Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2008, 07:48 AM   #1
janni518
DIS Veteran
 
janni518's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Noo Joisey
Posts: 682

America's Cheapest Family on Today Show

Anyone else see them? I've seen them before on other shows but always worth a second look at their site. Especially with the current state of the economy.

http://www.homeeconomiser.com/

It had hit capacity earlier but I was able to get in after a few tries.
__________________
janni518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:23 AM   #2
MEM
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: AKV, BCV, SSR, VWL
Posts: 2,408

Quote:
Originally Posted by janni518 View Post
Anyone else see them? I've seen them before on other shows but always worth a second look at their site. Especially with the current state of the economy.

http://www.homeeconomiser.com/

It had hit capacity earlier but I was able to get in after a few tries.
I purchased their book about a year ago when it first came out. There were a few ideas I learned from but most of their ideas are, to me, a privileged glimpse into the bloody obvious! Honestly - "to save money, stay out of stores"! "pack your lunch at least three times a week"! One of the worst ideas in the book was: when you go on vacation, buy a used crockpot in the local thrift shop in the area you are visiting. Bring with you a case of canned pasta, i.e. spaghettios. Dump the pasta into the crockpot and head out sightseeing. When you return to your motel room at the end of the day, you have a hot, cheap and nourishing meal waiting.

I said to DH that now is when Amy Dacycyzn needs to resurface!!!
__________________
First DCL trip June 2014 on the Dream
MEM is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-18-2008, 09:57 AM   #3
goofyboyzmom
DIS Veteran
 
goofyboyzmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 540

They are laughing all the way to the bank with the proceeds from these book sales!
__________________
October 1988 - Honeymoon Visit to Epcot
November/December 2000 - Dixie Landings
December 2002 - 3 Days Land at Swan & Dolphin/4 Days at Sea on the Disney Wonder/3 Days US/IOA
November/December 2004 - 1 Night All-Sports/7-Day Disney Magic/3-Nights Dixie Landings
October 2005 - 1st Stay at Saratoga Springs as DVC Members
November 2006 - Saratoga Springs for Thanksgiving!!!
November/December 2007 - Saratoga Springs
April 2008 - Port Orleans-Riverside
November/December 2009 - Saratoga Springs
November 2011 - Saratoga Springs
November/December 2013 - Saratoga Springs

Me DH DS DS DS Ranger

goofyboyzmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion
 
pjlla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: South Central NH
Posts: 9,734

Interesting website. Sort of an updated version of the Tightwad Gazette family. But so much of the stuff they talk about is either obvious to most thrifty folks or repeat of what has been available for years in books like the Tightwad Gazette.

I suppose if you have never been the thrifty type some of this stuff might be new to you. But I am guessing that most people here on the BB could WRITE that stuff!...................P
__________________




WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:11 AM   #5
MEM
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: AKV, BCV, SSR, VWL
Posts: 2,408

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla View Post
Interesting website. Sort of an updated version of the Tightwad Gazette family. But so much of the stuff they talk about is either obvious to most thrifty folks or repeat of what has been available for years in books like the Tightwad Gazette.

I suppose if you have never been the thrifty type some of this stuff might be new to you. But I am guessing that most people here on the BB could WRITE that stuff!...................P
My sentiments EXACTLY! I felt ripped off by the book.
__________________
First DCL trip June 2014 on the Dream
MEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:20 AM   #6
KKB
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,022

Funny how people are willing to PAY to live cheaper!

I remember Amy D--The Tightwad Gazetter--even she recommended checking her book out from the library!

I scanned the newsletter--I agree, not rocket science there!

I would not be comfortable with having spaghettios in a crock pot at home or vacation! Some of Amy D's suggestions don't work well for me, either.

BUT I do believe in saving WHEREVER possible in one's life...WHY spend more than you have to on what you need to buy and WHY spend your money on things that aren't truly important to you.

We have a nice house in a nice neighborhood with a mortgage we can comfortably afford (our mortgage is thru my inlaws, so it is like paying ourselves....). We drive paid-for cars for 10 years before buying another used car (1-2 yrs old). We only buy new furniture/electronics/appliances when NEEDED (break, rip, etc) Clothing is bought on clearance or at Target.
Menus are based on what is in the freezer/pantry, and I stock up seriously when things we use are on sale. I use coupons some, store brands alot. Around $500-600/month for food for 5, including a teenage son. (and HEALTHY...few snacks--popcorn, pretzels, jerky--fruit & veggies at lunch & dinner, mostly fresh; whole grain products)

We DO travel A LOT--and people think we are rich because we travel so much. But THAT is what is important to us. And I strive to get the best deal possible for travel...I rarely pay over $250/RT plane ticket, 7 day cruises for $500, free dining at WDW (or 40% off), stay in cheap rooms (we are never there; location can be worth a bit more), etc.

My theory is...pay as little as possible for what you need/want and never spend money on things that truly do not make you happy.
__________________
Kris
12/24/05 Disney Magic E. Caribbean (w/ DH's family)
10/20-10/28/07 WDW POP (w/ my family)
9/5-9/13/09 WDW POP (same crew...plus my dad!w/ FREE DDP!! WOO HOO!)

Last edited by KKB; 12-18-2008 at 02:43 PM.
KKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:30 AM   #7
CherylA
DIS Veteran
 
CherylA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: CT
Posts: 2,046

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKB View Post
I remember Amy D--The Tightwad Gazetter--even she recommended checking her book out from the library!

I scanned the newsletter--I agree, not rocket science there!

I would not be comfortable with having spaghettios in a crock pot at home or vacation! Some of Amy D's suggestions don't work well for me, either.

BUT I do believe in saving WHEREVER possible in one's life...WHY spend more than you have to on what you need to buy and WHY spend your money on things that aren't truly important to you.

We have a nice house in a nice neighborhood with a mortgage we can comfortably afford (our mortgage is thru my inlaws, so it is like paying ourselves....). We drive paid-for cars for 10 years before buying another used car (1-2 yrs old). We only buy new furniture/electronics/appliances when NEEDED (break, rip, etc) Clothing is bought on clearance or at Target.
Menus are based on what is in the freezer/pantry, and I stock up seriously when things we use are on sale. I use coupons some, store brands alot. Around $500-600/month for food for 5, including a teenage son.

We DO travel A LOT--and people think we are rich because we travel so much. But THAT is what is important to us. And I strive to get the best deal possible for travel...I rarely pay over $250/RT plane ticket, 7 day cruises for $500, free dining at WDW (or 40% off), stay in cheap rooms (we are never there; location can be worth a bit more), etc.

My theory is...pay as little as possible for what you need/want and never spend money on things that truly do not make you happy.
There are VERY few people out there who get my theory on money and spending yet you summed it up. I feel exactally that same way!
__________________
CherylA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:36 AM   #8
jessily
DIS Veteran
 
jessily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 803

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKB View Post
We DO travel A LOT--and people think we are rich because we travel so much. But THAT is what is important to us.
I had to comment on this. Travel is very important to me as well and is what most of my "disposable" income goes towards. My friends will ask how I can afford to go on 2 or 3 trips per year. Many of them make more money than I do. The simple answer is priorities. Bills, food, savings, etc. come first. My next priority is travel. With what they spend on jeans, sunglasses, bags, eating out and movie tickets in a few months, I can take a vacation. I don't judge what they spend their money on, it's just a simple fact of where the money is going.
__________________
Jessica
jessily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:45 PM   #9
KKB
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,022

I am always amazed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessily View Post
I had to comment on this. Travel is very important to me as well and is what most of my "disposable" income goes towards. My friends will ask how I can afford to go on 2 or 3 trips per year. Many of them make more money than I do. The simple answer is priorities. Bills, food, savings, etc. come first. My next priority is travel. With what they spend on jeans, sunglasses, bags, eating out and movie tickets in a few months, I can take a vacation. I don't judge what they spend their money on, it's just a simple fact of where the money is going.
I have a friend we have been trying to take a trip with...she says they can't afford it...WELL...if she would just give up her $5/day Starbucks latte habit...that's $1800/yr!!!!! (I use Starbucks as a VERY occasional treat for myself...those trips mean ALOT more!
__________________
Kris
12/24/05 Disney Magic E. Caribbean (w/ DH's family)
10/20-10/28/07 WDW POP (w/ my family)
9/5-9/13/09 WDW POP (same crew...plus my dad!w/ FREE DDP!! WOO HOO!)
KKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:11 PM   #10
Free4Life11
DIS Cast Member
I just have to say it one more time...YAGE!
"ba-doinka-a-doink-doink"
 
Free4Life11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 6,702

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEM View Post
IOne of the worst ideas in the book was: when you go on vacation, buy a used crockpot in the local thrift shop in the area you are visiting. Bring with you a case of canned pasta, i.e. spaghettios. Dump the pasta into the crockpot and head out sightseeing. When you return to your motel room at the end of the day, you have a hot, cheap and nourishing meal waiting.
That doesn't sound like a vacation to me at ALL!
Free4Life11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:47 AM   #11
Tikitoi
DIS Veteran
 
Tikitoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 2,050

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEM View Post
One of the worst ideas in the book was: when you go on vacation, buy a used crockpot in the local thrift shop in the area you are visiting. Bring with you a case of canned pasta, i.e. spaghettios. Dump the pasta into the crockpot and head out sightseeing. When you return to your motel room at the end of the day, you have a hot, cheap and nourishing meal waiting.
I can't believe they could actually print something like that.
__________________
OPINIONS ARE ULTIMATELY DETERMINED BY FEELINGS AND NOT BY INTELLECT Disneyland 2X...Disney Cruise 1X...Disney World 9X...And still counting for ALL...http://www.disboards.com/showthread....804324...Vegas TR

You're just a board...get over yourself!

Tikitoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:54 AM   #12
BeckyScott
I am still upset that they don't make the Hello Kitty clogs in adult sizes
 
BeckyScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,127

I don't think the Budget Board peeps are exactly "typical" with spending, if you kwim.

It's just like every year when Woman's Day and Family Circle run those "save money this year!" articles, or (bless her heart) Suze Orman shows up yapping about 10 ways to get out of debt, or Oprah has a chick that saves 90% of her grocery bill by using coupons and loss leaders. If you've seen one of 'em, you've seen 'em all.

However. I do remember last year, I think, when Oprah did her big get-out-of-debt shows with the different clueless families. I watched those. And spent most of my time thinking, 'you're kidding, right?' I guess in spite of the huge amount of repeated information available anywhere, there are still plenty of people that have no clue. Looking shocked when they found out that consignment stores sell name-brand clothes. Never went to the Aldi's that was two blocks from their house. Somehow overlooked the fact that their teen daughter has 35 pairs of jeans.

My DH got a ton of grief when he told his co-workers that we got food from Angel Food. They told him it was only for poor people. And so he sat there eating his lunch of leftover steak and baked potato, while they chowed down on canned raviolis. My MIL tsk-tsks us because we go to a clinic for medical care-- a clinic that started out as a "free clinic" about 10 years ago but since then has done some serious upgrading-- a clinic with the best pediatrician in town, the other doctors are as good as any you'd find, wonderful nursing staff-- oh, it's the poor people clinic, she won't go there. They are horrified at "trash-pickin day", which for us is some of the best fun out there. People just don't think.

These people would also probably be horrified at the idea of bringing your own Glow Necklaces to Disney or shoving packs of pop-tarts in your kid's luggage or making your own matchy-matchy t-shirts. That's fine. As you all say, a dollar saved is a dollar you can spend on Disney.

And I do love Amy D. Her 3-in-1 doesn't leave the house, I don't trust anyone enough to loan it out.
BeckyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:53 AM   #13
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012
 
kaytieeldr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!
Posts: 35,819

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEM
but most of their ideas are, to me, a privileged glimpse into the bloody obvious! Honestly - "to save money, stay out of stores"!
LOL! I do try to stay out of stores, except CVS, Walgreens, and a couple of supermarkets; my new mantra is, "But do I NEED it?". Given mature consideration, so far (this having just started on Christmas Day when my brother criticized his GF for giving me a gift because I have "too much stuff"!) it's worked.

Now, granted, New Year's Eve I spent a lot of money at CVS - but I had flexible spending credit I had to use up, and the only non-covered items I bought were toothpaste and three bags of Three Musketeers Mint Minis (and yes, I did NEED them).
__________________
OFFICIAL 2014 Reading Challenge Participant 32/52
Phone Monkey; Phone Monkey 2; Phone Monkey Declined; The Barkeep; Ultimate Guide to Soapmaking; Brief Anecdotes from an Amusing Life; Twisted Disney; Tony Partly Cloudy; The Alternative Guide to Nursery Rhymes; Dead Woman's Shoes; South of Normal; Wal-Mart Book of Ethics; Las Vegas Cab Life; Savvy Travelers Guide: Boston Red Sox; Professor Plausible's Big Book of Baloney; Sweet Masterpiece; The President's Brain is Missing; Why Your Flight Attendant Hates You; Dirty Numbers; My Life on Craigslist; Retail Memories: When Customer Attack; The Village Idiots Cruise Club; How to Find Your Soulmate on the Internet - NOT!; The Dining Doctor; Cars & Stars; Tales in the Sky; Reader's Digest The Dumb Book; An Amazon Verified Purchase; Adventures in Casino Security; Waiter Rant; Keep the Change; Fairy Tales from the I.R.S.; now (still) reading "Hot Doug's", along with 'Match Dot C'mon', 'Cliches: A Dictionary of Recieved Ideas', 'The Chase', and 'Real Happy Family'
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:57 AM   #14
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012
 
kaytieeldr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!
Posts: 35,819

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikitoi View Post
I can't believe they could actually print something like that.
Plus, after eight, ten, or more hours in a crockpot - wouldn't a product like that have dissolved?
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:16 PM   #15
Tikitoi
DIS Veteran
 
Tikitoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 2,050

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
Plus, after eight, ten, or more hours in a crockpot - wouldn't a product like that have dissolved?
Dissolved and whatever if anything left, just sticking to that pot.
__________________
OPINIONS ARE ULTIMATELY DETERMINED BY FEELINGS AND NOT BY INTELLECT Disneyland 2X...Disney Cruise 1X...Disney World 9X...And still counting for ALL...http://www.disboards.com/showthread....804324...Vegas TR

You're just a board...get over yourself!

Tikitoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.