Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2008, 05:30 PM   #151
Belle5
DIS Veteran

I can't imagine what it would be like to be a mousekeeper and have to deal with this. I hate cleaning up after my own kids and even myself. I can't imagine what it is like to walk into the first contaminated room of the season and know that you are going to get sick for sure and take it home to your own family. I guess these folks just have to brace themselves and do it. I guess the upside for them would be that they haven't just spent $$$$$ on a vacation. If they get sick they probably can just call off for a day or so...Still, I feel so bad for them and am very, very thankful I don't have to do that job.

Belle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:34 PM   #152
ClarabelleCowFan
Found Someone You Have
There's always a shortage of Barbie legs
I'm as coordinated as a drunk duck
Has never owned a guinea pig
If I see a vein I'm done!

We were there 11/27 to 12/6 and all 9 of us got it one by one. It was horrible. We had 3 rooms - 2 at SSR and 1 at ASMo. There are numerous threads on the various boards here that talk about how many people got it.

My DS19months got very sick all over me and him at Coral Reef. We saw another guest get off the bus at Ft W and vomit in the bushes.

NASTY virus like Norwalk. We had Lysol spray, Clorox wipes and Germ-X and washed our hands like mad and we still all got it.
Register to remove

Old 12-22-2008, 05:41 PM   #153
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

I think part of the reason so many people at Disney get the virus is because most people will not take a day or two to recover when they get ill. I suppose with this particular virus it seems necessary, but some people push themselves to the limit before they take a break away from people.

I really hope it goes away soon. It would suck to get really sick on vacation.

I'll probably add cleaning supplies to my luggage if I can... since we're flying there's limits to what I'll be able to bring though.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:55 PM   #154
Soarin08
DCL PI Spring 2012!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danceintherain View Post
I think part of the reason so many people at Disney get the virus is because most people will not take a day or two to recover when they get ill. I suppose with this particular virus it seems necessary, but some people push themselves to the limit before they take a break away from people.

I really hope it goes away soon. It would suck to get really sick on vacation.

I'll probably add cleaning supplies to my luggage if I can... since we're flying there's limits to what I'll be able to bring though.
You could prolly pick up some cleaning supplies once you get into Orlando if you need to. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and hoping you don't get sick.

*Spring Advantage 2009 CP (Saratoga Springs)~BYU Spring 2011 CP (Ft. Wilderness)~Campus Rep (BYU Idaho)*
*March 1997 (Hilton at Downtown Disney- first trip!)~May 1998 (Coronado Springs)~Annual Passholder 2005-2006 (lived in Tampa)~June 2008 (Ft. Wilderness Resort and Campground-cabins)~December 2008 (Port Orleans Riverside)~March 2009 (Grand Floridian)~June 2009 (Treehouse Villas at Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa)~July 2009 (Port Orleans Riverside)~January 2011 (All Star Sports)~March 2011 (Animal Kingdom Lodge)~July 2011 (Pop Century)~September 2011 (All Star Movies)*
Soarin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:58 PM   #155
ClarabelleCowFan
Found Someone You Have
There's always a shortage of Barbie legs
I'm as coordinated as a drunk duck
Has never owned a guinea pig
If I see a vein I'm done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarin08 View Post
You could prolly pick up some cleaning supplies once you get into Orlando if you need to. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and hoping you don't get sick.
Just be aware that Mousekeeping can not give you any cleaning supplies to use. I was told that they can not give out anything with chemicals b/c of the liability potential. I went to Publix in LBV and bought Lysol, Clorox Wipes, laundry soap (we were in a DVC unit with washer/dryer), hand sanitizer, liquid hand soap and light food like chicken soup, saltines and ginger ale.

Norwalk is killed by BLEACH. Mousekeeping was using a ton of bleach in the rooms to clean - the smell was overwhelming when you walked in the room.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:20 PM   #156
Soarin08
DCL PI Spring 2012!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarabelleCowFan View Post
Just be aware that Mousekeeping can not give you any cleaning supplies to use. I was told that they can not give out anything with chemicals b/c of the liability potential. I went to Publix in LBV and bought Lysol, Clorox Wipes, laundry soap (we were in a DVC unit with washer/dryer), hand sanitizer, liquid hand soap and light food like chicken soup, saltines and ginger ale.

Norwalk is killed by BLEACH. Mousekeeping was using a ton of bleach in the rooms to clean - the smell was overwhelming when you walked in the room.
That's what I meant.

At least Mousekeeping is using bleach.... thankfully. I'm still going to wipe down everything the first day just to be safe.

*Spring Advantage 2009 CP (Saratoga Springs)~BYU Spring 2011 CP (Ft. Wilderness)~Campus Rep (BYU Idaho)*
*March 1997 (Hilton at Downtown Disney- first trip!)~May 1998 (Coronado Springs)~Annual Passholder 2005-2006 (lived in Tampa)~June 2008 (Ft. Wilderness Resort and Campground-cabins)~December 2008 (Port Orleans Riverside)~March 2009 (Grand Floridian)~June 2009 (Treehouse Villas at Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa)~July 2009 (Port Orleans Riverside)~January 2011 (All Star Sports)~March 2011 (Animal Kingdom Lodge)~July 2011 (Pop Century)~September 2011 (All Star Movies)*
Old 12-22-2008, 06:34 PM   #157
rickc
Earning My Ears

flu or food poisoning?

Add our family to the list, except that our 5 year old did not experience any symptoms and was fine during the three days the rest of us were ill. We suspect our situation was food poisoning, though, because we all got sick at the very same time.
rickc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:59 PM   #158
BreezysMom
DIS Veteran

My DD did not get the stomach flu but instead spiked a nasty fever on Sat night. It came from nowhere. We went to dinner and then came back to the resort and went to bed. She kept tossing and turning and I felt her and she was on fire. I thankfully had Tylenol with me. We spent the whole day Sunday and half of Monday in the room and the Poly even let us stay in the room until Magical Express came at 2pm and I was thankful.

Now I will tell you, we washed our hands and used antibac gel before every meal. Everytime once in a while we used the antibac gel while in the parks and I also bought bleach wiped and wiped down the tv remote in the room and the door knobs and so forth. I'm a self proclaimed germ freak!

When we did get home I found out from the school that a fever virus was running rampid through the school. So I now wonder if the virus laid dormant for the first 7 days and maybe just finally reared it's ugly head?? I guess I am just thankful it was the second to last day and not the first because it took 5 days for the fever to break and dd just started to really seem 100% better today. We got home a week ago today.

I hope with the school being closed now for holiday break they can irradicate the virus.
12/09 Poly CL
12/11 Poly CL
8/12 Poly C
10/14 GF

BreezysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:06 PM   #159
Iott Family
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezysMom View Post
My DD did not get the stomach flu but instead spiked a nasty fever on Sat night. It came from nowhere. We went to dinner and then came back to the resort and went to bed. She kept tossing and turning and I felt her and she was on fire. I thankfully had Tylenol with me. We spent the whole day Sunday and half of Monday in the room and the Poly even let us stay in the room until Magical Express came at 2pm and I was thankful.

Now I will tell you, we washed our hands and used antibac gel before every meal. Everytime once in a while we used the antibac gel while in the parks and I also bought bleach wiped and wiped down the tv remote in the room and the door knobs and so forth. I'm a self proclaimed germ freak!

When we did get home I found out from the school that a fever virus was running rampid through the school. So I now wonder if the virus laid dormant for the first 7 days and maybe just finally reared it's ugly head?? I guess I am just thankful it was the second to last day and not the first because it took 5 days for the fever to break and dd just started to really seem 100% better today. We got home a week ago today.

I hope with the school being closed now for holiday break they can irradicate the virus.
Three of our four children got this last winter. Our son who was 10 and in 5th grade missed an entire week of school. It took 5 days for his fever to break. i felt so bad for him. Fevers seem so much worse the older you get. Our toddlers got it but had spurts of activity that our 10 year old couldnt muster! The power of youth!
Iott Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:19 PM   #160
Paradise East
Mouseketeer

Hopefully this will answer most questions about the Norwalk Virus and the Norovirus which, incidently, seem to be the same virus.

The CDC has an excellent Norovirus Q&A which can be found at http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/...rovirus-qa.htm

Dave
Paradise East is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:23 PM   #161
dshouse4
Mouseketeer

Our family was at Disney in mid September and had the same bug. First my daughter, then my husband, then me. On the way home, our grandson suffered with it. It lasted about 24 hours for us. Missed one each in the parks and was pretty weak the next day.

dshouse4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:50 PM   #162
Soarin08
DCL PI Spring 2012!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezysMom View Post

My sis used to do that. She'd be ok one minute and spiking 104 degree fevers the next. It was strange.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:33 PM   #163
JenEeyore
WISHing my way to success
I'm not above bribes, especially sweet ones
After you are done swimming and sliding at Stormalong Bay, you can wander in to B & C for an ice cream treat too!

Unfortunately we can be added to the list of illness.

We were on vaca from 12/3-12/7 at BCV and then DCL 12/7-11 and back to BCV 12/11-14. On the ship, there were sanitizing wipes everywhere and handwashing was constantly encouraged. Our friend caught a nasty cold the day at Nassau, but the rest of us stayed totally healthy up to that point. Trouble came the morning we were to check out after the 2nd land portion and head home on the 14th. DS6 woke up at 7 a.m. and started vomiting out of the blue. We had been at DHS the day before and rode TSM several times that night - not sure if that is where the germs got picked up since they don't sanitize that ride in between everyone pulling the cannon strings, or if he got it somewhere else in the park (so many people, so many germs), but he definitely got something! That was the longest travel day ever! Violent vomiting from 7 a.m. onwards. We had to take a DME bus back to the airport, and even ended up having to borrow a wheel chair to make it through the airport to the gate because he couldn't walk very far without having to find a bench or a bag. Lost count of bags we used that day...it was terrible and I felt so bad for him since he was so tired and weak and we couldn't just put him to bed somewhere - we had to keep going to catch flight etc. By that evening he kept a little down for a few hours at home, but overnight and the next morning things were still unsettled. It kept him out of school for 2 additional days after we returned home since the school has a 24 hr policy for such illnesses.

Fortunately us adults somehow never got it. All I can say is wash/sanitize those hands after every attraction before/after every meal etc etc. Even that can't guarantee you won't get it, but every little bit helps.

We had an awesome trip overall, and we were very glad to be home after that long travel day, but I would feel awful for those who catch that monster bug during their stay and have to deal with it away from home. It took most of the week before he was back to "normal" for eating and activities. Fortunately he drank well (even if some of it came back up) so he didn't get dehydrated where we needed to go to an ER.

EVERYONE STAY HEALTHY!!!
Old 12-23-2008, 02:09 AM   #164
wedance6
Mouseketeer

Someone threw up in the Grand Floridian lobby on Dec. 8th.....but we were are all fine. This is now making me reconsider a cruise ship, too much recycled air, probably?
AKL 9/07 AKL 5/03 POR 10/02
CBR 9/96 Offsite 3/91 CBR 6/90
Poly 7/80
wedance6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:19 AM   #165
Kickapoo Joie Juice
Gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpcotBeauty View Post
There is a nasty, nasty stomach bug that is plaguing many of the resorts. I am no Pollyanna, and know that there is a high possibility of catching a stray bug at WDW due to the sheer volume of people......but this bug is highly contagious and had all the CM's and resort employees talking. Most seemed to think it was the Norwalk virus.

It took my family out one by one during our 8 night stay. It came on viciously and violently. It started out with nausea and then forceful vomiting and diarreah for about 8 hours. It was so bad that all of us had accidents and could not make it to the bathroom (to vomit) at least a few times. The staff at the YC and BC were wonderful and told us that they and SSR had been hit the hardest. There were literally guests puking outside of the resort, in the food courts and bathrooms!

Just wanted to put this PSA out here for the DISers. Just remember to wash, wash, WASH your hands while down there!! Oh, and I pity the family that was assigned our room after we left....
We were there from Dec 13-19 and I wound up at Celebration Hospital with food poisoning on tuesday morning, after throwing up ALL NIGHT LONG.

We know it's not a virus because after 2 IV bags of fluid and a double dose of zofram (that stuff is awesome, btw) I was back in the park on wed, a little slower but feeling fine. According to the er doc, a virus will knock you out for longer.

We think it was the cherry danish in AK in Africa, it was the only thing that I did not share with our family (we're one of those families that everyone eats off of everyone elses plates) and I wear hand sanitizer on a loop on my lanyard so I was pretty sterile when I ate the danish. I was the only one of my family of four that got sick.

Interestingly enough, the LAST time we got food poisoning was also from that same area in Animal Kingdom, except that time it was my husband and younger daughter who had shared food from there. That was July 2007.

Use your hand sanitizer and avoid foods that sit out at room temp like danish...

ETA: My MIL who's a retired nurse says it's likely that there's probably a castmember (or ten) that's not washing their hands and is transmitting it like crazy, and probably touched the danish with their hands. She said that both viruses and bacteria can be transmitted very effectively this way. She said one tiny microscopic speck or smear of fecal matter left under a fingernail and wham, you're out...

Last edited by Kickapoo Joie Juice; 12-23-2008 at 07:43 AM.
Kickapoo Joie Juice is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: