Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 07:41 AM   #811
LeeLee2U
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5dwarves View Post
No problem...I relied heavily on them and on the Dis and Tour Guide Mike. If you want a confession on how OCD I was, I also made folders for each park (color coded of course), and put tabs in them for menus, character locations, and the suggested order of attack on attractions from TGM. I took the maps that were at the Gingerbread house at GKTW and put them in the pocket of the folder. I even made labels for the 3 prong folders that had disney clip art on it...yes, I am seriously troubled . I would tuck the folder in the back pocket of the stroller, and when things got a little crazy with crowds or the weather or the kids, I was able to refer back to my "plan" and make quick decisions about "what to do next." When we were at breakfast at GKTW on the first day, one of the retiree volunteers who had been at GKTW for over 10 years asked me if I needed any info on the park we were going to that day, and I told her I thought I was okay with my folder. I showed it to her and she laughed and said, could I show this to someone...she took it over to all the other volunteers who said they were amazed that I was so ready. I told them about the Dis, and how the Disboards were the reason I was so prepared. They were all very nice, but I think they wanted to tell me there were qualified professionals who could help me with my neurosis but I happen to like my neurosis, thank you very much!.
Well O.k. you put us all to shame with your plan within a plan!! But i for one was very gratefull. With all of your advice and yours and Wendys TRs I really felt like I had some experienced wisdom to lean on. And then of course the TRs that weren't wish trips but had great advice. I know our trip was so succesfull despite Braeton being sick almost the whole time because of the DIS boards.
And because of all the great PMs and post back and forth with you sharing tidbits. I won't ever forget and want you to know how much I appreciate you!!!!

OFFICIAL DISLAND DIRECTOR OF INSPIRATION

Wish Trippers Unite home Page
"Those that mind don't matter. Those that matter don't mind." Dr.SEUSS

I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth. PSALM 121:1-2

Please Don't Take Your Organs to Heaven.
Heaven Knows We Need Them Here!
Old 03-13-2009, 09:00 AM   #812
5dwarves
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We spent the most money on food for lunch. Drinks and snacks are very expensive in the parks (and the wish agencies know that so they try and allow for it.) There are 7 in my family, and lunch at a counter service place was always knocking on the door of $100. Hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2redheads View Post

HOLY COW!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Lin View Post
I never thought I would say this, but you have outdone me. I bow to you as the new champion over planner. Ain't it just fun?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaBabe View Post
Comment on photopass - if you don't get around to signing up for the prepaid cd before you go, it's ok. Just sign up, pay for it, and THEN after you get your code, upload your photopass numbers! The system doesn't know you've traveled until you do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeLee2U View Post
Well O.k. you put us all to shame with your plan within a plan!! But i for one was very gratefull. With all of your advice and yours and Wendys TRs I really felt like I had some experienced wisdom to lean on. And then of course the TRs that weren't wish trips but had great advice. I know our trip was so succesfull despite Braeton being sick almost the whole time because of the DIS boards.
And because of all the great PMs and post back and forth with you sharing tidbits. I won't ever forget and want you to know how much I appreciate you!!!!

Momto2redheads... I guess I should have said that of the 7 in my family, 5 of them are male...DH is 6'5" and my oldest DS is a teenager and is 6'3". Even though DS Connor is skinny, he eats like there is no tomorrow. We ate fish and chips in England at Epcot (7 orders) but then we did have dessert in France . We ate BBQ at flametree in AK and then had something to cool us off at a stucco restaurant on the way to the safari ...can't remember the name. Linda is right...drinks are extremely expensive. If you are having to buy drinks 2 times a day and the small/medium is $4.00 then you multiply that by 7 people...well, you can do the math. At Hollywood Studios we ate lunch at Pizza Planet, and I remember it was not quite as bad cost wise...they had combo deals there, it was pretty decent for amusement park pizza, and I got a salad with my combo We found that some of the snacks were enormous so the kids were able to share them...like the Mickey Pretzels. They were practically dinner plate sized and I could get one for every 2 kids. We ate at Harbor House at MK (I think that is the name...New England counterservice by the Presidents attraction) and that was about $80 (and also air conditioned)...they were VERY nice to us, brought us free dessert because the CM who was at the register saw the GKTW button. There are some decent deals there though. When a sugar snack was in order, I bought one of the balloon cluster looking things of mickey head lollipops. It was about $4.00 I think, and you get a bunch of small lollipops. Good for multiple days, one at a time.

Bill_Lin - Thank you ????? I still have my folders...I love my folders

LeeLee - Thank you for your kind words...We are leaving for TX on Sunday...I'll give you a call when we get there...time for some Bodacious BBQ! We can meet at the restaurant...I know that your boys aren't on spring break right now like my kids, so think of an evening that will be best for you. DH has to stay behind because of work issues, but we will be there with the rest of the crew. Looking forward to meeting you and your family in person!

LindaBabe - LOVE the tip on the Photopass. I bought mine when we got back. I entered my photo pass codes first though to see the pics. I could have saved money! Excellent tip!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2009, 02:41 PM   #813
Soon2B4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We ate at Harbor House at MK (I think that is the name...New England counterservice by the Presidents attraction) and that was about $80 (and also air conditioned)...they were VERY nice to us, brought us free dessert because the CM who was at the register saw the GKTW button. There are some decent deals there though.
It is Harbor House at MK. My DH likes to eat there and it isn't really ever busy. The other place to eat at AK is Pizzafari. It is nice and big inside and they have some different things on the menu than some of the other quick service restaurants. We took Aidan in Sept '08 during free dining and actually ate both breakfast and lunch (another day) at Pizzafari. For lunch they had pizza (of course) and chicken parm sandwiches. As far as drinks, the water fountain by It's a Small World is pretty cold. We would buy one bottle of water in the morning each and fill it up all day at the fountains. If staying at GKTW, I would buy a case of water from Wal-Mart and you could always fill up your bottle so you don't have to carry enough water for everyone all day.

If you really want to treat yourself, the Dole Whips are great! The stuffed pretzels can easily be shared as can the turkey legs. We actually also tried a caramel apple and split one apple between the 3 of us. Can you tell I am 32 weeks pregnant? Once you get me on the topic of food....I could go one forever!

Aidan's Pre-trip report:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post33984742
Old 03-13-2009, 02:47 PM   #814
Soon2B4
DIS Veteran

Aidan's Pre-trip report:

Last edited by Soon2B4; 03-13-2009 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #815
Momto2redheads
Earning My Ears

Momto2redheads... I guess I should have said that of the 7 in my family, 5 of them are male...DH is 6'5" and my oldest DS is a teenager and is 6'3".

Oh my...I know you love 'em, but I would hate to have your grocery bill. This actually makes me feel better though about what our cost might be.
At Hollywood Studios we ate lunch at Pizza Planet, and I remember it was not quite as bad cost wise...they had combo deals there, it was pretty decent for amusement park pizza, and I got a salad with my combo

I've already been told by my Toy-Story-Loving little princess pea that we HAVE to eat at Pizza Planet. I'm glad it shouldn't be too bad.

As far as drinks, the water fountain by It's a Small World is pretty cold. We would buy one bottle of water in the morning each and fill it up all day at the fountains. If staying at GKTW, I would buy a case of water from Wal-Mart and you could always fill up your bottle so you don't have to carry enough water for everyone all day.

Sounds like a good plan to me. We are planning a Walmart stop as soon as we get registered in at GKTW.If you really want to treat yourself, the Dole Whips are great! The stuffed pretzels can easily be shared as can the turkey legs. We actually also tried a caramel apple and split one apple between the 3 of us. Can you tell I am 32 weeks pregnant? Once you get me on the topic of food....I could go one forever! [/QUOTE]

Yummm...Dole Whip. I don't know what it is, but it sounds good. It sounds fruity and frothy. I'm going to have to hunt one of those babies down.

Tammy B
Old 03-13-2009, 03:57 PM   #816
Soon2B4
DIS Veteran

Yummm...Dole Whip. I don't know what it is, but it sounds good. It sounds fruity and frothy. I'm going to have to hunt one of those babies down.

Tammy B
[/QUOTE]

It is pineapple juice with a pineapple soft serve on top. It is in the MK in Adventure Land. If you go over the bridge coming from the main part of the park (hope that makes sense) it is on your right hand side. I looked it up on Allears.net and it is called the Aloha Isle. The cost is $2.89. NOW I WANT ONE!!

Aidan's Pre-trip report:
Old 03-13-2009, 04:17 PM   #817
Ppufi
Care Bear at Heart

Has anyone been to the new La Ti Da Spa at GKTW? I'm just curious as Twinkle Hope the My Little Pony is on the spa sign.

Imagine it, Create it.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #818
LeeLee2U
DIS Veteran

Quote:
LeeLee - Thank you for your kind words...We are leaving for TX on Sunday...I'll give you a call when we get there...time for some Bodacious BBQ! We can meet at the restaurant...I know that your boys aren't on spring break right now like my kids, so think of an evening that will be best for you. DH has to stay behind because of work issues, but we will be there with the rest of the crew. Looking forward to meeting you and your family in person!
Guess What??? we are on spring break all next week!! I'm so excited to get see ya'll!! If I can just keep us out of the Hospitals next week then we will be all set!!

For those that don't know My oldest son Tyler is going in the Hospial Tues for test. They believe he has a blockage in his stomach/intestine area but aren't for sure. They are going to do a scope and then go from there.
Tyler is our "healthy" child not our WISH child. In Nov he was diagnosed with Facial Cellulitos and PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) it was believed that all his stomach issues were because of all the High powered antibioticas and meds he was on. But now things aren't getting better in fact they are worse. Anyway I am glad we are finally getting test done and not just MORE meds prescribed. I know we have a lot to pray for right now but if ya'll could just breathe a little prayer for him I sure would appreciate it!! I try to act like it's no big deal but I'm scared. I didn't realize how much I realied on Tylers wellness if that makes sense!!!
If my husband or Braeton got sick I just went with the flow. I expect them to have problems. This thing with Tyler has got me all out of wack.

Sorry to ramble on. I just needed to vent I guess!! i know it will work out one way or the other. God has never failed to give us the strength we need to carry on and know that he will not stop now!!

OFFICIAL DISLAND DIRECTOR OF INSPIRATION

Wish Trippers Unite home Page
"Those that mind don't matter. Those that matter don't mind." Dr.SEUSS

I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth. PSALM 121:1-2

Please Don't Take Your Organs to Heaven.
Heaven Knows We Need Them Here!
Old 03-13-2009, 04:50 PM   #819
5dwarves
DIS Veteran

There is dining forum on the disboard with reviews and pictures of various things. One of the threads has a picture of a dole whip float...here is the link:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1712222&page=8

It is entry # 107. There are actually 3 threads with food pics now and two with birthday/anniversary/wedding cake pics...I realize some one is pregnant so proceed with caution...temptation ahead!
Old 03-13-2009, 05:03 PM   #820
5dwarves
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ppufi View Post
Has anyone been to the new La Ti Da Spa at GKTW? I'm just curious as Twinkle Hope the My Little Pony is on the spa sign.
That is new since we were there. I know that in the last couple of days I saw something about it, not sure if it was here on the DIS or on the GKTW site, but I can't find it. From what I read you can get a manicure and some tatoos there. The pics I saw showed 3 stylists and a large Twinkle Hope. I am sorry though, I can't find them again.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:06 PM   #821
5dwarves
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeLee2U View Post
Guess What??? we are on spring break all next week!! I'm so excited to get see ya'll!! If I can just keep us out of the Hospitals next week then we will be all set!!

For those that don't know My oldest son Tyler is going in the Hospial Tues for test. They believe he has a blockage in his stomach/intestine area but aren't for sure. They are going to do a scope and then go from there.
Tyler is our "healthy" child not our WISH child. In Nov he was diagnosed with Facial Cellulitos and PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) it was believed that all his stomach issues were because of all the High powered antibioticas and meds he was on. But now things aren't getting better in fact they are worse. Anyway I am glad we are finally getting test done and not just MORE meds prescribed. I know we have a lot to pray for right now but if ya'll could just breathe a little prayer for him I sure would appreciate it!! I try to act like it's no big deal but I'm scared. I didn't realize how much I realied on Tylers wellness if that makes sense!!!
If my husband or Braeton got sick I just went with the flow. I expect them to have problems. This thing with Tyler has got me all out of wack.

Sorry to ramble on. I just needed to vent I guess!! i know it will work out one way or the other. God has never failed to give us the strength we need to carry on and know that he will not stop now!!
LeeLee...I am sorry to hear that Tyler is sick right now. I hope that Braeton and DH (Shannon, right?) are both healthy this week. Did your DH get his kidney transplant yet?

~Elisa
Old 03-13-2009, 06:24 PM   #822
dmbfan
DIS Veteran

I just added a TON of pictures o Jake's pre trip thead of some Big Give pictures from today..I am still speechless after seeing what the Miller Family made for Jake and Hannah...I have two happy kids here tonight that don't want to take off any of the outfits ..even though it is 25 degrees here right now...

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you Big Give!!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post30800765
Old 03-13-2009, 08:18 PM   #823
keetmommy
Mouseketeer

Can I ask what the Big Give is??? I have seen it mentioned several times in this thread...
Thanks

(Oh and we are watching Disney shows on the DVR tonight planning our trip....only 92 days....)
Old 03-13-2009, 09:16 PM   #824
Bill_Lin
Grateful to God

Harbor House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon2B4 View Post
It is Harbor House at MK. My DH likes to eat there and it isn't really ever busy. The other place to eat at AK is Pizzafari. It is nice and big inside and they have some different things on the menu than some of the other quick service restaurants. We took Aidan in Sept '08 during free dining and actually ate both breakfast and lunch (another day) at Pizzafari. For lunch they had pizza (of course) and chicken parm sandwiches. As far as drinks, the water fountain by It's a Small World is pretty cold. We would buy one bottle of water in the morning each and fill it up all day at the fountains. If staying at GKTW, I would buy a case of water from Wal-Mart and you could always fill up your bottle so you don't have to carry enough water for everyone all day.

If you really want to treat yourself, the Dole Whips are great! The stuffed pretzels can easily be shared as can the turkey legs. We actually also tried a caramel apple and split one apple between the 3 of us. Can you tell I am 32 weeks pregnant? Once you get me on the topic of food....I could go one forever!
When we were there I was shocked the Harbor House closed around 5 p.m., but it was a nice, quite place to eat and close to some great rides like Haunted Mansion and Pirates.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:29 PM   #825
Bill_Lin
Grateful to God

Big Give and Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by keetmommy View Post
Can I ask what the Big Give is??? I have seen it mentioned several times in this thread...
Thanks

(Oh and we are watching Disney shows on the DVR tonight planning our trip....only 92 days....)
I am reluctant to discuss Big Give much. Let's just say, some folks like to give a special treat to Wish Trip Kids when they can. But there is always PLENTY of magic to go around.

I am reminiscing today about food, perhaps because of the changes I have been reading about at the Village. I see they have a "hamburger stand" type place now, which is a great idea. The new villas are amazing. Lysi fell in love with the pictures of them. Maybe all or our homes should look like that. I think the boutique at the Village is another great way to pamper the princesses.

Does anyone remember the strawberry waffles at the Gingerbread House during breakfast? They would have been enough to fill us up (YUM) even without the other great food. On one occasion we went early for "Continental Breakfast" so we could get an early start. We were amazed to find almost everything available at that time. Has anyone else experienced that?

We had big plans to get early starts each day... ha ha ha.. how little I knew. Sleeping became important. Consider all of the miles you and your kids will walk visiting the parks. The Village is not exactly the kind of place you want to hurry out from anyway, with all the magic there. Somehow, a morning whirlpool bath became a must (in addtion to the evening ones). Often in the morning their were characters visiting the Village that we wanted to see before we left.

For that reason we tanked up heavy at breakfast at the Village. We never came back for lunches. Our lunches in the park were typically counter service (which really means Cafeteria sit down style). The prices were not bad. Most evenings we were back at the Village for a big dinner. We ...... let me say that somehow we ended up with snacks in our packs to tide us over. On the two days that we were in parks for a long day, we had one combination late lunch early dinner meal. We were so focused on maximizing ride time that food was not on our mind that much.

Blessings!

Bill
Closed Thread

Tags
disabilities, gktw, make a wish, maw, wish trip

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: