Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2008, 05:10 PM   #76
Nora03
Mouseketeer

Hi Mek,
I'm enjoying your report. DH and I are going in March on our own. I'm guessing you'll make it into the tour. Am I right?

I don't blame you for changing rooms. I would too. We did that once on a trip to Prince Edward Island. I had booked a less expensive hotel for one of our stops and was a little dismayed when we checked in. It was an old historic hotel. I don't do "old" very well. The first room had a connecting door to another room and we could hear children in there as if they were in our room. No thanks. Down to the front desk and we switched. They only had a corner room that used to be a smoking room and still smelled. They offered a room air freshing machine. No thanks. I quickly called the nicest and newest (and most expensive) hotel in town and they had space. Lucky!!! Down to the front desk and apologized and I told them we just couldn't stay there. They were very understanding and I offered to pay for the phone call and they said it was okay. Long story to say - get the room you really want. It's worth it in the end.

We're staying at POFQ for one night in March and then three nights at the WL. I haven't requested anything special,, but hoping for good rooms.

I'll be watching for more trippie. Happy Holidays.

Nora
Old 12-26-2008, 05:32 PM   #77
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvCrush View Post
I thought maybe your DH just needed a drink and relax/refresh.... since his memory seemed a bit scrambled So I sent his gnome self over to Biergarten for a mug....maybe he'll be better in the next installment

Paula
I still can NOT STOP LAUGHING!!!!!!!! That is so perfect!!!!! Even DH can't stop laughing and can't stop asking me how I did it! Paula, you soooooo rock!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-26-2008, 05:47 PM   #78
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
The visual of you speedwalking through the park has me cracking up!

I am guessing that you did get in...but that's mean to leave us hanging like that!
Oh yeah - it was pretty freak'n funny. I didn't tell you about all the people (including small children) I almost fell over. I bet I will show up on someone else's trip report (and not in a good way).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. & Mrs. Smith View Post
My money is on you making it into the preview!
Yeah - I can't keep you in suspense any longer. They let us in and they were very nice about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjolt View Post
Yay for gnome husbands!! WOOT...great job Paula!!

MEK...for all the speed walking you had to do you'd better be allowed into the tour...LOL

Great update!! I can't wait to hear more about your trip!!!!
I am still cracking up. Paula is my hero. Even my DH laughed for 5 minutes straight. He really does make the perfect gnome!

As far as the walking goes - The funny thing is, we walked a lot more that night. You'll have to wait and see how far we actually did end up walking. And, boy did my feet pay for it the next day.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 12-26-2008, 05:53 PM   #79
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNSUE View Post
This is LynSue. You have been posting on my trip report, Quick, Crazy, Christmas. Sounds like your trip was a bit quick and crazy too. I just wanted to let you know I finally caught up with your report. I really enjoy your writing style. Some of our days overlapped on our trips and we were also staying at SSR. Too bad we did not run into you. As mentioned in my report, the carpet in our studio was quite worn. But everything else was fine. When we checked in, the CM said we had a first floor room. I was worried that it may be a handicap room. And I felt bad about having those thoughts. So I totally understand what you were trying to say in that post.

Thank you for responding in my TR about our black cat. I was able to view the pictures of your cats and they are all beautiful. But I am particular to the black cat as well.

Looking forward to the rest of your report. I did not realize (until we got home) that we would have been eligible for trying American Idol with our Annual Pass. Oh, well. We don't watch the show at home, so I was not too heart broken.
Hey LynSue -

Thanks for stopping by. I am glad you are saying the same thing about your carpet, too. And yeah, I feel bad saying anything about the handicapped accessible room, at the risk of sounding insensitive, but the issue was really more with the overall room condition and heavy disinfectant smell.

I'm glad you like my cat, max. I think your black kitty and Max could be brothers! Your kitty sits on pumpkins and mine sits on computers!

Old 12-26-2008, 05:59 PM   #80
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nora03 View Post
Hi Mek,
I'm enjoying your report. DH and I are going in March on our own. I'm guessing you'll make it into the tour. Am I right?

I don't blame you for changing rooms. I would too. We did that once on a trip to Prince Edward Island. I had booked a less expensive hotel for one of our stops and was a little dismayed when we checked in. It was an old historic hotel. I don't do "old" very well. The first room had a connecting door to another room and we could hear children in there as if they were in our room. No thanks. Down to the front desk and we switched. They only had a corner room that used to be a smoking room and still smelled. They offered a room air freshing machine. No thanks. I quickly called the nicest and newest (and most expensive) hotel in town and they had space. Lucky!!! Down to the front desk and apologized and I told them we just couldn't stay there. They were very understanding and I offered to pay for the phone call and they said it was okay. Long story to say - get the room you really want. It's worth it in the end.

We're staying at POFQ for one night in March and then three nights at the WL. I haven't requested anything special,, but hoping for good rooms.

I'll be watching for more trippie. Happy Holidays.

Nora
Hey Nora, thanks for dropping by. I definately think you have to speak up when something does not satisfy you. As long as you aren't rude, then its cool. If you don't speak up, it colors your whole perception of things.

You will love POFQ. I completely understand why so many people love it. WL would be great! That is definately on my list of must visit places!

Old 12-26-2008, 06:19 PM   #81
ILuvCrush
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I still can NOT STOP LAUGHING!!!!!!!! That is so perfect!!!!! Even DH can't stop laughing and can't stop asking me how I did it! Paula, you soooooo rock!
HeheHe!! I'm glad you like him I'm trying to figure out how to make him swim.... but I'm afraid that he really shouldn't be drinking if he does
Old 12-26-2008, 06:40 PM   #82
nettii
DIS Veteran

Mek Im on the edge of my seat! this is a great trip report! Hope you write soon! I cant wait to hear more! You are my hero for doing a solo with DH I cant wait to enjoy the parks with just him and me! Thanks for the great read and a lil Disney fix! Nettii

1st trip 2006 ALL Star SPORTS (fell in LOVE )
2007 POP (Pure magic )
2007 POFQ (A Merry Mickey Holiday adventure):3
2008 POP (My Moms 1st trip-Had a blast)
2009 ALL Star MoviesHappy Haunts in the MK
2010-(Mom & T conquire the Mts of MK)
2011- DREAM CRUISE!
2012-Thanksgiving at CBR!
Old 12-26-2008, 07:56 PM   #83
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvCrush View Post
HeheHe!! I'm glad you like him I'm trying to figure out how to make him swim.... but I'm afraid that he really shouldn't be drinking if he does

Paula -

If you can make my DH gnome swim, then you really are a genius, because my real DH can't swim a lick in real life! He sinks like a rock! From now on, everytime I need a good laugh, I am just going to look at my gnome. Priceless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettii View Post
Mek Im on the edge of my seat! this is a great trip report! Hope you write soon! I cant wait to hear more! You are my hero for doing a solo with DH I cant wait to enjoy the parks with just him and me! Thanks for the great read and a lil Disney fix! Nettii
Hey Nettie - Welcome! It was really fun doing the parks with DH, especially since our bio rhythms are so completely different from our teenagers'. My only regret is that our trip was just too darn short. 4 nights is OK for a true solo trip, but we needed one or two more nights. I am doing 8 nights minimum this summer, hopefully longer!

Old 12-26-2008, 08:34 PM   #84
MEK
DIS Veteran

Post 5: Check'n in at SSR and DS (continued)

I guess you figured by now that the nice CM's at the AI experience let us in. They checked our confirmation papers and our AP's and we were in. Before I tell you about the top secret AI experience, let me share these pics I missed in my last post.

This is the pool at Congress Park looking towards the direction of the bus stop

And here is a look at the pool and DTD. Can you imagine having that view from your room??????

Here is the line to get into DS when the computers were down

OK - on the the top secret AI Experience tour......

The attraction opens in Feb. To be a contestant, you can register on line in advance of the day you plan to visit. You can also audition by picking up a FP for the show you want to be in. I believe there are 7 shows a day and a final (or including the final). They probably audition close to 100 people for each show.

The first room that the contestant enters is just a small office. There will be 2 or 3 of them, so simultaneous acapella auditions can take place. The contestant just has to sing something that is a "real" song (as opposed to a fake song????) The judges will communicate to each other via lap top. This will allow them to determine what the level of talent is in the park that day.

I think maybe 20 people get picked to go to the next round. Anyone picked goes to a "lounge" which is decorated in red and white and looks like it may sport a future Coke logo. In the lounge, the contestants receive an Ipod loaded with 113 of every genre. The contestant has about 7 - 10 minutes to decide what song they want to sing in front of the next judge. This time they sing with music and they have a teleprompter with words. No key changes.

At this round, the judge decides who will actually be in the show. Darn, I can't remember how many people actually make the show. DH doesn't remember either. I think it will be somewhere between 8 and 10 people.

At this point our tour leader took us to the actual stage. The stage is the same size as the AI stage, but the big American Idol backup is only 1/3 the height of the one on TV. This is because the ceiling is too low.

There will be 3 judges and they will be typecasted similar to the existing judges. In otherwords, someone harsh like Simon, someone sweet like Paula, and someone who says' "I don't know man, it was a little pitchy for me" like Randy.

The viewers have chairs with buttons so they can vote for their favorite contestant. The winner of each show gets to compete in a grand finale to be held at the end of the day. The finalist wear something around their neck to identify them as a contestant. They can walk around and drum up votes for their final performance. The final can also be watched on a big screen TV outside the attraction.

Anyone can participate. There is no upper age limit. There may be a lower ager limit - like 14. The winner of each day gets a golden ticket to go to a special audition for the real AI show. The winner can be any age, but they can only use their ticket to go to a real audition if they meet the AI age criteria. If they don't, they can give their ticket to someone who does.

I hope I remembered everything. Oh yeah - if you are serious about doing this, you can look up the song list on line so you can comed prepared knowing what you want to sing.

I really enjoyed this tour. I wasn't sure if I would, but it was really interesting. I also like the real AI show. At least, I used to. I started getting really into it the year Fantasia won. I started liking it a lot less the year that Taylor Hick won. I just didn't think he had the star power and the right style. I don't know who gave him all his votes, but they sure didn't buy his CD.

I am looking forward to seeing one of the AI shows this summer. I would actually consider auditioning, but I take everything really seriously and that might not be fun on vacation.

Anyway - please don't hesitate to ask questions about AI

When I return I will tell you about our lovely dinner at the Brown Derby, the Osborned lights, and a long trek over to see the Candlelight Processional.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:00 PM   #85
Lady Lallie
DIS Veteran

I wasn't looking forward to the AI attraction but it does sound like fun. The whole golden ticket thing seems pretty neat too!

SSR looks beautiful, I don't think I have seen many pictures but it looks very relaxing.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:02 PM   #86
Mr. & Mrs. Smith
How can you not look? They're frickin' hilarious.

Thanks for sharing the info about your AI preview! I have read some other experiences as well. It sounds like an attraction that I would really like to visit. I'm just a watcher though, not a singer.

August/September 2007 - All-Star Sports January 2009 - Pop Century February 2010 - Pop Century
Old 12-27-2008, 08:34 AM   #87
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing! For the AI attraction I'm curious to hear how they handle giving "feedback" to those who may not be 'naturally talented.' I can't watch the show b/c I get so embarrassed for those folks!

Old 12-27-2008, 10:48 AM   #88
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Hi! I'm joining the fun - I was interested in your TR, because we are going "just us" in March, and we also own at SSR. Our boys are grown - I can really relate to "are you freakin' crazy" Our first stay was in Grandstand - brand spankin new! I think I'll request that again, based on your room report.

I'm excited about AI - how do you become a part of the audience? Is it just a wait in line before show time, or do you pick up tickets somewhere?

I'm looking forward to the rest of your report!
Old 12-27-2008, 02:07 PM   #89
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I'm so glad. I have a few more to post, but first I have to tell you guys about MK.

Hey - thanks for joining in! I just checked out your trip report from HHI. That place looks great. You must have points there to be able to go in July! I have to tell you that I laughed out loud when I read your comment about the toll booth in Delaware. What - you don't like our highly organized, low traffic roads? I know exactly the spot you are talking about.
I think anyone who has traveled south through DE knows the toll I was talking about!! We don't have points in HHI, we used the cash discount. But, we did meet several families that week who booked with points and their points were from elsewhere. We all enjoyed our time there, can't wait to go back! Our plan is to buy a HHI resale contract this spring after tax season, DH is a CPA. However, he did just give me pts at BCV for Christmas ...that's he WILL when the waitlist comes through! Anyway, thanks for reading my TR!

OK- I'm going to go read the rest of your TR now-

E
Old 12-27-2008, 08:18 PM   #90
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
I wasn't looking forward to the AI attraction but it does sound like fun. The whole golden ticket thing seems pretty neat too!

SSR looks beautiful, I don't think I have seen many pictures but it looks very relaxing.
I thought the attraction looked better than I thought it would. I definately want to see a show. As far as being a contestant, I don't know. I definately think it is something that people should prepare for. I know there will be a website that will list ( and probably play) all the songs. I think it would be really smart for the contestant to pick a song(s) well in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. & Mrs. Smith View Post
Thanks for sharing the info about your AI preview! I have read some other experiences as well. It sounds like an attraction that I would really like to visit. I'm just a watcher though, not a singer.
Your welcome. I agree. I think it would be fun to watch. The stage looks so similar to the real deal. Reminds me of "Millioniare"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
Thanks for sharing! For the AI attraction I'm curious to hear how they handle giving "feedback" to those who may not be 'naturally talented.' I can't watch the show b/c I get so embarrassed for those folks!

Our tour leader actually said that the people handling the auditions will be very sensitive when the eliminate people. They are not going to act Simon. They will basically say, "You did a great job, but you are not what we are looking for for the next show". They are in no way planning to be critical of contestants. They don't want to ruin someone's day in the park. I'm sure there will still be some hurt feelings, but this attraction looks like to good test for someone who really wants to do the real Idol.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: