Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 12:00 PM   #76
WhateverLolaWants
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyobsession138 View Post

1. I know they both must have their pros and cons, but in everyone's opinions, is Fall Advantage or Fall better?
2. What types of questions are questions I should be prepared to answer for my telephone interview (after I apply of course!)?
3. Are there any things that would be helpful to mention, or things they really want to hear from you when they are speaking to you during the interview?
4. Do I need to tell them of previous work experience, or do they see my college transcript?
5. Do you recommend taking classes? Do I pay for these classes?
6. Tips for applying, about the program, approaches or anything at all?! Haha thanks so much in advance, I really appreciate it. I get very anxious!
1. I did a Spring program, but my concern with an advantage program is the hot summer. If you did a Spring program, you could easily extend if you liked your job, but that's not the case with fall unless you want to stay a whole other semester. I would go with just the regular program, you don't know how you're going to like it.

2. The questions are just like any other job interview - why do you want to do the program, name an experience where you had to make a bad situation with a customer better, if you are willing to work qsfb (you can be honest and say no) and then a question tailored to a role you want (ex, merchandising was "say you're out of something that a customer wants, what do you do?")

3. If there's any location you really want, it doesn't hurt to mention. Makes you sound passionate and you'll never get what you want in life if you do not speak up. Talk up about making a magical experience for guests or something. Also, try to read your interviewer. Mine was a stone cold *ahem* and was not in the mood to interview that day apparently so I had to get to the point with her. Another person I knew was on the phone with their interviewer forever and that's the type of person you'd want to talk about magic with.

4. It's been so long, but I know they call your school to make sure you're eligible. Do they ask for work experience on your application? I can't remember.

5. No! Unless you really really need credit for school and the class counts for credit. You are living in Florida. I would want all of my time off from work to be free time. They will try to guilt you into taking class, though. If you don't want to, just keep saying no thank you. The woman I dealt with was terrible and would not take no for an answer even though I mentioned many times I was a senior and it was not going to count for credit.

6. Apply early for best role selection. If you don't want to work QSFB, then say no thank you, my talents would be better elsewhere. Though, QSFB is not that bad, you get paid more and the hours are plentiful. Once you get down there, make a list of things you want to accomplish while living in Florida. And bring a car if possible.

Trips

October '87, June '91, Summer '93, Summer '97, December '98, July '99, April '00, December '02, August '03, November '03, January - May '07 (College Program),
January '08 (WDW and Disney Wonder), February '08 (DL/CA), December '08, October '09, February '11, January '12, February '13, October '13,
December '13 and on - Florida Resident Annual Pass
Old 12-26-2008, 12:11 PM   #77
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by graygables View Post
My guess is b/c they cancelled the vast majority of the PIs and it was cheaper to shut down Northbridge and house them w/ the CPs. I'm fairly sure there were only a few dozen management PIs in the end, if that (all of them from the Puerto Rico interviews who got offers before the PIs started dropping like flies ) and they all live independently anyway. I also think they reduced the number of CPs they accepted to free up beds for PIs and simply due to the economy.

All of that is speculation on my part, of course, but the way the PI thing went this semester, it was a bit of an emotional bloodbath.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraebeth View Post
yea, and they're charging PI's from 125-133/week rather than the 80-100/week to live in CP housing.

Also, like gray said they were dramatically cut. some went from having like 10 to have 1 intern! and I believe the internship I applied for(youth education facilitator) which is a department run solely on interns, went from 6 to 3. . .

I am so grateful I got the CP i applied for! and will be living offsite! lol
Wow, that is crazy. It's sad so many PIs were dropped. Thanks for the info, Gray and Laura.

Quote:
I have been reading these threads for a long time, however this is my first time posting though not my last! I've been deciding when to do a program and just gathering as much information as possible. I loveee reading these threads!! And Joanna is just a godly wealth of knowledge, I must say!!

I know that all my questions must have been answered previously, but I honestly can't find them at the moment!!

I have decided to do a Fall 2009 program, am nervous since I know that the apps open soon, and I had a couple questions!! :
1. I know they both must have their pros and cons, but in everyone's opinions, is Fall Advantage or Fall better?
2. What types of questions are questions I should be prepared to answer for my telephone interview (after I apply of course!)?
3. Are there any things that would be helpful to mention, or things they really want to hear from you when they are speaking to you during the interview?
4. Do I need to tell them of previous work experience, or do they see my college transcript?
6. Tips for applying, about the program, approaches or anything at all?! Haha thanks so much in advance, I really appreciate it. I get very anxious!
1. Last time I did a Fall program, I did FA. This time I would only be able to do Fall. . I definitely like the FA program. I love being in FL. So if you think you will love the CP, I would go for Fall Advantage. If you aren't as sure, I would go for the Fall program.

2. The questions range from personal questions (why do you want to do the CP?) to questions about the roles you picked.

3. Just be yourself, and be honest. The interview is really easy.

4. Nope. I believe it can be put on the application. But you don't have to bring it up if you don't want to.

5. I think the classes are interesting. If I am accepted for Fall 09, I plan on taking classes (even though I would have graduated, so no credit). The classes are free, but you pay for any books.

6. If there are specific roles you want, try to apply early. The CP has gotten very popular, and certain roles can fill up quickly (plus some only take a limited number of CPs). Good luck! Hope to see you down there.
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-26-2008, 01:20 PM   #78
InventorsDaughter
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna71985 View Post
If you want to request a location, it has to be done before you arrive. Your location will have been decided by then.

As for doing QSR over ODF, I don't think I would want to work the carts and stuff. I was very happy being in a restaurant. It differs for everyone, though. My roomie was very happy doing ODF at DHS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
You'll get assigned the location you're working when you get there. As for which section in that location you'll actually work will be determined on a day to day basis. We logged into a computer that would tell us where to go, who to break when we got there, etc. What popped up on the computer was based on what your managers checked off that you were capable of doing and the most important tasks that day came up on the computer first.

I worked at the carts and it had its pros and cons. No air conditioning/heat was one of the cons, but it was nice to not have to work the same location every day. I also liked my alone time when I worked, and I was on the parade route and got to watch all the shows in Frontierland. There was also a lot of downtime that I don't think would happen as much at one of the CS restaurants. We also closed before some of the CS restaurants. As for Casey's, I would never want to work there. Walked through there on my trip a couple of weeks ago and wanted to barf at the smell. Yuck!
Haha, some conflicting opinions there but thanks. I think I'd prefer one of the carts but I don't really know, so I think I'm just gonna let Disney decide! Thanks for all the advice though.

What does the actual work on the carts consist of? I wanna know what I might be getting myself into lol.

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/amvv8tdf4no483e5.png[/img]
Old 12-26-2008, 03:20 PM   #79
WhateverLolaWants
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by InventorsDaughter View Post
Haha, some conflicting opinions there but thanks. I think I'd prefer one of the carts but I don't really know, so I think I'm just gonna let Disney decide! Thanks for all the advice though.

What does the actual work on the carts consist of? I wanna know what I might be getting myself into lol.
Honestly, I think leaving it all up to fate is the best way to go. That's how I was with roommates especially. If I got a bad roommate by chance then it wouldn't be my fault, but choosing a roommate ahead of time that ended up sucking? That would be on my shoulders.

Anyways, there were essentially two parts of carts - kitchen and the carts. Oh and a stock team for dry goods like napkins, straws, etc. They were also responsible for the drink carts that went with each cart (heavy things!) and refilled ice. I worked for Stands West (Frontierland, Adventureland, and Liberty Square) so turkey leg, Sleepy Hollow, churro/pretzel, fry cart, Aloha Isle, Sunshine Tree, eggroll cart, hot dog. In the kitchen, people cooked the food and brought it out when they got a radio call for replenishment. At the actual cart, you'd sometimes work yourself and do all functions (register and serve the food), or you'd work with someone and one would do register, one would serve the food. At the beginning of the day, you set up the cart (start heating up any ovens, fill up the chips, etc). At the end of the night, you were responsible for cleaning a cart which involved scrubbing down anything the food touched, fill the napkin holders, dispose of the food that is left, etc.

Trips

October '87, June '91, Summer '93, Summer '97, December '98, July '99, April '00, December '02, August '03, November '03, January - May '07 (College Program),
January '08 (WDW and Disney Wonder), February '08 (DL/CA), December '08, October '09, February '11, January '12, February '13, October '13,
December '13 and on - Florida Resident Annual Pass
Old 12-26-2008, 04:21 PM   #80
Sorahana
I <3 Stitch

Quote:
I have been reading these threads for a long time, however this is my first time posting though not my last! I've been deciding when to do a program and just gathering as much information as possible. I loveee reading these threads!! And Joanna is just a godly wealth of knowledge, I must say!!

I know that all my questions must have been answered previously, but I honestly can't find them at the moment!!

I have decided to do a Fall 2009 program, am nervous since I know that the apps open soon, and I had a couple questions!! :
I thought I'd toss in my two cents as well =). (Need to get more into this being a campus rep now, yay!)

1. I did a Spring program as well, I liked it. FA is longer then Fall, as Spring Advantage is longer then Spring.
2. Why you want to do this, what kind of person would you be looking for for this program, certain situations that may arise, how you'd deal with living situations, etc.
3. Your interest in Disney, how Disney has affected you, your favorite character, your favorite park, what park you'd like to work in, etc.
4. You should tell them about previous work experience. They have a spot for it on the application.
5. It's up to you. You don't have to. They have some courses where you have to do work for and some you don't. They also have classes that focus on a particular area (Communications, Entertainment, Engineering, etc).
6. Apply as early as possible so you have a better chance of getting a role you really want!
~Proud member of the Castaway Club~
Old 12-26-2008, 07:38 PM   #81
razzery
January 5th!

Okay problem here. How many classes are you allowed to take? Like can I do 2 ACE classes and then the engineering professional study?
I'm kinda starting to freak cause the main reason I'm doing the program is for the engineering class but I'll be taking two classes at my university. Disney said I could take time off for the class since it meets twice a week as if it were a Disney class. Does this mean I can't do the engineering class also?
Old 12-26-2008, 07:55 PM   #82
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzery View Post
Okay problem here. How many classes are you allowed to take? Like can I do 2 ACE classes and then the engineering professional study?
I'm kinda starting to freak cause the main reason I'm doing the program is for the engineering class but I'll be taking two classes at my university. Disney said I could take time off for the class since it meets twice a week as if it were a Disney class. Does this mean I can't do the engineering class also?
You can take up to 2 classes for the regular program, and up to 4 classes for the Advantage program.
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Old 12-26-2008, 08:48 PM   #83
MKandy
WDW Cast Member

Quick question:

I do not plan on taking any Disney courses while doing my program. Do you think I should bring a printer? Are there things I need to print?

If I do not take a printer, is there a place I could print things if I needed?

Thanks and have a magical day.

"Jambo Jambo Jambo. You guys look like a wild bunch today!"
Old 12-26-2008, 09:00 PM   #84
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKandy View Post
Quick question:

I do not plan on taking any Disney courses while doing my program. Do you think I should bring a printer? Are there things I need to print?

If I do not take a printer, is there a place I could print things if I needed?

Thanks and have a magical day.
I brought a printer and the only time I used it (outside of class) was to print resumes. However, each apartment complex has a computer lab - so if you plan accordingly then you should have no problems!

Old 12-26-2008, 10:55 PM   #85
SyracuseWolvrine
Hockey Fanatic
Is he a bigger hockey fan than a Canadian?

Northbridge is not (nor was it ever) a Disney housing complex. Northbridge did have some units that were leased to Walt Disney World College and International Programs, who then sub-leased the units to PI program participants. So, Northbridge has not been shut down, it is still there, just possibly not as many Disney Cast living there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraebeth View Post
Also, like gray said they were dramatically cut. some went from having like 10 to have 1 intern! and I believe the internship I applied for(youth education facilitator) which is a department run solely on interns, went from 6 to 3. . .
Umm, not quite.

Disney's Youth Education Series has over 100 active facilitators. Of those, usually around 15 per semester are interns. This semester, the number of interns will be lower than 15 (I can't say how many, because I don't know for sure, but it is less than 15). The rest of the facilitators are either Seasonal or Part time Cast that are statused to YES, or cross-u cast members from other lines of business (this is the category I fall into)

Lauraebeth ... am I reading correctly that you'll be one of the YES interns for this coming semester? If so, congratulations, and welcome to the team. (Send me a PM with any YES specific questions that you may have, and I'll do my best to answer them)
The opinions and comments in the above post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, policies or procedures of the Walt Disney Company or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates, including but not limited to the Walt Disney World Resort and all areas contained therein. Any information or advice in the above post is subject to change at any time without notice. Tampering with, disabling, or destroying lavatory smoke detectors is prohibited. This post may contain nuts or be written by someone who is nuts. Void where prohibited. This post may not be reproduced without express written permission of the Commissioner of Baseball. The moving rubber line is moving at the same speed as you. Member FDIC.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:05 PM   #86
graygables
Doesn't like to discuss the Y2K Picante Sauce thing
I ran away to London (as in England) when I was 17. We lived in Tulsa (as in Oklahoma) at the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyracuseWolvrine View Post
Disney's Youth Education Series has over 100 active facilitators. Of those, usually around 15 per semester are interns. This semester, the number of interns will be lower than 15 (I can't say how many, because I don't know for sure, but it is less than 15). The rest of the facilitators are either Seasonal or Part time Cast that are statused to YES, or cross-u cast members from other lines of business (this is the category I fall into)
Eric,
I'm sending my DDs to the Homeschool Days and spoke with the person in charge of that (w/ YES) who told me they only hired 3 interns this semester, which is where Laura got her info (from me passing it on).

Can you tell me more about the cross-u category? It sounds interesting...

Also, if anyone is a current CM at AK and knows of someone that I could network my 10yo with regarding animal care and rescue, I would certainly appreciate it. She's not old enough for the backstage tour, but she is PASSIONATE about becoming an animal rescuer/caregiver and I would love to see if she could shadow someone for half a day or so.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:12 PM   #87
glendalais
DIS Veteran

Florida might be different in this regard, but here at the DLR, Cross-U (Cross Utilisation) is a programme by which Salaried Cast Members, especially those who work in office environments, pick up work shifts in the park during peak seasons to supplement the normal hourly frontline Cast.

For example, this past Christmas, we've had Salaried Cast Members working some of the Attractions in order to fill shifts that would have otherwise gone empty.

However, that being said, I have noticed that WDW does tend to use the term "Cross-U" in a different way than we do out here, so it might be something totally different over there.

Former Disneyland Resort Cast Member

The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies, nor of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc..

Last edited by glendalais; 12-26-2008 at 11:19 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:39 PM   #88
SyracuseWolvrine
Hockey Fanatic
Is he a bigger hockey fan than a Canadian?

Quote:
Originally Posted by graygables View Post
Eric,
I'm sending my DDs to the Homeschool Days and spoke with the person in charge of that (w/ YES) who told me they only hired 3 interns this semester, which is where Laura got her info (from me passing it on).

Can you tell me more about the cross-u category? It sounds interesting...
3 seems awfully low ... i know that it's less than 15. (and I wouldn't be terribly surprised to learn that there's a little bit of a disconnect between the sales folk and the way things actually end up happening.) I also know that one of the YES program managers commented that they were very happy with the people that they got"

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendalais View Post
Florida might be different in this regard, but here at the DLR, Cross-U (Cross Utilisation) is a programme by which Salaried Cast Members, especially those who work in office environments, pick up work shifts in the park during peak seasons to supplement the normal hourly frontline Cast.
Glen is correct. That's one definition of a cross-u cast member, and we do use it on this coast too. However, we have another definition that we also use, which is the one that applies to my situation with YES.

I'm statused (my "home") is at the Magic Kingdom. (not disclosing my location for privacy reasons). I auditioned for, and was accepted, as a Cross-U YES facilitator. What that means is that periodically, the YES program scheduler will send an email message to myself and my scheduler, asking if YES can use me on a given day, at a given time.

If my scheduler deems that there are enough other people available in our area, he will release me to YES for all or part of that day. If my scheduler releases me for the entire day, after my YES shift is done, I'm done for the day. If he only releases me for part of the day, then I can work with YES for that part of the day (generally, all the YES programs are in the morning/early afternoon), and then I'd have to work in my statused location after that. If there aren't enough people to support me being released to YES, then my scheduler lets me know this, I send an apologetic email to the YES scheduler saying I'm not available, and all is good.

In an average month, YES usually requests me for 2-3 days. I only know 4* of the programs that YES offers, and they also like to spread the work out among the facilitators. Some months, I don't get a cross-u request, some months, I get more (from Nov. 10 - Dec. 13, I spent all or part of 13 days with YES)

*I'm fully trained on 3 programs, and have been trained but still need to checkout on 1 ... 6 of those 13 days in Nov/Dec were to be trained on that 4th program. Also, 3 of them are because I'm a trainer for one of the programs (I train new facilitators), and we were having meetings regarding the upcoming training)
The opinions and comments in the above post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, policies or procedures of the Walt Disney Company or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates, including but not limited to the Walt Disney World Resort and all areas contained therein. Any information or advice in the above post is subject to change at any time without notice. Tampering with, disabling, or destroying lavatory smoke detectors is prohibited. This post may contain nuts or be written by someone who is nuts. Void where prohibited. This post may not be reproduced without express written permission of the Commissioner of Baseball. The moving rubber line is moving at the same speed as you. Member FDIC.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:51 AM   #89
graygables
Doesn't like to discuss the Y2K Picante Sauce thing
I ran away to London (as in England) when I was 17. We lived in Tulsa (as in Oklahoma) at the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyracuseWolvrine View Post
3 seems awfully low
Oh, it doesn't really when you look at how the whole PI thing went this semester. It was an ugly scene of cancelled after cancelled PIs. Even retail management, buh-bye. There were 2 different email rejections, one was the usual "found someone more qualified" and the other was "the position is no longer available". LOTS of those went out.

The cross-u sounds fascinating. If (keeping fingers crossed), I stay on with the company, I'd love to somehow get into the Institute or work with YES. Thanks for sharing what you do!
Old 12-27-2008, 08:39 PM   #90
princessaurora1
Earning My Ears

I have a quick question, which I'm sure has been discussed before (I just can't find it at the moment):

Will I find out what time my housing meeting is on the day that I check-in? And are the housing meetings typically in the afternoon?

My dad is helping me move in on the 21st, but his flight back home is around 3pm. We're trying to decided if I will have time to drive him to the airport, if he should take Disney "Magical Express" from our DVC, of if he should just take a cab to the airport from the apartments. I just wasn't sure how the schedule on check-in day would run, or if I won't find out the schedule until I check in.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: