Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 11:07 PM   #31
twinmum
DIS Veteran

Hello gang - thanks for the thoughts about our March Break. I did manage a bit of a chat with Peter, but I suspect a trip may be a non-starter...$$$ mostly.

Re: Kids Nite Out - we did see this on a literature before our trip, and it does exist...BUT "at least one parent must stay on GKTW property" during the evening. This does sound different from earlier days when parents were able to go have a meal off-site, and I think discounts/gift certificates were even offered. I imagine that GKTW had some difficulties managing medical needs, and I can understand why. We had hoped to have a night out as we were planning our trip, but had realized it was unlikely by the time we got there in early November. We did see the gang of kids and volunteers enjoying thier evening, including a special dinner at the Gingerbread House, but it had not fit into our plans, and our boys had not been keen on the idea.

If it sounds like something you are interested in, think about signing up you child(ren) (they need to knwo because they have a ratio of 1:1) and check out any interesting take out spots nearby (we didn't look so I don't have any recommendations. You could anjoy a quiet time in the villa, maybe a jacuzzi, and a meal at "home" while the kids whoop it up with the volunteers.

Alison
Old 12-28-2008, 11:16 PM   #32
Eeyores Butterfly

BL6 Blue Team Co-captain
I hope we never lose sight of one thing, it was all started by a mouse
I went "wow, that hurt"

Thanks for the clarification. I have not been down there since 06, so things may have changed. AT that time they were not doing it. It sounds like they may have ahd some trouble with how medically fragile some of the children are.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2008, 07:37 AM   #33
maroo
DIS Veteran

Hey guys!!!!

For those of you that have been following Noah's Journey from his TR, this will be a duplicate post...

But for the rest of you guys that have not been made aware of this families struggles, please take a minute to check out this blog and pray for this family.

Noah is 3 years old and has been approved for a Wish Trip to Disney! But he is very sick right now.

Here is a link to Noah's pre-trip report:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2031190

Here is the link to his blog with the most recent information!
http://www.noahgrantjohn.blogspot.com/
Old 12-29-2008, 07:43 AM   #34
maroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberGreenawalt View Post
Maroo, THANK you so much for everything that you have done!

I haven't been on much lately. We spent 7 out of ten days at the doctors. Siennah had her adenoids out and tubes in the day after Christmas and Savannah is having an endoscapy the day after tomorrow. I'll work on updating our trip report about it. 2008 has just been such a crazy year right up to the end!

I miss you guys!!! I've been getting my pics organized so Sebastian's MAW send off party and Day one of Disney are coming soon!

Much love and well wishes for 2009!
Woo Hoo!! TR is coming! Yeah!!!!!! I can't wait!

I hope you guys get some answers about Savannah. Maybe the scope will shed some light!

As far as the Parent's Night Out...I just love this board...because with all of our information, we can usually figure it out! With past folks that have gone...and people going in the next few weeks...and the folks planning trips way out...it is just so helpful to have all of that info!!!

I hope to start adding links on page 2 that will give information about the different things GKTW offers...and other MAW Trip Hints. As well as "regular" trip hints, since many of those are also useful to our trips! Help me out with any information that would be helpful here!
Old 12-29-2008, 08:32 AM   #35
maktrk96
Mouseketeer

Make a wish for Adults

I wish there was a place that would help adults wishes come true as well. My best friends has MS & in a wheelchair. She is raising her 15 year old daughter, she works a full time job, she is also putting her daughter through a Christain school (by the grace of GOD)! She is a wonderful hard working, caring, loving freind who is always there for me.

Anyway DH & I are going on a family trip to WDW/DCL and this is my friends dream so we invited & she put down her deposit for her and her daughter. So now its only 10 months away and its hard for her to finish paying off the trip plus getting passports. She is determined to do this.

I have tried differnt place to see about getting a wish for her and guess what everyone has told me. Because she is not terminal they can not do anything. That makes me so made. She may not be terminal, but darn she can not eat with a metal fork, spoon. She can not cut her own food. She can not pick up a cup. . I just pray that someday soon I will come across a wish foundation that would help my best friend out. She is an amazing woman and she does not let her handicap stop her.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:01 AM   #36
wendygrace
DIS Veteran

Geez, Amber, you can't cut a break, can you? I hope you find some answers here soon! My thoughts are with your family.

I will keep Noah and his family in my thoughts.

As for the Parent's Night Out, I personally wouldn't have been able to leave Michael with the volunteers and left property. And he wasn't even medically fragile. Not that I don't trust the volunteers but geez, I barely leave him with family! A nice night alone with dh in the villa with the jacuzzi would have been nice. We decided against it ourselves. I can't remember why though? There was just so much to do!

mrktrk96, look into your church group. Lots of places want to sponsor things like this but don't know how. They may have a fund for something like this.
Wish Trippers Unite Volume Two!

Just believe and if you imagine, Just believe and your dreams will come true
Old 12-29-2008, 09:50 AM   #37
maroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maktrk96 View Post
I wish there was a place that would help adults wishes come true as well. My best friends has MS & in a wheelchair. She is raising her 15 year old daughter, she works a full time job, she is also putting her daughter through a Christain school (by the grace of GOD)! She is a wonderful hard working, caring, loving freind who is always there for me.

Anyway DH & I are going on a family trip to WDW/DCL and this is my friends dream so we invited & she put down her deposit for her and her daughter. So now its only 10 months away and its hard for her to finish paying off the trip plus getting passports. She is determined to do this.

I have tried differnt place to see about getting a wish for her and guess what everyone has told me. Because she is not terminal they can not do anything. That makes me so made. She may not be terminal, but darn she can not eat with a metal fork, spoon. She can not cut her own food. She can not pick up a cup. . I just pray that someday soon I will come across a wish foundation that would help my best friend out. She is an amazing woman and she does not let her handicap stop her.

Have you already tried this one?

http://www.dreamfoundation.org/

I don't know anything about them. They were on the disABILITIES page (buried in a thread). I would be curious to know if they could help.

I know it is harder to raise money for adult wishes...so a lot of those foundations do less for the wish and have a harder time granting them all.

This one does mention "life limiting"...so maybe it is not a terminal only foundation?

And I thought MS was terminal? Eventually? I am not educated on that one!

I hope it works out for you guys!!! And please keep us posted!!
Old 12-29-2008, 11:58 PM   #38
llurgy
DIS Veteran

Nichole wrote last night on Noahs blog at 10pm (1am my time) and the outlook is very bleak for poor Noah.

All prayers and good wishes are needed to help Noah and his family at this difficult time.
Mandy

www.schtabs.com

Becca's MAW/GKTW/Disney Trip was January 21st to January 27th 2009
Me ...... David ...... Becca
Old 12-30-2008, 06:32 AM   #39
AmberGreenawalt
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by llurgy View Post
Nichole wrote last night on Noahs blog at 10pm (1am my time) and the outlook is very bleak for poor Noah.

All prayers and good wishes are needed to help Noah and his family at this difficult time.
Mandy
I've been following thier blog for awhile and it breaks my heart. Let's all storm the heavens with prayers today for a miracle for Noah!
Old 12-30-2008, 08:33 AM   #40
oklamomof4boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I've been following thier blog for awhile and it breaks my heart. Let's all storm the heavens with prayers today for a miracle for Noah!
I agree. I have been following her blog also. I wish there was something we could do for this family.

Nathan's magical wish trip- Pre trip report [/U]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1866940

4 night Wonder Cruise- July '07
Nathan's MAW trip to WDW- Nov '08
7 night NYE Magic Cruise- Dec '09
4night/5night back to back Dream Cruise followed by 6days at WDW-June '11
Disneyland- over 12 times and counting
Old 12-30-2008, 09:48 AM   #41
maroo
DIS Veteran

I agree...more prayers for Noah...and Nicole...and her whole family. I know they appreciate it right now!
Old 12-30-2008, 06:18 PM   #42
MondoWishes
MondoWishes

I found it!

Yeah! I found the new thread.... I've been reading and really need to get my game on to get our family ready for this Wish Trip. 3 months 12 days, and counting! Abbie is the tiniest soon-to-be-seven year old and I hope she's tall enough to ride rides! Emma is 10 and loves to go from ride to ride, so I'm sure it will be a busy trip. Part of Abbie's wish is to meet Cinderella and be in a parade... I wonder if that will happen? Getting so excited!!! Where do I even begin?????
Old 12-30-2008, 06:23 PM   #43
oklamomof4boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoWishes View Post
Yeah! I found the new thread.... I've been reading and really need to get my game on to get our family ready for this Wish Trip. 3 months 12 days, and counting! Abbie is the tiniest soon-to-be-seven year old and I hope she's tall enough to ride rides! Emma is 10 and loves to go from ride to ride, so I'm sure it will be a busy trip. Part of Abbie's wish is to meet Cinderella and be in a parade... I wonder if that will happen? Getting so excited!!! Where do I even begin?????
Yea! Very cool. I do know that when we were watching the Christmas parade on Christmas day, they showed several MAW kids whose wish was to be in the Christmas Parade. I was wishing my son had asked for that! Hopefully she'll be able to!

Carol

Nathan's magical wish trip- Pre trip report [/U]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1866940

4 night Wonder Cruise- July '07
Nathan's MAW trip to WDW- Nov '08
7 night NYE Magic Cruise- Dec '09
4night/5night back to back Dream Cruise followed by 6days at WDW-June '11
Disneyland- over 12 times and counting
Old 12-30-2008, 06:59 PM   #44
AmberGreenawalt
Mouseketeer

Quote:
YAY Kellie! Welcome back! I'm excited to have you guys over to look at our wish trip photos on Saturday. At the rate I am going with my trip report you will be the first to see the pics...aren't Ya'll jealous..HEE HEE
Old 12-30-2008, 07:06 PM   #45
maroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hello!! Glad you found the new thread!!!

Oh, I hope you will write a pre-trip report (and then a trip report, if you can!)...

Oh, being in a parade would be so much fun!!!!!!

Let us know what your plans are and we would love to help you plan! Is this your first trip to Disney??

Quote:
YAY Kellie! Welcome back! I'm excited to have you guys over to look at our wish trip photos on Saturday. At the rate I am going with my trip report you will be the first to see the pics...aren't Ya'll jealous..HEE HEE
WHAT?!?!?! No fair!!!!

We want pictures!!!!! And stories!!!!! Oh my goodness!

I guess you get a pass since you have been so, so busy...

but it is time to get out .... the....
Closed Thread

Tags
disabilities, gktw, make a wish, maw, wish trip

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: