Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #4066
Praise2Him
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWisMyLaughingPlace View Post
If hired by Disney, I ideally would not want to work in a role that would require me to be outdoors for an extended period of time. I have very pale, fair skin and I am prone to getting very bad sunburns during the summer if I am exposed to the sun for too long, even with SPF 30 on! I also have occurrences of skin cancer in my family. My grandfather has had several minor cases and my mother had a melanomma a few years ago. Thankfully, both are healthy and doing fine! Given this fact, I am very weary about accepting a role that would have me be outside and if I explain the situation to my interviewer, I would hate for this to hurt my chances of being hired, or I would hate to be told that I will have no choice as to where I would be placed. I have heard from friends of mine who are former CPs that your interviewer and recruiter will take medical situations like this into consideration when assigning you your role, but I just wanted to get the board's opinion on this and see if perhaps any of you have run into a similar problem in the past!

Also, one of my top choices for roles is Attractions, and ideally, I would love to work in a show as opposed to a ride. I know that Disney cannot guaruntee requests, but if I could make a request, I would absolutely love to work at Fantasmic in DHS. I'm assuming since the show is at night, if CPs do work Fantasmic, then I would probably be assigned to another attraction during the morning and afternoon hours. Is this true? Also, has anyone here worked at Fantasmic or know of anyone who has in the past? Any information about it would be very helpful!!
I'm not sure about the medical aspect, but hopefully someone else can answer your question. I do know they ask you if you're okay with working outside. Depending on your role and location, you may end up working mostly at night, which would solve your problem I work in the MK at night and most of my coworkers are CPs, since the full and part-timers tend to want daytime hours. Personally I love working at night, because even though it's still hot, there's no sun beaming down on you, plus I get to see/hear Wishes every night!

My DD works at F! in Costuming. That is definitely a nighttime role. Her shifts are usually 4 or 6 pm - midnight. I'm not sure what it would be for Attractions host, but probably similar. When she works F! that is the only place she works that day, but she also works a couple of other locations on other days, it just depends on where they need her. Again, I'm not sure how that would work with Attractions though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHopeful! View Post
A costuming CP would be fun, but I don't know how to sew
Just to let you know, you don't do any sewing for a Costuming CP. It's mostly laundry, pre-setting costumes and dressing performers for shows/parades.

I've copied below a description by Berlioz70 in a different thread about Costuming:

"There are a couple hundred Costuming CPs. Couple hundred sounds like a lot, but in comparison to attractions/merch/F&B it's really not too many.

You are correct, there are 2 main areas: Entertainment (for most CPs it's the character room, but some many also get trained at a show/parade) & Operations.

Depending on where you're trained, you will do different things. Nearly all CPs are trained in at least 2 locations (more if it's a longer program). The first location is assigned based on need. But during your first week you will have a meeting with a Manager, this is your opportunity to express interest in a second location (if it wasn't already assigned). Some roles have additional requirements (valid drivers license), and they'll make sure you meet those if needed.

Ops: hanging speadrail and working the check out counter
Ent: presetting costumes, laundry, and monitoring check out
Shows/Parade: helping performers dress prior to performance/change during show and laundry"

Hope this helps!

Rodney Lisa Kenton Tiffany Kevin Leighton Jayden
Old 05-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #4067
psherman42
Mouseketeer

Just a note, some PIs require that you have completed the CP. Not all, but some.

Disney College Program
Fall 2011: Quick Service Food & Beverage (ABC Commissary)
Spring Advantage 2013: Merchandise (World of Disney)
Fall 2013: Professional Intern
My DCP blog: http://dreamitdoitdisney.tumblr.com/
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #4068
MaximillianGoof
Earning My Ears

Hi everyone! I know this board is mostly WDW knowledgeable, but I have a quick DLR question for anyone who might know the answer. Sorry if it's been asked recently!

I think I read somewhere before that the DLR CP doesn't follow the same dates as WDW. Because of that, I was under the impression that DLR doesn't have Fall/Spring vs. FA/SA and that their semesters are something like May/June-January and January/February-August. Recently, I found the blog of someone who did the DLR CP this past Fall, and he said that they did indeed have FA/SA and regular Fall/Spring like WDW. However, I've also found things that talk about the program being longer. I haven't really been able to find anything official about the dates, so can anyone clarify?

Thanks all!

Last edited by MaximillianGoof; 05-05-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #4069
psherman42
Mouseketeer

For anyone who's done the program more than once, is the phone interview pretty much the same or do they ask you more about your first program?

Disney College Program
Old 05-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #4070
nicolearielsmom
Earning My Ears

My DD is arriving on June 11th as a lifeguard. Does anyone know what kind of shoes she will be required to have?
Old 05-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #4071
mvazul
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolearielsmom View Post
My DD is arriving on June 11th as a lifeguard. Does anyone know what kind of shoes she will be required to have?
I wish I could help. I am arriving June 11th, too. I will be a PhotoPass Photographer and I have no idea what shoes I will need, either.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #4072
MelissaMouse
Getting Disney fever...

When the CP's arrive they usually have a "shoe-mobile" type thing on property somewhere that you can buy your shoes out of. They are called "Shoes for Crews" it's a business out of FL.

M-E-L-I-S-S-A
M-O-U-S-E!!

I am a NEW Adventureland Merch Cast Member as of April 2013!!!

*SeaWorld Team Member*
Old 05-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #4073
mvazul
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaMouse View Post
When the CP's arrive they usually have a "shoe-mobile" type thing on property somewhere that you can buy your shoes out of. They are called "Shoes for Crews" it's a business out of FL.
Awesome!
Old 05-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #4074
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by psherman42 View Post
For anyone who's done the program more than once, is the phone interview pretty much the same or do they ask you more about your first program?
The interview is very similar. However, I did get questions about my other CPs.
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Old 05-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #4075
saturdaygirl
Mouseketeer

if i take a couple of summer courses, what is the next program that i'm able to apply for? spring 2013? or is there a chance for fall 2012? or will i have to enroll for the fall term?
Old 05-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #4076
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturdaygirl View Post
if i take a couple of summer courses, what is the next program that i'm able to apply for? spring 2013? or is there a chance for fall 2012? or will i have to enroll for the fall term?
Disney will be recruiting for Spring 2013 next, in Aug/Sept (Fall 2012 has been closed).
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Old 05-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #4077
bellebookworm9
Future Au.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolearielsmom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvazul View Post
I wish I could help. I am arriving June 11th, too. I will be a PhotoPass Photographer and I have no idea what shoes I will need, either.
Lifeguards are allowed to wear black sandals or crocs, and Photopass wears white athletic shoes. Wait until you get down there for specifics though.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #4078
goofypiratehunter
Don't Fear the Darkness

Hey!

I know this question has probably been asked before, but I was intimidated when I saw there were several hundred pages to look through. So here is goes...

How long in the program? I plan to apply for and will hopefully participate in the program next spring semester, but my family has early-ish Summer plans after school lets out. Also, I would like to attend my school's graduation in early May, though that is not a must.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #4079
psherman42
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofypiratehunter View Post
Hey!

I know this question has probably been asked before, but I was intimidated when I saw there were several hundred pages to look through. So here is goes...

How long in the program? I plan to apply for and will hopefully participate in the program next spring semester, but my family has early-ish Summer plans after school lets out. Also, I would like to attend my school's graduation in early May, though that is not a must.

Thanks in advance
The spring program is January-May. Spring Advantage is January-August.

Disney College Program
Old 05-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #4080
Praise2Him
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofypiratehunter View Post
The date you leave depends on your check in date, so the earlier the better. In 2010 my DD checked in on the first available date (I think around Jan. 6 or 8) and her last day was May 5.

Rodney Lisa Kenton Tiffany Kevin Leighton Jayden
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: