Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2008, 09:57 AM   #76
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

My family and I would not do the DDP for two reasons. 1st We don't like having to make ADR's 6 months in advance and always having to follow a schedule of ADR's, plus there are several offsite locations we like to eat at. 2nd Since we stay Club Level it's not worth it to us because we like to take advantage of the food offered in the Club Level lounge.
CR Resort Fan 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:58 AM   #77
sandym718
DIS Veteran

ITA - it works for us!! At least for now - with 2 children still in Disney "child" age. We save a couple hundred dollars and it's convenient. It's basically set up for the way we eat - not much breakfast (snack credit or we have something in the room), a "light" lunch with a sweet afterwards (though many aren't very light!!) and a big dinner. We like desserts so yes, we'd probably get them anyways (though maybe we'd share). And we like to splurge on vacation!!

I think it all depends on family make-up (ages) and how you eat - for some people it just doesn't make sense, for us it's a good value.

Previous trips as a child/teen: FW 1985, offsite 1991, Disneyland 1992
Family trips: 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012 - all at the Poly!

sandym718 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-22-2008, 10:17 AM   #78
Tricia1972
I love late night snacks
Libra who loves peace and harmony

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snykymom View Post
We are going to do a sit-down every day (one day, we have 2 booked because of the Nemo tickets), but not doing the dining plan. There are a couple of reasons for this:

1) Many of our planned meals are at signature restaurants. On the DDP, we wouldn't have enough TS credits.

2) Also, the DDP doesn't fit the way I like to eat. At many meals, I may just have an appetizer & dessert, or 2 appetizers and dessert, or appetizer & entree, or some other such combination. If I prepaid for the meal, I'd feel guilty if I didn't eat everything that's been paid for, and ordered stuff OOP instead.

3) The DxDP would give us enough TS credits for the ADRs we have, and includes appetizers, but it's way too much food. I rarely eat an appetizer and a dessert at any one meal, and can't do it twice! And, as noted above, some days I don't feel like having an appetizer, entree and dessert. But if I didn't eat what was offered on the plan, I'm leaving money on the table for stuff I didn't need to pay for.

4) I don't mind planning my meals and making ADRs, but I like the flexibility of cancelling them if we don't feel like eating at a particular place at a particular time. Then if we get another table service instead as a walk up, that's fine; if not, it's also fine. We won't starve.

5) I "prepay" my meals by figuring out how much I'm likely to spend, adding 25% to that figure, and putting it in the bank. That way, I don't have to worry about how much I'm spending at any particular meal. If I want something I'll get it. And I don't have to get the most expensive meal to "maximize" my credits.

6) I don't have to count credits or say, "No, we can't eat there - it's not on the plan."

7) This is a fear that just came up from other threads on these boards - getting sick. If I don't feel like eating, I haven't lost anything.

Now, "never" is a long time. Might I change my mind at some point and try it? Sure. But right now, it doesn't make sense.
This is a fairly accurate picture of our group too. Add our DDE/TiW card and the 20% discount, and it IS our group!

I have no issues with those that like the plan, more power to them! It just doesn't work for us.
Tricia1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:48 AM   #79
lacrosse_lady72
I <3 Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianGuy View Post
Threads about the dining plan are best kept on the Disney Restaurants and Dining Board..

I'll be moving this one there.

Knox
Idk... I thought about putting in the the DDP forum but since I thought it'd bring up a lot of WDW planning and stradegies at the parks, I put it where I did... oh well.

WDW: JULY/AUGUST 2002, MARCH 2004, MARCH/APRIL 2005, SEPTEMBER 2006, SEPTEMBER 2007, SEPTEMBER 2008, SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER 2009, APRIL 2010, SEPTEMBER 2011, SEPTEMBER 2013, SEPTEMBER 2015
DLR: APRIL 1998, DECEMBER 2005, JANUARY 2012, JANUARY 2013

lacrosse_lady72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:52 AM   #80
catne
DIS Veteran

we love the DDP...it's great to have most of the dining paid in advance, and the regular DDP fits both our style of touring & our style of eating.

Normally, we don't eat desserts (or appetisers, for that matter) at restaurants at home...but on vacation, YES, we're eating desserts! We use the snack credit for breakfast pastry (small breakfast eaters) then counter service for lunch at the end of our morning touring (either in park or back at resort.) Then a nice TS for dinner every night. We love the chance to try new restaurants, love the freedom to order whatever we want. I kept receipts our last two trips (once with 4 of us, once with just DH & I) It was not "break even"...we saved several hundred dollars in 2008 using the DDP.
We use touring plans so have plenty of time for restaurant meals...typically get all the "must-do's" in the parks done in the mornings, then break in the afternoon, dinner & leisurely evening touring/fireworks, etc.

I can see, though, that if you have a very short trip, and don't go very often that it might be hard to plan & organize using the Dining plan, especially if you don't know how to get around & how long various things will take...then counter service might work better if you're trying to max out what you can get done.
January (twice) & February 2014 SSR December 2013 POFQ October 2013 Off-site, September 2013,POFQ March 2013 AoA Feb 2013 POFQ Feb 2013 POFQ Jan 2013 Caribbean Beach Nov 2012 POFQ Sept 2012 BC May 2012 POFQ Mar 2012 POFQ Feb 2012 POFQ JAN 2012 AKL Oct 2011 Wilderness Lodge Sep 2011 POFQ Feb 2011 Pop Century Jan 2011 Pop CenturyNov 2010 CSR Sept 2010 Boardwalk May 2010 POFQ Jan 2010 BCV 2009 Sept & 2009 May POFQ 2009 Jan Contempo 2008 Sept Pop 2008 May POFQ 2007 May Poly 2000 May FW Cabin 1992 May off site 1990 May off site
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:16 AM   #81
fsdriver
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassifyed View Post
I LOVE WDW like everyone else, but I admit to not understanding ppl who go more than once a year.

My family and I go once every few years; the new attractions that pop up in the interim give us something to look forward to!

As for the subject at hand, this will be the second time that my family will use the DDP. It works well for us, but its all about how you use it.

The last time, we used most of our TS at character breakfast buffets; it killed two birds with one stone for us---characters + autographs combined with the fact that we are big breakfast eaters. Hey...we NEED the feul to tackle those parks at full speed ahead! 'lol'
Conversely, we would use counter service meals in whatever park we happened to have picked for that day. That way, our "flow" isnt interrupted too much and we can get back to the riding.

Our next is proving to be a bit more difficult in that they havent posted May hours yet, but also in that we did most of the characters last time so it isnt as imperative this time....i am tryng to toss up our TS's into some big breakfasts AND sit down dinner...........it's killing me slowly!!

anyway....just a long way to say that i love the plan!!!

This is us, we are huge breakfast eaters, so we did the basic plan, so we have a big breakfast, grab a snack in the afternoon and a CS in the evening, unless there is just something we want. This is how most of our trips are no matter where we go. To us breakfast is the best meal of the day, plus ds will get to see all the characters and get pics and autographs in the morning then we can go where ever we want the rest of the day!
fsdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:07 PM   #82
luckytobeme88
Proud mom of soon-to-be MIT Freshman!! Don't stop short at your limit! Your limit is where you stop trying. Application fee $70. Getting accepted $Priceless

We absolutely love the DDP and will always do it
Almost every time we go to WDW, we would purchase the DxDDP for one less night of total stay. This will allow us to stretch the credits for the last night. We are a family who love their food(a lot) Even my 16 yrs old likes to have at least one/two sit-down meals a day. A perfect vacation for us is 50% parks and 50% food....Go figures
luckytobeme88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:37 PM   #83
tavettava
DIS Veteran

We like the DDp because we eat at least 1 sit down every day. Dd is allergic to gluten and dairy so we need to have a sit down so we don't have to worry about our meals.
April-May 2009 AKL Villa DVC
November 2009 Caribbean Beach Resort

Dh Me Dd ds

tavettava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:56 PM   #84
Markstudy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUJU814 View Post

We love the dining plan. We get the deluxe

It's not about the money at all for us. It's the vacation style .... feels "all inclusive" to us ....

We take plenty of character meals, as many or few as we choose.
I agree! ....its about more than the math for us

if you love the feel of "getting away" at Disney, and really leaving the real world behind.... try the deluxe dining plan!

never asking, or looking at the price, for an entire week... its so cool!

eating at some of the signature restaurants, shows, and character meals. I wouldn't be able to have as much SILLY FUN, if I had to think about the crazy "Disney prices" at each meal!

I wanted to share for people on the fence about this issue Some folks would rather go for more days, or take trips more often, or on a budget. But I'd rather save longer and get the full Disney "feel" when I do go. We all have our own style... just need to find what works best for your family

Our Best Photos- Trip report scrapbook link-
http://www.panraven.com/newstoryview...storyId=161914
Jan 2009 - Royal Pacific, Sept 2008 - Poly
Oct 2007 - Yacht Club, Jan 2006 - Beach Club (Honeymoon)

Last edited by Markstudy; 12-22-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Markstudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:07 PM   #85
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

We enjoyed the standard plan in its previous incarnation, before the elimination of tips and appetizers. Now we wouldn't bother with it, because we're appetizer people who don't always order dessert and because we don't want as many CS meals as the plan offered.

We LOVED the deluxe dining plan, and unless it changes significantly, I don't see us doing on-site trips without it. Dining at the kinds of places our small hometown lacks is one of the best parts of any vacation for us, and we prefer table service to counter service every time. So the deluxe plan is a great fit. It is also a better deal than the standard plan at the moment; we ate the way we like to eat on vacation, tried a lot of the signature restaurants, hardly used any of our snacks, had some counter service here and there as our schedule dictated, and still came out ahead by a few hundred dollars.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:11 PM   #86
jimmiej
Quite unintentionally, I invented the Naked Segway Tour

I've crunched the numbers every which way. Based on our experiences, I think we'll spend less w/o the DP.

jimmiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:18 AM   #87
mandymommy4
DIS Veteran

We did the deluxe plan and would do it again and again!

We did a character breakfast every morning and a signature restaurant every evening except fro the night we did Hoop de doo and 1900 Park Fare! We felt like we were not eating to much since we had two meals a day and a snack mid day. We enjoyed having our meals planned out....with 4 kids we like plans and schedules..... We NEVER had to do deal with CS places and that is what defines a vacation to us!

We did not have any meal credits left over but we did have snack credits...... we chose to buy goodies from the main street bakery to take home and enjoy! We got some yummy candy apples that we enjoyed the next day!
mandymommy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:13 AM   #88
luckytobeme88
Proud mom of soon-to-be MIT Freshman!! Don't stop short at your limit! Your limit is where you stop trying. Application fee $70. Getting accepted $Priceless

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandymommy4 View Post
......We NEVER had to do deal with CS places and that is what defines a vacation to us! ....
Right on the money.
I think the DxDDP was designed for vacationers like us.
luckytobeme88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:32 AM   #89
orangecats2
All I want is Disney, Crocs and Vera Bradley

We love the dining plan and are looking forward to Sept 2009 for free dining. However it is just DH and I and we are bigger eaters who love sit down restaurants. I was not crazy about the CS places. We would never even consider sharing a meal. One day I would like to try the deluxe plan because we paid OOP for several meals because we had used up all our credits. Also, if we are paying for it I like to include it in our package so we can pay it off in increments.

me DH and our many children
9/12 - CSR 4th Anniversary 9/09 - ASMo 1st Anniversary, 9/08 - ASSp Honeymoon
96, 87, 86, 83, 80, 79 - all offsite
Vegas: 95-Hacienda, 00-Excalibur, 01-Monte Carlo, 02-Luxor, 05-TI, 07-Tropicana, 10-NY NY
orangecats2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:29 PM   #90
PaulaSB12
DIS Veteran

I go solo so there is no argument its dining plan every time. I like planning adrs and sitting at ts tables. This time its deluxe hotel and deluxe dining plan can't wait!!!
PaulaSB12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: