Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2008, 03:08 PM   #31
DisFlan
DIS Veteran

We grabbed the bounce back offer for next fall with a 30% discount at SSR - and free dining. If the DDP wasn't free, we wouldn't have gotten it. We'd go with the TiW (DDE) as we have for the past few years and saved quite a bit with our eating pattern. But with the room discount AND the free DDP, it isn't a bad deal. (We're saving our DVC points for a family trip in 2010.) They were giving the DDP away and it's for when we wanted to go, so we grabbed it. We'll see how it works out.

We may renew our TiW card anyway (for the alcohol component alone) and carry it over for the following trip.

DisFlan

SSR 9/25/09 - 10/02/09

DisFlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 04:02 PM   #32
VLee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post

I have a DDE card that gives me 20% off on my meals and alcohol and gives me more flexibility on how I tour and tip so I use that instead.
I too use the DDE card, (now TIW) along with DDP at times, but I can't see how the DDE card gives you flexibility in how you tip. With the DDE, it is an automatic 18% gratituty, plus any more you care to leave. With the DDP, at least you have an option in the amount of the tip.
BWV - Boardwalk View - 10/2007 - Family Reunion!
OKW - Labor Day 2007 - Pirate & Princess Party
BWV/Beach Club -- 05/2007 -- The kids and Me!
VWL -- Christmas 2006 -Mom and Me!
AS Movies 09/2006 - Jen & Kids - Brant's 4th BD!
Beach Club Villa 05/2006 - Brant and Me
Wilderness Cabins/Old Key West 01/2006-Hollye's 6th!
Polynesian Resort / Beach Club Villa 9/2005-Jen & Kids
Pop Century/ Old Key West 05/2005 - The kids & Me
AS Movies/WL Villa/ PO French Qtr 10/2004-Halloween
Pop Century/Port Orleans FQ 05/2004 - Hollye and Me
BoardWalk Villa/WL Villa 12/2003 - First Christmas!
Polynesian Resort 05/2003 -- First Trip!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
VLee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-21-2008, 04:40 PM   #33
ShannonMB
DIS Veteran

Funny how differently everyone enjoys their vacation. I find the basic DP one of the best features of the trip to WDW! Even if I'm not saving tons of $, I love having it paid in advance, and I LOVE a sit down meal each day. A CS meal for breakfast or early lunch and then a sit down when we are about to drop and need a break. Oh, and a mickey ears ice cream in between. Perfect! I think Disney had me in mind when they designed the plan!

No matter how you eat/tour, enjoy your next trips everyone!!!

ShannonMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 04:58 PM   #34
KirstenB
Mom to "the nibbler"
Baby Donor

It's not for us. We tend to eat and run at WDW. We're too excited planning what we're going to do next. We do slow down for one buffet: the character breakfast at Park Faire.
KirstenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:03 PM   #35
parmtoo
Buzz & Woody's Gram

We are trying the DDP for the first time in 3 weeks! Not sure if we'll like having all those ADRs, but honestly, right now I love that everything is paid before we go. We are taking the entire family, grown kids, spouses, and grandkids. We decided to give the DDP a try just for the simplicity of it all. Our meal times will be our meeting times as well. We can all do our own thing for most of the day, then meet for our evening meal. I'm pretty excited about trying it out.

Last edited by parmtoo; 12-21-2008 at 06:01 PM.
parmtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:51 PM   #36
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

My parents did the dining plan on their last vacation and liked it but thought it took too long at sit-downs when they could be enjoying the parks. DH and I opted not to do it on our honeymoon because we are both picky and not at all adventurous eaters, so a lot of the TS restaurants didn't appeal to us. After checking the menus on allears.net we thought we'd probably end up eating steak every single time, and even too much of a good thing can be bad! We have no problems eating burgers, pizza, chicken, etc. for our meals with a little something different every now and then. Plus, we liked to eat and run. The new QS dining plan might have worked for us, but we'll be staying off property next year, so that's out. I always still encourage it though to those who would find savings and enjoyment out of using the DDP. Now the deluxe plan, man, I just don't know how people can eat so much food!! To each their own, I guess...
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014 | MARCH 2015 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove | OCTOBER 2015 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal | FEBRUARY 2016 // ??
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:00 PM   #37
jackie101
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonMB View Post
Funny how differently everyone enjoys their vacation. I find the basic DP one of the best features of the trip to WDW! Even if I'm not saving tons of $, I love having it paid in advance, and I LOVE a sit down meal each day. A CS meal for breakfast or early lunch and then a sit down when we are about to drop and need a break. Oh, and a mickey ears ice cream in between. Perfect! I think Disney had me in mind when they designed the plan!

No matter how you eat/tour, enjoy your next trips everyone!!!
I agree
jackie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:02 PM   #38
goofy4prez
DIS Dads Club Member #484
I hate the Steelers & Ravens like a mother loves a child!!!!

For us we love the DDP. When I'm on vacation for a week or more the last thing that I want to do is drink out of a paper cup and get quick serve food lug a food tray and hope to find a seat.

In August was our first trip to WDW. We stayed at the WL and were upgraded to the club level. This was great because we were able to grab our breakfast in the lounge(not a big breakfast eater) enjoy a very large CS lunch at one of the parks or resort, come back to the pool for a spell, go up to the lounge enjoy a few appetizers, and then in the evening have a nice TS dinner. And yes we took advantage of this and ordered something other than a burger and fries on the menu.

We are going to do the same thing again in January. This time we will be at the YC club level and will also have the DDP. It's a good deal for my family and myself.

Achieved (6-10-12) and maintaining weight lost goal of 115 LBS.From 267 lbs to 152 lbs
goofy4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:37 PM   #39
danielle.st
DIS Veteran

Everyone is different. We went a little over a week ago and completely loved the deluxe dining plan. We only had one day that we felt we over ate (oddly enough, one in which we did snacks for breakfast and two sit down meals... we couldn't finish dinner). We loved that we could do all of the character meals in the only trip we may take for years. For people who go to WDW very often anyway (they don't have to try the restaurants allin one trip) or for those who don't care about characters, I can see it being a different story.
Oh, and we did a handful of counter service meals and the waits to get our food and pay were longer than I remember waiting for food at any sit down place. I walked into Pizzafari and 12:30pm one day and walked right back out, the lines were scary after being so used to ADRs all week. I wouldn't have liked having to reply on that many CS meals.
Oh, another thing is that my girls don't have the same taste in foods, so they wouldn't have enjoyed sharing at all most of the week.
And we used every meal and snack credit.
dd10
POP December 6-13, 2008
POP April 21-27, 2010
POP April 18-23, 2012
POFQ August 2014
danielle.st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:42 PM   #40
CharacterFan
Will stop in walkways for characters

I did a blog entry last week on the dining plan. It really is all about pricing it out, and what works best for your family. On my first trip to the world, I wouldn't have considered it because there is too much to see and spending all that time dining cuts into it, but now going back for my 25th time I love to eat at all the different places and review them.

Proud Owner: Pentax K100D Super/18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL/Sigma 28-80mm F3.5-5.6 Macro/Sigma 28-105mm f2.8-f4/Sigma 28-200mm f3.5-f5.6
CharacterFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:00 PM   #41
luvthemouse71
Cries like a baby at Illuminations..

For us, the DDP is well worth it..I like a nice sit down meal each day-it's relaxing. However, we've been to WDW a few times now, so I don't feel the need to tour the parks full tilt. And I think I'd get bored eating just counter service the whole time. I mean, cheeseburgers, chicken fingers, pizza, get monotonous after a while. I like to go to the TS restaurants and I make myself try something new each time. This year, I tried duck for the first time at the Yak and Yeti in AK...pretty good!

The dining plan is just one of those personal things..it works great for some, not great for others. Like park hopping, I always get park hoppers and use them but another family might not need them. Great that there are so many choices.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:15 PM   #42
Melnzai
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMulieri View Post
You need to figure out what works for your family.I love the dining plan and it works out great for my family and we never have a problem using all the credits.
Exactly. We get the basic plan, use all of our credits, never have to worry about what we are spending, and save quite a bit of money. However, we are TS people. We like to have one TS meal a day while at Disney. We enjoy experiencing different restaurant themes and foods we would rarely find at home. It isn't for everyone though. My husband is a reluctant DDP person.

1st Dis trip-August 1998 (Honeymoon)POR, September 2001-Coronado Springs,November 2002-Yacht Club
June 2008-ASM, June 25-7/2/09-CBR
July 2014- Contemporary

Melnzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:50 PM   #43
kennezgirl
Mouseketeer

We love the dining plan. Our kids love to eat breakfast at the resort cafeteria before we go out which uses our counter service meal. Nothing better than starting the day with a Mickey Waffle or some bacon and eggs. We then eat a nice dinner in the early evening and use our table service. This gives us time to sit down, relax, and enjoy more of the amazing magic that Disney provides. We have found that dining, within itself, creates more amazing memories. I think back to the princess meal in the castle, the chastising we got from our waitress "mom" at 50's Prime Time, my kids dancing at the Oktoberfest at Biergarten, my hubby and I cuddling close under the night sky at San Angel....

I agree that everyone enjoys their trips differently, but for those that are reading this thread and trying to make a decision, this is one vote for the dining plan. We never would have taken the time or used the cash if we had not pre-purchased this plan. There is so much we would have missed.

********Blessed Be********
kennezgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:53 PM   #44
Klassifyed
Mouseketeer

I LOVE WDW like everyone else, but I admit to not understanding ppl who go more than once a year.

My family and I go once every few years; the new attractions that pop up in the interim give us something to look forward to!

As for the subject at hand, this will be the second time that my family will use the DDP. It works well for us, but its all about how you use it.

The last time, we used most of our TS at character breakfast buffets; it killed two birds with one stone for us---characters + autographs combined with the fact that we are big breakfast eaters. Hey...we NEED the feul to tackle those parks at full speed ahead! 'lol'

Conversely, we would use counter service meals in whatever park we happened to have picked for that day. That way, our "flow" isnt interrupted too much and we can get back to the riding.

Our next is proving to be a bit more difficult in that they havent posted May hours yet, but also in that we did most of the characters last time so it isnt as imperative this time....i am tryng to toss up our TS's into some big breakfasts AND sit down dinner...........it's killing me slowly!!

anyway....just a long way to say that i love the plan!!!
Klassifyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:37 PM   #45
stitch34
DIS Veteran

It sounds like for your situation and not wanting to have ADRs planned that it isn't worth it to have the dining plan.
For us - I'd be lost without it. We love sit-down meals, dislike counter service. Even when at home, we eat out all the time. Though for me, an only adult with three kids under 10, the price isn't too bad, I'm the only expensive one. We had free dining and upgrade to deluxe out last trip - ate/drank about $1,000 worth, though spent less than $400 that we paid to upgrade to the deluxe.
stitch34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: