Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-21-2008, 12:30 AM   #121
WUVmyDISNEY
DIS Veteran
 
WUVmyDISNEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South Philly native living in MO
Posts: 990

add us to the list

We just returned from our stay at the Comtemporary (12/14 - 12/20) and it hit my husband at Epcot while we were waiting to get on Soarin. Thank God we had not gotten on the ride yet. We were stuck there at Epcot for 2 hours until he felt that he could make it back to CR on the monorail system. We got back to the room in the nick of time! He started with the diarhea for several hours and then the forceful vomiting started and lasted for several hours. The diarhea continued. We went out front to the bench so he could get some fresh air and he about collapsed from weakness. He fell flat on his face and wound up bruised, sore and a bloody knee. It made me a nervous wreck! He even asked if there were house dr's in case he needed one( which surprised me since he reserves dr visits for only when absolutely necessary so that told me how bad he was feeling) When that happened, there was another guy out on the benches and he asked if Dh had the stomach flu and he said that he also had it and had lost the past day and a half of his trip so far. He had gotten sick in Mama Melrose's the evening before. When Dh was in the restroom at Epcot, he said there was a guy in there violently vomiting as well. I met another woman who told me her DH had it also. So yeh, we did lose some of those TS credits from our dining plan for sure! I was worried about if he would be well enough for our flight today but he was feeling a lot better and not nearly as weak. Our flight took off and he reached for an airsick bag just to make sure it was available as he was starting to feel nauseated again. He felt that way for the whole flight home but made it home ok. He got his appetite back and did eat something but had another bout of the diarhea but seems to be a lot better now. Yesterday my son started feeling light headed and is today haveing some stomach pain but so far he isn't ill. I feel fine for now and hope it stays that way! I did bring my lysol with me on the trip and I've never seen anyone wash their hands more than my Dh but I think these viruses are airborne and and sometimes all the precautions just aren't enough. Some people are just going to get these things when you are on packed airplanes and busses. I wish everyone there now or leaving soon for their trip good health!!! It's bad enough being sick at home but getting something like this after spending thousands of dollars while we are supposed to be enjoying ourselves and away from the comforts of home makes it even worse. Hope everyone sick feels better and everyone not sick stays that way!!!!
WUVmyDISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:25 AM   #122
dclfun
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Moved to Orlando!
Posts: 5,670

I had it last year about this time -got it in the early morning hours as we were to check out of All Star Music. It was the worst case of "stomach flu" I ever had and I don't know how I made the drive home before collapsing. I ended up severely dehydrated and weak. This year friends of ours came down for vacation the first week of Dec. In one family two of the kids got it and then in the other family ( a couple) the husband got a severe case. One family was at POR and the other at CBR. I'm hoping it's passed through by now. My kids are at OKW with my grandson and I'd feel awful if they have it for Christmas.( well, it's awful at any time but worse on the day Santa has left presents).Here's to everyone staying healthy- go away germs!---Kathy
__________________


Skye sitting in the "poop deck" on the Disney Dream, April, 2011. We just returned from a back to back cruise on the Dream, so she's now sailed 12 times on DCL!
dclfun is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-21-2008, 10:13 AM   #123
nbodyhome
DIS Veteran
 
nbodyhome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Orlando Area
Posts: 7,119

I am glad not to have gotten it at all this week at Disney. I do eat in the parks/resorts, though I'm bothered by the way food is handled (I see way too many cast members wearing gloves, then touching their face and everything else with those same gloves - then handling the food). I'd rather see them use tongs for the food, and change gloves often.

I also once saw a kid at a buffet put something on his plate, try it, not like it, then put it back into the buffet dish. I did tell the Tusker House staff about it right away. I am surprised there aren't more food illnesses.
__________________
Denise
nbodyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:58 AM   #124
KPtoys
Life is a perpetual vacation
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wine Country, NY
Posts: 309

As someone whos entire family has just had (and the baby still has) the stomach bug (Norwalk, Norwalk-like, norovirus or some sort of gastro bug) if anyone gets it now and then goes to Disney if it's the same strain, which I am assuming it is as long since it seems to be everywhere, your body will build an immunity to it for a few months so this if it's still in Disney when we get there we should be protected. Finally something positive comes out of the torture we have all endured for the past 4 days!
__________________
DD6 DS4 DS2

Pre Dec 91 - Many times but too young to remember, Dec 1991 - Off Site, June 1996 - Lake Bunea Vista Palace, Jan 2004 - Celebration, Jan 2006 - Off site - OLCC, Sept 2007 - Polynesian , Jan 2009 - Wilderness Lodge

KPtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:00 AM   #125
KPtoys
Life is a perpetual vacation
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wine Country, NY
Posts: 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
I am glad not to have gotten it at all this week at Disney. I do eat in the parks/resorts, though I'm bothered by the way food is handled (I see way too many cast members wearing gloves, then touching their face and everything else with those same gloves - then handling the food). I'd rather see them use tongs for the food, and change gloves often.

I also once saw a kid at a buffet put something on his plate, try it, not like it, then put it back into the buffet dish. I did tell the Tusker House staff about it right away. I am surprised there aren't more food illnesses.
That happens everywhere what about the people who work in delis or places where they make food then handle your money. I can not tell you the amount of times i have had someone remake my food because they would put something together for me then grab dirty filthy money with the same hand and go back and handle food.
__________________
DD6 DS4 DS2

Pre Dec 91 - Many times but too young to remember, Dec 1991 - Off Site, June 1996 - Lake Bunea Vista Palace, Jan 2004 - Celebration, Jan 2006 - Off site - OLCC, Sept 2007 - Polynesian , Jan 2009 - Wilderness Lodge

KPtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:10 AM   #126
CowboyJeff
DVC member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
I am glad not to have gotten it at all this week at Disney. I do eat in the parks/resorts, though I'm bothered by the way food is handled (I see way too many cast members wearing gloves, then touching their face and everything else with those same gloves - then handling the food). I'd rather see them use tongs for the food, and change gloves often.

I also once saw a kid at a buffet put something on his plate, try it, not like it, then put it back into the buffet dish. I did tell the Tusker House staff about it right away. I am surprised there aren't more food illnesses.
We're thankful none of us caught anything this past trip. 2 years ago when we stayed at the Caribbean Beach Club, all four of us caught the bug and we were sick for half the trip. It's no fun being voluntarily confined to your hotel room on vacation. You're right about the buffets. We try to avoid them like the plague. Way too many unsupervised kids handle the food incorrectly.
CowboyJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:05 PM   #127
Tiger926
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 8,212

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyJeff View Post
We're thankful none of us caught anything this past trip. 2 years ago when we stayed at the Caribbean Beach Club, all four of us caught the bug and we were sick for half the trip. It's no fun being voluntarily confined to your hotel room on vacation. You're right about the buffets. We try to avoid them like the plague. Way too many unsupervised kids handle the food incorrectly.

Totally true, and another example of bad parenting. Not sure why parents think it's ok to let small children, or any children for that matter touch other people's food. Buffets are shared environments and therefore, no place for children to be serving themselves, IMHO.

Tiger
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:32 PM   #128
spyglass
Earning My Ears
 
spyglass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 33

I thought I had food poisoning until I read this thread. I got sick on Wednesday night. Had eaten at the Polynesian Luau and Columbia Harbour House that day. Vomiting, diarrhea, horrible headache and just achy all over. Saw where a couple of people had thrown up at our resort WL and someone threw up at CRT in the lobby. I am one that uses the anti-bacterial soap all the time and will not touch a bathroom door handle. I spent our last full day in the room thinking I was dying. I will say it takes a couple of days to actually feel better. Other than that it was a great trip.
spyglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:03 PM   #129
miskamouskamickey
A dream is a wish your heart makes
 
miskamouskamickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by WUVmyDISNEY View Post
We just returned from our stay at the Comtemporary (12/14 - 12/20) and it hit my husband at Epcot while we were waiting to get on Soarin. Thank God we had not gotten on the ride yet. We were stuck there at Epcot for 2 hours until he felt that he could make it back to CR on the monorail system. We got back to the room in the nick of time! He started with the diarhea for several hours and then the forceful vomiting started and lasted for several hours. The diarhea continued. We went out front to the bench so he could get some fresh air and he about collapsed from weakness. He fell flat on his face and wound up bruised, sore and a bloody knee. It made me a nervous wreck! He even asked if there were house dr's in case he needed one( which surprised me since he reserves dr visits for only when absolutely necessary so that told me how bad he was feeling) When that happened, there was another guy out on the benches and he asked if Dh had the stomach flu and he said that he also had it and had lost the past day and a half of his trip so far. He had gotten sick in Mama Melrose's the evening before. When Dh was in the restroom at Epcot, he said there was a guy in there violently vomiting as well. I met another woman who told me her DH had it also. So yeh, we did lose some of those TS credits from our dining plan for sure! I was worried about if he would be well enough for our flight today but he was feeling a lot better and not nearly as weak. Our flight took off and he reached for an airsick bag just to make sure it was available as he was starting to feel nauseated again. He felt that way for the whole flight home but made it home ok. He got his appetite back and did eat something but had another bout of the diarhea but seems to be a lot better now. Yesterday my son started feeling light headed and is today haveing some stomach pain but so far he isn't ill. I feel fine for now and hope it stays that way! I did bring my lysol with me on the trip and I've never seen anyone wash their hands more than my Dh but I think these viruses are airborne and and sometimes all the precautions just aren't enough. Some people are just going to get these things when you are on packed airplanes and busses. I wish everyone there now or leaving soon for their trip good health!!! It's bad enough being sick at home but getting something like this after spending thousands of dollars while we are supposed to be enjoying ourselves and away from the comforts of home makes it even worse. Hope everyone sick feels better and everyone not sick stays that way!!!!
I hope everyone is feeling better.


WUVmyDISNEY: Where did you guys stay within the Contemporary (garden wing or tower)?

Reading this is freaking me out as I am sure it's doing the same to others. I'm curious though I know that babies get a Rotovirus vaccine which helps prevent the "Stomach Flu". I wonder if this would help my 16 month old DD. She's had all three of the required doses. I'd rather get sick than her.
__________________
miskamouskamickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:16 PM   #130
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place
 
LilyWDW's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Indy
Posts: 8,907

and for those who think they may not have had the virus because only one member of the family had it... it doesn't hit everyone. I was stuck at home for 4 days and all 4 days my mother was also here. She has a badly broken ancle and at the time couldn't put any weight on it. She was litterally sitting 5 feet or so from me for most of that time... and she didn't get it. We were shocked honestly.
__________________

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/



LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:23 PM   #131
NeverBeen2DW
I have been to Disney, I just do not know how to change my screen name!
 
NeverBeen2DW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,175

We ate at Cape May the last day we were there for breakfast. I have a bit of a stomach something. I am not throwing up but definately am having some gastro intestinal issues. Not full diarhea but close to it and painful intestinal pains. Put it this way I must get to the bathroom quick. So far I am the only one in the group who went that has it.
__________________
Uu

Completed trips: AKL 12/4/2006, PO-FQ 3/19/2007, CSR 12/7/2007, POP 4/17/2008, BWI 12/12/08, CSR 12/16/08, CSR 4/1/2009, POR-RS WORST RESORT! 12/15/2009
Upcoming trip: CSR Dec 2 - 6
NeverBeen2DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:42 PM   #132
kar0066
Mouseketeer
 
kar0066's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 246

I got sick too! I was at All Star Movies 12/5-12/13. I got home at 10:30 pm Saturday night. By noon the next day I was sick. I did not feel human again until 4 days later. I did see a girl throw up in the bus. Someone also threw up at Monsters Inc. while waiting in line. I am thankful I did not get sick until I was home.
kar0066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:51 PM   #133
swald91
DIS Veteran
 
swald91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,051

Oh my...I hate even reading this thread but it sounds like this bug is still going around. I don't like hearing how people get sick on their vacation-it happened to us once & it was terrible...I hope if I am going to get it-I get it long before our trip next month!!!!
__________________
1996-2013 OUR DISNEY WORLD TRIPS

Grand Floridian first time in November!
Polynesian(CL) Dixie Landings & Wilderness Lodge
>>>> BEGIN SHAMROCK IMG CODE <<<<



<<<< END SHAMROCK IMG CODE >>>>>
Thanks BCV23!!!! (And MsStinkerbelle for your help!!)
swald91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:53 PM   #134
VLee
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,768

So sorry for everyone who got sick..that must be an awful way to spend any day, especially a vacation day.

I was unaware of any bug while we were at BCV, 12/7 - 12/13, but am so thankful that my mother, 81, did not get this. We did the usual wipe-down thing with lysol spray and wipes and she is always cautious about not touching bathroom door handles, etc. We did not eat at any buffets, which might have been lucky, especially seeing how many of you were sick.

I had felt a little uneasy on the plane, rebreathing all that circulated air and wished I had remembered to take some Neosporin to coat the inside of our nostrils. I have a friend who does this all the time on her trips to Europe while on the plane.
__________________
BCV & AKL- After School Celebration - May 2008!
VWL / Beach Club Villas - NewYears & Wonder Cruise Dec 07/Jan 08
Dolphin - 11/2007 - School Conference
BWV - Boardwalk View - 10/2007 - Family Reunion!
OKW - Labor Day 2007 - Pirate & Princess Party
BWV/Beach Club -- 05/2007 -- The kids and Me!
VWL -- Christmas 2006 -Mom and Me!
AS Movies 09/2006 - Jen & Kids - Brant's 4th BD!
Beach Club Villa 05/2006 - Brant and Me
Wilderness Cabins/Old Key West 01/2006-Hollye's 6th!
Polynesian Resort / Beach Club Villa 9/2005-Jen & Kids
Pop Century/ Old Key West 05/2005 - The kids & Me
AS Movies/WL Villa/ PO French Qtr 10/2004-Halloween
Pop Century/Port Orleans FQ 05/2004 - Hollye and Me
BoardWalk Villa/WL Villa 12/2003 - First Christmas!
Polynesian Resort 05/2003 -- First Trip!




[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
VLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 04:16 PM   #135
Soarin08
DCL PI Spring 2012!
 
Soarin08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: my university.... somewhere out West
Posts: 4,629

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPtoys View Post
As someone whos entire family has just had (and the baby still has) the stomach bug (Norwalk, Norwalk-like, norovirus or some sort of gastro bug) if anyone gets it now and then goes to Disney if it's the same strain, which I am assuming it is as long since it seems to be everywhere, your body will build an immunity to it for a few months so this if it's still in Disney when we get there we should be protected. Finally something positive comes out of the torture we have all endured for the past 4 days!
Then my DSis16 and I should be OK. We both just had what we think was a norovirus strain (Norwalk, perhaps, though we aren't sure, but based on our symptoms, we prolly had it). My parents and DBro8 haven't had the bug this year (they all did last year, while me and sis didn't). What's odd though is the night before my mom started vomiting (she started at 4am when she was sick), I took several swallows of her drink through the straw she used and never got the virus.
__________________



*Spring Advantage 2009 CP (Saratoga Springs)~BYU Spring 2011 CP (Ft. Wilderness)~Campus Rep (BYU Idaho)*
*March 1997 (Hilton at Downtown Disney- first trip!)~May 1998 (Coronado Springs)~Annual Passholder 2005-2006 (lived in Tampa)~June 2008 (Ft. Wilderness Resort and Campground-cabins)~December 2008 (Port Orleans Riverside)~March 2009 (Grand Floridian)~June 2009 (Treehouse Villas at Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa)~July 2009 (Port Orleans Riverside)~January 2011 (All Star Sports)~March 2011 (Animal Kingdom Lodge)~July 2011 (Pop Century)~September 2011 (All Star Movies)*
Soarin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.