Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 05:08 PM   #91
macntosh
Wonders if the Tag Fairy is still around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keetmommy View Post
Ok here is an early question if she chooses Disney 'Do we have to make our own reservations for dinners? We are just waiting on the doctor to get the paper work and approve us...then we can start the fun part...

Hope Aidan's cold gets better...
I would book my ADR's on Dates I thought I was going. That is what I did in order to secure Cinderella's Royal Table and a few others that fill quickly. Once I got my dates I cancelled those that didn't fall in that range.

Thanks for all the well wishes. Aidan started a new steroid today and well it's working on one end and making a BIG mess out the other.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:13 PM   #92
oklamomof4boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by macntosh View Post
With everything happening to everyone else I feel silly posting, but I just had to give Aidan some extra O's tonight for the first time in quite a few months. He is fighting a nasty head cold and without his Trach anymore we are having difficulty getting the mucus out. He is clogged and miserable, but finally sleeping. The problem is that he can't get much air through the plugged nose and doesn't really mouth breath yet. Please add him to your lists, we do not want to end up in a hospital and putting back in a Trach.

mm
Don't ever feel silly asking for prayers! We will add Aiden to our list of prayers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroo View Post
A hint for Disney...

WATER...

This was buried in my TR...but I want to make sure all of the Wish families are aware of this.

Water is FREE in Disney. You can go to any counter service restaurant and ask for a cup of ice water and they will give it to you for FREE. PS: It isn't free at Sea World. Not sure about Universal.

This is not something that they advertise...

We used this "service" a lot. We brought a small snack for each person and requested water for each person and had a "free" snack during the day. This will help stretch that expense check.

This is also very helpful for taking medicine...so you don't have to spend $3 on a drink that you won't even finish.

It helped us stay hydrated without having to carry around water bottles all day. You could carry a water bottle and fill it up with the ice water, though.

And you are right... THAT was RANDOM!!

Just a random thought from Maroo...
You can get water for free at Universal also. We did that a ton when we went during the summer.

Hey- I think I finally figured out multiquote!

Nathan's magical wish trip- Pre trip report [/U]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1866940
WDW twice including Nathan's MAW trip to WDW
8 cruises and counting- almost Platinum!
Disneyland- over 14 times and counting
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2009, 07:31 PM   #93
dmbfan
DIS Veteran

Questions to those of you that had family come and stay with you at GKTW. My sister is coming ( she is paying her way) and my step son is coming also ( we are paying his way) but they both get to stay with us at our Villa at GKTW.

I talk to our wish person today and she said they would have to purchase a"bunny Book" and that is how they would pay for their meals at GKTW. When I looked at the GKTW website, the Bunny Book sounds like something the famiy get's when they get their.

I am just really confused. She told the meals are buffet style and the range from $3-$5 a meal...anyone know anything about this?
Old 01-07-2009, 07:58 PM   #94
mom2lilnick
Mouseketeer

Does anyone what the policy is for friends to come visit at GKTW? Eat a meal with you or something like that?

Wife to one amazing guy Jeff
Mom to three wonderful kids..
Kayla, Noah and my wish child Nicholas .

Nick's pre-trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread....8#post28150528
Old 01-07-2009, 08:06 PM   #95
dmbfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2lilnick View Post
Does anyone what the policy is for friends to come visit at GKTW? Eat a meal with you or something like that?
Amy, my guess is it would be the same as I am asking...Are you having friends coming to visit you.... Have you thought about calling GKTW and asking them that? If you do find out, please let me know...and maybe you can also update me after you get back too...Soo excitied for you all...
Old 01-07-2009, 08:12 PM   #96
mom2lilnick
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbfan View Post
Amy, my guess is it would be the same as I am asking...Are you having friends coming to visit you.... Have you thought about calling GKTW and asking them that? If you do find out, please let me know...and maybe you can also update me after you get back too...Soo excitied for you all...
We are having a certain sweet little 2 year old and her family come visit us!

Old 01-07-2009, 08:21 PM   #97
dmbfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That is what I thought....
Old 01-07-2009, 08:24 PM   #98
llurgy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Who, who??

I think reading on past wish trips visitors are always welcome. If visitors wish to eat at GKTW they have to purchase meal tokens at a couple of dollars a token.

As far as people staying with you for the duration I was under the impression that if you were staying at GKTW as an extra person you still got the same things in the village as the Wish family got.
The only things that would have to be purchased would be the park tickets but food at the village would be free.

The above is all my opinion only and just stuff I found whilst reading through other peoples wish trips. I had a cursory look just now but I am afraid that I cant find the threads where I saw this all posted, I have read so many trip reports that they are all now just a jumble in this pea sized brain of mine. Sorry.

Mandy

www.schtabs.com

Becca's MAW/GKTW/Disney Trip was January 21st to January 27th 2009
Me ...... David ...... Becca
Old 01-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #99
dmbfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by llurgy View Post
As far as people staying with you for the duration I was under the impression that if you were staying at GKTW as an extra person you still got the same things in the village as the Wish family got.
The only things that would have to be purchased would be the park tickets but food at the village would be free.
MAW is not paying for my sister and my stepson to come with us, but they are both allowed to stay with us at GKTW the whole trip. I was under the same impression too that they would be able to eat the same as us, but today when I talked to the person at our Wish chapter, she told they have to purchase a coupon book for their meals....I know either way it is not a big deal, it is not going to be super expensive, I just saw posts too where MAW did not pay for family memebers to go, but they did stay at GKTW, but I saw nothing about the how the food went their.

If you do come across anything, please let me know.

Oh the little 2 year old Amy and I are talking about is a friend of ours that we have both known for a couple of years that lives in FL...so Amy is going to get a wonderful visit...
Old 01-07-2009, 08:57 PM   #100
mom2lilnick
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by llurgy View Post
Who, who??

Christine and I know a family from another message board we are both on, she is in remission from bilateral wilms tumors and she is the sweetest little girl you have ever seen. They just happen to live in Orlando!

Old 01-07-2009, 09:22 PM   #101
Shanka
Earning My Ears

Hello! We are going to GTKW and Disney from January 19 to the 26th. We are so excited! We are traveling from Canada with 5 children and a service dog. I feel so overwhelmed right now. We have not had a send off party and Make a Wish said they won't be doing one because their office has the flu spreading through it. They said they will send a package with the itinerary and other stuff. I think I am nervous becuase I have no idea how much spending money they will give us. My daughter has celiac disease and her food is over 50% more expensive than normal food. Can anyone tell me how much spending money I will need and if MaW takes this stuff into consideration? I am trying to come up with some extra money but it has been hard at this time of year.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:38 PM   #102
oklamomof4boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanka View Post
Hello! We are going to GTKW and Disney from January 19 to the 26th. We are so excited! We are traveling from Canada with 5 children and a service dog. I feel so overwhelmed right now. We have not had a send off party and Make a Wish said they won't be doing one because their office has the flu spreading through it. They said they will send a package with the itinerary and other stuff. I think I am nervous becuase I have no idea how much spending money they will give us. My daughter has celiac disease and her food is over 50% more expensive than normal food. Can anyone tell me how much spending money I will need and if MaW takes this stuff into consideration? I am trying to come up with some extra money but it has been hard at this time of year.
When we got our expense check, they had it broken down into about how much per meal was alloted. Plus they gave money for snacks, $30 a piece for souvenirs, airport parking, etc. They really tried to cover all expenses- I'm sure they know there are some people who don't have any extra money. I can't remember exactly how much they gave us per meal. They don't give you money for breakfast and dinner since they expect you to eat at GKTW. I'm not sure what all the diet considerations are for celiac disease- I bet you could call GKTW to see if they will lbe able to accomodate you at meals. Hopefully they will take her diet into consideration. Could you call MAW and ask them how much your expense check will be- tell them that you are trying to figure out how much of your own money you will need to take since her diet is so expensive. We were told how much to expect our check to be way before our trip.

We didn't get a send off party either- evidently our chapter doesn't do that.

Carol

Nathan's magical wish trip- Pre trip report [/U]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1866940
WDW twice including Nathan's MAW trip to WDW
8 cruises and counting- almost Platinum!
Disneyland- over 14 times and counting
Old 01-07-2009, 09:58 PM   #103
Shanka
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by oklamomof4boys View Post
When we got our expense check, they had it broken down into about how much per meal was alloted. Plus they gave money for snacks, $30 a piece for souvenirs, airport parking, etc. They really tried to cover all expenses- I'm sure they know there are some people who don't have any extra money. I can't remember exactly how much they gave us per meal. They don't give you money for breakfast and dinner since they expect you to eat at GKTW. I'm not sure what all the diet considerations are for celiac disease- I bet you could call GKTW to see if they will lbe able to accomodate you at meals. Hopefully they will take her diet into consideration. Could you call MAW and ask them how much your expense check will be- tell them that you are trying to figure out how much of your own money you will need to take since her diet is so expensive. We were told how much to expect our check to be way before our trip.

We didn't get a send off party either- evidently our chapter doesn't do that.

Carol
Thank you Carol for your information. I really appreciate your response!

Asia enjoying the dolphins at Sea World
Wish Trip Updates are on my Blog
http://hickorywoodhomeschool.blogspot.com/
Old 01-07-2009, 10:16 PM   #104
maroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbfan View Post
Questions to those of you that had family come and stay with you at GKTW. My sister is coming ( she is paying her way) and my step son is coming also ( we are paying his way) but they both get to stay with us at our Villa at GKTW.

I talk to our wish person today and she said they would have to purchase a"bunny Book" and that is how they would pay for their meals at GKTW. When I looked at the GKTW website, the Bunny Book sounds like something the famiy get's when they get their.

I am just really confused. She told the meals are buffet style and the range from $3-$5 a meal...anyone know anything about this?
Yeah...the Bunny Book is what you get when you check in...that has all the info in it.

I think it is a coupon book...for purchasing meals. But not sure if they are already included...

The phone number to GKTW is 800-995-KIDS. They can probably tell you for sure and check your particular file and answer any questions you have about that! But let us know so we will know for future families!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanka View Post
Congrats on your wish trip to DISNEY!! Woo Hoo!!

Oh no! They can keep their flu...for sure!!

Each state is different on spending money. Here in Mississippi we got PLENTY...but ours was even different because we were not staying at GKTW and they assumed we had to get all meals in the parks.

you can see all of the menus at allears.net...that might help?? It has prices on there. I actually went on each one and thought through what we might eat and did a budget that way. I did the budget before I got our check and then tweaked it after we got the check.

I would definitely call your MAW and ask them...maybe they can give you some extra for that??
Old 01-07-2009, 10:36 PM   #105
wendygrace
DIS Veteran

Celiac Disease will probably be absolutely no problem at Disney or at GKTW. Call GKTW and touch basis with them. I do remember one trip report where the child had allergies and they had no trouble getting suitable food including getting special ice cream made (the child not only had a milk allergy but several other allergies as well). With Disney, go to the special needs board hear and there is a lot of information there. If you know where you are going to eat on a given day (make a reservation), call a week or so early and speak with the chef and they will do their best to accomodate. Again, celiac has become common enough that it shouldn't be a problem. There is also a dietician or coordinator or something you can call beforehand at Disney who can give you a heads up as to which foods are safe and which foods are not. I hear she's wonderful.
Wish Trippers Unite Volume Two!

Just believe and if you imagine, Just believe and your dreams will come true
Closed Thread

Tags
disabilities, gktw, make a wish, maw, wish trip

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: