Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 09:06 PM   #3541
dmbfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroo View Post
WOO HOO!!!!!

How is Jakers!?!?!?

So, you are going to be able to volunteer at GKTW? That would be so awesome! You guys are going to have a great time!

I hope you will do a pre-trip and trip report! That would be so neat to see!
Jake is doing good...we have good days and bad days, but mostly good.

Yes we sent in our applications to GKTW today, so hopefully I will hear something by the end of the week. We are going to be staying at Port Orleans French Quarters, leaving Feb 16th to Feb 23rd.

I am not sure if I will do a trip report, with school and all, life is crazy, but you never know, I just may...

We just can not wait to go back and volunteer...Jake wants to do the Wish pillows.

Has anyone gone back as a wish family to volunteer? Would love to hear how it went.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:54 PM   #3542
pipersmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryrn11168 View Post
Hi all!! I have a question...not to sound impatient, The wish granters met with my son about three weeks ago and we have not heard anything from them since. I have no contact information either......How long does it take for them to get back to you???

My boss is after me for my vacation request for the 1st quarter and I don't have my dates!!

Mary
Hey, Mary...it varies from chapter to chapter, but I don't think 3 weeks is totally unusual. Since you need the info, I would look up the info for your chapter on the web and give them a call or an e-mail.
Register to remove

Old 12-08-2009, 11:22 PM   #3543
Momofwishkid
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi all!! I have a question...not to sound impatient, The wish granters met with my son about three weeks ago and we have not heard anything from them since. I have no contact information either......How long does it take for them to get back to you???

My boss is after me for my vacation request for the 1st quarter and I don't have my dates!!

Mary
Hi Mary! Did you give your wish granters the dates you want? With us we initially put our wanted dates on the paperwork and then a few weeks later they called to varify the dates and then it took another two weeks and they called and had us chose between 2 different weeks, it was another few weeks before we got final confirmation and flight times all at once! So exciting. I would definetley give your chapter a call and let them know your concerns but 3 weeks really dosent sound unreasonable. Hope you get it all worked out and come back to make PTR all about it.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:00 AM   #3544
maroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Mary
I second what everyone else wrote! I would just call them and see if they know anything. Kindly explain your situation and I am sure that they will be more than happy to help you!

You may also want to tell your boss that you have a wish trip planned and don't have dates yet...and see what they would normally do in that situation? Not sure what type of job you have...but I would hope that they would give some allowances for a wish trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbfan View Post
Jake is doing good...we have good days and bad days, but mostly good.

Yes we sent in our applications to GKTW today, so hopefully I will hear something by the end of the week. We are going to be staying at Port Orleans French Quarters, leaving Feb 16th to Feb 23rd.

I am not sure if I will do a trip report, with school and all, life is crazy, but you never know, I just may...

We just can not wait to go back and volunteer...Jake wants to do the Wish pillows.

Has anyone gone back as a wish family to volunteer? Would love to hear how it went.
I don't know of any DISer families that have gone back to volunteer! I can't wait to hear how that goes! I think it is precious!!!

Hopefully you guys will run into some of the ToT CM's that made your wish trip so magical! I still tell that story to people!!

I am so glad that Jake is doing well! I follow your updates and am always glad to see good news! (Or even no news...which is usually good news!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipersmom View Post
Hey, Mary...it varies from chapter to chapter, but I don't think 3 weeks is totally unusual. Since you need the info, I would look up the info for your chapter on the web and give them a call or an e-mail.
Totally agree with this!
Old 12-09-2009, 09:07 AM   #3545
kellyw8863
DIS Veteran

Hey there!

It's official - Ali will be granted her "one true wish"! We are 99.9% sure she is going to choose Disney (she has questions for Ariel ). So now that I don't feel like I will be jinxing us, I will probably be around more often now. She said that we should hear from Ali's wish granters sometime within the next week, and we'll get this show on the road. Then I can start planning in earnest. It will be so nice to research something fun instead of diseases, treatments, and surgical outcomes.

Kelly

Maya (DD) - 9 Ali (DD - Wishkid) - 7

Old 12-09-2009, 09:34 AM   #3546
maroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyw8863 View Post
Hey there!

It's official - Ali will be granted her "one true wish"! We are 99.9% sure she is going to choose Disney (she has questions for Ariel ). So now that I don't feel like I will be jinxing us, I will probably be around more often now. She said that we should hear from Ali's wish granters sometime within the next week, and we'll get this show on the road. Then I can start planning in earnest. It will be so nice to research something fun instead of diseases, treatments, and surgical outcomes.

Kelly
Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-09-2009, 09:57 AM   #3547
maroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_mouse View Post
Has anyone that's stayed at GKTW had to deal with food allergies (that were not related to the wish child) and other meal modifications?

Cambell has Celiac and is also allergic to milk and soy. Will they have things she can eat or do I need to plan on hitting up a health food store when I get there? (Speaking of which, where is one so we can pick up some snacks and stuff? Is there a Whole Foods close by?)

Do I need to call GKTW ahead of time and let them know her meal restrictions?

What about US (if we go, not sure yet) and Sea World? Will they be as helpful as Disney is with food allergies or will I need to take everything in for her?
Well...I have an answer to your question...

We have a literal GKTW Angel that is contacting me on Facebook to answer your question!

The ultimate lurker! She lurks and then just sends messages to my Facebook page when she wants to give an answer. Cracks me up!

Here is her answer...

Sorry but this is the only way I know how to contact you. I am a volunteer at GKTW and can answer a wish tripper momma mouse's question.There is a Whole Foods Store but not by GKTW. It is very close to Universal Studios. Take the Sandlake Road exit (just after the Sea World exit and right before the Universal Studios exit. Go left under I-4 to the 2nd traffic light - Turkey Lake Road. The Whole Foods is on that corner on the Left.If they continue on Sandlake Road to the next traffic light - Dr. Phillips Blvd and turn Right on Dr. Phillips there is an excellent - though expensive Health foods door in that strip mall on the right - Chamberlain's.

I hope this helps. I am always glad to answer questions for the trippers. If there is a better way to contact you let me know. I won't bother you often - only if I see there is a question that no one else knows the answer to.

Feel free to contact me any time you would like! I will send you my email address...since I check that more often than Facebook.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:49 AM   #3548
kellyw8863
DIS Veteran

Thanks, Maroo! We're positively thrilled for her to have something to look forward to, though I know she's a little young to understand the whole scope of things.

For those of you with multiple children, how do you address the needs of the non-wish child? As soon as I got off the phone with MAW and relayed the news to my husband, my other daughter wanted to know when she was going to get her wish. We've never really talked to Maya about Ali's mitochondrial disease, though she certainly knows something is up. And to be honest, I'm not sure I'm ready to address it just yet because we certainly don't treat Ali like she is "sick." And for the most part, her health is stable right now so I don't want to go there in my mind, either. So thoughts on how to address it? Thanks so much!

Kelly

Old 12-09-2009, 11:53 AM   #3549
dmbfan
DIS Veteran

Hey Kelly....So funny your here, I was just going to send you this link...but you beat to it.

I really hope you can go during Feb vacation...that would be so cool to be able to see you at the villiage...plus ask me anything about the trip....

By the way you HAVE to do a Pre-Trip report...it is a must on these boards....:0
Old 12-09-2009, 12:09 PM   #3550
kellyw8863
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbfan View Post
Hey Kelly....So funny your here, I was just going to send you this link...but you beat to it.

I really hope you can go during Feb vacation...that would be so cool to be able to see you at the villiage...plus ask me anything about the trip....

By the way you HAVE to do a Pre-Trip report...it is a must on these boards....:0
He he. Unfortunately, our first choice is April vacation because Garth and Gabe will both still have winter track over February vacation, and I think they even have a meet that week. It will be our second choice, though, and if they can't accommodate either week, then we'll have to wait until next year. But, it would be so cool to see you within that context and share a moment with you guys! And I will start a pre-trip report if she officially chooses Disney - I already have tons of questions! In the meantime, off to do some reading starting with your pre-trip report!

Old 12-09-2009, 12:44 PM   #3551
maroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks, Maroo! We're positively thrilled for her to have something to look forward to, though I know she's a little young to understand the whole scope of things.

For those of you with multiple children, how do you address the needs of the non-wish child? As soon as I got off the phone with MAW and relayed the news to my husband, my other daughter wanted to know when she was going to get her wish. We've never really talked to Maya about Ali's mitochondrial disease, though she certainly knows something is up. And to be honest, I'm not sure I'm ready to address it just yet because we certainly don't treat Ali like she is "sick." And for the most part, her health is stable right now so I don't want to go there in my mind, either. So thoughts on how to address it? Thanks so much!

Kelly
Of course...this totally varies family to family...
It would be particularly hard since Maya doesn't really know about Ali's condition...so maybe that would be a starting place? But I understand if you just don't want to go there...

And I expect it would be strange for Maya - since Ali doesn't "seem" sick - I would think that may even prompt Maya to want to be "sick" too...since it doesn't seem so bad.

To be honest...this was a problem for Lauren's trip...William was really jealous of her. Especially since William had been sick, too. William had spent just as many days in the hospital and day-to-day is probably "sicker" than Lauren (GI issues, etc). We joke that Lauren is the healthiest member of their family - she takes less medicine...and despite the fact that she can't walk or breathe right and will probably die of her condition sooner rather than later, she IS healthier than the rest of the family...

So this was a struggle for them.

William threw several "fits" when the wish granters would come and bring things for Lauren and not him...Lauren told William during one of these episodes that she picked Disney so that the whole family could have a trip (which was true) and we told William that Lauren could have picked something that she would have only benefited from...like a shopping spree or meeting a famous person, etc. So that helped a bit.

The other thing was making sure there was something special for William. On our trip, it was the Pirate Dinner Adventure (which was a nightmare and a whole different story) - and that was William's night and we made a BIG deal about it being HIS night!

GKTW does an excellent job of making the siblings feel special. For the most part, most of what they do they also do for the sibling...toys, gifts, etc...are given to both children. So that helps.

Our MAW chapter did not do this, though, and were vocal about this being "only for Lauren" and only brought stuff only for her. If we could do it all over again, we would have had toys for William for that night - we just did not anticipate that problem.

Short of telling her she is sick... I don't know? You could probably tell her she is sick and not make it seem like a big deal...but tell her that sick kids get to pick a wish. But the next time she has a virus...

I think just making a point to include her in the planning..."what do YOU want to ride"...what do you want to do...etc. And maybe a special event just for her that is all about her and make it a BIG deal.

Just the fact that you are being sensitive to it is a big help. It is so hard on the siblings, too.

Last edited by maroo; 12-09-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:27 PM   #3552
momma_mouse
Mouseketeer

Does anyone know how things work if you have to reschedule after your dates have already been booked and tickets have been purchased? I hope we don't have to go that route, but there is a lot going on in our lives right now and I'm not sure a trip to Disney in 6 weeks is going to be feasible. Or if we do go, it may just be my and Sloan and no one else. So again, 3 extra tickets purchased but not used. I feel horrible even thinking about it.

wife to a truck driver
mom to 3 -- DD10 , DS7 and DD6

Old 12-09-2009, 04:15 PM   #3553
momma_mouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroo View Post
Well...I have an answer to your question...

We have a literal GKTW Angel that is contacting me on Facebook to answer your question!

The ultimate lurker! She lurks and then just sends messages to my Facebook page when she wants to give an answer. Cracks me up!

Here is her answer...

Sorry but this is the only way I know how to contact you. I am a volunteer at GKTW and can answer a wish tripper momma mouse's question.There is a Whole Foods Store but not by GKTW. It is very close to Universal Studios. Take the Sandlake Road exit (just after the Sea World exit and right before the Universal Studios exit. Go left under I-4 to the 2nd traffic light - Turkey Lake Road. The Whole Foods is on that corner on the Left.If they continue on Sandlake Road to the next traffic light - Dr. Phillips Blvd and turn Right on Dr. Phillips there is an excellent - though expensive Health foods door in that strip mall on the right - Chamberlain's.

I hope this helps. I am always glad to answer questions for the trippers. If there is a better way to contact you let me know. I won't bother you often - only if I see there is a question that no one else knows the answer to.

Feel free to contact me any time you would like! I will send you my email address...since I check that more often than Facebook.
Thanks! That's good to know. Now I can just buy when we get there instead of trying to pack it on the airplane. I e-mailed Disney and they were not very helpful with a list of foods she could eat. They seemed to only want to help out with table service meals which we won't have any of. So, I guess we will be packing all of her meals. They listed a couple of counter service places, but not safe foods for her.

wife to a truck driver
mom to 3 -- DD10 , DS7 and DD6

Old 12-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #3554
dmbfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
He he. Unfortunately, our first choice is April vacation because Garth and Gabe will both still have winter track over February vacation, and I think they even have a meet that week. It will be our second choice, though, and if they can't accommodate either week, then we'll have to wait until next year. But, it would be so cool to see you within that context and share a moment with you guys! And I will start a pre-trip report if she officially chooses Disney - I already have tons of questions! In the meantime, off to do some reading starting with your pre-trip report!
Ughhhh....I get it.....and I am sure Feb would be to soon, so they will give your April dates for sure...would just love to be there when Ali did her wish pillow or star...

Can't wait to follow her trip report...it really is amazing being on the other end ( after your wish trip) cause you know what this family ( yours) will be going to expereince....
Old 12-09-2009, 11:41 PM   #3555
alizesmom
Pumba is my hero but I love Donald

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_mouse View Post
Does anyone know how things work if you have to reschedule after your dates have already been booked and tickets have been purchased? I hope we don't have to go that route, but there is a lot going on in our lives right now and I'm not sure a trip to Disney in 6 weeks is going to be feasible. Or if we do go, it may just be my and Sloan and no one else. So again, 3 extra tickets purchased but not used. I feel horrible even thinking about it.
I'm not sure if it works the same for all MAW districts but ours was able to reschedule us for a later date with the same airline.

Tags
disabilities, gktw, make a wish, maw, wish trip

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: