cat 12...presumably in a closet in steerage.

Great idea about the character videos.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:31 PM   #6
Andrew DEREK UK
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Great idea about the character videos.

Even with a Cat 12 you get the same food,service,shows, pools,entertainment as any Cat up to Cat 4.

Now there are some nice comfy Sun beds on deck 4 which is 'covered' by the next deck overhang, that might be a nice spot to let a little one rest while you still enjoy the sea.
Andrew DEREK UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 01:18 PM   #8
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Booking a cat 12 is not a bad thing at all. First of all, the difference between a 12 and an 11 is location on the ship. All cabins in cat 5-12 are essentially the same size--the difference is whether you have a single or double bathroom, a porthole, or a balcony. A 12 is on deck 1 with an inside cabin, single bath. There are only 13 of these on the ship, so there is a good chance you will actually sail in a cat 11.

"Steerage" on DCL is a far cry from the ships of old. You have all the same services and amenities in cat 4-12. Enjoy the trip!
Old 12-27-2008, 01:29 PM   #9
ateacha
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Do you have main or late dinner? If late, your show time would be 6:15. Would the 2 year old go to the dining room in a stroller and fall asleep there? If yes, you might consider feeding him earlier, dressing him for bed, and taking him to the dining room in an umbrella stroller. You'll want to have one along anyhow (smaller rather than large). The ship has too much walking for a 2 year old, but you won't have much cabin space for a big stroller. If you want a big one for excursions, etc. Guest Services has some you can borrow.

Is your 2 year old in a crib or bed at home? If a crib, use the pack and play on the ship. If he's in a bed at home, do the bed with rails on the ship. IN some ways, the pack and play is easier because you'd have to either nap him in your bed or have the steward flip the couch to a bed again.

Flounders--on the Magic, 10 hours booked before boarding at the 75 day point if this is your first cruise. Go there on day 1 and let them know you want more time if it is available--usually on day 2 you are allowed to book as much as you want provided that it isn't filled (it usually isn't). The 10 hour rule is just to let everyone have a chance at some time. It's easier to get time on the Magic than on the Wonder, so if you are having a "Magical" cruise, you can put him in Flounders and enjoy your evening.
He's in a crib. I think you're right, and I can't imagine him on a bed to begin with.

Does Flounder's provide meals for the kids? He's not the best restaurant diner, yk? You have me thinking. Maybe a late seating might be better. The kids can enjoy the early show with us, then go off to Flounders/Oceaneers to play/eat before bed while we're at dinner?
Old 12-27-2008, 01:58 PM   #10
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Oceaneer's takes the kids to dinner early--way early. So...if you go to the show, you'll want to go up to Pluto's for some chicken fingers before you take child to the Club. You really should try them at dinner--DCL dinners are very kid friendly. Your servers will bring all the kid food right away if you ask them to (not an appetizer then an entree). They can eat and you can excuse yourself for a minute to take the older one to Oceaneer's Club and come back for a leisurely dessert and coffee. You would have time after the show to go up to deck 9, feed child, and still be on time for late dinner.

I have no current Flounder's experience, so someone who has used it more recently would be more accurate than I. In the past, they would serve food that you provided but would not take the kids out or get ship's food for them.

Do try the kids at dinner once. If it isn't good, you have other options.

If my child was in a crib at home, he'd be in a pack and play on the ship. You might want to bring your own sheets if you have them--they aren't the nicest. The bed sheets are fine...it's just the pack and play that could be better. Also, if you request a diaper genie it will be in your room and will be emptied every time the steward does up the room.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:01 PM   #11
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

The cat 11 and 12 are a bit smaller than the cats 5-10 so I would definitely have the room host remove the coffee table so that you have more room for the pack and play. We have pushed sleeping kids in strollers for events, including dinner many times and did not feel like we were missing out on anything. Also, you can check with Flounders if your child is already sleeping and they have cribs for the little ones to sleep in if you want to go to the club at night.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:26 PM   #12
dismom73
It's an illness, I know!
Shares a special day with Disneyland!

Another thing...you can request that your room steward remove the coffee table from your room. This will give you more room for the pack and play. Our last cruise our youngest DD was 2 and she did just fine. We did flounders several times on drop in and once she was the only one there and had two counselors all to herself, playing hide and seek. They are really great in there (but this was on the 7 day, so I don't know how much drop in you'll be able to do on the 3 day). We did early dinner and let the kids pick out small toys in the shop on the ship and they were classified the "dinner toys". Meaning they sat at the table and played with them while we waited for our food. Then after dinner we would change her into her pj's before going to the show. If the show held her attention great, if not she fell asleep and then we slipped back and put her to bed right after the show. It worked out great!
Old 12-27-2008, 06:30 PM   #13
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:

The 3 day is on the Wonder.

Also why do you have to stay with 2 YO each night. Can't DH and you tkae turns. I know I would make my DH stay some if needed.
Or another option would be to leave 2 YO home this trip.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:53 PM   #14
ateacha
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
The 3 day is on the Wonder.

Also why do you have to stay with 2 YO each night. Can't DH and you tkae turns. I know I would make my DH stay some if needed.
Or another option would be to leave 2 YO home this trip.
Of course. I meant either my DH or I being stuck in a cabin, not necessarily me, yk?

I don't want to leave the 2 year old home, I want him to have some fun too!
Old 12-27-2008, 07:15 PM   #15
atinkerbellmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thank you!
We started cruising Disney when my DD was 2 as well. Our first was also a 3 day Wonder. Believe it or not, the 3 day is soooo quick, there is not a lot of planning to do. I swear by the time you unpack, you have to repack considering your bags are due out your last night, the day od CC. I have read through your thred, skimming your replies but reading all of YOUR post. I would not leave my 2yo at home either. You are a family, travel as a family. I could never DREAM of leaving someone out when we travel. The 2 yo will be fine. I never saw you answer details of what dinner you actually already have booked. There is so much to do on the ship, your toddler will actually be fine and entertained the entire time. My DD at 2 did awesome with the shows. They held her attention the entire time with all of the characters on the stage. We did dinner with her and she was awesome. Now someone can remind me as I am sure they will, since it has been years since my Wonder; but are the dinner shows shown at 2PM like on the Magic as well. If it is early enough when you booked and actually got early dinner, this is an option, even though I feel the later show would still hold his attention. If you are caught with 2nd diiner because you booked later, then he will still be up for the show. Go to Topsiders or poolside and grab dinner for the kids, head to to the show and then drop them to the club and Flounders while you guys go to dinner. Just note late dinner is not done until close to 10PM.
As far as sleeping goes, I would have him sleep in the P-N-Play if he is use to sleeping alone and is in a crib at home. MY DD was in a toddler bed when we traveled, so we put her on the sofa with a rail.
As far as him getting away from you, do not worry, he is safe on the ship. The only time I would worry is a POC and the only true one you have to worry about is Nausa (your only public POC). Truly (shhhh.....) you can skip this POC there is nothing there to see. lol..... Stay on the ship and ENJOY it to yourself. We did this when my DD was 2 and we were the ONLY ones in the pool. (Yes guys she was potty trained COMPLETLY..... Not a SINGLE accident from the time she was 2 years 1 month.... By 2 years 6 months she was even potty trained in panties at night..... (So perfectly safe to go into the pool, but it was nice to do without all of the wild kids in the pool.) So have a blast and enjoy your cruise....

Thanks, Cheri & Johnna. Thanks Tiny Tink & LtWDWdream. & Thanks Rani
atinkerbellmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: