Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2009, 06:08 PM   #616
jlormeau
Sharing the Magic

Yep...we got it

Just got back from a stay at the French Quarter....2of us got the bug. Didn't ruin the trip....but put a damper on a day or so.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:48 PM   #617
momandkids
Earning My Ears

Yes, there is a stomach virus affecting many areas including outside the U.S. The incubation period is anwhere from 12 hours to 2 days. Bleach is the best and maybe the only common household use item to kill it. That being said, your common household wipes do NOT contain bleach. Look closely, they will say bleach-free. Hopefully the staff in the resturants are not working sick and are washing their hands well. The best thing you can do is wash your hands and not touch your face with your hands. This is spread by touching. It is also spread by aerosol of vomit. So if someone is getting sick near you, you can breath in the aerosol and get sick. sick:

Also some people are not showing immunity to the virus and are getting sick more than once. This can also hit you hard and fast. It will usually only last 24-48 hours, but has been known to last longer for some.

Moral to the story? Wash your hands and don't touch your face. Hopefully there is an end to the bug soon. It is one thing to have a cold when you are at Disney, but when you have diarrhea and vomiting, well that is something in itself.
momandkids is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2009, 10:25 PM   #618
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by designermv View Post
Yup. My poor husband had to sprint from our table at the California Grill so he could vomit Exorcist-style in the men's room. He blamed it on the Ugly Betty Cheeseburger he ate earlier that day at the ABC Commissary, but I think it was the virus. By the time our entrees arrived, he was green at the gills and we had no choice but to pay our check and leave. He got his filet to go and it was still in the fridge at WL when we checked out yesterday. What a waste.
If I were he I would have sat out in the lobby and let the family enjoy the dinners. Heck they could even cut up my fish filet and share it among themselves.

Once I was with a club tour and we went to a restaurant and I got sick (actually I already had the bad cold) and did just that, sit out in the lobby. One of the club chairpersons urged me to take a taxi back to the hotel but when I said he or the club would have to pay the fare, he quieted down and I just waited for everyone else and the tour bus.

Over the past few years there have been several reports of Norwalk or other illness spreading through cruise ships and cruise operators wiping railing with disinfectant. Is Disney wiping down railings, turnstile finger scanners, door handles, ride safety bars, etc?

Disney hints: http://www.cockam.com/disney.htm
Hotel scam! Someone "from the front desk" calls your room phone or knocks on the door, usually after midnight, asking for your credit card number to complete your billing or you will be kicked out. Don't give it to him. It can wait until dawn when you stop by the front desk. This includes Disney's resorts too.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:35 PM   #619
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Sitting in a restaurant lobby while afflicted with constant vomiting and diarrhea isn't that good an idea. Ca. Grill really doesn't have a separate lobby to sit in.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:02 AM   #620
LindaDe
Earning My Ears

I and my DD are members of the "recently got sick at Disney club" (Jan 9, 09)and definately can tell you that we did wash our hands and were very aware of trying not to catch that bug due to knowing about it in advance from this thread, did fine for 9 days and then BAM! It lasted 4 days for us. That is one bad bug and I pity anyone who was placed in our room at POR after us cause that was one infected room...we had to send the boys back to PA ahead of us in the car while we stayed an extra day in that room and flew home. We left a note for the mousekeeper and a very good tip hoping that she would get that room disinfected properly after we left.
My sympathies to all who get that bug. Sure any of us could get it at anytime away or at home and I sure hope that poster was wrong when he said it can hit us again cause that is NOT something I want a second time.
LindaDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:56 AM   #621
momandkids
Earning My Ears

It can hit again. I am a nurse and have been dealing with this bug at my work for a few months now. I have to report our symptoms it to the Department of Health and I had concerns that some staff were sick with it twice. They stated they are finding that some people are not developing immunity to it.
momandkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:17 AM   #622
tiggertabi
Mouseketeer

As a classroom teacher, I've watched (and experienced) this virus giong rapidly through our school constantly since November. it's BAD and some of our teachers and students have been out twice. our custodians are using bleach and virus-killer on everything but it's not helping!

Disneyland - many times as a kid!, ASSp 01/02; Honeymoon POR 07/02; ASMu 03/03; Pop 07/04; Cruise/Pop 07/05; Pop 12/06; POP Minnie 5k 05/08; DD 4th birthday trip Pop 11/08, 30th birthday 7/09 POR, Spontaneous snow trip 02/10 POR, Pop 09/10 ;
Year of the APs: 04/11 POR, 10/11 AKL, and 04/12 POR
Disneyland 07/13
AKL 07/14
tiggertabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:24 AM   #623
sashiroo
Earning My Ears

I've been a "lurker" to this post since December. We are going in May for 10 days and I'm going to start saying some Hail Mary's to stay healthy!
It seems things are getting better here as far as sickness, I'm TIRED of it! It's been a bad year for the yuckies!
sashiroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:13 PM   #624
Trish5768
Each food in its own time
My house was clean yesterday, sorry you missed it.

O my gosh! I feel just awful for all of you who have been hit with this. I'm hoping it will have run its course before we get there in June. My DD has to take round the clock meds and this could be very dangerous for her.

Keep my fingers crossed and the option of not going open.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:44 PM   #625
Lilmattie13
Mouseketeer

We got it!!

We got back from POR on Monday and boy were we sick. Luckily it started toward the end of our trip but boy did it make travelling home tough.

My 3 y/o got it the day before we left, the whole shabang. It then spread to my husband and Mom who were puking the whole plane ride home, and then it spread to me and my son but luckily we were already home.

Wow talk about knocking you on your butt.... It took a couple of days for us all to straighten out and then we had to unpack YUCk!!!

We are major handwashers but my 3 y/o is always putting things in her mouth or touching everything then putting her fingers in her mouth. Once she got it we were trapped to cycle through.

Just try really hard to handwash and NOT touch your face if you can help it.
:
1997 Off Property, 1st visit *1999 All Star Sports*2001 off Property*2002 Off Property*2005 CBR*2006 DISNEYLAND Disney hotel*2007 POR *2008 Doubletree DTD*2008 SEPT GF *2009 Mar POR.* 2009 Sept POLY *2010 June SWAN*2010 Sept Yacht club*AKL Kidani Nov 2010*PoP June 2011*GF Sept 2011*HGVC Sea World Nov 2011
Lilmattie13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: