Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 09:32 PM   #1501
iMia345
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroToHero View Post
You can do Career Start before you graduate high school - you just have to be close to finishing. I'm not sure of how close though...

I don't think you would ever work 100 hours a week. That's around 14 hours a day, if you work 7 days a week... nor is it common to have 3-4 days off a week. You have to trade days and stuff to get that. I suggest checking out the thread about blogs... they can give you a lot of info about experience.
I see! Could you please tell me more about the "trading" aspect. I haven't been able to find out about that anywhere! Thanks!
Old 12-08-2009, 11:45 PM   #1502
Scully12
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMia345 View Post
I see! Could you please tell me more about the "trading" aspect. I haven't been able to find out about that anywhere! Thanks!
You can trade shifts with other people so say if I have a Thursday shift but something comes up and I can't (or don't want to) work I could trade my Thursday shift for someones Friday shift.

You can also give away shifts you don't want or pick up extra shifts.

There are rules about over time that I can't fully remember anymore...you can't pick up a shift if it will cause you to go into over time (just for the week I believe? yes?) unless you are already in over time?

Over time for over time regular time for regualr time. Thats what I'm trying to say I think hahah It's been almost 2 years.

BTW You do all this in the online center called the HUB. Schedules will approve it or not approve it for whatever reason.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2009, 12:39 AM   #1503
Scully12
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMia345 View Post
I've talked to people here who have went and they said sometimes you are over worked and work 100 hours a week, which is terrifying to me
The most I ever worked in a week was 72 hours during spring break time but that was a lot of voluntary overtime/extending my workdays. I think I was originally scheduled 60 something hours and that only lasted for 2 weeks. My normal schedules were around 40 hours.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:16 AM   #1504
glendalais
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scully12 View Post
You can trade shifts with other people so say if I have a Thursday shift but something comes up and I can't (or don't want to) work I could trade my Thursday shift for someones Friday shift.

You can also give away shifts you don't want or pick up extra shifts.

There are rules about over time that I can't fully remember anymore...you can't pick up a shift if it will cause you to go into over time (just for the week I believe? yes?) unless you are already in over time?

Over time for over time regular time for regualr time. Thats what I'm trying to say I think hahah It's been almost 2 years.

BTW You do all this in the online center called the HUB. Schedules will approve it or not approve it for whatever reason.
At the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida, there's a whole litany of rules about trading and giving away shifts.

Off the top of my head.....

CT/CR/CPs can't give shifts to FT CMs because it generally causes them to incur 6/7 Day OT.

CP/FTs need to be careful about giving shifts to CT and CR CMs because of labour utilization rules (generally no more than 25 hours per week)

No overtime for straight time or vice versa. Straight time for straight time and OT for OT is fine.

FTs can't give away shifts in a manner that causes them to fall below their 32-week average.

And that's just the tip of it. The easiest way to figure it out is to submit a request to the Labor Service Center and see if they approve it.

Former Disneyland Resort Cast Member

The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies, nor of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc..
Old 12-09-2009, 06:39 AM   #1505
ZeroToHero
DIS Veteran

How fast do they usually get back to you? I assume they're pretty quick about it, but I could be wrong - they may have to review it...

Right now, if I send something in to work, it usually takes a few days/weeks to hear back, but we're not exactly Disney... by any means (especially customer service.. ugh. I hate apathy.)
Old 12-09-2009, 09:14 AM   #1506
glendalais
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroToHero View Post
How fast do they usually get back to you? I assume they're pretty quick about it, but I could be wrong - they may have to review it...

Right now, if I send something in to work, it usually takes a few days/weeks to hear back, but we're not exactly Disney... by any means (especially customer service.. ugh. I hate apathy.)
I think the standard Labor Operations aims for is within two days for most requests, or by 3 PM the next day for urgent/extremely short notice requests.

Former Disneyland Resort Cast Member

The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies, nor of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc..
Old 12-09-2009, 11:45 AM   #1507
rcpromike
Operations nut

So then if I'm sitting at, say...38 hours on my schedule, and I want to pick up another 12 hours or so, I wouldn't be able to because I'm not already over 40 hours on my regular schedule? I just can't quite grasp the idea of working less than 50 hour weeks at a park (plus, the more I work, the less opportunity I have to blow money on a trip to Uni, Sea World, and Hard Rock Cafe).

Want to help out?
Old 12-09-2009, 12:18 PM   #1508
kmg148
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpromike View Post
So then if I'm sitting at, say...38 hours on my schedule, and I want to pick up another 12 hours or so, I wouldn't be able to because I'm not already over 40 hours on my regular schedule? I just can't quite grasp the idea of working less than 50 hour weeks at a park (plus, the more I work, the less opportunity I have to blow money on a trip to Uni, Sea World, and Hard Rock Cafe).
You wouldn't be able to pick up a shift at your location, at least that's my experience. They could schedule you overtime, but you couldn't pick up a friend's day for instance.

As for picking up, I had a bunch of friends (since I worked at night only) at my location that would pick up shifts around spring break when there were a lot of postings. Sometimes they had overtime. I think technically you aren't supposed to do this, I never did, but they still got the OT pay!

It's really confusing to explain but makes more sense when you are working!
Old 12-09-2009, 02:24 PM   #1509
ZeroToHero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmg148 View Post
You wouldn't be able to pick up a shift at your location, at least that's my experience. They could schedule you overtime, but you couldn't pick up a friend's day for instance.

As for picking up, I had a bunch of friends (since I worked at night only) at my location that would pick up shifts around spring break when there were a lot of postings. Sometimes they had overtime. I think technically you aren't supposed to do this, I never did, but they still got the OT pay!

It's really confusing to explain but makes more sense when you are working!
This is what I was about to ask - I'm sure once you see it, it will all make sense.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:55 PM   #1510
teamlouise
Mouseketeer

Quick question about professional attire... It says that hems can only be as high as 3 inches above the knees -- is that sitting or standing?
FALL 2010 ♥ COLLEGE PROGRAM BLOG, VLOG
♥ Fall 2010 CP Attractions Cast Member at Disneyland ♥
Old 12-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #1511
ZeroToHero
DIS Veteran

Standing. A good quick measurement (depending on how long your arms are) is to hold your arms down, and look where your fingertips are. Your skirt should be longer than that. If you have short arms, then this doesn't work as well... but I have about 4 inches from my arms to my knees if I flex (?) my shoulders down... so I aim for a little bit longer than my fingertips.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:28 PM   #1512
AliSW
\

So I was wondering, if I get accepted and do the fall program, what do most people do when they come back? I mean if they start classes again, how do they have somewhere to live? Since you usually have to sign up in the spring and be there for the year. I could live at home but I don't want to haha.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:52 PM   #1513
teamlouise
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliSW View Post
So I was wondering, if I get accepted and do the fall program, what do most people do when they come back? I mean if they start classes again, how do they have somewhere to live? Since you usually have to sign up in the spring and be there for the year. I could live at home but I don't want to haha.
I think you need to talk to your school's housing department about that one before you go. At most schools, you'll be able to snag a vacant bed at the start of the next quarter thanks to the natural process of other people going off to study abroad or dropping out. I don't think you'll have to go live at home.
FALL 2010 ♥ COLLEGE PROGRAM BLOG, VLOG
♥ Fall 2010 CP Attractions Cast Member at Disneyland ♥
Old 12-13-2009, 08:28 PM   #1514
OnceUponAStar*
Future Imagineer :-)

I was wondering when WDW hires heavily for summer seasonal cast members? (Not College Program)
July 01-Disney Cruise 7 night Eastern Caribbean
August 02-Polynesian
August 04-Wilderness Lodge
August 05-Contemporary
July 06-Animal Kingdom Lodge and WDW Dolphin
June 07- Beach Club
July 07- Pop Century
Oct 08-Birthday Weekend
Dec 08-Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party
Aug 09-Bay Lake Tower
Oct 09-Birthday Weekend & Halloween Party
Summer 2010: Hopeful WDW Seasonal Cast Member
Fall 2012 WDWCP?

Old 12-13-2009, 08:31 PM   #1515
MTEPCOT55
Earning My Ears

Do CPers get Cast Member discounts to other parks in the area like Sea World & Universal? If so can they get season pass discounts as well?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: