Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-27-2008, 08:07 PM   #16
jessica52877
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,492

Hope you'll don't mind if I come over too!
__________________

Ebay ID - Jessica52877
jessica52877 is offline  
Old 12-27-2008, 08:31 PM   #17
maroo
DIS Veteran
 
maroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: MS
Posts: 8,042

EVERYONE is welcome!!! Of course!!

In fact, please make sure all of the Disboutiquers know about the change, too!

I hope the updating of the TR's helps you guys, too.

And if you know of a trip I don't have, please let me know!
maroo is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-27-2008, 08:52 PM   #18
teresajoy
World's Proudest Aunt!
There is no such thing as too young or too old for Disney World!
Thinks glow in the dark ricrak is cool
 
teresajoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,365

Just popping in to say hi!

You shouldn't have to worry about starting another new thread here until you get to page 250, that's when they close them down.
__________________
Me&Brian8/88 Lydia11Corey21Arminda15
Quinn2/29/96 &Gavin 2/24/97Gone too soon
/Sort of a trip report PrincessHeirlooms on Ebay/Etsy
teresajoy is offline  
Old 12-27-2008, 09:19 PM   #19
wendygrace
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 948

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresajoy View Post
Just popping in to say hi!

You shouldn't have to worry about starting another new thread here until you get to page 250, that's when they close them down.
Hi! Thanks for joining us! The main reason for starting a new thread is that the "leader" is changing hands and the first post gets updated very often as trip reports come and go.

Thanks again for taking this on Maroo!! I definetly think locking the old thread is the way to go with the last post being the linky to this thread in big bold letters. I should also go and link it on the first post so that people know if they look at the first page that we have moved on and where to find us. I'll go do that now!!
__________________
Wendy
My Make-A-Wish Trip Report...Picture Update Page 30-31
Wish Trippers...Unite!
Wish Trippers Unite Volume Two!

Just believe and if you imagine, Just believe and your dreams will come true
wendygrace is offline  
Old 12-28-2008, 12:21 AM   #20
LuvGoing2Disney7
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: WA
Posts: 292

Thanks Maroo for the PM about the new board.

If you missed it I've started our TR.

Day 1 http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1927211&page=9

Day 2 Part 1 http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=149
__________________
DeAnna, Steve and our Fab Five

Zander Drew (Wish Kid) Ryan Madilynn
Mark,Meagan & Grandbaby Mason
Cody

Drew's Wish Comes True
www.drewmakesawish.blogspot.com
LuvGoing2Disney7 is offline  
Old 12-28-2008, 09:05 AM   #21
twinmum
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 795

Hello everyone! So after my pity party posting the other day (thankfully relegated to our first thread and hopefully to be hereby ignored), I am doing my best to keep my chin up and be more positive.

So now I have a question for my friends spread over the lovely USA. You'll remember that we are from Toronto, Canada, where we've had a fairly snowy couple of weeks, although yesterday was "warm" and rainy - the snow was melting so fast it created quite a bit of fog.

The last week or two has reminded me that it is so very tough for Mark to get around outside by himself in the winter months. It's a real drag for him, and it does end up affecting his mood and sleep patterns. We do downhill ski as a family (Mark is in a sit-ski with guides), but that is just not enough to get us through the winter. I've also been thinking longingly of our wonderful time at WDW in November, and thinking about all the fresh air and exercise (as well as FUN!!!). LAst March Break, I swore never again would we just sit at home. My plan was to take Mark someplace and have Peter take Douglas on a ski trip...but that just didn't get organized.

Which brings me to my question. March Break is coming (not soon enough!) and, as usual, we have no plans. Now this is a rotten year to try and pitch a March Break trip to my hubby, what with renovation expenses and needing to be nearby as we'll be in the last month of inside work then, the economy is terrible and we're being careful with money, Peter is tight on vacation time (guess I shouldn't be so easy to OK that ski trip of his in January!?!) so I'd have to go on my own with the boys, and so on.

However, if I could think of someplace warmish, with easy walking and relatively accessible), fine (safe) and fun for a mum and her 2 10 year old boys, and great value (but still nice enough, we do deserve some spoiling after all, if we're going!) and easy travel (they weren't so good on their first taste of jet lag last year)...maybe I'd give it a try. Of course, the obvious answer is "I wanna go to DisneyWorld!", but that is just not happening. I have a friend with a place in Vero Beach Florida, but I think she'll have a full house.

Anyone have any sugggestions to fuel my dreams?

Thanks,
Alison
__________________
Sorry, there is just a Pre-Trip Report for Mark's Starlight Wish Trip:
November 2008: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1883215
With a brief report on Mark's wonderful Wish Trip!
twinmum is offline  
Old 12-28-2008, 06:00 PM   #22
dmbfan
DIS Veteran
 
dmbfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 512

Just favorited placed Volume 2...

I do have a quick question. For those of you that took another family member with you as an extra set of hands, and MAW did not pay for them, were they able to stay with you at GKTW, and were they able to eat there with you as well?

I talked to our volunteers last week that told me they usually shy away from having outside family members go with you as a PCA/AID, but with the boston one, it is a case by case basis, and we will submit the paperwork tomorrow night to see if they will approve my sister to go with us, as she helps me almost daily with Jake's care. They did tell me that she would be able to go with us on her won dime, but I assume that means flight, but what else cause they told me that she would be able to stay with at GKTW, but will she have to pay if we eat there? And will she have to pay for own park tickets? And if she does, will she be able to be in our party at the parks?

I know I will find out more tomorrow, but just wanted to hear how it worked for those of you that had family members go they were not taken care by MAW, but went to help you with your child's medical needs.

Thanks
__________________
Jake's Make-A-Wish Disney Trip 3/09 (alot of pictures)
dmbfan is offline  
Old 12-28-2008, 07:12 PM   #23
LindaBabe


DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Upstate NY transplanted to NW Georgia
Posts: 10,280

Alison, would one of those indoor water parks fill the bill for a long weekend at Spring Break? There really aren't too many easy walking, warm places - I love the beach, but it seriously is NOT easy walking, so I always go back to Disney.

Christine, Your sister will be able to be with you in the parks, no matter where she gets her tickets. I don't know how GKTW will work the food, but I do know the meal places are not set up for cash transactions. Hopefully your wish organization will be able to sort it out for you.

If you would like postcards sent to your wish kids and their sibs during January, please PM me their names, ages and snail mail addy's as well as anything else that might be helpful to personalize the card - (like when they are going or when they went, etc.) I leave January 5th.
__________________

Last edited by LindaBabe; 12-28-2008 at 07:14 PM. Reason: add postcard request info
LindaBabe is offline  
Old 12-28-2008, 07:54 PM   #24
Eeyores Butterfly

BL6 Blue Team Co-captain
I hope we never lose sight of one thing, it was all started by a mouse
I went "wow, that hurt"
 
Eeyores Butterfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Blue Springs, MO
Posts: 5,486

Hello all, I participated off and on on the old thread. Haven't done much lately cause of some issues that happened to me this past semester, but I should be able to participate more now that it is over!

For those who don't know me, I am a former CM in entertainment and Fanstasyland Attractions. I have dealt with countless Wish families in both their roles, and can honestly say that Wish families are by far the favorites of the CMs. If you have any questions you need a CM to answer, I am happy to help.

I was also an "Angel" at Give Kids the World (Angels are Volunteers). Through the College Program I volunteered at the Parents Night Out which no longer exists. Later on I started going on my own and have done various things around the resort, from driving the Cookie Cart and the Little and Big Blue Trains, to working Amberville. I can answer questions about Give Kids the World if you need it.

I am more than happy to help, and wish all of you who are currently planning trips lots of luck. It truly is the trip of a lifetime, and your families bring so much joy into the lives of the Angels and the CMs.
__________________
Jessi 3x CP Rides & Entertainment Aaron (DH) Eragon & Matthias Eowyn & Jasper Disneymoon through a CM's eyes: A TR
Eeyores Butterfly is offline  
Old 12-28-2008, 09:19 PM   #25
maroo
DIS Veteran
 
maroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: MS
Posts: 8,042

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendygrace View Post
Hi! Thanks for joining us! The main reason for starting a new thread is that the "leader" is changing hands and the first post gets updated very often as trip reports come and go.

Thanks again for taking this on Maroo!! I definetly think locking the old thread is the way to go with the last post being the linky to this thread in big bold letters. I should also go and link it on the first post so that people know if they look at the first page that we have moved on and where to find us. I'll go do that now!!
You are so sweet, wendygrace!!

A link on that first page would be a good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmum View Post
Hello everyone! So after my pity party posting the other day (thankfully relegated to our first thread and hopefully to be hereby ignored), I am doing my best to keep my chin up and be more positive.

So now I have a question for my friends spread over the lovely USA. You'll remember that we are from Toronto, Canada, where we've had a fairly snowy couple of weeks, although yesterday was "warm" and rainy - the snow was melting so fast it created quite a bit of fog.

The last week or two has reminded me that it is so very tough for Mark to get around outside by himself in the winter months. It's a real drag for him, and it does end up affecting his mood and sleep patterns. We do downhill ski as a family (Mark is in a sit-ski with guides), but that is just not enough to get us through the winter. I've also been thinking longingly of our wonderful time at WDW in November, and thinking about all the fresh air and exercise (as well as FUN!!!). LAst March Break, I swore never again would we just sit at home. My plan was to take Mark someplace and have Peter take Douglas on a ski trip...but that just didn't get organized.

Which brings me to my question. March Break is coming (not soon enough!) and, as usual, we have no plans. Now this is a rotten year to try and pitch a March Break trip to my hubby, what with renovation expenses and needing to be nearby as we'll be in the last month of inside work then, the economy is terrible and we're being careful with money, Peter is tight on vacation time (guess I shouldn't be so easy to OK that ski trip of his in January!?!) so I'd have to go on my own with the boys, and so on.

However, if I could think of someplace warmish, with easy walking and relatively accessible), fine (safe) and fun for a mum and her 2 10 year old boys, and great value (but still nice enough, we do deserve some spoiling after all, if we're going!) and easy travel (they weren't so good on their first taste of jet lag last year)...maybe I'd give it a try. Of course, the obvious answer is "I wanna go to DisneyWorld!", but that is just not happening. I have a friend with a place in Vero Beach Florida, but I think she'll have a full house.

Anyone have any sugggestions to fuel my dreams?

Thanks,
Alison
Everyone is allowed a pity party every now and then!! And who better to share it with than your friends online!

Let's see...I have no idea? But you are sure the "deal" at Disney would not be do-able? We priced it and could not do it...but if you are already flying...seems like it could work with the 4 nights free or whatever it is? Totally value resort, etc. You would have to watch the eating out at Disney? Gosh...I vote for Disney! Do I get a vote? Tell your husband...that we said you should go to Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbfan View Post
Just favorited placed Volume 2...

I do have a quick question. For those of you that took another family member with you as an extra set of hands, and MAW did not pay for them, were they able to stay with you at GKTW, and were they able to eat there with you as well?

I talked to our volunteers last week that told me they usually shy away from having outside family members go with you as a PCA/AID, but with the boston one, it is a case by case basis, and we will submit the paperwork tomorrow night to see if they will approve my sister to go with us, as she helps me almost daily with Jake's care. They did tell me that she would be able to go with us on her won dime, but I assume that means flight, but what else cause they told me that she would be able to stay with at GKTW, but will she have to pay if we eat there? And will she have to pay for own park tickets? And if she does, will she be able to be in our party at the parks?

I know I will find out more tomorrow, but just wanted to hear how it worked for those of you that had family members go they were not taken care by MAW, but went to help you with your child's medical needs.

Thanks
Gosh...MAW paid for me. And I am not even "family." If Jake needs extra hands, they will probably approve you to go. ?? Lauren needs extra hands. And her little bro has some special needs and her dad is a brittle diabetic...so maybe that is why they let me go?

It is my understanding (and someone correct us here) that you would pay for flight, food in the parks, tickets...but you can eat at GKTW for little to no money. But...I am not sure about lodging? I would guess they could stay with you?

You could definitely stay with their party at the parks, for sure! They don't really care how many people are with the Wish family, really. You just tell the CM the number so that someone doesn't just walk in behind you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaBabe View Post
Alison, would one of those indoor water parks fill the bill for a long weekend at Spring Break? There really aren't too many easy walking, warm places - I love the beach, but it seriously is NOT easy walking, so I always go back to Disney.

Christine, Your sister will be able to be with you in the parks, no matter where she gets her tickets. I don't know how GKTW will work the food, but I do know the meal places are not set up for cash transactions. Hopefully your wish organization will be able to sort it out for you.

If you would like postcards sent to your wish kids and their sibs during January, please PM me their names, ages and snail mail addy's as well as anything else that might be helpful to personalize the card - (like when they are going or when they went, etc.) I leave January 5th.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyores Butterfly View Post
Hello all, I participated off and on on the old thread. Haven't done much lately cause of some issues that happened to me this past semester, but I should be able to participate more now that it is over!

For those who don't know me, I am a former CM in entertainment and Fanstasyland Attractions. I have dealt with countless Wish families in both their roles, and can honestly say that Wish families are by far the favorites of the CMs. If you have any questions you need a CM to answer, I am happy to help.

I was also an "Angel" at Give Kids the World (Angels are Volunteers). Through the College Program I volunteered at the Parents Night Out which no longer exists. Later on I started going on my own and have done various things around the resort, from driving the Cookie Cart and the Little and Big Blue Trains, to working Amberville. I can answer questions about Give Kids the World if you need it.

I am more than happy to help, and wish all of you who are currently planning trips lots of luck. It truly is the trip of a lifetime, and your families bring so much joy into the lives of the Angels and the CMs.
Thank you for helping us!! I didn't realize they didn't do parents night out anymore? It is still on their website? We almost planned to do it?
maroo is offline  
Old 12-28-2008, 09:57 PM   #26
Eeyores Butterfly

BL6 Blue Team Co-captain
I hope we never lose sight of one thing, it was all started by a mouse
I went "wow, that hurt"
 
Eeyores Butterfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Blue Springs, MO
Posts: 5,486

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroo View Post
You are so sweet, wendygrace!!

A link on that first page would be a good idea!



Everyone is allowed a pity party every now and then!! And who better to share it with than your friends online!

Let's see...I have no idea? But you are sure the "deal" at Disney would not be do-able? We priced it and could not do it...but if you are already flying...seems like it could work with the 4 nights free or whatever it is? Totally value resort, etc. You would have to watch the eating out at Disney? Gosh...I vote for Disney! Do I get a vote? Tell your husband...that we said you should go to Disney!



Gosh...MAW paid for me. And I am not even "family." If Jake needs extra hands, they will probably approve you to go. ?? Lauren needs extra hands. And her little bro has some special needs and her dad is a brittle diabetic...so maybe that is why they let me go?

It is my understanding (and someone correct us here) that you would pay for flight, food in the parks, tickets...but you can eat at GKTW for little to no money. But...I am not sure about lodging? I would guess they could stay with you?

You could definitely stay with their party at the parks, for sure! They don't really care how many people are with the Wish family, really. You just tell the CM the number so that someone doesn't just walk in behind you.





Thank you for helping us!! I didn't realize they didn't do parents night out anymore? It is still on their website? We almost planned to do it?
When I was down there in 06 they had stopped it. It seemed that feedback indicated that other programming would be more appreciated. I guess not enough people were using it. At least, that was the impression I was given.
__________________
Jessi 3x CP Rides & Entertainment Aaron (DH) Eragon & Matthias Eowyn & Jasper Disneymoon through a CM's eyes: A TR
Eeyores Butterfly is offline  
Old 12-28-2008, 10:07 PM   #27
wendygrace
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 948

When I was down last week I'm pretty sure I saw a sign that advised parents to sign up early if they wanted to utilize the service. I'm not 100% because I was just visiting but I'm pretty sure I saw it. Has anyone actually done this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyores Butterfly View Post
When I was down there in 06 they had stopped it. It seemed that feedback indicated that other programming would be more appreciated. I guess not enough people were using it. At least, that was the impression I was given.
__________________
Wendy
My Make-A-Wish Trip Report...Picture Update Page 30-31
Wish Trippers...Unite!
Wish Trippers Unite Volume Two!

Just believe and if you imagine, Just believe and your dreams will come true
wendygrace is offline  
Old 12-28-2008, 10:10 PM   #28
llurgy
DIS Veteran
 
llurgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bysville, Ohio
Posts: 585

I'm here!!

Thanks WendyGrace for all the past work you have put into the Wish trippers Unite Venture and thanks Maroo for all the future work you are gonna be doing.
I know I can say from all of us that both your works are truely appreciated.

Ooooooo....our wish trip is getting closer, we are getting ever-so eck-ki-cit-ted

Mandy
__________________
Becca's Make-A-Wish report

www.schtabs.com

Becca's MAW/GKTW/Disney Trip was January 21st to January 27th 2009
Me ...... David ...... Becca
llurgy is offline  
Old 12-28-2008, 10:11 PM   #29
mom2lilnick
Mouseketeer
 
mom2lilnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 483

No parents night out? It is on Nick's sheet we got from MAW (not GKTW), it is mentioned on either the night we get there or another night.. Not sure. I would have to dig it out.
__________________
Amy..

Wife to one amazing guy Jeff
Mom to three wonderful kids..
Kayla, Noah and my wish child Nicholas .

Nick's pre-trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread....8#post28150528
mom2lilnick is offline  
Old 12-28-2008, 11:04 PM   #30
AmberGreenawalt
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 318

Maroo, THANK you so much for everything that you have done!

I haven't been on much lately. We spent 7 out of ten days at the doctors. Siennah had her adenoids out and tubes in the day after Christmas and Savannah is having an endoscapy the day after tomorrow. I'll work on updating our trip report about it. 2008 has just been such a crazy year right up to the end!

I miss you guys!!! I've been getting my pics organized so Sebastian's MAW send off party and Day one of Disney are coming soon!

Much love and well wishes for 2009!
AmberGreenawalt is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
disabilities, gktw, make a wish, maw, wish trip



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: