Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2008, 02:33 PM   #31
motherof4
Mouseketeer

Nope, not too late yet, everyone should get one! Won't protect from Norwalk, but will protect from most flu strains, but remember you may still get a flu strain with the flu shot, but the symptoms will be much less! Influenza can make people very ill, especially if you have a comprimised immune system! I sound like a walking ad, but I highly suggest you get one! My family does every year, including kids!
motherof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:39 PM   #32
LovinPooh
DIS Veteran

thanks! I will call and make an appt right now. I got my kids shots, but didnt bother for myself. After reading this thread I definetly want one. I am looking forward to the eating at WDW just as much as the parks lol.
LovinPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-18-2008, 03:25 PM   #33
MommyBryn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesignlanguage View Post
How long will this bug last at WDW?? Are they doing anything extra to get rid of it or is there anything they can even do? How awful! We leave after Christmas (Dec. 31) and hope not to see that virus.

We went in Sept. and my son was sick for 2 days of that trip...once is enough for us!
I'm wondering too. We have several young babies and some elderly family members going in early Jan. This kind of worries me! I know it can be spread through handling food, so I hope Disney is taking some precautions!
Old 12-18-2008, 06:21 PM   #34
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

I was there the first week in December and I heard there were some sick people around, although I didn't see any. I didn't get sick either. I was at the YC, and I overheard a guest down the hall discussing their need for new linens with housekeeping, so I know there were sick people there.

I wash my hands very often, and carry hand wash towelettes to use right before eating. You don't really think about all the things you touch between the bathroom and the dining table, things like menus, hand rails, hostess stands, chairs, etc. So far (knocking on wood) I haven't had any problems by making sure I wash before every meal, every snack, every drink. I don't use the towelette until the food is ordered (TS) or I get to the table with my tray (CS). I also do not go to buffets, primarly due to hygiene concerns. It doesn't do any good to get your hands clean if everyone else has germs and then lays the utensils in the foodl Yuck! I know buffets are very popular here on the DIS, but you are more than welcome to them.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:38 PM   #35
DisneyWisher
DIS Veteran

I live in Ft Lauderdale and my dd15 had this the Sunday after Thanksgiving in the middle of the night. She sat up in her bed and got sick (this is the first time she didn't make it into the bathroom since she was 4, she always makes sure she gets to the bathroom in time) I just thought it was her regular cold. She gets these weird fevers that will last for a week. She's had them since she was 3 (they used to be scary because she really burns up. We think they are stress related) The stomach bug lasted 24 hours but she had so much pain from getting sick about 10 times. We visited Disney over the weekend but neither of us got it while there ( thank goodness).

I think its just something going around in Florida.
DisneyWisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:58 PM   #36
RoseGrows
Earning My Ears

Oh No

we will be there in January, my husband, adult children, their wives and our little grandchildren. Thousands and thousands of dollars, huge anticipation, and now I am afraid we will get sick. Ugh. I'm so very sorry to those who got sick on their vacation.
RoseGrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:04 PM   #37
cjensen25
Earning My Ears

Hope everything goes well for the people who do travel!
cjensen25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:10 PM   #38
Munchkin'sMommy
Mouseketeer

I live in Texas and the city where I live is seeing an outbreak in this sort of thing right now. The Health Department is reporting that it is hitting the schools the hardest. I also live in a college town and while it hasn't been at the university, it has been bad at the elementary and junior high schools. The Health Department said the virus is hitting very suddenly and making people very, very sick.

We recently found out that our 2 year old has an antibody deficiency that does not allow his immune system to function properly and even the slightest cold or cough sends him to the ER because he just gets really sick, very quick and then can't get over it. His preschool teacher said they were seeing an outbreak of this virus stuff and as soon as she told me that, I pulled him out of school because out of 10 in his class, 8 kids had already had it. Just my son and another little girl hadn't gotten it. And the mother of the littel girl pulled her out as well until all the other kids get better.

My son had something very similiar to this type of virus back in May, and let me tell you, he was so sick and miserable that they had to admit him to the hospital on his 2nd bday because he was very dehydrated and his electrolytes were all messed up.

I hope those going in the next few days manage to escape getting sick. Everyone has already said this already but....WASH YOUR HANDS. I get so grossed out when I see people not washing their hands, especially after going to the bathroom. Eww. Gross.

Have a great trip!
Munchkin'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:20 PM   #39
Maine-iac
DIS Veteran

We were at POR Riverside from Dec 11-16 and did not get sick. I did not see any signs of anyone being sick and did not hear anyone talking about it. Maybe they are getting it under control.

Maine-iac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:21 PM   #40
LukenDC
DIS Veteran

I had a Norwalk type virus while on a cruise boat docked in Amsterdam. That was in 1998 and ever since I have wondered if my infection left me with some resistance to the virus. In any case, I am vigilant about washing my hands often.
September 2007 WDW Poly/UO Portofino Bay
September 2008 WDW Poly/UO Hard Rock
December 2008 WDW Coronado Springs
August 2009 Polynesian
September 2009 Yacht Club
September 2010 Polynesian
September 2011 AKL
July 2012 Aulani
October 2012 AKL
September 2013 BWI
LukenDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:32 PM   #41
Daryl
DIS Veteran

Thumbs up

I'm there right now! Thanks for the info, thanks to this heads up I will be extra vigilant. Thanks again
Old 12-18-2008, 11:11 PM   #42
Edna "E" Mode
Earning My Ears

We're traveling there for the marathon with the kids soon. I hope we don't get this either.

My son just had something similar to this in Nov.

Got sick on his 10th birthday with vomiting and diarrhea. He lost 6 pounds in less then a week and it took about 10 days before he was able to eat normal again. This stuff is very violent. Won't go into details but we had to stay in close contact with the Dr and it was bad enough that it really scared us. Not just the regular worry you have when you kid is sick but truly scared.

That Norwalk virus closed down a college here and in the next town over closed other schools.

Here's hoping everyone stays healthy and those that are sick recover quickly.
Edna "E" Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:12 PM   #43
lisaanddenny
Mouseketeer

its not just orlando

i work in a major hospital in Pittsburgh, everyone has had it, its awful, anywhere from 1-3 days
lisaanddenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:19 AM   #44
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinPooh View Post
Is it too late for a flu shot? I am sure it wouldnt protect against Norwalk, but in general is it too late?
No.Flu season is just starting to pick up in Dec and jan, but it will not protect you in anyway against a stomach virus.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:24 AM   #45
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesignlanguage View Post
How long will this bug last at WDW?? Are they doing anything extra to get rid of it or is there anything they can even do? How awful! We leave after Christmas (Dec. 31) and hope not to see that virus.

We went in Sept. and my son was sick for 2 days of that trip...once is enough for us!
No way to tell.Stomach viruses as is any virus , has to run its course( no pun intended).Disney can sanitize and sanitize but no guarantees to get all the virus.It is simply that time of year.Antibacterial wipes and gels are useless.you need hot water and soap.As for vaccines available, there is a rota virus vaccine on the market, but it is not for adults only the little kiddies.I truly feel for all those people traveling right now.this is another reason I hate travelling during cold and flu season.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: