Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 10:37 PM   #3616
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaBabe View Post
MommaMouse, You may find this web site helpful http://allears.net/din/guestceliac.htmThere is also a section in the book "WDW for your special needs" published by Passporter.
I don't knowif you saw the threads linked in post 3 in the disABILITIES FAQs thread, but there are a number that give experiences with celiac thst might be helpful.
There is a kink in my signature to the disABILITIES FAQs thread.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 12-17-2009, 10:38 PM   #3617
yinyanggirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_mouse View Post
I'm almost certain that will work IF I can tag a double stroller as a wheelchair. I don't know though... Anyone??
I'm glad Sue answered your question about the double. Here's one more thought.
If you are using a wheelchair (or stroller tagged as such) and another regular stroller, can you take the regular stroller through the exits, and special entrances or do you need to park that one outside with the others? I thought I remembered reading that some rides drop you off at a different exit than where you got on so I was just wondering.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-17-2009, 11:31 PM   #3618
momma_mouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
you can use a double stroller as a wheelchair as long as it is no wider than 32 inches and no longer than 48 inches. There may be a few lines where a stroller that large would be a tight fit, but it will be OK for the most part. They will tag a double to be used as a wheelchair - other people have done it.
Thanks so much! I think we've solved that problem then. I will tag our double as a wheelchair and use it for the 2 youngest, then oldest DD, 6, will get the rental. If she doesn't like it she can walk.

Our double is not too terribly big. It's a Maclaren and I can get it in about anywhere. I take it to the doctor's office, church, etc and I've never had a problem with it fitting so I doubt Disney would be a problem.

wife to a truck driver
mom to 3 -- DD10 , DS7 and DD6

Old 12-17-2009, 11:34 PM   #3619
momma_mouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
I don't knowif you saw the threads linked in post 3 in the disABILITIES FAQs thread, but there are a number that give experiences with celiac thst might be helpful.
There is a kink in my signature to the disABILITIES FAQs thread.
Well, unfortunately it's celiac as well as milk and soy allergies. If it was one or the other things would be easier, but that's not the case. I've been given a list of about 5 counter service locations that should be able to help. Other than that, our only options are table service which we won't be doing. (unless we end up getting a good amount of spending money)

wife to a truck driver
mom to 3 -- DD10 , DS7 and DD6

Old 12-18-2009, 10:33 AM   #3620
Savannah's Mami
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_mouse View Post
Well, unfortunately it's celiac as well as milk and soy allergies. If it was one or the other things would be easier, but that's not the case. I've been given a list of about 5 counter service locations that should be able to help. Other than that, our only options are table service which we won't be doing. (unless we end up getting a good amount of spending money)
We ate at Tomorrowland each time because the manager would have them bake a chicken breast for Savvy. She then also got carrot sticks with her meal and apple slices. It was tasty, healthy and no reaction (of course, I had Epi Pens on hand just in case)....only almost had to use the pen and it was not even on Savvy it was on a lady that said she was "allergic to kids" when looking at Savvy doing a twirl in her dress....

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2324802 - pre-trip report
Old 12-18-2009, 10:35 AM   #3621
Savannah's Mami
Mouseketeer

Just as an FYI - we asked for a double stroller at every park and the upgrade with the car version at Universal....they always gave it to us no problems!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2324802 - pre-trip report
Old 12-18-2009, 01:59 PM   #3622
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinyanggirls View Post
I'm glad Sue answered your question about the double. Here's one more thought.
If you are using a wheelchair (or stroller tagged as such) and another regular stroller, can you take the regular stroller through the exits, and special entrances or do you need to park that one outside with the others? I thought I remembered reading that some rides drop you off at a different exit than where you got on so I was just wondering.
People using wheelchairs or strollers as wheelchairs will always be able to bring it to the boarding area. If the normal boarding area is different than the normal exit, the attractions either have a wheelchair accessible boarding area which will be the same place as you exit or the CMs will bring the wheelchair/stroller to the exit after you board.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 12-18-2009, 02:54 PM   #3623
kellyw8863
DIS Veteran

Hi ladies!

Quick question - How long before you heard your child was approved for a wish and first contact from your child's wish granters? Just curious. Thanks!

Kelly

Maya (DD) - 9 Ali (DD - Wishkid) - 7

Old 12-18-2009, 03:50 PM   #3624
Somer
Make-a-Wish Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyw8863 View Post
Hi ladies!

Quick question - How long before you heard your child was approved for a wish and first contact from your child's wish granters? Just curious. Thanks!

Kelly
i think it was about 2 weeks or so...but it seemed like an eternity!

Mommy to Jozlynn,8 HRHS,PAIVS,TS,PAS,PFO,ASD(heart defects) www.littlezippers.com
and Ariana,6 Heart Healthy!

Old 12-18-2009, 09:57 PM   #3625
yinyanggirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi ladies!

Kelly
Ours took over a month but the first person who contacted me did say that it would take that long.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:46 AM   #3626
cantwaittoseemickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbfan View Post
So it looks like we can do a couple of night shifts at GKTW if we want...cool1: talk to the woman the other day and they are going to see if they can get us in the "Castle of Miracles" so Jake can help the kids make their "wish pilliows".... We are so excitied, as this was Jake's favorite place at GKTW...he goes everywhere with his pillow...so this would be so cool. I should know more after Christmas for sure...maybe sooner....can't wait...
That is great Christine! How wonderful you are going to volunteer there. We hope to see you there!
Old 12-19-2009, 11:07 AM   #3627
cantwaittoseemickey
DIS Veteran

Maroo Im sorry I missed your post that you were leaving. I was so busy reading all the posts lol. Hope you are having a great trip!
Old 12-19-2009, 02:11 PM   #3628
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

Here's a great story that was published in the Glens Falls (NY) Post Star. We raised 763 through the sale of angels for Make a Wish, in 4 hours the other morning, but it pales in comparison to the efforts of this little girl.
"GREENWICH -- For the 12 days of Christmas, 4,000 special letters to Santa have been collected and a miracle delivered through the actions of a 9-year-old girl.

When fourth-grade Greenwich student Justice White Sloan was 5 years old, she was the recipient of a weeklong trip to Disney World, courtesy of the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

For Justice, who suffers from liver and lung disease, the visit came two days after she was released from the Intensive Care Unit. It was an act of kindness she hasn't forgotten and one that inspired her to set a lofty goal during this holiday season.

After learning that the Macy's company would donate $1 to the Make-A-Wish Foundation for every letter to Santa it receives, Justice began a campaign encouraging people in her community to write letters to Santa. The goal was to accumulate as many letters as possible and deliver them to Macy's, which would in turn help provide a magical trip for an area child through the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

"Imagine if we get more than 1,000 letters. That would be a true Christmas miracle," she wrote in a letter that was distributed throughout the community.

"A lot of the diseases like mine will never go away - only get worse," Justice wrote.

"When you tuck your kids in on Christmas Eve, think of what you did for a child who may never have another Christmas Eve. I know this is sad but it is true. Show me and every other child out there what it means to really believe in miracles. Make them come true."

Justice's family encouraged the community to write letters and deliver them to the Sloan home for temporary safe-keeping.

Drop locations for letters to Santa were organized at area businesses.

Justice's mom, Tiffany Sloan, talked up the letter drive at the local convenience store where she works.

At first, a handful of letters arrived. Their numbers multiplied by dozens, then to several hundred.

"She was determined that she was going to do it," said Justice's dad, Sam Sloan.

Word spread throughout the community by word of mouth, then across the country on the Internet.

"Before I knew it, there were a thousand letters. Geez-um. They just kept coming in," he said, of the letters postmarked with the state names of Rhode Island, Wisconsin and California, among others.

More than 3,000 letters have been delivered to the Sloan family home, and Friday morning Santa and Mrs. Claus visited the Greenwich school carrying a big, red bag that held more than a 1,000 more letters to Justice, after they, too, took up the girl's cause.

The letters were delivered during a morning program session in front of about 250 elementary school students in Greenwich, where the walls are highlighted by the apropos school motto: "Dream it. Believe it. Do it."

"There are some boys and girls who are really, really sick. We grant them a wish to help them feel better," William Trigg, CEO of the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Northeastern New York, told the students gathered at Greenwich on Friday.

Schools in Washington and Saratoga counties have also been collecting letters to Santa that they will deliver to Justice.

By the time all the letters are delivered to Macy's in Colonie on Sunday, the family hopes to have between 8,000 and 10,000 letters.

Trigg oversees the organization in the 15 counties that cover the 518 area code.

Based on Justice's efforts alone, one or two wishes will be granted to children in the region, Trigg said."
Old 12-20-2009, 12:55 AM   #3629
pipersmom
DIS Veteran

What an awesome story, Linda. We had Piper's school do letters but only had about 200. Still an ok number, but if they do it again next year, I'm thinking we need to branch out, lol.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:29 AM   #3630
pnutallergymom
Mouseketeer

Wish Granters

Quote:
Hi ladies!

Kelly

I think ours was about 3 weeks to Kelly...It did seem like forever.

Shannon (mom) Bryan (dad)
Brenna (8) Jake (7) Sean(6) Brigitte (3) Wish Child
Brigitte's PTR Make a Wish Trip
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2357435
www.carepages.com
CarePage Name: TheChristmasMiracle
Closed Thread

Tags
disabilities, gktw, make a wish, maw, wish trip

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: