Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2008, 11:11 PM   #1
GoofyG
DIS Veteran

Sony A350 Help

I just purchased a Sony A350 with an 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3xr lens. I'm pretty much a beginner and will slowly wade my way through the book. Does anyone have any tips or recommendations to share with a newbe? I'll mostly be shooting my grandkids, our trips to Disneyworld and fireworks. Any help would be grately appreciated.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:35 AM   #2
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Congratulations GoofyG in your new Sony! I'm a newbie to the Sony DSLR's myself. I picked up the a700 two months ago and have been having a great time with it. I also had the 18-200 lens but then ended up finding a very good deal on an 18-250 and decided to go with the little longer reach but I thought the 18-200 lens took great shots. It's such a nice compact lens making it a good walk around with lots of reach as well as being wide. It should be very good for Disney in the daylight and for fireworks too.

You mentioned taking firework pics and though I'm far from being a pro I've done that now both at DL and for July 4th so I thought I'd give a couple of tips from what I've experienced. First, the SuperSteady Shot function is very helpful on the camera for handheld shots but it is recommended to turn it off when ever you have it mounted on a tripod. Also, for myself I have decided that I also like to turn off the DRO when I am shooting fireworks (and probably any night shots - like the moon), otherwise the camera is working to adjust the shadows to the highlights and that isn't what I am looking for at night.

Are you shooting in Raw or jpeg? Anything more specific you're looking for tips on? There are a few other Sony users on the board with more experience than I so hopefully they'll pop in and help out.

There's also a thread on some alpha shots that I'll try and locate and bump up for you to see if you haven't already.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-03-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
NaeNae
DIS Veteran

This was my post originally that I posted under my daughters name, GoofyG, but now I have my own login name.

NaeNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:21 PM   #4
sherry7
DIS Veteran

Please recommend a lens for my Sony A350

I recently got my first DSLR, a Sony A350. At the moment, I only have the kit lens, a DT 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6.

I'm coming from a Canon S2, so needless to say, I've been spoiled by the 12x optical zoom that camera has. That's the ONLY thing I don't like about my new camera, is the lack of zoom with the kit lens.

Because of budget issues, I don't plan on investing in a ton of glass. Plus, I have absolutely no desire to carry a bunch of lenses around. What I'd really like to have is a good, all around lens that I can just leave on the camera for the majority of the time.

I take mostly pics of my family, pets, vacation pics, a bit of outdoors stuff, etc. Just general all-around stuff.

Here are some lenses I am considering at the moment:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance $349 after rebate (I saw this for $50 cheaper at another website, but I have to find it again.)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance $306.17

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=UTF8&v=glance $149.95

So please, give me your opinions or suggestions. I freely admit that I'm uneducated about lenses, so please keep it simple. Thanks!
sherry7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:12 PM   #5
Code
DH of Lease, Father of Triplet Boys :)

28mm isn't very wide for an all-purpose lens, and these are better quality anyway:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_p?....5-6.3&x=0&y=0

The 18-250mm are more money than those you linked but they are very highly rated lenses in terms of superzooms, they would take you wider on the short end than you were used to with your S2, and just about as long on the telephoto end.

Two lenses are almost always better than 1 to cover both wide and tele, but if you are in it for convenience, I would recommend one of these. Sony used Tamron's design so unless you are attached to the brand, the Tamron is just as good.

Also, be weary of any site that is significantly lower price than any of Amazon, B&H, Adorama, Beach Camera, or BuyDig. Amazon is very good at being the cheapest game in town, much lower sets off the bait&switch scam alarm. Always check resellerratings.com.

Check out my WDW photos on flickr (New photo daily - sometimes )
Code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:44 PM   #6
KAT4DISNEY
1st trip Disneyland 1969

The lens that came to my mind immediately is what Code recommended. If I had to suddenly give up all my lenses (and I've collected a few since I got my Sony in May ) I'm 99% certain that my 18-250 is the lens that I would keep. Considering it is a super zoom I think it provides amazing pictures. If there's anyway you could swing it I would do the Tamron version (since it's a little cheaper and rates very similar to the Sony).

Personally I have found that having the wider 18mm has been important with the APS-C sensor.

Actually - since the lens you have is the 18-70 do you find you're using the 18mm or always zooming in?

Old 09-29-2008, 11:44 PM   #7
sherry7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code View Post
28mm isn't very wide for an all-purpose lens, and these are better quality anyway:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_p?....5-6.3&x=0&y=0

The 18-250mm are more money than those you linked but they are very highly rated lenses in terms of superzooms, they would take you wider on the short end than you were used to with your S2, and just about as long on the telephoto end.

Two lenses are almost always better than 1 to cover both wide and tele, but if you are in it for convenience, I would recommend one of these. Sony used Tamron's design so unless you are attached to the brand, the Tamron is just as good.

Also, be weary of any site that is significantly lower price than any of Amazon, B&H, Adorama, Beach Camera, or BuyDig. Amazon is very good at being the cheapest game in town, much lower sets off the bait&switch scam alarm. Always check resellerratings.com.
Thanks for the advice Code and Kat.

I probably should have mentioned that I'm on a budget. $300-$350 is pretty much my max.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:58 PM   #8
sherry7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT4DISNEY View Post
..........Actually - since the lens you have is the 18-70 do you find you're using the 18mm or always zooming in?
I just noticed this question. I very seldom use the lens at the 18mm point. I always seem to be zooming in quite a bit. That's why I was considering the 28-300mm lenses.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:51 AM   #9
zackiedawg
WEDway Peoplemover Rider

I know you've heard it before - but it's as true with lenses as with anything I can think of - you get what you pay for! Don't go too cheap with lenses, because the quality will suffer.

In the case of the Tamron 28-300...it's not a bad lens - best for outdoor use in good light. It will degrade quickly in low light though. It focuses somewhat slow, and has trouble getting autofocus in low light or indoor situations.

These are fairly common problems with the cheaper lenses, by the way. The 18-250 is a much faster focusing lens and surprisingly good in low light, but it costs alot more.

Also, consider used lenses. There are some reputable resellers out there for purchasing used lenses, that have return policies if not up to your standards, and rate lenses based on condition. There are so many older Minolta lenses out there that work with your camera, that you might get a better deal finding a good lens that's used rather than a cheap new one. Minolta's "Big Beercan", the nickname for the AF 75-300 F4.5-5.6, is a very good lens that would serve the long end of your zoom and can be found for $250-350 used - it's of much better build quality and optic quality than some of those cheap megazoom lenses available today. It wouldn't give you anything on the wide end, but would give you as much telephoto range (more, actually) as your Canon S-series did. You could keep the kit lens for wider work.

There is a used lens and camera site called KEH (www.keh.com) which is very well respected which is worth a look - I've bought a used lens from them which was much better condition than what they rated, and only cost me $60...so they are even a bit conservative on their condition estimates. You might be able to find higher quality optics for a little less. You can also check sites like B&H or Adorama for used lenses.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:31 AM   #10
thomas998
DIS Veteran

I think it depends on where you plan on doing most of your shooting... I got a 28-300mm under the thought that I could take it and not bother with any other lenses when I went out... I used it on one trip to Disney... I think I got some decent shots of animals at AK... but the last time I went, I don't think I ever used the lens... its heavy... very heavy and it was easier to carry around two smaller lenses than that 28-300...

And if you shoot alot indoors then you wouldn't use the 28-300 its too slow and not wide enough... I suspect that at the very least you'll be looking at two lenses one you use inside and one outside.... and frankly the wide angle for outside really is more useful than a lot of zoom... aside from trying to get some animals... I tend to think zooms are a little over rated. Its very easy to get caught up in the more zoom is better mindset but when you really look at the best shots you get they are rarely from a zoom.

But if you want the zoom, I think I might suggest that if you want to keep cost down you look at the 70-300.... or look on ebay for a used minolta 70-300mm... I just did a quick search and there is someone selling an old Minolta Maxxum 7000 with a 28-70mm and 70-300mm for $99 buy it now.... you could buy that and then flip the 28-70mm and minolta camera for 30 or 40 bucks and end up with your 70-300mm for close to $50 net.

The one good thing about a Sony Alpha is the vibration reduction is built in to the camera and it used all the old Minolta AF lenses... not to mention some of the older minolta lenses are better quality than the new plastic lenses they sell for sonys today.
thomas998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:56 AM   #11
MICKEY88
if you keep falling off of the planet...
It might be time for a one piece
100% Male Disney nut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas998 View Post
Its very easy to get caught up in the more zoom is better mindset but when you really look at the best shots you get they are rarely from a zoom.

.. I just did a quick search and there is someone selling an old Minolta Maxxum 7000 with a 28-70mm and 70-300mm for $99 buy it now.... you could buy that and then flip the 28-70mm and minolta camera for 30 or 40 bucks and end up with your 70-300mm for close to $50 net.

I respectfully disagree with the first thought, that may be your personal preference, but quite often the best shots are captured with zooms by eliminating things that aren't essential to the photo..

, if I'm looking at the right camera on ebay , it appears that neither lens is a minolta lens..

It comes with a Samyang AF 28-75mm F3.5-4.5 Zoom and Quantaray 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 zoom

I personally have never heard of samyang lenses.. and the quantary lenses were never known for being the greatest of quality...

Pirate Rule #9: A pirate should always remove his hat in the presence of a bartender.
Pirate Rule #11: No pirate shall ever wear a “fanny pack”.
Pirate Rule # 17: Three-cornered hats, headbands and bandanas are the only acceptable headwear for pirates. Fedoras, bowler derbies, baseball caps, MICKEY EARS, top hats, sombreros, or anything with lace and flowers will be removed from the vessel– head included. A grace period of one minute is allowed for hats looted from a tailory.

Last edited by MICKEY88; 09-30-2008 at 12:57 PM.
MICKEY88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:18 PM   #12
thomas998
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICKEY88 View Post
I respectfully disagree with the first thought, that may be your personal preference, but quite often the best shots are captured with zooms by eliminating things that aren't essential to the photo..

, if I'm looking at the right camera on ebay , it appears that neither lens is a minolta lens..

It comes with a Samyang AF 28-75mm F3.5-4.5 Zoom and Quantaray 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 zoom

I personally have never heard of samyang lenses.. and the quantary lenses were never known for being the greatest of quality...
If you read my post, you would know that I said that a zoom comes in handy for animals. For anything else that isn't spooked its just as easy to simply walk closer. I'll take the time to walk closer to what I'm shooting any day over using a zoom.... and usually that's possible except with things like animals.

And yes, I've never heard of a Samyang... but I also simply suggested getting the set and then selling that lens and the camers... while Quantaray lenses aren't top of the line lenses I would put them in the same tier as other third parties like Sigma... The OP is clearly on a budget so going out and getting Zeiss glass isn't a likely option... so if your going to go for off brand why not get reasonably priced off-brand. If they think they like a big zoom they can always make a quality zoom purchase later in life.
thomas998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:19 PM   #13
KAT4DISNEY
1st trip Disneyland 1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackiedawg View Post
There is a used lens and camera site called KEH (www.keh.com) which is very well respected which is worth a look - I've bought a used lens from them which was much better condition than what they rated, and only cost me $60...so they are even a bit conservative on their condition estimates. You might be able to find higher quality optics for a little less. You can also check sites like B&H or Adorama for used lenses.
I bought my Sony 18-250 used as well as a couple other Minolta lenses from KEH and was very pleased - especially for getting my Sony in like new condition. I did see that they have a used Sony 18-200 for $299 which is the lens I had purchased new when I got my camera, although I ended up returning it when I found the used 18-250 for a little less than the other was new.

The 18-200 is also a decently rated lens. It is lighter than the 18-250 b/c it has a plastic mount which is probably part of the lower price. I was pleased with the pictures that it produced though and did not notice much, if any difference in focus speed compared to the 18-250. It would be giving up distance on the long end however, compared to what you are looking at.

KEH does allow returns if you didn't like the lens. I haven't regretted for a second buying good condition used lenses and saving some $$$'s!

Old 09-30-2008, 03:07 PM   #14
MICKEY88
if you keep falling off of the planet...
It might be time for a one piece
100% Male Disney nut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas998 View Post
If you read my post, you would know that I said that a zoom comes in handy for animals. For anything else that isn't spooked its just as easy to simply walk closer. I'll take the time to walk closer to what I'm shooting any day over using a zoom.... and usually that's possible except with things like animals.

And yes, I've never heard of a Samyang... but I also simply suggested getting the set and then selling that lens and the camers... while Quantaray lenses aren't top of the line lenses I would put them in the same tier as other third parties like Sigma... The OP is clearly on a budget so going out and getting Zeiss glass isn't a likely option... so if your going to go for off brand why not get reasonably priced off-brand. If they think they like a big zoom they can always make a quality zoom purchase later in life.
I did read your post, and I respectfully disagreed, so there really is no need to get defensive.
walking closer works in some cases, but not all, and animals are not the exception...
the minute you walk closer to children, you've lost the moment, walking closer to children on a sports field, not doable..walking closer to floats in the main st parade to get good shots of individual characters..not doable.. walking closer to get good individual shots of characters on stage at WDW not doable..shooting people or models, a good fast zoom gives the best selective focus without getting too close to the subject and making them uncomfortable..

this is what a good zoom allows you to do at wdw..

on this trip I was using 2 bodies, my 35-105, and my 100-300
this combination or my 28-300 gives the versatility to shoot an entire float, then quickly zoom for a head shot..,

my point was and is... that for your type of shooting zooms may be over rated, but for many other people they are a neccessity..
having sold cameras for 3 years, I would never put the quantary lenses on the same level, as other 3rd party lenses even though they were supposedly made by sigma.. the pictures I saw coming thru our lab, just indicated differently.
Zeiss glass was never mentioned, neither were Minolta g lenses, so that is irrelevent..
the other inherent problem with buying a maxxum 7000 package to get a used minolta lens, is that you stand a good chance of getting an original series maxxum lens. the I series and later lenses are much faster autofocusing and quieter..

Pirate Rule #9: A pirate should always remove his hat in the presence of a bartender.
Pirate Rule #11: No pirate shall ever wear a “fanny pack”.
Pirate Rule # 17: Three-cornered hats, headbands and bandanas are the only acceptable headwear for pirates. Fedoras, bowler derbies, baseball caps, MICKEY EARS, top hats, sombreros, or anything with lace and flowers will be removed from the vessel– head included. A grace period of one minute is allowed for hats looted from a tailory.
MICKEY88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:19 PM   #15
DisneyDreamerK
Mouseketeer

I just purchased the 70-300mm for my Sony A300.

I want to exchange it for the 18-250mm only because the 70-300 is very large and heavy. I can't imagine it being theme park friendly, I don't want to bring a backpack and I don't want to constantly switch lenses. Plus I am pretty clumsy so I picture myself dropping the lens or the body while swapping. lol
DisneyDreamerK is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: