Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2008, 05:31 PM   #136
maciemouse
DIS Veteran

Add us to the list too. We just had the the stomach virus in November so I thought we would be safe! Wrong! Atleast we got it the day we were checking out. Also, the family in the room next door to us had it too. When I spoke to housekeeping they also said it is going around and that she knew of atleast 4 cases of the virus reported to them that day. We stayed at AKL. We just go back today. Most of us had it in the middle of the night. My 4 year old daughter threw up the whole way home.
maciemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:51 PM   #137
brytorlyn
Mouseketeer

SOARIN08

Yes, that is my daughter when she was about 4ish....she is now 7 and just as cute. My husband is originally from Hong Kong and I am Caucasian and DD seems to have the best of both races!

26 22 12
brytorlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-21-2008, 07:18 PM   #138
WUVmyDISNEY
DIS Veteran

Miska

We were in the garden wing.
WUVmyDISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:17 PM   #139
divanicki75
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPtoys View Post
As someone whos entire family has just had (and the baby still has) the stomach bug (Norwalk, Norwalk-like, norovirus or some sort of gastro bug) if anyone gets it now and then goes to Disney if it's the same strain, which I am assuming it is as long since it seems to be everywhere, your body will build an immunity to it for a few months so this if it's still in Disney when we get there we should be protected. Finally something positive comes out of the torture we have all endured for the past 4 days!
Boy do I hope you're right! Both of my kids had this just a couple of weeks ago. We're going to Orlando 12/25-12/27 (going to DTD on 12/25 & MK on 12/26), so I'm hoping if it is still running rampant (which sounds like it would be), that they are immune to it...

I'll be bringing the antibacterial handwash, wipes and be the handwashing police...

Thanks for the 'good' info, all...
:/
Nicki
divanicki75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:38 PM   #140
Iggipolka

DIS Veteran

Ugh. I so hope that we don't get this when we go next month. I'm pregnant, so this could be really dangerous to me and to the baby.

Just a reminder though, antibacterial gel and wipes don't do a thing to kill any virus. They won't protect you against Norwalk at all. Bleach kills the virus as does the Lysol spray and good old fashioned hand washing.

DVC owners at AKV, VGC & Aulani
Iggipolka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:20 AM   #141
Iott Family
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggipolka View Post
Ugh. I so hope that we don't get this when we go next month. I'm pregnant, so this could be really dangerous to me and to the baby.

Just a reminder though, antibacterial gel and wipes don't do a thing to kill any virus. They won't protect you against Norwalk at all. Bleach kills the virus as does the Lysol spray and good old fashioned hand washing.
That's not entirely true. If your antibac hand gel or wipes have a 68% or higher alcohol content it will kill the virus. Thats why they sterilize medical implements in isoprophyl alcohol. Also, your manicurist, pedicurist and stylist uses alcohol based products to sanitize their implements. If they dont, they should!
Iott Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:06 AM   #142
DVCconvert
DIS Veteran

Quote:
There were literally guests puking outside of the resort, in the food courts and bathrooms!

Didn't these people get the memo?!!!

Disney has a tough Anti-Puking Policy!
Puking is NOT permitted in any WDW restaurant.
Guests who Puke in their rooms, or on it's balconies or patios will be charged a Room Recovery Fee!!!

Puking is allow only in the DPA's.

DVCconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:50 PM   #143
YesMickey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
I am so sorry to hear of anyone getting sick on vacation, and I certainly hope that anyone planning a trip will be spared, but thank you so much for sharing this info.

Hopefully your sharing of the info will make many realize that when you get sick at Disney it is very likely a virus and not food poisoning.
Actually they are considered the same thing as the most likely way of catching this virus is from food handlers. Just because someone is wearing gloves does not mean the gloves aren't contaminated. Had in college one day, thought someone cut me across the gut with a knife. Had to go to Urgent Care, and they gave me some sort of shot that made me very sleepy, but cured me. I was severely dehydrated.
POR Nov. '08 Makeup for shortened trip above.
Pop Century Mar '10
Pop Century Mar' 13
Self 42, DW 43, DD14, DS10
, , ,
YesMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:53 PM   #144
YesMickey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciemouse View Post
Add us to the list too. We just had the the stomach virus in November so I thought we would be safe! Wrong! Atleast we got it the day we were checking out. Also, the family in the room next door to us had it too. When I spoke to housekeeping they also said it is going around and that she knew of atleast 4 cases of the virus reported to them that day. We stayed at AKL. We just go back today. Most of us had it in the middle of the night. My 4 year old daughter threw up the whole way home.
Most likely the reason two adjacent rooms had it is due to Mousekeeping. Wearing contaminated gloves going room to room cleaning and/or changing drinking glasses, towels, soaps etc.
POR Nov. '08 Makeup for shortened trip above.
Pop Century Mar '10
Pop Century Mar' 13
Self 42, DW 43, DD14, DS10
, , ,
YesMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:57 PM   #145
tkitty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCconvert View Post

Didn't these people get the memo?!!!

Disney has a tough Anti-Puking Policy!
Puking is NOT permitted in any WDW restaurant.
Guests who Puke in their rooms, or on it's balconies or patios will be charged a Room Recovery Fee!!!

Puking is allow only in the DPA's.

Well I'm glad to see this, they need to be inforcing it! It's not fair to those of us that paid our hard earned money and just want to enjoy a puke free vacation!!!
Grew up near DL-Disneyland grad nite jr hi 1973-High school 1976 *1999 Land & Sea pkg - Contemporary/Disney*2005 First Disneyland trip with Grandson*2006 WDW Aug. POFQ*2008 Disneyland trip (first for granddaugter)*WDW-OKW & ASMu Oct 2009*Best DL trip ever May 2010* 1st MHP-DL! Oct 2011* OKW/POFQ Grandkids trip Oct 2012 * 1st DisDiva DL trip 2014!

tkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:25 PM   #146
ols386
I want to live at Disney World!!

Once the holidays are over at WDW, will the liklihood of catching the norovirus decrease? It is going around big time in Michigan right now. I would think that after the holidays when the crowds are not as large at WDW, that it will calm down a bit. I hope so, because we're going on January 10.
CBR October 2010, Polynesian December 2009, Wilderness Lodge September 2009, POFQ March 2009, DCL (Wonder) May 2008, Port Orleans Riverside January 2008, Contemporary Resort January 2007, Coronado Springs Resort January 2006, DCL (Wonder) February 2005, POP April 2004, Grand Floridian November 2003, Caribbean Beach Resort March 2002, DCL (Magic) March 2001, Various Visits During Past 15 Years
ols386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:01 PM   #147
WUVmyDISNEY
DIS Veteran

tkitty

I tried to tell my husband about the anti-puking policy since his hard earned money paid for our trip but he didn't listen!! He continued the puking anyway! lol
WUVmyDISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:41 PM   #148
srgibbs
Mouseketeer

Add me to the Virus as well! We were a family of 4 at WL from 12-14-12-20. I'm a clean freak and was telling me kids not to touch the chains bars ect. getting out the hand sanitizer after every ride. Making everyone was hands tons and tons. All was well until Wed. around 1:00PM at Epcot. We had a 1:40 ressie at Le Cellier (my favorite of course). I started feeling nauseaus so I checked to see if we could eat early thinking I was just hungry. They were full so it was around 2:15 when we got seated. I looked at the menu and ran to the bathroom getting very sick. I took the bus back to WL and yes I made it back leaving my family to eat. Stayed in bed all night and felt fine in the morning. I was very careful what I ate. Then Thursday night I got sick again after we got back to the resort and was ill until Mid morning on Friday. On a positive note my DH, DS, and DD never got sick and we still had plenty of time in the parks. I'm not sure how I picked it up as careful as I was but am thankful it didn't ruin our trip.
srgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:46 PM   #149
Soarin08
DCL PI Spring 2012!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesMickey View Post
Most likely the reason two adjacent rooms had it is due to Mousekeeping. Wearing contaminated gloves going room to room cleaning and/or changing drinking glasses, towels, soaps etc.

Ugh!!! And my mother wonders why I'm bringing Lysol spray and Clorox wipes.....

*Spring Advantage 2009 CP (Saratoga Springs)~BYU Spring 2011 CP (Ft. Wilderness)~Campus Rep (BYU Idaho)*
*March 1997 (Hilton at Downtown Disney- first trip!)~May 1998 (Coronado Springs)~Annual Passholder 2005-2006 (lived in Tampa)~June 2008 (Ft. Wilderness Resort and Campground-cabins)~December 2008 (Port Orleans Riverside)~March 2009 (Grand Floridian)~June 2009 (Treehouse Villas at Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa)~July 2009 (Port Orleans Riverside)~January 2011 (All Star Sports)~March 2011 (Animal Kingdom Lodge)~July 2011 (Pop Century)~September 2011 (All Star Movies)*
Soarin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:29 PM   #150
parmtoo
Buzz & Woody's Gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by ols386 View Post
Once the holidays are over at WDW, will the liklihood of catching the norovirus decrease? It is going around big time in Michigan right now. I would think that after the holidays when the crowds are not as large at WDW, that it will calm down a bit. I hope so, because we're going on January 10.
I hope your right, we get there on the 10th too. We have 3 little ones in our family, I'd hate for them especially to get sick while away from home.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: