Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2008, 09:14 AM   #16
IWISHFORDISNEY
Cant get enough of the mouse!
It was tricky with only one bathroom
I will never ever forget that embarrassing episode of being farted upon

Location: The First State but wishing it was the Sunshine State...

We got it too Nov 16-18th

Our last 2 days my family was hit with this. We were there from the 10-15th with no problems and our last 2 days were horrible. We all had the nausea and diarrhea, then came the vomiting. The plane ride home was not fun. We were staying at POP. Take lots of lysol wipes and Immodium.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:21 AM   #17
weesignlanguage
DIS Veteran

How long will this bug last at WDW?? Are they doing anything extra to get rid of it or is there anything they can even do? How awful! We leave after Christmas (Dec. 31) and hope not to see that virus.

We went in Sept. and my son was sick for 2 days of that trip...once is enough for us!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-18-2008, 09:38 AM   #18
time4Mickey
Mouseketeer

We just got back from a week long trip 12/16. We also managed to stay healthy. I did not see or hear anything about it. We stayed at the Poly and AKL.
time4Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:53 AM   #19
whiteside61
Earning My Ears

Yikes! we check in tomorrow at the WL. I'm terrified! there will be nine of us for a grand gathering celebrating my parent's 50th anniversary. I pray we don't catch it!!!!
whiteside61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:58 AM   #20
designermv
Disco Miniature Golfing Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteside61 View Post
Yikes! we check in tomorrow at the WL. I'm terrified! there will be nine of us for a grand gathering celebrating my parent's 50th anniversary. I pray we don't catch it!!!!
We were at WL when my husband got sick, but I think you can catch it anywhere. Just wash your hands with hot water and soap, and do it frequently. On the plus side, my daughter and I did not get sick, even though we were in a room with DH.

Have a great trip!
Polynesian, November 2011
Polynesian, November 2012
Polynesian CL, October 21-28 2013
Upcoming: Wilderness Lodge CL, October 11-18

R Noodle (9yrs) Peepers (4yrs)

designermv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:06 AM   #21
drcandon
Mouseketeer

We were at the AKL last week and noticed that most of the mousekeepers were using a Javel (Javex solution) wipe down routine- I have worked in a few laboratories and once you get that smell in your nose - even small amounts are noticeable..so I asked a couple of mousekeepers and the girls at conceirge about it and they confirmed that Disney is stepping up the antiseptic wipe down for the past couple of weeks and obviously into this week. I guess quite a few quests are throwing up in many resorts. AKL was not bad but they are wiping down as a precaution. Other resorts are hit harder...

And this is a "Norwalk" type virus - same symptoms different genus etc etc..

And yes, antibacterial wipes are only useful on bacteria, but a JAVEL solution will strip all infectious material and that is why it is used...
drcandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:19 AM   #22
band_man
Mouseketeer

Oh. Great. We will check in on the 26th.

We had this virus in our family last year. If you have never had it you cannot comprehend how bad it is. Truly, Truly horrible and SOOOOO contageous. We bleached everything. It didn't help. Everyone got it.

It is certainly not their fault, but I hope Disney continues to take action.
1993 Polynesian Honeymoon! , 1994 Wilderness Lodge, 1995 Polynesian, 1996 All-Star Music, 2003 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2004 All-Star Music, 2005 Wilderness Lodge, 2007 Pop Century, 2007 All-Star Sports, 2008 Wilderness Lodge -XMAS, 2009 All-Star Movies, 2011 Pop Century

Last edited by band_man; 12-18-2008 at 01:54 PM.
band_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:26 AM   #23
Sammie
DIS Veteran

I am so sorry to hear of anyone getting sick on vacation, and I certainly hope that anyone planning a trip will be spared, but thank you so much for sharing this info.

Hopefully your sharing of the info will make many realize that when you get sick at Disney it is very likely a virus and not food poisoning.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:51 AM   #24
queenie1
Mouseketeer

We were at POP 12/9-12/16 and I knew before we went that people were reporting illness. This was our first time on the dining plan and I was praying that we would stay healthy. I wiped the room down including phone and TV remote and made everyone wash their hands before eating. I am happy to report we were fine. I didn't see anyone sick around us either.

Our party of seven ate at O'hana, CRT, Le'Cellier, Crystal Palace, Sci Fi, Prime Time, Liberty Tree Tavern, and numerous counter meals. I would have been heartbroken if we hadn't been able to enjoy the dining plan and all my reservation efforts!

My heart goes out to those who have reported illness. I can't imagine how sad I would have been if it hit us. I just wanted to encourage those who are going soon not to worry too much about something you have no control over. Wishing everyone who is going soon a great healthy vacation
queenie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:03 PM   #25
Luv Bunnies
DIS Veteran

If it is Norwalk, it's a very nasty virus and requires great efforts to contain. We were on a cruise ship in June (Princess, not Disney). Apparently they had an outbreak of Norwalk on the cruise right before ours and they were still in full sanitizing mode throughout our 10 day trip. The crew had these huge sprayers filled with Virox that they would carry on their backs. One guy just walked up and down the stairway all day and sprayed the hand rails. When he got to the top, he would take the elevator down and start again. Every bathroom attendent was constantly spraying everything. We got used to a thin film of wetness on almost everything we touched but we knew it was there to protect us.

Several people on our cruise still got it but it wasn't a full-blown outbreak. If you went to the med center with the virus, they would tell you to stay in your cabin for 3 days and they would come by to check that you were complying. Our family of 4 was very lucky. None of us got so much as a sniffle on that trip. If you're heading to WDW, wash those hands and avoid touching as many things as possible!
Luv Bunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:29 PM   #26
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv Bunnies View Post
If it is Norwalk, it's a very nasty virus and requires great efforts to contain. We were on a cruise ship in June (Princess, not Disney). Apparently they had an outbreak of Norwalk on the cruise right before ours and they were still in full sanitizing mode throughout our 10 day trip. The crew had these huge sprayers filled with Virox that they would carry on their backs. One guy just walked up and down the stairway all day and sprayed the hand rails. When he got to the top, he would take the elevator down and start again. Every bathroom attendent was constantly spraying everything. We got used to a thin film of wetness on almost everything we touched but we knew it was there to protect us.

Several people on our cruise still got it but it wasn't a full-blown outbreak. If you went to the med center with the virus, they would tell you to stay in your cabin for 3 days and they would come by to check that you were complying. Our family of 4 was very lucky. None of us got so much as a sniffle on that trip. If you're heading to WDW, wash those hands and avoid touching as many things as possible!
This happened to my DMIL. She and my DFIL went on a cruise in November (forgot which one) and the week before their cruise, the Norwalk virus broke out and half the ship got it. Unfortunately my DMIL got the same thing because there too were a few passengers that caught it the next week. She had said that she was quarentined to her room for 48 hours and that someone was always coming into her room to change linens and wash down everything. So everyone going down to WDW, be safe and to keep clean.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:42 PM   #27
ElizabethB
I have a raw meat fetish. Who knew!!??

Yep, it happens on cruise ships. They now make a practice on Royal Caribbean of spraying everyone's hands before they enter a dining venue. No spray = no dining.

Sorry to hear the outbreak is quite bad at WDW right now. I got something similar at WDW once and was out of commission for 4 days. It truly is awful.

Glad to hear WDW has stepped up cleaning procedures. They need to. The virus is so very contagious.
ElizabethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:47 PM   #28
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

It's not just Disney... it has been going around the local college and where I work. I got it on Thanksgiving and it knocked me out for about 48 hours (I then got pneumonia on top of it). It's hitting many places right now.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:20 PM   #29
motherof4
Mouseketeer

Tis' the season, unfortunatley! Good hand washing is the key! The ER Departments in Ontario, Canada are all back logged this time of year because of virus strains like these! Can't stress enough about hand washing! Do not touch bathroom doors or sinks without using a paper towel either, flush toilets with your feet or toilet paper, do not touch anything in a bathroom or near a bathroom without paper towel or toilet paper, thsi includes the entrance door!
motherof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:27 PM   #30
LovinPooh
DIS Veteran

Is it too late for a flu shot? I am sure it wouldnt protect against Norwalk, but in general is it too late?
LovinPooh is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: