Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 08:33 PM   #1561
josabbimommy
Mouseketeer

Shuttle Information

Here's what I can tell you about the Cape and Shuttle launches.
1. Leave Early, the traffic is horrendous. When we went, my father was a flag officer in the US Navy and we still had a problem getting there.
2. Bring money for tolls. The road to get to the Cape is a toll road and if I remember correctly, it's several dollars.
3. Bring something to do. As stated above, it took forever! Your kids just might be bored to tears waiting for the shuttle to launch.
4. When I was there the weather wasn't that bad, however, when I went back years later, it was piping hot and sitting waiting for a shuttle to launch would probably lead to a meltdown condition.

A Note of Caution:
The year I went (1986) was when the Challenger exploded. Trying to explain to a 10 year old (my big sister), a 9 year old (my brother), a 8 year old (my other sister) and my sister and I (who at the time were 6), why the shuttle had exploded was one of the hardest things that my parents ever had to do (according to my mom).

For 5dwarves:
Your very lucky that you live near Space Camp. I have fond memories of Space Camp. I spent a week there in middle school and loved it! Your so lucky!

I hope that this helped!
Caitlin DD1
Aunt Suzie gets to come too!!
1986: Grand Floridian Aunt Suzie and Me (age 5)
2007: Off-world DS5, DD1
2009: GKTW, Joseph's MAW Trip, DS7, DD3)
2012: The Caribbean Resort, Pirate Rooms!

Joseph's Trip Report:
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2140175

Gluten-Free for ME!
We are returning to Disney World!!
In Memory of Grandma

Old 04-26-2009, 08:42 PM   #1562
5dwarves
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by josabbimommy View Post
1. Leave Early, the traffic is horrendous. When we went, my father was a flag officer in the US Navy and we still had a problem getting there.
2. Bring money for tolls. The road to get to the Cape is a toll road and if I remember correctly, it's several dollars.
3. Bring something to do. As stated above, it took forever! Your kids just might be bored to tears waiting for the shuttle to launch.
4. When I was there the weather wasn't that bad, however, when I went back years later, it was piping hot and sitting waiting for a shuttle to launch would probably lead to a meltdown condition.

A Note of Caution:
The year I went (1986) was when the Challenger exploded. Trying to explain to a 10 year old (my big sister), a 9 year old (my brother), a 8 year old (my other sister) and my sister and I (who at the time were 6), why the shuttle had exploded was one of the hardest things that my parents ever had to do (according to my mom).

For 5dwarves:
Your very lucky that you live near Space Camp. I have fond memories of Space Camp. I spent a week there in middle school and loved it! Your so lucky!

I hope that this helped!
Yes, we are...we get an annual pass so we can go to the museum and the rock climbing wall and the "rides"...yes kind of a tower of terror thing, one for big kids and one for litttle kids. They have day camps there during the summer. I have always wanted to send the kids, but it hasn't been in the budget yet. Mickey and Minnie come to the rocket center every so often, wearing space suits. We are waiting on their next visit...acutally it is more like I am waiting on their next visit. We also have a Sallie Ride convention, that I believe travels across the country, for middle school and high school girls who are interested in science. There are all kinds of companies who are showcasing math and science careers to girls, and there is usually a female astronaut/shuttle captain or something that is the keynote speaker. My daughter loved it. If you have girls in that age range, google the sallie ride conference and see if it comes close to where you are...I think it is about $30 for a girl to attend.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-26-2009, 09:12 PM   #1563
kmparrish5
Mouseketeer

I added some pictures of our family to our PTR. Thought you might want some faces to go with our names.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:29 AM   #1564
HeatherSue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammie girl View Post
One thing I have to share that cracked me up yesterday, the wish coordinator asked Lexi if she could do one thing............Lexi responded she wanted to meet a real mermaid that had to stay in the water. I don't know how I held in laughter from the look on the wish granter's face. She did good and told Lexi that mermaids had to stay way out at the ocean and couldn't come to see people because they weren't allowed to come to the surface when humans were around. She then told Lexi that because Ariel was part human now she would try to arrange a meet for them. I bet these wish granters have some real stories to share. I know they are very busy but I still do wish the communication would be a little better so things wouldn't get like they did yesterday. That will save alot of money knowing we can still eat at GKTW.

Thanks again.
There are "real" mermaids at Weeki Wachee!!
http://weekiwachee.com/main/
The website shows some pictures of the mermaids out of the water, but I don't think they usually are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherN View Post
Hi all!!! Remember me?? Probably not. I was active here last summer when we went on our daughter Hannah's wish trip(see link in siggy)We were the first Make a wish family chosen for the Big Give. I was unpacking summer clothing yesterday and brought out all the beautiful clothing and it got me reminiscing about our trip. The kids got so excited to see the clothing and we are happy to report that they still fit and we will be able to use them this summer also. I still read here all the time and think of you all often.Welcome to all of the new families.

To update you on the Nichols family: Life has been pretty good this year.We have had a few ups and downs but still have many blessings in our lives.I enjoyed returning to the work force after being a stay at home Mom for ten years.I work at our local high school as an aide to kids with disabilities.I LOVE the Job.Unfotunately, due to the economy my position was eliminated for the next school year(along with 25 others in my district) I am pretty sad about it but hoping something will open up again in the future. Paul is still working hard ,but nervous with talks of layoffs of 12,000 state workers coming in July. Logan is enjoying his first year in kindergarten. Hannah is a forth grader and loves school.Lately she has been having a big problem with her hip.For years she has had issues with it partially dislocating.This is due to the fact that she has Down syndrome.This causes low muscle tone.The muscles and ligaments around that hip have become very streched and loose(kind of like an over streched rubber band) So anyway , due to the constant dislocating it has deteriorated her hip socket to the point in which she really needs a hip replacment.She is only 10 years old so this is not possible at this point because she is still growing.This is super frustrating because now she is in pain a LOT and starting to limp. We have been working with a Dr about 2 and a half hours away from us who says he can do surgery but there are no guarentees about the long term sucess.Our next step is getting an evaluation at Boston Childrens hospital.(this is where she had her open heart surgery)So life is never boring around this house. Just thought I would give you all an update and let you know I think of you all.I have not dropped off the face of the earth yet, it only feels like it.
I remember you!! Every time I see Bullseye, I think of Hannah, and it brings a smile to my face.

I'm so sorry to hear about Hannah's hip. I sure hope they can do something for her.

Tessa is in kindergarten this year too. She loved it at first, but now I think she is "done".

Old 04-27-2009, 07:40 AM   #1565
maroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:

A Note of Caution:

For 5dwarves:

I hope that this helped!
Great tips! Thanks!!

So you saw the Challenger explode LIVE?!?!?

What a horrible, horrible thing to see and your poor Mom. I clearly remember that day and I was nowhere near it! Bless your heart!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmparrish5 View Post
I added some pictures of our family to our PTR. Thought you might want some faces to go with our names.
Cool!!
Old 04-27-2009, 01:16 PM   #1566
sammie girl
Mouseketeer

Hi everyone! Thanks for listening to me over the weekend. We have everything figured out we are leaving a few days later so Lexi can stay at GKTW. You are all so wonderful.

Also I have started a pre-trip report for any interested. If you can sit through my first post I promise I won't make them that long anymore.

I can't believe this exists. I had no idea and I don't think that the wish makers know either or surely they would have told me about it. I don't know that we will have time to do it this trip but we are going to save our money to try to go back next year. This will be a definite and I am not telling Lexi until we get there. She will be so psyched. THANK YOU so much for the info....
Old 04-27-2009, 01:22 PM   #1567
keetmommy
Mouseketeer

I am glad that you got to change your dates....I think your DD will be much happier at GTKW...
Old 04-27-2009, 02:04 PM   #1568
maroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi everyone! Thanks for listening to me over the weekend. We have everything figured out we are leaving a few days later so Lexi can stay at GKTW. You are all so wonderful.

Also I have started a pre-trip report for any interested. If you can sit through my first post I promise I won't make them that long anymore.

I can't believe this exists. I had no idea and I don't think that the wish makers know either or surely they would have told me about it. I don't know that we will have time to do it this trip but we are going to save our money to try to go back next year. This will be a definite and I am not telling Lexi until we get there. She will be so psyched. THANK YOU so much for the info....
I am so excited for you guys to get your dates changed so you can stay at GKTW!! Fabulous!!
Old 04-27-2009, 02:14 PM   #1569
kdzbear
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Here is the link to her trip report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post31546801 Great start to the report!

Tyler's Wish Trip (Nov. 20-25, 2009): http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2154359 Sept. 12-20, 2009 Trip report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2292505
Old 04-27-2009, 02:20 PM   #1570
maroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdzbear View Post
Here is the link to her trip report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=31546801 Great start to the report!
You beat me to it! lol

I did take out the "post number" though...this should go straight to the whole thing? Not sure how that works?
It may not matter?

Anyway...Great start!!
Old 04-27-2009, 08:56 PM   #1571
kimmylaj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherN View Post
Hi all!!! Remember me?? Probably not. I was active here last summer when we went on our daughter Hannah's wish trip(see link in siggy)We were the first Make a wish family chosen for the Big Give. I was unpacking summer clothing yesterday and brought out all the beautiful clothing and it got me reminiscing about our trip. The kids got so excited to see the clothing and we are happy to report that they still fit and we will be able to use them this summer also. I still read here all the time and think of you all often.Welcome to all of the new families.

To update you on the Nichols family: Life has been pretty good this year.We have had a few ups and downs but still have many blessings in our lives.I enjoyed returning to the work force after being a stay at home Mom for ten years.I work at our local high school as an aide to kids with disabilities.I LOVE the Job.Unfotunately, due to the economy my position was eliminated for the next school year(along with 25 others in my district) I am pretty sad about it but hoping something will open up again in the future. Paul is still working hard ,but nervous with talks of layoffs of 12,000 state workers coming in July. Logan is enjoying his first year in kindergarten. Hannah is a forth grader and loves school.Lately she has been having a big problem with her hip.For years she has had issues with it partially dislocating.This is due to the fact that she has Down syndrome.This causes low muscle tone.The muscles and ligaments around that hip have become very streched and loose(kind of like an over streched rubber band) So anyway , due to the constant dislocating it has deteriorated her hip socket to the point in which she really needs a hip replacment.She is only 10 years old so this is not possible at this point because she is still growing.This is super frustrating because now she is in pain a LOT and starting to limp. We have been working with a Dr about 2 and a half hours away from us who says he can do surgery but there are no guarentees about the long term sucess.Our next step is getting an evaluation at Boston Childrens hospital.(this is where she had her open heart surgery)So life is never boring around this house. Just thought I would give you all an update and let you know I think of you all.I have not dropped off the face of the earth yet, it only feels like it.
of course we remember you so good to hear from you.
i hope the docs figure something out for hannahs hip. stop by more often if you can we miss you
Old 04-28-2009, 12:59 AM   #1572
josabbimommy
Mouseketeer

Yes I was there when the Challenger crashed. It was not a good day for either of us. I can remember being so excited to see a shuttle launch. I loved space and anything to do with it (I still do) and was excited when my dad came home and told us we were going to see it. Imagine my surprise when a few days later we're at the launch site and bam, everything explodes. My sisters and I were devastated. After that point, it was hard for us to say goodbye to our father, who was a naval aviator, 'cause we were always scared he'd crash.

Anyway, onto happier topics...
anyone know if GKTW kids can go to Extra Magic Hours?
Caitlin DD1

Joseph's Trip Report:

Gluten-Free for ME!
In Memory of Grandma

Old 04-28-2009, 01:00 AM   #1573
josabbimommy
Mouseketeer

I forgot to mention that I love the mermaid site. My son would love them!
Caitlin DD1

Joseph's Trip Report:

Gluten-Free for ME!
In Memory of Grandma

Old 04-28-2009, 06:43 AM   #1574
Andreaswish
Mouseketeer

What shoes do you recommend to wear for the parks??

Hi All,

I was wondering what shoes to get and break in before our trip in six weeks. I am sure it is probaly on here somewhere. I have heard some good things about crocs, but have never owned a pair. I do have problems with my heels Planters Fasciitis. I was thinking of getting crocs for my kids good idea or not??

How can we prevent blisters also, any advice? What items to take for sore and tired feet?

Thanks,

Andrea's Wish Pre trip: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2133000/COLOR]

Andrea's Carepage www.carepages.com/andreaavinklovespugs

[IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/svq6euz0ub9bu206.png[/IMG]
Old 04-28-2009, 08:10 AM   #1575
BeckySob
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Yes I was there when the Challenger crashed. It was not a good day for either of us. I can remember being so excited to see a shuttle launch. I loved space and anything to do with it (I still do) and was excited when my dad came home and told us we were going to see it. Imagine my surprise when a few days later we're at the launch site and bam, everything explodes. My sisters and I were devastated. After that point, it was hard for us to say goodbye to our father, who was a naval aviator, 'cause we were always scared he'd crash.

Anyway, onto happier topics...
anyone know if GKTW kids can go to Extra Magic Hours?
Scary! I'm sorry that you had to see the Challenger explode.

As far as the extra hours at the parks...unfortunately not.

Tags
disabilities, gktw, make a wish, maw, wish trip

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: