Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2008, 06:33 PM   #1
las3888
DIS Veteran

OT? - What comes after 4T--4 or 5T or 5???

Hi all,

I am gearing up to bargain shop after the holidays for next season's clothes for DS. I have always done this and he has been pretty much true-to-size. He will be 4 in Feb. and is wearing 4T clothing since fall. He is starting to get a tiny bit tall for a few pairs of pants, but they generally fit well in the waist (a few are too big--he is a slim guy). So what do I buy next? Do I look for 5T? There doesn't seem to be much of that around. Do I go to 4's or are they pretty much the same as 4T? Do I move to 5's? I have no clue. I am just wondering what the natural progression of sizes is since it has been easy up until now! I do realize that different brands size differently, but my M.O. is to buy pretty much all in one size on clearance the season prior. If I have a few things that don't fit, eventually they will, or I paid so little for them it doesn't really matter.

Anyways, I appreciate your advice as always!
las3888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:48 PM   #2
kristinw3girls
Mouseketeer

I my experience, after 4T if you can FIND 5T get that. If not 5 is slightly larger in the waist and length. 5T is sometimes roomier in the seat, but they are close enought not to matter. I always shop ahead if I can. I have 3 girls and many of my bargains have been used by all 3. My 11yo and 8yo are only 3 lbs. different in weight, but the 11yo is very thin, so some things are starting to overlap! It is really nice to finally get rid of the things my "baby "is outgrowing. Happy shopping!
kristinw3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-19-2008, 07:02 PM   #3
MJAJmom
DIS Veteran

My DS3 is wearing 4T right now in pants and for shirts I have both 4T and 5T. Then my DS6 wears a 5 or 6 in pants and I buy boys size 6 for shirts. He is very tall and slim and it's very hard for me to find pants that fit him because they are way too big in the waist and not long enough. I mostly look for elastic waist pants instead of button/fly. I measure the length I need for the pants and carry a tape meausure in my purse when I go shopping to make sure the pants will be long enough.

For us, we moved from a 4T into either a 5T if you could find them or shopped in boys for size5. Many times they'll make it a size 5/6. Some brand run bigger or smaller so it makes it even more hard to get something that fits.

Have fun discount shopping.

June 2014 - DL planning in the works!
June 2011 - POFQ, Star Wars Weekends, Universal
April 2010 - CBR pirate room, 3rd time for just mom & 2 boys, Universal
June09 - CBR, Star Wars Weekends, just mom & 2 boys, more character meals - Trip Report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2208908
Oct08 - GF, MNSSHP, just mom & 2 boys, lots of character meals - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2013585
Apr08 - GF - 1st trip for family
MJAJmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:01 PM   #4
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

The 'T' size means toddler. They do this so that the bum/seat area is roomier as mentioned above to accommodate for diapers.

Happy shopping, Tiger
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:14 PM   #5
tanyaandallie
DIS Veteran

You can do 5 or 5T. Don't go from 4T to 4. Some stores have both, some don't. For the most part you will now be shopping in the big boy section!
tanyaandallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:30 PM   #6
las3888
DIS Veteran

Thanks all for your responses! So what is the deal with 4? Is it pretty much the same as 4t?
las3888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:38 PM   #7
piratemamaof3
wields a plunger like a magic wand

5T is really hard to find. I know that Target sells some. I would compair sizes if you have a place that carries them all. Hold up a pair of 4 and 4T pants same w/ a 5 and 5T that might help you get a good feel for them. 4 tends to run a little bigger than a 4T I have noticed.

May 3-10 '09 wonderful 1st family trip at Pop Century.

Ready to take over Halloween at CBR
piratemamaof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:46 PM   #8
poohfriend77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by las3888 View Post
Thanks all for your responses! So what is the deal with 4? Is it pretty much the same as 4t?
It seems like 4's are a little longer than 4Ts (both pants and shirt lengths), at least for girl stuff. My older DD wore 4T, then 5T, then 4, 5, etc. My younger DD is slimmer and went from 4T to 4/5. The 5T stuff was all too big in the waist/hips and too short.

Oh, and the biggest difference is that the "big kid" clothes cost more! I miss the Target toddler sales.
poohfriend77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:07 PM   #9
dementia412
DIS Veteran

... and don't forget the 4/5 which always seemed to be to be a better fit than 5 after they got too big for 4t. Some stores have 4/5 and some don't, but by the third kid that was what I was looking for.
dementia412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:15 PM   #10
ChillyWilleys
My mother is a finger licking cake cutter

My DD went from a 4T to a 4. The 4Ts were to high on her and the 5s were much to long. 4 is a perfect fit.
ChillyWilleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:06 AM   #11
delmar411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
They are the same except for the "T" stands for diaper.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:14 AM   #12
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
T stands for toddler, which assumes the child will need extra room in the pants to fit a diaper. Children who are not wearing diapers don't need the T size.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:44 AM   #13
rt2dz
DIS Veteran

I just happen to be going through outgrown clothes and pulling out clothes from storage for DS#2 in that size range. I'm also putting up the new stuff I bought online that arrived yesterday. It depends on the brand and the sizing of that brand.

"T" does stand for toddler, but that does NOT necessarily mean bigger in the rear. Many kids are way out of diapers before they outgrow the toddler sizes, but not anywhere near ready for the big kid section. I am standing here comparing the 4s I just bought to the 4Ts DS just outgrew. The 4Ts are smaller in the rear end than the 4s. The 4s are bigger in width and length. For the record, this is the same brand; this brand does not make a 5T.

If you check the brand's tag it should give you a height and weight range. Some brands don't have a 5T and go from 4T to 4. Other brands have a 5T and then go to 4s. Looking through all my boys clothes, there is a huge difference in 4T to 5s; you definitely need an intermediate step from 4T to 5 (either 4s or 5T).

Moral of the story, always know your kids height and weight when shopping. And growing patterns. I have one that grows a little all year long, one that grows in small spurts about 2-4 times a year and one that grows once a year in a major way. That would be DS#2--two months ago he wore a 3T, now he is wearing 4s/5Ts and is still growing.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:30 AM   #14
ChillyWilleys
My mother is a finger licking cake cutter

There is a difference in length of the T's vs regulars. My DD went from a 4T to a 4 because the 4T's were far to short. 4's are a perfect length.
ChillyWilleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:38 AM   #15
LoveBWVVBR
DIS Veteran

It depends on the brand. Now that DD3 is potty trained, I find that Gymboree "T" sizes are very baggy on her in the waist and butt. Their regular 3,4,5, etc. sizes seem to fit better. Childrens Place fits well even in the "T" sizes, but I have to go up a size for length in the shirts if I shop there. Gap fits fine in the "T" sizes also.
LoveBWVVBR is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: